PDA

View Full Version : DG running kid's camp in Albuquerque...

loborick
07-25-2006, 11:41 AM
He and Brian Urlacher are probably the most popular ex-Lobos and continue to give back to New Mexico. Check out the smiles on their faces on the homepage to Wolf-Bytes.net (the best UNM fan site). He is a unique individual and we (New Mexico and Indiana) are very lucky to have him as a representative.

http://www.wolf-bytes.net/

317Kim
07-25-2006, 11:45 AM
http://www.wolf-bytes.net/index_files/RedFrame.gif

They look like they're having a ton of fun! :)

rel
07-25-2006, 12:26 PM
YEA!!

Danny Granger for President!

rexnom
07-25-2006, 12:29 PM
This guy is well on his way to becoming the most likable Pacer ever.

Anthem
07-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Has he gained some upper body mass over the summer?

Frank Slade
07-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Has he gained some upper body mass over the summer?

So it wasn't only me. First impression does appear he has bulked up a bit.

rexnom
07-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Well, now he knows he is going to play the 3 for sure so he can probably go to the weight room with that in mind.

Kent_Brockman
07-25-2006, 05:50 PM
There is an story about the camp in today's Albuquerque Tribune. Here is a link.

http://www.abqtrib.com/albq/sp_pro_sports/article/0,2564,ALBQ_19876_4868771,00.html

Naptown_Seth
07-25-2006, 06:05 PM
So it wasn't only me. First impression does appear he has bulked up a bit.
I thought he looked a little bigger in the summer league, but the compression on the video was so bad you couldn't be sure. They sure did post him a lot and he played both ends almost more like a big than a wing.

Before we go off half-cocked here, keep in mind that I think Bird even slipped out some comments about Danny staying consistant about his effort, and I think DG even admitted to some need for growth after last season.

Stuff like this camp should certainly help that, but I expect there will be some bumps in the road the first couple of years too. He's still a young guy.

Let's not forget that Reggie was a different sort of person/player when he first joined the team. Brash, cocky, flashy...his nickname was "Hollywood" for a couple of seasons, long before the Boom Baby and the playoff heroics took over.

I like what I think Danny is and will become, but he needs to make good on that promise on and off the court, especially now that the team is handing him more responsibility for their success or failure.

Sometimes players are more likeable before they've had the chance to be the big failure or hero is all I'm saying. One of those steps - Kids camp in Albuquerque, something to be proud of for certain.

jjbjjbjjb
07-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Let's not forget that Reggie was a different sort of person/player when he first joined the team. Brash, cocky, flashy...his nickname was "Hollywood" for a couple of seasons, long before the Boom Baby and the playoff heroics took over.

I like what I think Danny is and will become, but he needs to make good on that promise on and off the court, especially now that the team is handing him more responsibility for their success or failure.

Sometimes players are more likeable before they've had the chance to be the big failure or hero is all I'm saying. One of those steps - Kids camp in Albuquerque, something to be proud of for certain.

Have you been reading me over on the IndyStar board, Seth? ;)

Part of what I wrote earlier this afternoon over there:

The young Reggie Miller absolutely would have been on the "bad guys" list. Eternally talking smack on the court, arguing with officials (think back, he definitely did it a lot when younger), bowing to a crowd in Chicago then getting beat by Kukoc, never being much of a defender, and having a huge cocky attitude when he'd never won anything. Reggie Miller was not a hero in this town from 1987 to 1993, and he wasn't even the best player on the Pacers until 1992. My dad, the quintessential Indianapolis sports fan, couldn't stand Miller in his younger days (and my dad never did fully embrace Reggie). It was WINNING, standing up to the Knicks and mentally out-toughing them -- not out-good-guying them -- that made the Pacers and Miller a success story. Eventually, when Reggie had achieved all he was going to achieve as a front-line player and was universally accepted, he relaxed and became good-guy Uncle Reggie. But as a younger guy he burned to win, he fought and scratched to do it, and he was a bad dude. (Should've drafted Alford, I suppose!)

You know, Chuck Person was a "bad guy" too. So the two best players this franchise ever had in the NBA were bad guys. Both "good guys" now, sure, but that's what age and success does to a person, they CHANGE them. (The fact that people grow and learn is another thing rarely understood in these parts, but that's probably why people who grow and learn a lot tend to move away.)