View Full Version : Kings sign Salmons, not Bonzi

Unclebuck
07-24-2006, 08:52 PM
Kings fans aren't too happy about this. Where can Bonzi go now

http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14278&page=2

Shade
07-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Wow. I don't like the sound of this.

Bonzi for the MLE? Does he have a choice?

J_2_Da_IzzO
07-24-2006, 08:54 PM
I still have this feeling he might end up with us. I can see SJax out of here and Bonzi in.

Kegboy
07-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Wow. I don't like the sound of this.

Bonzi for the MLE? Does he have a choice?

Shut your mouth. Seriously, shut your ****ing mouth!

I'm going to go throw up now.

rexnom
07-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Um...Donnie Walsh specifically stated that the Pacers are not interested in Bonzi Wells.

Shade
07-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Shut your mouth. Seriously, shut your ****ing mouth!

I'm going to go throw up now.

I'm not saying I want him, or even that he would sign here for the MLE. But does he have any other options on the table?

Yeesh.

Unclebuck
07-24-2006, 08:58 PM
If we could sign Bonzi for the MLE would you do it

Kegboy
07-24-2006, 08:58 PM
I'm not saying I want him, or even that he would sign here for the MLE. But does he have any other options on the table?

Yeesh.

He can pull a Latrell.

Jay Ohh
07-24-2006, 08:59 PM
SIGN HIM LARRY

I don't give a damn what anybody says, Bonzi is a baller. Plays defense, rebounds and he's a great low post scorer. Exactly what we need. Not to mention our starters D and rebounding would be amazing.

Shade
Um...Donnie Walsh specifically stated that the Pacers are not interested in Bonzi Wells.

Did he? Do you have a quote?

Kegboy

Sure. What's the point of having 1 shooting guard who can't shoot when you can have 5.

Shade
07-24-2006, 09:00 PM
He can pull a Latrell.

Yeah, 'cause that worked out so well for Spree. His poor family... :shakehead

rexnom
07-24-2006, 09:03 PM
Did he? Do you have a quote?
Well, after we traded for Marquis and Donnie gave that "press conference" (available on Pacers.com). Someone asked him if the Pacers were pursuing Bonzi and Al. Donnie said that the Pacers were very interested in one but in the other (I'm assuming Al was the one).

Ralph Snart
07-24-2006, 09:04 PM
It sucks to be a King's fan right now. John Salmons? Blech...

Shade
07-24-2006, 09:05 PM
Well, after we traded for Marquis and Donnie gave that "press conference" (available on Pacers.com). Someone asked him if the Pacers were pursuing Bonzi and Al. Donnie said that the Pacers were very interested in one but in the other (I'm assuming Al was the one).

That doesn't mean he wouldn't be interested in getting the other for the MLE.

Eindar
07-24-2006, 09:05 PM
I don't care what you feelings are about Bonzi as a person. If he's willing to come here for the MLE, you do it, trade Jackson for whatever you can get, and laugh all the way to the bank.

PacerMan
07-24-2006, 09:07 PM
I don't care what you feelings are about Bonzi as a person. If he's willing to come here for the MLE, you do it, trade Jackson for whatever you can get, and laugh all the way to the bank.

Exactly wrong. After what this organization just went through, I guarantee you that their feelings about Bonzi as a person has EVERYTHING to do with whether there is a place here for him or not.

Fireball Kid
07-24-2006, 09:09 PM
SIGN HIM LARRY

I don't give a damn what anybody says, Bonzi is a baller. Plays defense, rebounds and he's a great low post scorer. Exactly what we need. Not to mention our starters D and rebounding would be amazing.

We're gonna be one of the worst shooting teams in the entire league if we sign this guy. Bonzi, Jackson, 'Quis, and Tinsley are all poor perimeter shooters. Another post-up player is the last thing this team needs.

Ralph Snart
He may have to do what Jackson did with Atlanta, and sign the MLE for a year, and play his butt off again for a decent contract. If that's the case, he'll probably sign on the cheap with a contender.

Reading the Kings board, I'm glad that's not us.

ARTESTINMYHEART
Exactly wrong. After what this organization just went through, I guarantee you that their feelings about Bonzi as a person has EVERYTHING to do with whether there is a place here for him or not.

B.S. Only fans care about such things and not even most of them...all Donnie Walsh cares about is winning and if Bonzi can help the Pacers win the championship or become an Elite team then do it. Would you rather have a team like the Jazz who have great "character" players who fail to make the playoffs year in and year out.

Eindar
07-24-2006, 09:10 PM

I was talking about what they "should" do, not what they "will" do. I don't think we'll take the risk either, but I think it's a risk that's worth taking for the MLE.

rel
07-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Aaawwwwww...Where's RON ARTEST (the poster not the player)...he mustn't be happy right now

J_2_Da_IzzO
07-24-2006, 09:13 PM
If we was to have the chance to sign Bonzi for the MLE and declined I would honestly cry. Even if he was to pull an artest he would be easily tradeable.

Ralph Snart
07-24-2006, 09:14 PM
Also, what's the over/under on Artest killing Bonzi now?

rexnom
07-24-2006, 09:25 PM
He may have to do what Jackson did with Atlanta, and sign the MLE for a year, and play his butt off again for a decent contract. If that's the case, he'll probably sign on the cheap with a contender.

Reading the Kings board, I'm glad that's not us.
Jack didn't sign for the MLE. Even if they had the MLE left (they gave it to Salmons), they wouldn't get Bonzi's Bird rights so there would be nothing in it for him if he just signed for a year (except for maybe hoping he can get a better contract next summer).

aero
07-24-2006, 09:26 PM

Id rather have Bonzi then SJax any day of the week

rexnom
07-24-2006, 09:26 PM
Btw, if we have the chance to sign him, I say go for it. Obviously we're missing a shooter or two, but still, Bonzi is a talent.

aero
07-24-2006, 09:28 PM
If we get Bonzi should SJax be on the trading block or what ?

vapacersfan
07-24-2006, 09:31 PM
Kings fans aren't too happy about this. Where can Bonzi go now

http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14278&page=2

Where is our resident Kings "fan" right now.

It sure didnt take him long to find this place when Peja sat out that playoff game, and he has been singing high praises on Bonzi since I can remember...
----------------------------------------------------------

SIGN HIM LARRY

Besides him having no class, being a racist, and frankly just a pure idiot, your right, he is exactly what we need.

Jay Ohh
07-24-2006, 09:31 PM
We're gonna be one of the worst shooting teams in the entire league if we sign this guy. Bonzi, Jackson, 'Quis, and Tinsley are all poor perimeter shooters. Another post-up player is the last thing this team needs.

We're already one of the worst shooting teams in the entire league. We should sign Bonzi and go for Kareem Rush or Eddie House.

vapacersfan
07-24-2006, 09:33 PM
B.S. Only fans care about such things and not even most of them...all Donnie Walsh cares about is winning and if Bonzi can help the Pacers win the championship or become an Elite team then do it. Would you rather have a team like the Jazz who have great "character" players who fail to make the playoffs year in and year out.

BS? Far from it.

Donnie and I pray to goodness Larry learned their lasson about falling in love with talent, we already dealt with Artest, we are trying to gain a good repuation, not become the Trailblazers of the east.

And I want to be a team that has class and character guys and is contending for a title.

Jay Ohh
07-24-2006, 09:37 PM
And I want to be a team that has class and character guys and is contending for a title.

We already closed that window when we got rid of AJ, Cro, and Freddie Jones aka baked beans instead of Jamaal Tinsley and Stephen Jackson. Looks like the organization doesn't give a crap anymore.

vapacersfan
07-24-2006, 09:46 PM
We already closed that window when we got rid of AJ, Cro, and Freddie Jones aka baked beans instead of Jamaal Tinsley and Stephen Jackson. Looks like the organization doesn't give a crap anymore.

Far from it.

Its way early to say they dont give a crap...

Will Galen
07-24-2006, 09:48 PM
The Pacers are not going to pick up Bonzi. He's much worse than Ron and we got rid of him even though he is very talented.

beast23
07-24-2006, 10:01 PM
SIGN HIM LARRY

I don't give a damn what anybody says, Bonzi is a baller. Plays defense, rebounds and he's a great low post scorer. Exactly what we need. Not to mention our starters D and rebounding would be amazing.I've never tried to discourage anyone from posting. But what the hell, here goes.

This is NOT a "bright" idea. Some things thought are much better off never voiced or written. Signing Bonzi is one of them.

If Bonzi were willing to sign for the vets' minimum, I STILL WOULD NOT SIGN HIM.

And that is neither an exageration nor a joke.

Tom White
07-24-2006, 10:05 PM

No.

Simple as that.

No.

SoupIsGood
07-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Good move for the Kings. They have Martin waiting in the wings, he's more of a true SG and one heck of a player. Salmons is also decent.

Anthem
07-24-2006, 10:08 PM
If we could move Jack and Tinsley for something decent, I'd consider it.

Jay Ohh
07-24-2006, 10:10 PM
I've never tried to discourage anyone from posting. But what the hell, here goes.

This is NOT a "bright" idea. Some things thought are much better off never voiced or written. Signing Bonzi is one of them.

If Bonzi were willing to sign for the vets' minimum, I STILL WOULD NOT SIGN HIM.

And that is neither an exageration nor a joke.

You're crazy, then. That's crazy talk.

beast23
07-24-2006, 10:16 PM
You're crazy, then. That's crazy talk.No, not at all. I would dare to say that you've not been paying attention to his rap sheet. For example, one recently posted by Skaut H.

Check it out, think about it, then get back to us.

If you still hold your opinion, then I'd just have to say that your value system and my value system are worlds apart.

SoupIsGood
07-24-2006, 10:18 PM
We just dumped AJ because he was supposedly a slightly negative presence in the locker room. We ain't getting Bonzi.

Anthem
07-24-2006, 10:21 PM
We just dumped AJ because he was supposedly a slightly negative presence in the locker room. We ain't getting Bonzi.
If you're in stockpile mode, getting a guy for 70% of his worth has to be considered a good thing.

Only if we'd already gotten rid of our other knuckleheads, though.

rexnom
07-24-2006, 10:23 PM
I'd say you are right.

Jay Ohh
No, not at all. I would dare to say that you've not been paying attention to his rap sheet. For example, one recently posted by Skaut H.

Check it out, think about it, then get back to us.

If you still hold your opinion, then I'd just have to say that your value system and my value system are worlds apart.

Basketball isn't a game of values. Would people say Kobe has the best values? No, but most people would chop off their balls and hand them over on a silver platter so he could be on their team.

It's all about the deepest teams with the best players. Who wants high values guys if they can't play? We tried that last year, and it didn't work out too well.

Kegboy

No, we dumped AJ because he supposedly had the potential to perhaps one day be a slightly negative presence in the locker room. :banghead:

Anyway, regardless of Bonzi's baggage, he's still a half court, post up SG. Having 3 guys clog the post and the other 2 trying to attack the rim just ain't gonna work.

Hicks
07-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Just say no to Bonzi.

Naptown_Seth
07-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Far from it.

Its way early to say they dont give a crap...
I agree. Kevin Lee already implied that perhaps AJ wasn't such a great lockerroom guy and we've heard rumblings that maybe the team wasn't so pleased with some of Fred's work ethic and limits of his game.

These are guys that to fans seemed very friendly and likeable, but within the team it is POSSIBLE that they weren't really the best "team" guys. We have heard from players that they like Jack and that they like Tinsley.

Maybe it wasn't Jack or Tins souring the water as much as other players doing it to them. It's hard to know till we see the team in action this fall, but if they come out fresh and active I think some people will need to eat crow on knowing that DW and Bird weren't fixing the problem.

BTW, at the MLE you've got to look at it at least. That's a "crazy" (hardy har) price. Seriously. You don't have to do it, but you have to look at it. Lots of talent for the money. If they insider word back to DW is that Bonzi really is a problem, then you pass. If the word is reformed then maybe you get a lot better by getting 2 of the better FAs for both under market value.

JayRedd
07-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Am I missing something here? How does the Kings signing Salmons mean that they won't re-sign Bonzi too? Salmons isn't a starter per se, and the Kings do have Bird rights on Bonzi, correct? So they can still re-sign him. Are they definetely not spending any more money and we know this? I'm confused.

Furthermore, does Artest still kill Bonzi? Or does he kill Salmons for taking Bonzi's contract? Or does he kill the Maloofs? If so, which ones? All four? Or just the two involved in baskeball operations?

So many questions.

Anthem
07-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Would people say Kobe has the best values? No, but most people would chop off their balls and hand them over on a silver platter so he could be on their team.
Most people are morons, then.

I prefer being flat-chested and retaining the ability to father children.

purdue101
07-24-2006, 11:08 PM
Am I missing something here? How does the Kings signing Salmons mean that they won't re-sign Bonzi too? Salmons isn't a starter per se, and the Kings do have Bird rights on Bonzi, correct? So they can still re-sign him. Are they definetely not spending any more money and we know this? I'm confused.

Furthermore, does Artest still kill Bonzi? Or does he kill Salmons for taking Bonzi's contract? Or does he kill the Maloofs? If so, which ones? All four? Or just the two involved in baskeball operations?

So many questions.

i'm sure he'll wait to kill bonzi until after the pacers have traded a player or two along with a few picks for him. it wouldn't seem right unless it somehow set our franchise back a few years.

Jay Ohh
07-24-2006, 11:08 PM
Yeah, having your balls intact does have it's benefits.

Lbuckingham
07-24-2006, 11:12 PM
Let me get this right....Al and JO are best friends...Bonzi and JO are best friends. AL and Bonzi are good friends. We are not going to sign Bonzi because we are building a team around his two best friends in his home state and he is going to be a "character" problem? Maybe we are not building a team of character guys, but isn't it possible to have good chemistry without having great character guys. I.E. Ben and Rasheed Wallace?

JayRedd
07-24-2006, 11:17 PM
Let me get this right....Al and JO are best friends...Bonzi and JO are best friends. AL and Bonzi are good friends. We are not going to sign Bonzi because we are building a team around his two best friends in his home state and he is going to be a "character" problem? Maybe we are not building a team of character guys, but isn't it possible to have good chemistry without having great character guys. I.E. Ben and Rasheed Wallace?

Agreed. I really don't think Bonzi would be a problem here. You can't pass up that kind of talent for the MLE.

I feel like a lot of us here are now like the paranoid boyfriend who just found out his fiancee had been cheating on him with his best friend for the past year. And now, every girl we see we think is a dirty, filthy, no good....you get the rest.

The chances of Bonzi doing anything even remotely resembling anything that Ron pulled is slim to none in my book. Less so the Jax. I do have to say though that I'm not as familiar with his past indiscretions being as serious as some of you seem to be letting on. I'll look into it I guess, but right now, I'm not too worried about Bonzi flipping the f out if he's surrounded by Al and JO in Indianapolis.

Naptown_Seth
07-25-2006, 01:32 AM
Redd, I agree about the "and why won't they sign Bonzi too" angle.

rexnom
07-25-2006, 01:41 AM
Redd, I agree about the "and why won't they sign Bonzi too" angle.
"Geoff Petrie appeared on KHTK-AM show Sportsline 1140 with Grant Napear and Mike Lamb to announce the deal and also clarify that the team would no longer pursue re-signing Bonzi Wells (http://www.realgm.com/src_playerfile/171/bonzi_wells/)."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41646/20060724/kings_sign_salmons_will_let_wells_walk/

I think they got tired of him not accepting their offer which was a little more than the MLE IIRC and so they withdrew it.
I don't understand this move at all for the Kings really. Bonzi seemed like a great fit there. And Salmons isn't exactly one of those "tough" players that the Kings said they were looking for. And as good as Kevin Martin is, he is not so good that they an afford to just let Bonzi go. Oh well. Not my problem.

Will Galen
07-25-2006, 02:02 AM
Let me get this right....Al and JO are best friends...Bonzi and JO are best friends. AL and Bonzi are good friends. We are not going to sign Bonzi because we are building a team around his two best friends in his home state and he is going to be a "character" problem?

YES!

He hasn't changed in ten years! This is from a Skaut_Ech post.
http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=425472
Post #34.

1996- Involved in domestic disturbance with his longtime girlfriend partially over him demanding sex and her not wanting it. She suffered scratches. He suffered a tornup apartment. No charges filed after both families decided to talk things through.

1999-Shoved a security guard in Phoenix.

2000-May-Threatened Desert News columnist Doug Robinson in the locker room. Robinson overheard Well plotting to do physical harm to Jeff Hornacek and Howard Eisley . When Robinson asked him what he meant to do, Welles repeatedly told him to not print what he said and if he did, Wells was come after him.

2002-March- Threw a forearm to Darvin Hamís neck. Was fined.

2002-December 20- Bonzi Wells threw a punch at Chris Mills right after the buzzer went off to end the game. When the punch failed to connect, Bonzi started taunting Mills as he did the moonwalk (Yes, I said moonwalk) back into his locker room. Wells was suspended for two games.

2002-November-Spit on Danny Ferry. Reportedly was making racial comments towards him.

2000-November-Bonzi threw his headband at referee Tim Donaghy and knocked over a water cooler before leaving the court after being ejected from the game. Got a suspension.

2001-September-Bonzi was out at a nightclub near closing when a fight broke out. As officers calmed the disturbance, Wells and a couple of his friends started shouting profanities at the officers. They were told to leave. They refused. He was cited for criminal trespass.

2003--He was been fined/suspended no fewer than five times over a two
years time span. In an attempt to reach out, Cheeks named Wells
team tri-captain to start the season. Bonzi responded by giving Portland fans the finger
after the third game (in Philly. The said he didnít remember doing it, he must have blacked out, then winked at the camera.) and cussing out his coach in the middle of a game after the 10th game. Cheeks, saying he is "sick of it," slapped Wells with a two-game suspension.

2003- This is about Rasheed being Rasheed, but then Wells co-signing by 1. laughing at a hurt teammate.

""As they were leaving the practice facility Wednesday, the morning of their final shootaround together, [Bonzi] Wells and [Rasheed] Wallace saw Ruben Boumtje Boumtje shooting jump shots some 100 feet away with his back turned to them.

Wallace slapped Wells on the back and said, "Watch this." Then he picked up a ball, reared back and fired a 100-foot, baseball-style strike that left Boumtje Boumtje writhing the floor. Trainers were summoned. After a few scary minutes, Boumtje Boumtje walked off, OK.

Wells and Wallace?

They giggled like schoolchildren and ran away the moment their teammate hit the canvas."

Just the kind of guy you want to improve locker room chemistry. Right."

2003-March-Suspended for conduct detrimental to team.

2005-July-Bonzi is a changed man, Right. Read this:

http://www.truehoop.com/sacramento-k...ew-leaves.html

"Bonzi will change here," one of the print reporters told me, "Jerry West won't put up with him if he doesn't. Plus, Portland was the wrong environment for him. Too much media scrutiny."

I wandered further down the hall, where there was a back door to the arena and who should I find standing there?

Bonzi himself. He was asking a security guard how he could get from the hallway to the locker room without having to pass the media who were all there to welcome him to Memphis.

Then, he saw me and we exchanged out usual hello.

"Hi Bonzi," I said.

"You're a punk (expletive) (expletive)," he said.

Now that Wells is reportedly off to the west coast, Canzano closes with "Good luck Sacramento."
2006: March, fined $5000 for punching a ball into the fans in protest of a call against him.

2006-GQ named him as one of the most hated athletes in pro sports.

3. This is the guy who was such a problem child for a great guy and coach like Hubie Brown that he ended being so disruptive to the team that they traded him for lesser value (Wesley Person) just to unload him.

4. Playing for Jerry West in a great organization like that one and under non-abrasive coaches like Hubie Brown and Mike Fratello, Bonzi had this to say- ""*?&% it. They can trade me, all I care about is the 15th and 30th of the month (pay day)." [Notice that he had the best season of his career in a CONTRACT YEAR. Anyone else remember Tim Thomas pulling the same schtick?]

5. The guy has been disruptive on every team he's been on. The only reason he hasn't pulled anything in Sacramento is that he's not a moron. Contract year=play well=get paid=start acting like a jerk again.

RON ARTEST
07-25-2006, 02:51 AM
Aaawwwwww...Where's RON ARTEST (the poster not the player)...he mustn't be happy right nowyou guys think im upset? i think this is a good buisness move to not sign bonzi for 5 years 40 million because in a couple years he wont be worth that and then kings fans will be complaining about that. since we have kevin martin im not really that pissed that bonzi is gone, the same way you guys felt when peja left and you guys talked about granger starting. geoff petrie mentioned on the radio that hes looking at some trades and i think bonzi will still be signed and traded so were not done yet. GO KINGS!

rexnom
07-25-2006, 03:09 AM
you guys think im upset? i think this is a good buisness move to not sign bonzi for 5 years 40 million because in a couple years he wont be worth that and then kings fans will be complaining about that. since we have kevin martin im not really that pissed that bonzi is gone, the same way you guys felt when peja left and you guys talked about granger starting. geoff petrie mentioned on the radio that hes looking at some trades and i think bonzi will still be signed and traded so were not done yet. GO KINGS!
Really? Are you sure you're not just saying that? Because your namesake is probably somewhere right now either a.) throwing things or b.) having a hard time choosing between the rope, the lead pipe, the knife, the revolver, the candlestick, and the wrench.

Diesel_81
07-25-2006, 04:11 AM
I wouldn't touch him. I think the guy is a bigger knuckle head then Jackson is and were basically trying to give Jackson away. I think for the most part Jackson and Wells are on the same level from a performace standpoint so I don't see a huge upgrade at all.

I would say this if Bonzi Wells played to his talent level in all 82 games he would be a real star in this league and maybe then I would take a chance on him. I've seen him dominate games where other teams have no answer for him, but then I've seen others where he seems to have mental lapses. I just don't think he's worth the trouble.

Will Galen
07-25-2006, 05:13 AM
Bonzi was in a good spot in Sac and he went and threw it all away by over valuing himself. He see's players that he's obviously better than and he thinks he should make as much money or even more than them. However, his reputation is so bad that teams will not take a big chance on him.

Why can't people with rotten attitudes see the benefits of changing?

Knucklehead Warrior
07-25-2006, 09:37 AM

He will. The problem is, he'll be about 50 years old. :laugh:

JayRedd
07-25-2006, 10:49 AM
YES!

He hasn't changed in ten years! This is from a Skaut_Ech post.
http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=425472
Post #34.

1996- Involved in domestic disturbance with his longtime girlfriend partially over him demanding sex and her not wanting it. She suffered scratches. He suffered a tornup apartment. No charges filed after both families decided to talk things through.

1999-Shoved a security guard in Phoenix.

2000-May-Threatened Desert News columnist Doug Robinson in the locker room. Robinson overheard Well plotting to do physical harm to Jeff Hornacek and Howard Eisley . When Robinson asked him what he meant to do, Welles repeatedly told him to not print what he said and if he did, Wells was come after him.

2002-March- Threw a forearm to Darvin Ham’s neck. Was fined.

2002-December 20- Bonzi Wells threw a punch at Chris Mills right after the buzzer went off to end the game. When the punch failed to connect, Bonzi started taunting Mills as he did the moonwalk (Yes, I said moonwalk) back into his locker room. Wells was suspended for two games.

2002-November-Spit on Danny Ferry. Reportedly was making racial comments towards him.

2000-November-Bonzi threw his headband at referee Tim Donaghy and knocked over a water cooler before leaving the court after being ejected from the game. Got a suspension.

2001-September-Bonzi was out at a nightclub near closing when a fight broke out. As officers calmed the disturbance, Wells and a couple of his friends started shouting profanities at the officers. They were told to leave. They refused. He was cited for criminal trespass.

2003--He was been fined/suspended no fewer than five times over a two
years time span. In an attempt to reach out, Cheeks named Wells
team tri-captain to start the season. Bonzi responded by giving Portland fans the finger
after the third game (in Philly. The said he didn’t remember doing it, he must have blacked out, then winked at the camera.) and cussing out his coach in the middle of a game after the 10th game. Cheeks, saying he is "sick of it," slapped Wells with a two-game suspension.

Okay, okay....This is pretty bad stuff. Domestic abuse (if true), spitting on people and repeated physical fights with teammates are things we don't need.

Really? Are you sure you're not just saying that? Because your namesake is probably somewhere right now either a.) throwing things or b.) having a hard time choosing between the rope, the lead pipe, the knife, the revolver, the candlestick, and the wrench.

And this is just hilarious

And my guess is the Conservatory

:laugh:

Warhawk
07-26-2006, 01:05 AM
"Geoff Petrie appeared on KHTK-AM show Sportsline 1140 with Grant Napear and Mike Lamb to announce the deal and also clarify that the team would no longer pursue re-signing Bonzi Wells (http://www.realgm.com/src_playerfile/171/bonzi_wells/)."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41646/20060724/kings_sign_salmons_will_let_wells_walk/

I think they got tired of him not accepting their offer which was a little more than the MLE IIRC and so they withdrew it.
I don't understand this move at all for the Kings really. Bonzi seemed like a great fit there. And Salmons isn't exactly one of those "tough" players that the Kings said they were looking for. And as good as Kevin Martin is, he is not so good that they an afford to just let Bonzi go. Oh well. Not my problem.

The rumor is he was offered 5 years/$35-36 million as an initial offer. With very few teams having cap space, this appeared to be a safe opening gambit.

Apparently a counteroffer was made of unknown value/years. Until about 10 days ago both sides were trying to get a deal that worked for both sides, but apparently Bonzi/his agent have really starry eyes and dollar signs dancing in their heads, as no deal could be agreed to. GM Geoff Petrie says "multiple" offers were on the table, but nothing acceptable to the other side. Apparently the S&T route didn't work so well either.

That's when we pulled the trigger on Salmons for $4.4 million to start for 5 years to get a backup 1 and some 2-3 reinforcement as well, but probably primarily as a Doug Christie-type initiator.

The Kings are now within something like $3-4 million of the luxury tax which we don't want to pay, so I really doubt Bonzi will be signing with us. GP said as much in an interview yesterday.

This also means a S&T is also unlikely, as we will not want the returning salary.

Frank Slade
07-26-2006, 01:10 AM
The rumor is he was offered 5 years/$35-36 million as an initial offer. With very few teams having cap space, this appeared to be a safe opening gambit.

Apparently a counteroffer was made of unknown value/years. Until about 10 days ago both sides were trying to get a deal that worked for both sides, but apparently Bonzi/his agent have really starry eyes and dollar signs dancing in their heads, as no deal could be agreed to. GM Geoff Petrie says "multiple" offers were on the table, but nothing acceptable to the other side. Apparently the S&T route didn't work so well either.

That's when we pulled the trigger on Salmons for $4.4 million to start for 5 years to get a backup 1 and some 2-3 reinforcement as well, but probably primarily as a Doug Christie-type initiator.

The Kings are now within something like $3-4 million of the luxury tax which we don't want to pay, so I really doubt Bonzi will be signing with us. GP said as much in an interview yesterday.

This also means a S&T is also unlikely, as we will not want the returning salary.

Ahh thank you for the update. Is there a mixed reaction there in regards to this ? Did most fans want Bonzi to return at the right price or no ?

SycamoreKen
07-26-2006, 01:17 AM

The problem is that people with rotten attitudes can't see that they have an attitude that needs changing.

RON ARTEST
07-26-2006, 01:21 AM
Really? Are you sure you're not just saying that? Because your namesake is probably somewhere right now either a.) throwing things or b.) having a hard time choosing between the rope, the lead pipe, the knife, the revolver, the candlestick, and the wrench.:laugh: no im seriously not pissed at all, funny post though. im sure artest is just planning how he will hide the evidence when he puts bonzi out of his misery.

AesopRockOn
07-26-2006, 04:47 AM
Sure. What's the point of having 1 shooting guard who can't shoot when you can have 5.

:laugh:

at Artest Murder joke too

Warhawk
07-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Ahh thank you for the update. Is there a mixed reaction there in regards to this ? Did most fans want Bonzi to return at the right price or no ?

Reaction has been mixed.

Some thought at that price he'd be a good guy to bring back, especially with how well he played last year (when healthy). Of course, the specter of a "contract year" performance was hovering.

Some thought matching his salary last year ($8 million) would be fair.

Most thought $9-10 million was way too much.

Any of these, at 5 years, though, was a concern - not sure how durable he might be after missing 30 games last year and his physical play. Some advocated a 2-4 year contract, max.

Everyone appreciated his effort and work, and the majority thought another 1-2 years would be ideal to give Kevin Martin more development time while still getting the best Bonzi had left in him. Some were fine with his leaving, openly advocating for Kevin to start.

Seems like those folks will get their wish.

At the right price for the right contract length (higher $$$ for 2-3 years or lower $$$ for 5 years) - yes, most wanted him back because of his rebounding tenacity and post skills and physicality.

Most everyone felt a high $$$ and 5 year deal was way too risky for the last couple years for financial reasons.