aceace
07-24-2006, 06:18 PM
Ch8 sports reports news on AL on in next in 5 minutes

317Kim
07-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Yes. Thanks for the heads up!

ajbry
07-24-2006, 06:20 PM
I heard it was just confirmed on PTI, ******* ESPN.

Trader Joe
07-24-2006, 06:22 PM
JUST CONFIRMED ON PTI!! DONE DEAL!!!
----------------------------------------------------------
Damn you BILLY KNIGHT!!! SIGN THE PAPERS!!

Coop
07-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Ch 8 just said they're still waiting for BK to approve.

aceace
07-24-2006, 06:23 PM
I will summarize. They are talking about why it is being held up. Its all Billy Knight and needs his approval. They said it involved the T/E and draft picks only. No players involved.

317Kim
Jeesh. Hurry up Knight!

Seeing all those things of Fred made me miss him again. :bawl:

Lord Helmet
Knight you idiot, APPROVE, NOW.

Frank Slade
07-24-2006, 06:24 PM
I will summarize. They are talking about why it is being held up. Its all Billy Knight and needs his approval. They said it involved the T/E and draft picks only. No players involved.

Draft Picks, how many I wonder ?

Trader Joe
07-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Draft Picks, how many I wonder ?

A couple second round picks I bet. With cash and the TE.

Coop
07-24-2006, 06:26 PM
I can live with 2 draft picks as long as they're not both first rounders.

Unclebuck
07-24-2006, 06:26 PM
I heard a telephone interview on Channel 6 and DW sounds confident that the deal will take place, but he did throw out his "a deal isn't done until it's done"

aceace
07-24-2006, 06:27 PM
Whatis PTI?

Hicks
07-24-2006, 06:27 PM
Knight is slightly pissing me off.

Trader Joe
07-24-2006, 06:28 PM
PTI=Pardon the Intreuption

317Kim
Whatis PTI?

Pardon The Interruption

You beat me to it 0731 :-p

Coop
Knight is slightly pissing me off.

Ditto..No one is going to want to do business with him if he keeps up his stubborness.

justnhlsmok
07-24-2006, 06:30 PM
So we just waiting on BK's stamp of approval?

Who knows his address so I can go and "coax" him into getting this done?

Horseman872
07-24-2006, 06:32 PM
As much as I hate Knight right now, from a business standpoint he is doing the right thing. Earlier speculation was that it was one draft pick, now more? I'm getting the feeling that TPTB is feeling our (Pacer nation) anxiety, and they want to avoid another Ron thing. So they're adding to the deal little-by-little, and King is just sitting there letting the coffee sweeten.

Lord Helmet
07-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Knight's dumbass is just trying to delay the inevitable.

Shade
07-24-2006, 06:37 PM
I'm going to assassinate Billy Knight.

QFT

ChicagoJ
07-24-2006, 06:40 PM
In the interest of fairness, Billy Knight was one of the classiest people to ever wear the blue-and-gold.

davstarp10
07-24-2006, 06:42 PM
so we are waiting till tomorrow now? Based in England this means I have to sit at work till u guys wake up during my lunch time to hear some good news!

Mourning
07-24-2006, 06:45 PM
so we are waiting till tomorrow now? Based in England this means I have to sit at work till u guys wake up during my lunch time to hear some good news!

I feel your pain :console:

;)

Frank Slade
07-24-2006, 06:45 PM
Well if he really is just walking away with a few 2nd Rd picks for Al, I can see him being reluctant to shout it from the roof tops :blush:

He probably expected more , and was trying to holdout as long as possible.
However their is a difference between biding your time, and just dragging your feet.

ABADays
07-24-2006, 06:58 PM
In the interest of fairness, Billy Knight was one of the classiest people to ever wear the blue-and-gold.

Indeed he was. And now, he's just being a GM.

Pacersfan.
07-24-2006, 07:01 PM
Well, he knows he's screwed in Atlanta anyways, so why not go out and help the P's?;)

Trader Joe
07-24-2006, 07:01 PM
Indeed he was. And now, he's just being a GM.

A GM with a bad track record, but nonetheless a GM.

Kegboy
07-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Yes, god damn it, what the hell is wrong with Billy Knight? Forget us getting Al for free, he should be paying us! Damn *******.

:rollout:

BigMac
07-24-2006, 07:06 PM

I have to correct you. He IS one of the classiest people to ever wear the blue-and-gold. He learned how to be a good GM (if he only had good ownership his entire stay in Atlanta) from Donnie Walsh. And Donnie would hold out to see what else he could get as well. Why hurry. The worst thing is you're going to lose him for very little. Why not try to hold out a few days and see who cracks first. It will most likely be him but who knows????

But this should go down as one of the best trades in Pacers history (on paper at least).

microwave_oven
07-24-2006, 07:07 PM
[Sarcasm]Here's the real deal

Atlanta sends: Harrington via S&T
Atlanta receives: cash, 2nd round pick, a promise that Billy Knight will have a job with the Pacers if he gets canned in Atlanta, and the TE.

I hear that the hold up is over what position Billy will actually get in The Pacers front office.[sarcasm/]

Doug in CO
07-24-2006, 07:10 PM
I hear he holding out for a corner office AND 10 of his old jerseys

Hicks
07-24-2006, 07:25 PM
Yes, god damn it, what the hell is wrong with Billy Knight? Forget us getting Al for free, he should be paying us! Damn *******.

:rollout:

Don't roll your eyes this direction. The longer this drags on, the longer it can fall through.

Pacersfan.
07-24-2006, 07:30 PM
Knight definetly owes us this much after the whole Detroit fiasco (for us).

Roaming Gnome
07-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Don't roll your eyes this direction. The longer this drags on, the longer it can fall through.

Yeah, I understand, but come on people....It "ain't" like the season is starting tommorrow!

I'm sure if the deal does fall through...There are better things the Pacers can do with that cash other then make an expensive PR move bringing back Al.

PacerMan
07-24-2006, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I understand, but come on people....It "ain't" like the season is starting tommorrow!

I'm sure if the deal does fall through...There are better things the Pacers can do with that cash other then make an expensive PR move bringing back Al.

Hardly a pr move.

gilpdawg
07-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Yeah but how many people here are old enough to remember that? I'm not, but I always make it a point to learn the history of teams that I root for, so I know about him, and all about the ABA, and all that.

Peck
07-24-2006, 10:25 PM
Billy Knight is tied as my all-time favorite Pacer.

Anthem
07-24-2006, 10:31 PM
Billy Knight is tied as my all-time favorite Pacer.
Really? You like Billy Knight more than Reggie Miller?

Hicks
07-24-2006, 10:35 PM
It's not just a PR move, Al is an asset, and a starter for this team. Not to mention what he'll do for leadership/chemistry. I'm excited to have him back.

A true first and foremost PR move would be getting Reggie or M. Jackson to un-retire for us or something like that.
As for Billy Knight, I know nothing of him as a Pacer, but as a GM he's driving me nuts. Makes Donnie look like Isiah.

Robertmto
07-24-2006, 10:35 PM
Knights waiting till he can get forst rounders out the *** for Al

Vali
07-24-2006, 10:38 PM
So... what did channel 8 say.

Peck
07-24-2006, 11:38 PM
Really? You like Billy Knight more than Reggie Miller?

I know I'm a heathen.

I can't help it, when I was young Billy was really the only vestage left over from the glory of the ABA.

I never got to see Mel, Roger or Freddie Lewis play so my claim to that team was Billy.

Man I can remember staying up late at night listening to the Pacers on the road in San Antonio when he dropped 40 on the ice man.

I can remember being more mad when they traded Billy to Buffalo than when they traded Dale to Portland.

Also, I say this in all honesty as well, Billy is the nicest player or former player I've ever met. I'm sure I looked like a crazed fan the first time I ran into him at MSA (ok a crazed fat fan) but Billy took the time to talk to me & was just a nice as he could be.

He did screw us over on the Bender deal though.

Granville
07-25-2006, 12:15 AM
I know I'm a heathen.

I can't help it, when I was young Billy was really the only vestage left over from the glory of the ABA.

I never got to see Mel, Roger or Freddie Lewis play so my claim to that team was Billy.

Man I can remember staying up late at night listening to the Pacers on the road in San Antonio when he dropped 40 on the ice man.

I can remember being more mad when they traded Billy to Buffalo than when they traded Dale to Portland.

Also, I say this in all honesty as well, Billy is the nicest player or former player I've ever met. I'm sure I looked like a crazed fan the first time I ran into him at MSA (ok a crazed fat fan) but Billy took the time to talk to me & was just a nice as he could be.

He did screw us over on the Bender deal though.

I couldn't agree more. Way back in the day I interned with the Pacers when Billy was working in the front office. He was looking at film of players (Rik Smits to be exact) that the Pacers were thinking about drafting and invited me to sit down with him for a little bit.

For a few years after, whenever I would see him, he would always remember me, including my name. I haven't seen him in about 15 years, and I'm sure he wouldn't remember me now, but he is a really nice guy.

Plus, he was a hell of a player.

grace
07-25-2006, 12:21 AM
Damn you BILLY KNIGHT!!! SIGN THE PAPERS!!

Ask nicely and I'll consider it.[/Billy Knight]

Hoop
07-25-2006, 01:02 AM
In the interest of fairness, Billy Knight was one of the classiest people to ever wear the blue-and-gold.Word, I've talked to Mr. Knight several times and he is a very nice man.

BoomBaby31
07-25-2006, 01:17 AM
Here's Espns article... Gives a little insight how it is breaking down.

Updated: July 24, 2006, 10:37 PM
Pacers close to acquiring Harrington from HawksBy Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive

The biggest name still available on the NBA free-agent market is Al Harrington.

Except that you'd struggle to find a team out there that considers Harrington available.

Harrington's return to the Indiana Pacers via sign-and-trade with the Atlanta Hawks, according to various NBA front-office sources, is widely seen as a done deal.

Perhaps the strongest indication that a formal announcement is forthcoming from Indianapolis is the fact that the Pacers' main competition for Harrington is no longer courting the versatile forward.

The Golden State Warriors, sources said, have conceded defeat in the Harrington chase, fully expecting the 26-year-old to join the Pacers in a swap with Atlanta that would net Harrington a six-year contract worth a tad less than $57 million.

It remains unclear who or what Atlanta would receive in the sign-and-trade arrangement, but the deal can be completed with the Hawks taking back recent or future draft picks -- or perhaps a moderately priced youngster, such as center David Harrison -- as opposed to significant salary. That's because of a $7.5 million trade exception Indiana created earlier this month by striking a sign-and-trade deal with the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets involving Peja Stojakovic … after Stojakovic already had committed to sign a five-year, $60-plus million free-agent contract with the Hornets.

With a modest cash payment believed to be in the $250,000 range, Indiana persuaded the Hornets to participate in a sign-and-trade swap for Stojakovic instead of signing him outright. The Pacers signed Stojakovic to the terms he and the Hornets negotiated and shipped the sharpshooter (plus cash) to New Orleans/Oklahoma City for the rights to 1998 second-round draft pick Andy Betts, who likely will never play for Indiana.

Without the $7.5 million trade exception resulting from that maneuver, Indiana wouldn't be able to complete a sign-and-trade for Harrington unless the Hawks were willing to take back contracts in the same monetary range as Harrington's new first-year salary.

Harrington's apparent willingness to start that new contract in the $7.5 million range, meanwhile, is expected to return him to the team that drafted the 6-9, 245-pounder in 1998 -- and has turned that trade exception into one of the most valuable assets of this NBA offseason.

Harrington, sources said, initially told interested suitors he was expecting a six-year deal worth at least $66 million. For the Pacers to pay that much, Atlanta almost certainly would have to be willing to accept a package built around Indiana center Jeff Foster. But Foster, by all indications, is not part of the forthcoming trade.

Indy's unforeseen trade exception gets Harrington fairly close to his financial target and the team he likes best. Better yet for the Pacers, their new Ron Artest replacement is regarded as a topflight athlete capable of playing small forward and power forward.

When the free-agent period commenced July 1 and the Hornets secured a verbal commitment from Stojakovic within hours, it looked as though Indiana would lose its original Artest successor without compensation.

The Pacers have been busy on other fronts, as well, according to sources, in hopes of reducing future salary obligations wherever possible as they prepare to absorb Harrington's big contract.

They first rescinded a qualifying offer to shooting guard Fred Jones, suddenly making Jones an unrestricted free agent, and he quickly reached an agreement to sign with Toronto Raptors.

Indiana also agreed this past weekend to trade point guard Anthony Johnson, who has two seasons left on his contract worth a little more than $5 million, for a package of three Dallas Mavericks that likely will be whittled to one. Veteran point guard Darrell Armstrong is the only Mav expected to stick with the Pacers after the deal goes through. Young forwards Josh Powell and Rawle Marshall are prime candidates to be waived.

The Pacers also have shopped Foster (who earns $5.5 million next season) and guard Sarunas Jasikevicius ($4 million) this summer and might proceed with plans to move one or both to gain additional distance from the luxury-tax threshold.

"Obviously, Indiana, I'm more comfortable there because I've been there, I've been in the East," Harrington told ESPN.com earlier this month at the Vegas Summer League, making it clear then that he expected to wind up with either the Pacers or the Warriors.

"Going into free agency, obviously you think, 'I'm going to be at the bottom of the screen [on ESPN's Bottom Line ticker] like Ben Wallace and the rest of the guys.' But everyone's telling me to be patient, so that's what I'm trying to do."

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.
It says we are going to give him a tad under 57 mill for 5 years. We should of just kept Peja, and paid the little extra. I mean I want Harrington because we have no other option but, I'm just not crazy excited about the whole situation. I don't want do give up Hulk, first rounders and possibly something else for Harrington. He doesn't fit in great here, his minutes are going to clash with the 3 and 4 spots (just like last time) he will end up coming off the bench and this time next year we will be looking to trade him.

Will Galen
07-25-2006, 01:22 AM
Here's Espns article... Gives a little insight how it is breaking down.

Updated: July 24, 2006, 10:37 PM
Pacers close to acquiring Harrington from HawksBy Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive

The biggest name still available on the NBA free-agent market is Al Harrington.

Except that you'd struggle to find a team out there that considers Harrington available.

Harrington's return to the Indiana Pacers via sign-and-trade with the Atlanta Hawks, according to various NBA front-office sources, is widely seen as a done deal.

Perhaps the strongest indication that a formal announcement is forthcoming from Indianapolis is the fact that the Pacers' main competition for Harrington is no longer courting the versatile forward.

The Golden State Warriors, sources said, have conceded defeat in the Harrington chase, fully expecting the 26-year-old to join the Pacers in a swap with Atlanta that would net Harrington a six-year contract worth a tad less than $57 million.

It remains unclear who or what Atlanta would receive in the sign-and-trade arrangement, but the deal can be completed with the Hawks taking back recent or future draft picks -- or perhaps a moderately priced youngster, such as center David Harrison -- as opposed to significant salary. That's because of a $7.5 million trade exception Indiana created earlier this month by striking a sign-and-trade deal with the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets involving Peja Stojakovic … after Stojakovic already had committed to sign a five-year, $60-plus million free-agent contract with the Hornets.

With a modest cash payment believed to be in the $250,000 range, Indiana persuaded the Hornets to participate in a sign-and-trade swap for Stojakovic instead of signing him outright. The Pacers signed Stojakovic to the terms he and the Hornets negotiated and shipped the sharpshooter (plus cash) to New Orleans/Oklahoma City for the rights to 1998 second-round draft pick Andy Betts, who likely will never play for Indiana.

Without the $7.5 million trade exception resulting from that maneuver, Indiana wouldn't be able to complete a sign-and-trade for Harrington unless the Hawks were willing to take back contracts in the same monetary range as Harrington's new first-year salary.

Harrington's apparent willingness to start that new contract in the $7.5 million range, meanwhile, is expected to return him to the team that drafted the 6-9, 245-pounder in 1998 -- and has turned that trade exception into one of the most valuable assets of this NBA offseason.

Harrington, sources said, initially told interested suitors he was expecting a six-year deal worth at least $66 million. For the Pacers to pay that much, Atlanta almost certainly would have to be willing to accept a package built around Indiana center Jeff Foster. But Foster, by all indications, is not part of the forthcoming trade.

Indy's unforeseen trade exception gets Harrington fairly close to his financial target and the team he likes best. Better yet for the Pacers, their new Ron Artest replacement is regarded as a topflight athlete capable of playing small forward and power forward.

When the free-agent period commenced July 1 and the Hornets secured a verbal commitment from Stojakovic within hours, it looked as though Indiana would lose its original Artest successor without compensation.

The Pacers have been busy on other fronts, as well, according to sources, in hopes of reducing future salary obligations wherever possible as they prepare to absorb Harrington's big contract.

They first rescinded a qualifying offer to shooting guard Fred Jones, suddenly making Jones an unrestricted free agent, and he quickly reached an agreement to sign with Toronto Raptors.

Indiana also agreed this past weekend to trade point guard Anthony Johnson, who has two seasons left on his contract worth a little more than $5 million, for a package of three Dallas Mavericks that likely will be whittled to one. Veteran point guard Darrell Armstrong is the only Mav expected to stick with the Pacers after the deal goes through. Young forwards Josh Powell and Rawle Marshall are prime candidates to be waived.

The Pacers also have shopped Foster (who earns $5.5 million next season) and guard Sarunas Jasikevicius ($4 million) this summer and might proceed with plans to move one or both to gain additional distance from the luxury-tax threshold.

"Obviously, Indiana, I'm more comfortable there because I've been there, I've been in the East," Harrington told ESPN.com earlier this month at the Vegas Summer League, making it clear then that he expected to wind up with either the Pacers or the Warriors.

"Going into free agency, obviously you think, 'I'm going to be at the bottom of the screen [on ESPN's Bottom Line ticker] like Ben Wallace and the rest of the guys.' But everyone's telling me to be patient, so that's what I'm trying to do."

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.
It says we are going to give him a tad under 57 mill for 5 years. We should of just kept Peja, and paid the little extra. I mean I want Harrington because we have no other option but, I'm just not crazy excited about the whole situation. I don't want do give up Hulk, first rounders and possibly something else for Harrington. He doesn't fit in great here, his minutes are going to clash with the 3 and 4 spots (just like last time) he will end up coming off the bench and this time next year we will be looking to trade him.

It says $57 million for 6 years. Read the 15th line from the top. And he wasn't even suggesting we give up David he was just using him to show how the trade could work. He said that himself on his transcript today.

Lord Helmet
07-25-2006, 01:27 AM
It'd kickass if this trade was official tommorow.....

aero
07-25-2006, 01:41 AM
It'd kickass if this trade was official tommorow.....

indeed it would be :buddies:

PacerFan31
07-25-2006, 02:30 AM
Dave Calebro said tonight, "It's just a matter of time"

He said he is heading back to the Pacers, and WTHR will update when it becomes official. *NOTHING NEW*

Jermaniac
07-25-2006, 06:21 AM
Man if some other team ends up getting Baby Al I think I will die.

Harddrive7
07-25-2006, 10:19 AM
So is it not possible to send those two guys we got form Dallas for AJ with the TE to Atlanta for Al?

aceace
07-25-2006, 04:25 PM
Way back in the day I interned with the Pacers when Billy was working in the front office. He was looking at film of players (Rik Smits to be exact) that the Pacers were thinking about drafting and invited me to sit down with him for a little bit. You interned with the Pacers... your like a God around here.

Destined4Greatness
07-25-2006, 05:49 PM
Agreed guys knight was/is a classy guy. And also yeah he is just being a GM. A stubborn one, but you could also call that careful. If the Pacers had been careful maybe we could have gotten a 2nd rounder and a TE for Jones.