PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Digest Vote: #7 Power Forward

Hicks
07-24-2006, 04:13 PM
The goal of this project is to determine the general consensus on Pacers Digest of who the best players are at each position in the NBA: Center, Power Forward, Small Forward, Shooting Guard, and Point Guard.

However, do not worry about the positions. I have tried to put everyone at their proper position, but what I am trying to do here is vote for the best overall player, at the position I happened to put them. The objective of each poll is to determine the best player listed, not the best pure positional player.

This thread is to vote for the best remaining power forward in the NBA. You have 24 hours from the time this thread is posted to vote!

Once each position has 30 players ranked, the project will end, and a final tally will be posted in a new thread.

The top power forwards so far, as voted by Pacers Digest members, are:

#1 Tim Duncan
#2 Kevin Garnett
#3 Dirk Nowitzki
#4 Elton Brand
#5 Jermaine O'Neal
#6 Chris Bosh

Today's nominees* for best power forward remaining are:

Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Carlos Boozer
Boris Diaw
Channing Frye
Drew Gooden
Pau Gasol
Al Harrington
Antawn Jamison
Kenyon Martin
Troy Murphy
Emeka Okafor
Mehmet Okur
Vladimir Radmanovic
Zach Randolph
Tim Thomas
Charlie Villanueva
Antoine Walker
Rasheed Wallace
Chris Webber
David West

* I can't please everyone with the position I put certain guys, so the way I see it is this:

If I've made such a colossal mistake, it can easily be corrected by you, the voter. How? I will always have "Other" as an option. All you have to do is vote for it, and state for the record in a reply which player you thought deserved the vote. If the majority of people do this, then that player will still win this poll. It just takes a little more effort then two clicks of the mouse. But if you're too lazy to do that, then you have no right to whine about it later. :-p

Kstat
07-24-2006, 04:37 PM
SHEEEEEED........

Robertmto
07-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Sheed. Not really a hard decision.

Will Galen
07-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Sadly I voted for Wallace.

rela
07-24-2006, 05:45 PM
i take gasol over sheed any day

The Hustler
07-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Gasol gives so much more than wallace .... defensivly hes superb, and hes as good a post up player as sheeed ... and when was the last time he argued with anyone! or moaned at a ref.... not that any pacers do that! .... only thing sheed has on pao is an outside shot ... but hes a power fwd ... he cant shoot a 15 footer consistantly which is better than a fair few!

Kstat
07-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Gasol gives so much more than wallace .... defensivly hes superb

Stopped reading the post right there. Gasol is a lot of things but defensively he's mr. charmin.

317Kim
07-24-2006, 05:55 PM
Rasheed Wallace.

Rockets
07-24-2006, 06:02 PM
Pau Gasol is the best individual in this class.

The Hustler
07-24-2006, 06:13 PM
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by Kstat
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by The Hustler
Gasol gives so much more than wallace .... defensivly hes superb
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Stopped reading the post right there. Gasol is a lot of things but defensively he's mr. charmin.</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
ok maybe superb is a bit strong, but hes certainly capable of looking after most PFs and better at it than sheed

IMO The most important thing about his D is his reading of the game ... doesnt risk to much, just makes the shot difficult for the shooter and the picks up the rebound ... for me thats good solid Defence ... doesnt mean he neads to rip 5 steals a game!

added to that hes a very good shot blocker (although not the most important defensive attribute)

#13 in the NBA in Blocks Per Game (http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Blocks.jsp?league=00&qualified=Y&season=22005)(1.91)
#9 in the NBA in Blocks (http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Blocks.jsp?league=00&season=22005&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&qualified=Y&yearsExp=-1&sortOrder=1)(153.0)

Then picking up the pieces
#15 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game (http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Rebounds.jsp?league=00&season=22005&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&qualified=Y&yearsExp=-1&sortOrder=4)(6.5)

Hes quick to get back and works hard on every match up!

Take that with 20 ppg and a further 2.5 offensive rebounds at the other end ... ild take those numbers happily!
And i cant say fairer than that! ;)

Robertmto
07-24-2006, 08:09 PM
You have seen how Rasheed guarded Duncan in the playoffs right? He steps up his D when needed.

GO!!!!!
07-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Gasol over sheed any day of the week, double when they are playing Seattle

JayRedd
07-24-2006, 10:30 PM
If you hear anyone on Detroit talk about it, they pretty much unanimously agree that Sheed is the most talented guy in a Pistons jersey. He may be a nuissance, somewhat anti-social at times, and arguably just a weird cat, but so far this poll (as I see it) is about who is the best at the game of basketball.

And on this list, that's Sheed by a landslide.

Both teams played hard.

Jay Ohh
07-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Boris Diaw's a center.

Kstat
07-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Boris Diaw's a center.

One year in his career.

He's a natural power forward. Next year he'll go back to being that.

Jay Ohh
07-24-2006, 10:34 PM
No.

-Diaw
-Amare
-Marion
-Bell
-Nash

Amare's going to play PF since he always says he liked it much more.

Kstat
07-24-2006, 10:38 PM
No.

-Diaw
-Amare
-Marion
-Bell
-Nash

Amare's going to play PF since he always says he liked it much more.

I can pretty mcuh tell you with %100 certainty that AMare will not play PF behind Diaw at C. that's ridiculous.

JayRedd
07-24-2006, 10:39 PM
I can pretty mcuh tell you with %100 certainty that AMare will not play PF behind Diaw at C. that's ridiculous.

Does Phoniex even have positions? Does it really matter? Amare's position is "guy that dunks it", Nash is "guy that runs around and throws it to open people," Boris is "guy who stands near paint" and Marion is "guy who stands in the corner and shoots threes and then tries to tip-dunk missed shots"

Not sure PF or C or SF apply to any of these people in this offense.

Jay Ohh
07-24-2006, 10:39 PM
Diaw was successful all last year at C and Amare doesn't want to play it anymore. Makes perfect sense to me.

Kstat
07-24-2006, 10:42 PM
Diaw was successful all last year at C and Amare doesn't want to play it anymore. Makes perfect sense to me.
It makes zero sense to me to play a 6-11 AMare at PF where he'll be less effective playing faster players, and let a stringbean like diaw continue to get killed at center by medicore players like kwame brown.

rexnom
07-24-2006, 10:43 PM
ok maybe superb is a bit strong, but hes certainly capable of looking after most PFs and better at it than sheed

IMO The most important thing about his D is his reading of the game ... doesnt risk to much, just makes the shot difficult for the shooter and the picks up the rebound ... for me thats good solid Defence ... doesnt mean he neads to rip 5 steals a game!

added to that hes a very good shot blocker (although not the most important defensive attribute)

#13 in the NBA in Blocks Per Game (http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Blocks.jsp?league=00&qualified=Y&season=22005)(1.91)
#9 in the NBA in Blocks (http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Blocks.jsp?league=00&season=22005&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&qualified=Y&yearsExp=-1&sortOrder=1)(153.0)

#15 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game (http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Rebounds.jsp?league=00&season=22005&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&qualified=Y&yearsExp=-1&sortOrder=4)(6.5)

Take that with 20 ppg and a further 2.5 offensive rebounds at the other end ... ild take those numbers happily!
You are joking, right? Right? Gasol is nothing compared to Sheed defensively. Nothing. Ask JO.

Jay Ohh
07-24-2006, 10:46 PM
It makes zero sense to me to play a 6-11 AMare at PF where he'll be less effective playing faster players, and let a stringbean like diaw continue to get killed at center by medicore players like kwame brown.

The key is keeping Amare happy. He'll be able to dominate the Pfs with his strength and speed by centers. Looks lik he wants to dominate the PFs. Could go either way though. All depends on what works in training camp.

Kstat
07-24-2006, 10:50 PM
Amare is not and will not ever be a power player. His speed and athletisism are what makes him dangerous.

Phoenix's offense works because you spread the floor for the center and let your center take the other center off the dribble.

Yes, Diaw can do that, but if you send amare out to the arc, who's going to bother guarding him there?

Fundamentally, it'd be a huge mistake.

rexnom
07-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Gotta agree with Kstat here...I really think Amare is staying at center...Diaw is much more versatile and can play pretty much any position. The way Phoenix plays it really is much smarter for them to play Amare at center.

Ultimate Frisbee
07-24-2006, 10:54 PM
Has Diaw ever played PF before? It could be the only position he doesn't play!

The Hustler
07-25-2006, 05:26 AM
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by Kstat

Quote: <table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by The Hustler

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> You are joking, right? Right? Gasol is nothing compared to Sheed defensively. Nothing. Ask JO.
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
im gunna keep fighting my point :P

Sheed often goes missing on the defensive end in my opinion ... yes he stepped it up in the finals on duncan when he felt that that it was a worthy task for him to defend Tim.

I think generally he gambles to much ... which more often than not gives up a basket to a player hes more than capable of defending.
Whereas Gasol as i said above just makes the play harder and crerates turnovers that way ... he does things that Sheeed just seems too darn lazy too!

Also Gasol is about 26 and sheeed is 32 .... gunna get a lot more minutes out of Gasol in the long term!

I saw this as who would you take out of those players .... who do you think would contribute more. and ild take Gasol every time!

Its nothing against Sheed ... i would take him second out of those guys .... just think attitude and contibution wise rather have Gasol!

Anyway .. .that my 2 cents ... and ur probably fed up of it by now .... so ill agree to disagree ... u can have sheeed and ill have pao

JayRedd
07-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Also Gasol is about 26 and sheeed is 32 .... gunna get a lot more minutes out of Gasol in the long term!

I believe we're voting on who is better right now today. Long-term should be irrelevant in your choices.

Kstat
07-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Yeah, why people keep brining age into this poll is beyond me. We aren't drafting a fantasy league.

The Hustler
07-25-2006, 11:46 AM
sorry ... my bad