PDA

View Full Version : Conrad QotD on AJ, Fred

Kegboy
07-24-2006, 03:31 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_060724.html

How Can Latest Moves Be Explained?

Monday, July 24, 2006
If you'd like to pose a Question of the Day to Conrad Brunner, submit it along with your full name and hometown to Bruno's_mailbag@pacers.com. Brunner’s opinions are his own and do not necessarily reflect those of Pacers players, coaches or management.

<table align="left" bgcolor="#ffcc00" border="2" bordercolor="#003366" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="90"><tbody><tr><td align="left"> http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/conrad_brunner.jpg QUESTION
OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner</td></tr></tbody></table>
Q. I'm scratching my head a bit over the Johnson and Jones losses. Why would we let Freddie go (for nothing) when he's exemplified everything the Pacers have wanted and needed over the past couple years in terms of character, effort, and toughness (playing through injuries, unlike others)? If it was just to make roster space for two very raw/rough Mavericks that are forwards coming in the Johnson/Armstrong trade, I don't get that. We've also got Orion Greene now and two new draft picks that the Pacers are talking about integrating into the mix and developing. Why get two more projects? (From Jeff in Goshen, Ind.)

A. Though the trade of Johnson and the expected departure of Jones through free agency were separate events, they share a common thread. Both did indeed perform nobly and well when called upon and were always ready to step in if something unexpected happened to a starter. If you see Johnson and Jones as the starting backcourt on a contending team, you will have a hard time accepting these moves. The Pacers, obviously, did not, and therein was the root of the problem.

After starting 89 games in two seasons, it was extremely unlikely Johnson could ever go back to playing a reserve role, or possibly even a third-guard role, and be a happy camper in the locker room. And for all he did for the Pacers, he didn't project well into a faster-paced offensive style. So it really came down to this: either Anthony Johnson was going to be the full-time starting point guard or he had to be moved. That choice has been made. Armstrong, a veteran with a strong reputation for strengthening locker-room chemistry, fully understands his role: to provide positive energy and leadership and be ready if called upon.

Jones was in much the same situation as Johnson, in that he craved the opportunity to play regularly but faced a real fight for playing time given the acquisitions of Marquis Daniels and James White and likely would've been very unhappy with a limited reserve role. Though you always hate to lose a former first-round pick with no direct compensation, clearing his salary from the books gives the Pacers additional flexibility to make other deals.

As for the other players acquired from Dallas, it remains to be seen how Josh Powell and/or Rawle Marshall fit into the plans. Powell (6-9, 225) was undrafted in 2003 after two seasons at N.C. State but played very well in Europe to earn a chance with the Mavericks. He's a very active player with excellent rebounding skills. The 6-7, 190-pound Marshall began his career at Ball State before transferring to Oakland (Mich.) as a sophomore and is considered a strong, aggressive defensive player. Both players reportedly have non-guaranteed contracts.
----------------------------------------------------------
Okay, does anybody really believe AJ or Fred were gonna cause problems? It's a new argument, to be sure, but not a very convincing one IMHO. If they're worried about people causing problems, from the fans perspective they're sure picking the wrong people.

And again we here that AJ doesn't fit in a faster tempo. Am I the only person who remembers the offense he played in before he came here?

:confused:

FSU-IU
07-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Both players reportedly have non-guaranteed contracts

Why didn't he just start his answer with this statement? Why write the rest of it? Just for filler to his answer?????

Come on------highly unlikely either of these players make the team.

aceace
07-24-2006, 03:34 PM
I couldn't agree more with Conrad. Powell has a real shot unless we trade him.. He has been proving himself.

blanket
07-24-2006, 03:54 PM
I don't have a problem with purposefully losing AJ and Freddie (to trade, and free agency), I have a problem with what we got in return (lesser talent, and nada). There's no reason we shouldn't have been able to get at least a draft pick for one of them -- and that wouldn't have affected our financial flexibility.

Horseman872
07-24-2006, 03:56 PM
I don't have a problem with purposefully losing AJ and Freddie (to trade, and free agency), I have a problem with what we got in return (lesser talent, and nada). There's no reason we shouldn't have been able to get at least a draft pick for one of them -- and that wouldn't have affected our financial flexibility.

agreed. hands down.:buddies:

jjbjjbjjb
07-24-2006, 04:03 PM
(1) Okay, does anybody really believe AJ or Fred were gonna cause problems? (2) It's a new argument, to be sure, but (3) not a very convincing one IMHO. (4) If they're worried about people causing problems, from the fans perspective they're sure picking the wrong people.

(5) And again we here that AJ doesn't fit in a faster tempo. (6) Am I the only person who remembers the offense he played in before he came here?

(7) :confused:

(1) Yes.
(2) It's not new to anyone who can remember back to the beginning of last season.
(3) IMO, it is convincing.
(4) Not this fan's perspective. I think Ron was the biggest problem, and I do think AJ was/was going to be a problem. How many times does it have to be reported that Jack is popular with his teammates for anyone to believe it? I suppose maybe Tinsley is a problem in the locker room, but I haven't seen evidence either way.
(5) I think when the biography of AJ is written, 2005-2006 will obviously have been his best season.
(6) Which one -- the Kings, Hawks, Magic, Cavs, or Nets?
(7) AJ's an okay player, but if he's sooooo wonderful, a potential starter and locker-room hero, how come he's about to join his seventh team at age 31?

Putnam
07-24-2006, 04:09 PM
...clearing Jones' salary from the books gives the Pacers additional flexibility to make other deals.

That is what I needed to hear. Bruno wouldn't have said this if it weren't true.

It is not a salary dump. It is just part of a visionary master plan to rebuild the team in a single off-season. Or rehabilitate it. Or revitalize it. Or rejuvenate it. Or restore it. Yeah, that's the word: restoration.

There is more to come. Donnie Walsh is going to get 'er done.