PDA

View Full Version : Al Trade Question

Horseman872
07-24-2006, 02:10 PM
It sounds like everyone is saying the deal is TE + Cash/draft pick. If it is indeed a draft pick, do you really think its worth it? That would be basically saying:

Peja + Draft pick for Al. or
Ron + Draft pick for Al.

Is Al worth this? And with the strong drafts coming, can we really afford to give up a #1 with management drafting soundly in the past 3 years? If we give up a 1st round draft pick, I doubt I can be happy about this trade because I feel that we could have traded Ron for Al last year straight up and maybe gain a 2nd rounder out of it.

Slick Pinkham
07-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Ron had to go because he was a malignant tumor on the face of the franchise.

Peja got an incredible offer we wisely didn't compete with.

If the choices are:

1) lose Ron/Peja and get nothing
2) lose Ron/Peja and get Al but give up known quality NBA players
3) lose Ron/Peja and get Al but give up money or a draft pick
4) lose Ron/Peja and get Al but give up absolutely nothing

Then choice 4 is best.
Choice 3 is far better than choices 1 & 2, though, so I can certainly live with it.

FrenchConnection
07-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Think about it this way. If we were to draft a guy in the 15-20 range and have him turn out to be a player like Al, it would be considered a good draft choice.

btowncolt
07-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Trading Ron for an empty soda can is a good deal.

If we can turn Ron into Peja, and then in turn into Al (without giving up a 1st rounder), I say kudos. Kudos!

Mac_Daddy
07-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Wow, you could link that back pretty far if you wanted to.

MarkJackson+draftpick = Al

blanket
07-24-2006, 02:48 PM
It sounds like everyone is saying the deal is TE + Cash/draft pick. If it is indeed a draft pick, do you really think its worth it? That would be basically saying:

Peja + Draft pick for Al. or
Ron + Draft pick for Al.

Is Al worth this? And with the strong drafts coming, can we really afford to give up a #1 with management drafting soundly in the past 3 years? If we give up a 1st round draft pick, I doubt I can be happy about this trade because I feel that we could have traded Ron for Al last year straight up and maybe gain a 2nd rounder out of it.

The alternative is getting nothing in return for Ron/Peja, so yes, it is worth including a draft pick, if necessary. Especially if it has lottery protection.

Anyone we're likely to draft wouldn't contribute for years, most likely, and our window with JO is just a few more years.

Hicks
07-24-2006, 03:03 PM
TE + Pick is EASILY worth it. It's nuts to me that some people aren't sure.

JayRedd
07-24-2006, 03:09 PM
TE + Pick is EASILY worth it. It's nuts to me that some people aren't sure.

Agreed. But what's really awesome is that I don't even think we're going to have to give up a 1st Rounder. I'm convinced that Atlanta's ownership and financial situation is so out of whack that they have no concern the on-the-court future of this basketball team right now. I think we're going to be shocked at how little we give up. It may be the TE and a Shawn Kemp rookie card.

RSmits
07-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Somebody should dig up the threads around the trading deadline this year where people talked about getting Al back for Ron. I would say 75% were in favor of it.

All else being equal, if I could have only one of Ron, Al or Peja on the Pacers right now, it would be Al. And I loved Ron. It was just time for him to go.

bulletproof
07-24-2006, 03:14 PM
It was just time for him to go.

Beyond time.

Granville
07-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Wow, you could link that back pretty far if you wanted to.

MarkJackson+draftpick = Al

Even further back than that...Eric Piatkowski + draft pick = Al. Now that looks REALLY good!

Hicks
07-24-2006, 03:18 PM
At the time, I think people might have shied away from Al because he was on the last year of his contract and could bail for money we wouldn't pay him. Now that he's ours until we're sick of him :laugh:, I think it's easier for most fans to get on board.

BigMac
07-24-2006, 03:28 PM
I think the best way to think about this is we traded Piatkowski (our #1 pick one year) and I believe Pooh Richardson for Al Harrington.

Pooh Richardson traded to Clips for Mark Jackson
Mark Jackson traded to Nuggets for Jalen Rose
Jalen Rose traded to Chicago for Ron Artest
Ron Artest traded to Kings for Peja Stojakovic
Peja traded to Hornets for $7.5 mil trade exception
$7.5 mil trade exception traded for Al Harrington.

Thus Pooh Richardson was traded for Al Harrington. Sounds like we got the best part of those deals after all was said and done. And I know that there were other players involved but these are the ones that turned out to be the major players in all of the above transactions. So try to see the cup as half full, OK?

aceace
07-24-2006, 03:30 PM
I think we're going to be shocked at how little we give up. It may be the TE and a Shawn Kemp rookie card.Autographed?..... I heard

PacerMan
07-24-2006, 04:40 PM
At the time, I think people might have shied away from Al because he was on the last year of his contract and could bail for money we wouldn't pay him. Now that he's ours until we're sick of him :laugh:, I think it's easier for most fans to get on board.

Factor in BIG that he left because he wanted to be 'the man'. He found out it isn't all that great on a crappy team and now he WANTS to come back here. KNOWING he'll always be second fiddle to Jermaine. Given his other positive attributes, getting him back NOW, with a more mature attitude, is pure gold. Wouldn't have thought it possible.

indytoad
07-24-2006, 05:03 PM

Judging by the way he went out and the current makeup of the team, I don't think it will be long at all before we're sick of him again.

IndyToad
One more, for the road