PDA

View Full Version : Chat with Marc Stein at 1pm

Coop
07-24-2006, 01:05 PM
There will be a chat on ESPN with Marc Stein at 1. Stein is the guy that wrote this mornings article on the Harrington deal so I'd expect him to talk about it at least a little.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=12375
----------------------------------------------------------
matt (indy): as a pacers fan, you cant really question the moves that donnie walsh makes but what do you think of all the moves the pacers have made so far this off-season? the pacers wont actually give up david harrison for him, will they?

Marc Stein: (1:05 PM ET ) Unless everyone I've talked to over the weekend has been led astray, Harrington will be a Pacer sometime this week. If that's the case, I don't know how any Pacer fan could be upset . . . given that Indy almost lost Peja without compensation and, thanks to a $250,000 cash payment to the Hornets, concocted the trade exception that can being back Al.

Marc Stein: (1:07 PM ET ) The mention of Harrison in today's story is just an example. I didn't intend to suggest that he is definitely in this trade. Details about what Atlanta is actually getting are extremely scarce. But the trade exception -- HYPOTHETICALLY -- allows the Hawks to take back someone who makes as little as Harrison (under a mil next season) for a guy (Harrington) whose new contract would start at $7.5 mil.

-------------------------------

Frank Slade
07-24-2006, 01:10 PM
looks like it's an all Harrington chat today :eyebrow:

Nathan (Madison, WI: Any chance the Harrington deal goes down with Milwaukee & Magloire as a third party? Word has it the Hawks were interested in Mags...

Marc Stein: (1:09 PM ET ) Not unless the deal on the table changes. The deal that's on the verge is strictly Indy and Atlanta. The Bucks still intend to trade Magloire and they will eventually, because a last-year contract still holds appeal in the marketplace. But it's clear that the increasingly faster pace in today's NBA -- in which athletes like Harrington are so coveted because they can play the 3 or the 4 -- has affected Magloire's trade value.

317Kim
07-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks for that Heartland. :)

Frank Slade
07-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Rich (LA): I thought a player (like Harrison) couldn't be combined with the trade exception.

Marc Stein: (1:12 PM ET ) Harrison would not be COMBINED with the trade exception. Harrington would be sliding into the Pacers' trade exception and Harrison would simply go to the Hawks in our HYPOTHETICAL example.

What you can't do is combine Harrison and the trade exception to make the value of the exception $8.5 mil instead of $7.5 mil. You CAN'T combine Jeff Foster's $5.5 mil salary for next season and the trade exception to create a hole of $13 mil. Is that more clear? If Harrington comes back to the Pacers via the trade exception, the first year of his contract can't start above $7.6 mil -- that's the $7.5 mil trade exception plus 100K.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Jay (Atlanta): Do you still think AI to the Hawks is still feasible? After the Claxton signing and Josh Smith and Marvin Williams poised to have big seasons, would AI really help? I would think that the Hawks would want to have the team grow around what they already have and what they'll get for Harrington from whomever (sans AI).

Marc Stein: (1:16 PM ET ) Feasible? Yes. Sensible, even. I've always believed Atlanta is the team that makes the most sense for Iverson, because the Hawks do need him -- on the court and at the box office -- and because they've got some interesting assets to offer. But the Sixers, by all accounts, have dramatically scaled back their efforts to trade AI in recent days. Nothing is imminent there. Sixers obviously don't like the offers they're getting.

Marc Stein: (1:16 PM ET ) One last Hawks note: It wouldn't surprise me if this is where Magloire winds up because Atlanta has been interested in him from the start of free agency. ..

Coop
07-24-2006, 01:20 PM
I'd definately be interested in watching a Detroit vs. Chicago game on Christmas. Not only would it feature Big Ben vs. his old team, but those two teams will most likely also be atop the EC.
++++++++++++++++

No prob PG.

Trader Joe
07-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Man I have sent my question into like 25 times and he is ignoring me.

Will Galen
07-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Man I have sent my question into like 25 times and he is ignoring me.
What was your question?

bulletproof
07-24-2006, 02:57 PM
What was your question?

Seems the ignored has become the ignorer. :D