PDA

View Full Version : Why would Atlanta....

FSU-IU
07-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Someone please help me understand this from Atlanta's side......

Why in the world would Atlanta agree to a S&T with the Pacers for Harrington where the only thing Atlanta receives in return is the TE (yes, I know that means that Atlanta actually receives nothing).

The only person who benefits from this deal is the Pacers. Atlanta gets nothing. Why would Atlanta want to help the Pacers/Al? Why wouldn't they simpy let AL walk...because the would get the same thing in return.

This just does not make sense to me...Atlanta has to be getting something for AL.....a future 1st, something.

Trader Joe
07-24-2006, 11:28 AM
IDK, cause Al obviously isn't coming back and they nothing better to do with him?

Doug
07-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Cash considerations...

I also think they might be interested in a collection of one-year contracts, so that they maintain their cap flexibility for when their ownership issues are settled. But getting cash and no contract obligations is probably better than getting marginal one-year players you have to pay - unless there is some "potential" involved.

Why the Pacers? Why not? Al wants to play here.

Jon Theodore
07-24-2006, 11:38 AM
i still think we might be sending a player

Outsider
07-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Three things come to mind:

1. Atlanta wants to improve its image with the other GMs in the league. After the Joe Johnson fiasco they may not be looked on in favorable light as far as a trading partner. If they "help" out a team this may help to improve this image. (not to mention that Knight is a former Pacer man and DW trainee).

2. Respect for what Al has done for Atlanta the past several years. By helping him get where he wants to go and for the money he wants, the Hawks make friends with both Agents and future players.

3. (the evil side) they want to strap the Pacers cash wise in the future to prevent another team (the Pacers) from being a bigger player in the free agent market down the road when perhaps the Hawks want someone.

rexnom
07-24-2006, 11:47 AM
Someone please help me understand this from Atlanta's side......

Why in the world would Atlanta agree to a S&T with the Pacers for Harrington where the only thing Atlanta receives in return is the TE (yes, I know that means that Atlanta actually receives nothing).

The only person who benefits from this deal is the Pacers. Atlanta gets nothing. Why would Atlanta want to help the Pacers/Al? Why wouldn't they simpy let AL walk...because the would get the same thing in return.

This just does not make sense to me...Atlanta has to be getting something for AL.....a future 1st, something.
They'll get a pick. I'd say the odds of that are fairly good.

Young
07-24-2006, 11:57 AM
There are a lot of reasons why the Hawks do this trade.

And we don't even know if we send them a player, we still might do that, who knows?

Or we could be sending a pick along with the trade exception.

I'm sure that Atlanta will have atleast one good reason to do this trade, if nothing else just to help Al get paid and be where he wants to be, sort of doing him a favor for him doing a good job for them the past 2 years. That could be an incenative to do this trade.

RWB
07-24-2006, 12:10 PM
Or we could be sending a pick along with the trade exception.

Sounds very reasonable, probably a 2nd rounder for the Hawks to save face and maintain their cap flexibility. I would think you're going to hear from BK that he is looking toward the 07 free agents and that Atlanta plans on being very involved then.

FlavaDave
07-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Giving up no players for Harrington would be so awesome.

Young
07-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Giving up no players for Harrington would be so awesome.

Well if we can get rid of Tinsley (probably not him unless we can get another point guard io return.), Jackson, or even Saras that would be fine with me. Getting rid of one of those 3 would help control the cap problems we may face.

RWB
07-24-2006, 01:15 PM
Conspiracy Theory II (the 1st was the NO Peja TE) under this scenario Billy Knight knows he will be getting the axe after this season.

At this time he is attempting to get the Pacers the best deal possible as long as ...........Once Donnie retires next year there will be a front office job for BK...

Now where is hoops hype again???? :devil:

penn13
07-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Atlanta does not want GS to get AL.

FlavaDave
07-24-2006, 02:30 PM
It would be good/hilarious to reverse the Harrington/Jackson deal.

CableKC
07-24-2006, 02:50 PM
I suggested this in the Hawks RealGM forum...but I think that by getting no players ( or more specifically additional salary ) but only draft picks....T/E or MLE ( whatever it is ) in return for Harrington it will allow them even more Salary cap flexibility to make a huge splash in the next two offseasons. And as we learned this offseason.....having alot of Salary cap can make a world of difference in the era of GMs/Owners who are reluctant to pay the Luxury Tax.

This allows them to have more breathing room to offer a Max contract for players like Kirk Hinrich or Chris Kaman next offseason ( players that are young enough and IMHO worth it ) without getting close to the Salary cap AND still have enough money for the 2008 offseason to resign at least 1 or 2 of their 3 Free Agents that they have....Childress/Josh Smith/Salim.

I know that Free Agents always take into consideration factors such as "wanting to play for a championship team"...but players like Hinrich and Kaman are young enough sign a 5 year "Close to Max" contract then make another run at another contract with a Championship caliber team when this contract comes up. It may suck to play for the Hawks....a perennial Eastern Cellar team....but they are getting better and a Max contract can easily make them ignore that. At least for Hinrich or Kaman...unlike Joe Johnson....they are arguably the top 5 ( for Kaman ) or top 8 ( for Hinrich ) players at their respective positions...and IMHO worth it. Also.....despite the fact that are restricted FA and their teams can match....I really think that the Bulls or ( especially ) the Clippers will "blink" much like the Pacers did when the Hornets overpaid Peja.....if the Hawks offer an outrageous offer to them.

Sure the Hawks need players like Foster....but IMHO...the Hawks maybe good enough now....even with their currrent roster...to be a Eastern Conference 9th to 11th Playoff Bubble team...basically inching their way up to being a respectable Playoff Bubble team....much like how the Hornets did over the last 2 or 3 seasons. I don't get the sense that they are in a rush to make it to the Playoffs...like the Warriors are. They can slowly build on what they have....then make a huge push in the offseason to significantly address one of their weaknesses.

aceace
07-24-2006, 03:19 PM
We are not sending the T/E to Atlanta. That was nothing but a bargaining tool. You cannot package a T/E and players. Its against the rules. If we use the T/E we are signing him outright. If we sign and Trade for Al, Atlanta will get players and probably a 1st rnd draft pick. Atlanta gave up some picks for Joe Johnson and they need them back and BK is holding out. Al has probably threatened to sign outright with the Pacers starting at the 7.5M 1st year salary. Atlanta does not want to lose him for nothing and they are negotiating to get something. My guess is Harrison and a 1st rnd unprotected pick which will likely be higher then 20.

FlavaDave
07-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Max contracts for either Kaman or Hinrich = disaster.

davstarp10
07-24-2006, 03:52 PM
u cant sign free agents with TE

CableKC
07-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Max contracts for either Kaman or Hinrich = disaster.

Once Shaq retires.....Kaman will be a top 5 Center. Big Men like Kaman that are somewhat productive on the offensive end don't grow on trees. Will he get a Max contract? Maybe...maybe not...but I am pretty sure that he will get at least a "Close to Max" contract offer.

Unfortunately.....Big Men always are overpaid and may not be worth it. But quality Big Men are always overpaid...but almost always worth it.