PDA

View Full Version : Conrad article on AJ, Fred (nothing new)

Kegboy
07-24-2006, 10:30 AM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/moves_johnson_jones_060724.html

3 More Mavs Heading to Indy?
Pacers’ Roster Makeover Reportedly Continues

By Conrad Brunner | July 24, 2006

If the idea is to play more like the Dallas Mavericks, the Pacers appear to be taking an approach both literal and philosophical.

Newspapers in Dallas and Indianapolis have reported a sign-and-trade deal that would bring veteran Darrell Armstrong and young forwards Rawle Marshall and Josh Powell to the Pacers from the Mavericks in exchange for point guard Anthony Johnson.

The trade would give the Pacers four ex-Mavericks on the roster, including swingman Marquis Daniels, who was acquired earlier this month in a deal for Austin Croshere. The deal reportedly couldn't be completed without NBA approval, which was expected after the league offices open today.

In a separate move, Pacers free agent Fred Jones has agreed to a contract with the Raptors, his agent, Bill Duffy, told The Indianapolis Star.

Armstrong, a 38-year-old veteran free agent, reportedly agreed to a one-year, $1.2 million contract to facilitate the deal. He told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram he hoped to bring leadership to the Indiana locker room.

"A lot has happened with that team since Reggie (Miller) left," Armstrong said. "I think they need that veteran leadership. My locker room presence and my spirit is something that they can use. I know how to keep guys loose. They have a chance to be better. They have some guys there that can play."

Armstrong would be the fourth point guard under contract with the Pacers, joining Jamaal Tinsley, Sarunas Jasikevicius and Orien Greene. He told the Star-Telegram he intends to retire after the 2006-07 season and plans to move into coaching. Johnson, 31, started 89 games the past two seasons in Indiana due to Tinsley's injury problems, including 53 in 2005-06 when he averaged 11.0 points and 5.0 assists. His final game with the Pacers was the best of his career, a 40-point night in a Game 6 loss to New Jersey in the first round of the playoffs.

Armstrong averaged 10.0 minutes, 2.1 points and 1.4 assists in 62 games with the Mavericks, playing much of the season with a torn rotator cuff. He has career averages of 10.1 points and 4.4 assists. Among the players he closely mentored in Dallas was Daniels.

Powell, a 6-9, 225-pound forward from N.C. State, averaged 3.0 points and 2.2 rebounds in 37 games but finished well, averaging 5.9 points and 3.7 rebounds in April. Marshall, a 6-7, 190-pound swingman from Oakland (Mich.), averaged 3.1 points and 1.3 rebounds in 23 games. In nine starts, Marshall averaged 5.6 points and 2.1 rebounds.

The Mavericks also considered signing Jones, who instead agreed to a 3-year, $11 million contract with the Raptors, said his agent.

"I'm very happy on where Fred is going," said Duffy. "He'll have an opportunity to show what he can do up there. Fred is going to a team that likes to play up-tempo now that (Raptors general manager) Bryan Colangelo has come there from Phoenix. They got a very good point guard in T.J. Ford. It's a good fit for Fred."

The Pacers reportedly withdrew their qualifying offer to Jones, allowing him to become an unrestricted free agent. With the acquisitions of Daniels and James White, Jones faced a crowd of competition for playing time at shooting guard. Jones averaged 7.7 points and 2.2 rebounds in four seasons with the Pacers.
----------------------------------------------------------
Eh, should have read it before I posted it. Nothing to see here. Move along.

D-BONE
07-24-2006, 10:37 AM
He told the Star-Telegram he intends to retire after the 2006-07 season and plans to move into coaching.

The idea of him being groomed for our coaching staff was mentioned in one of the trade threads.

Also wasn't aware he played with a torn rotator cuff much of last season. He's not anywhere near where he once was, but perhaps he can add a little more on-court than initially thought if that injury is taken care of. Some 3 pt shooting if nothing else?

At any rate, his attitude/experiece in our lockerroom can't hurt. Worth a chance.

JayRedd
07-24-2006, 10:49 AM
The trade would give the Pacers four ex-Mavericks on the roster, including swingman Marquis Daniels, who was acquired earlier this month in a deal for Austin Croshere. The deal reportedly couldn't be completed without NBA approval, which was expected after the league offices open today.

Armstrong, a 38-year-old veteran free agent, reportedly agreed to a one-year, $1.2 million contract to facilitate the deal. He told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram he hoped to bring leadership to the Indiana locker room.

"A lot has happened with that team since Reggie (Miller) left," Armstrong said. "I think they need that veteran leadership. My locker room presence and my spirit is something that they can use. I know how to keep guys loose. They have a chance to be better. They have some guys there that can play."

I like the part about Marquis. I seriously doubt that Conrad has any real knowledge of Marquis relationship with Armstrong, but I think it's always easier for a guy to adjust to a new team/coach/city/etc when he has some aspect of familiarity. At least Daniels has someone he knows to help make the transition a little easier, which should help out his mental state at least somewhat, and that's always a good thing when you're dealing with change.

I also like Armstrong's outlook on what his role will be. And, especially with the rotator cuff issue, I'm sure he won't be a huge factor on the court, but the guy could always play some legit on the ball defense, and we haven't has a single even above average perimeter defender since the days before Ron lost his mind.