PDA

View Full Version : Free Throw Shooting

brich
07-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Now that Reggie, AJ, Peja, and Austin are gone...who are our best free throw shooters?

317Kim
07-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Runi was a pretty good FT shooter last season. Danny was decent too.

Unclebuck
07-24-2006, 10:09 AM
FT shooting won't be one of out strengths. Al's has his problems there.

Marquis isn't bad.

But your only as good as the players that get there the most and I see JO, AL and Marquis getting there the most

Kegboy
07-24-2006, 10:22 AM
FT shooting won't be one of out strengths. Al's has his problems there.

Marquis isn't bad.

But your only as good as the players that get there the most and I see JO, AL and Marquis getting there the most

****, I thought I was gonna look him up and he'd be in the 80's. Nope, 75% career.

So, it goes like this:

Cabage - 91%
Jack - 78%
Danny - 77%
Quis - 75%
JO - 71%
Al - 69%
Oreo - 66%
Tinsley - 63%
Jeff - 60%
Hulk - 51%

That's disgusting.

I went and checked the rookies, and they help, but they'd have to be on the floor first:

White - 83%
Williams - 78%

Unclebuck
07-24-2006, 10:42 AM
But look at the past 5 or 6 championship teams FT shooting %. The Lakers, Spurs, Heat were all terrible, if not last in the league then awfully close. The Pistons were pretty good, if you take Ben off the team they were excellent.

So how important is FT shoting %. I think getting to the line is more important.

Go back and look at how often the Heat, Lakers, Spurs, and Pistons got to the line. (Of course Shaq skews all of this, but it is worth looking at anyway)

Kegboy
07-24-2006, 11:00 AM
After game 5 against NJ in '02, I've thought FT shooting is very important.

brich
07-24-2006, 11:29 AM
I don't think it is important for the team to have a great average over all, but I do think it is important to have a few guys you can depend on. The difference between a great team and a mediocre team is often winning close games. Free throw shooting is often a determining factor.

All of the great teams have assasins who can make free throws when games are tight. Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, and Kobe Bryant could all make those shots when the game was on the line. Reggie obviously excelled in those situations.

Sarunas can definitely make them, and Tinsley seems to shoot better when the game is on the line. JO is kind of inconsistent in this area IMO, although I think he has made great strides the last couple of years. I used to think he was kind of a choke artist, but I don't anymore. He is no Reggie, and he does sometimes disappear during big games, but I feel more comfortable with him taking high pressure shots then I used to be.

I am not sure how big a difference it will make overall, but we have had the luxury of having some of the best free throw shooters in the NBA in recent years.