PDA

View Full Version : Star}Toronto's offer, style good fit for Jones

Will Galen
07-24-2006, 03:30 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060724/SPORTS04/607240353/1088

July 24, 2006

pacers notebook
Toronto's offer, style good fit for Jones
By Mike Wells

Mike.wells@indystar.com

Fred Jones is headed to Toronto.

Jones' agent said Sunday that the shooting guard has agreed to a three-year deal for about $11 million with the Raptors.

"I'm very happy on where Fred is going," agent Bill Duffy said. "He'll have an opportunity to show what he can do up there. Fred is going to a team that likes to play up-tempo now that (Raptors general manager) Bryan Colangelo has come there from Phoenix. They got a very good point guard in T.J. Ford. It's a good fit for Fred."

Jones was a restricted free agent, but the Indiana Pacers recently rescinded their qualifying offer, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Jones, the No. 14 pick in the 2002 draft, spent his first four seasons with the Pacers, where he averaged 7.7 points and 2.2 rebounds.

Jones' days with the Pacers appeared numbered earlier this summer when they drafted James White and acquired Marquis Daniels from Dallas in a trade.
The Raptors needed a shooting guard when John Salmons backed out of a sign-and-trade deal late last week.

Armstrong ready to help

Darrell Armstrong, one of three players the Pacers are about to acquire from the Mavericks, said he's looking forward to being a leader in the locker room.
Armstrong, along with forward Josh Powell and swingman Rawle Marshall, are coming to the Pacers in a sign-and-trade deal for point guard Anthony Johnson. The deal is pending league approval.

Armstrong agreed to a one-year contract for the veteran's minimum of about $1.2 million to facilitate the deal.

The Pacers, a team many thought would compete for an NBA title last season, dealt with chemistry problems and immature antics during their disappointing 41-41 season.

"A lot has happened with that team since Reggie (Miller) left," Armstrong told the Fort Worth (Texas) Star Telegram on Sunday. "I think they need that veteran leadership. My locker room presence and my spirit is something that they can use. I know how to keep guys loose. They have a chance to be better. They have some guys there that can play."

Armstrong, a 12-year veteran, will likely be the Pacers' third point guard. The Pacers also have Jamaal Tinsley, Sarunas Jasikevicius and Orien Greene at point guard. White and Daniels can also play the position.

"I'm going to do what I can and adjust my game," Armstrong told the Star Telegram. "I don't have to score 20 points a game like I did in Orlando. I can use my experience to help the younger guys. . . . I plan on retiring at the end of this contract and hope to start coaching after that."

Lord Helmet
07-24-2006, 03:33 AM
So, are we going to hear of the Al Harrington deal tommorow?

Will Galen
07-24-2006, 03:42 AM
So, are we going to hear of the Al Harrington deal tommorow?

You mean tomorrow? Never. Now we might hear about it later today. (grin)