First the bad news for Nene - the Brazilian soccer team lost in the World Cup on Saturday. But as painful as that might be for any Brazilian, this weekend ended up far more good than bad for the Nuggets' restricted free agent. He got married Saturday and on Sunday OK'd a deal that will net him $60 million over six years to stay with the team that drafted him.
Nene's agent, Dan Fegan praised Denver owner Stan Kroenke, whose decisiveness helped eliminate a bidding war for the 23-year-old forward, who has career averages of 10.7 points and 6.2 rebounds per game.
"What I've learned through this process is I'm convinced Mr. Kroenke is going to do whatever it takes to bring a championship to Denver," Fegan said. "Make no mistake about it."
Between this deal and the extension small forward Carmelo Anthony agreed to Saturday, Kroenke has committed this weekend to spend approximately $140 million.
Denver may be close to keeping a third player in the fold, too. Fegan also represents power forward Reggie Evans, who is a restricted free agent whose name has already been linked to several teams around the league.
"We're making a lot of progress on Reggie and I'm hopeful we'll reach terms," Fegan said.
Staff writer Adam Thompson can be reached at 303-820-5447 or at athompson@denverpost.com.