PDA

View Full Version : Who is a good matchup for Croshere

Unclebuck
01-22-2004, 11:29 PM
I know some of you think Croshere is a good low post defender, but Cro is a defensive liability, as Rick mentions here.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/ask_carlisle_january04.html

Q. Not challenging your coaching decisions or anything, youíre a great coach, but what is with the sporadic playing time of Austin Croshere? It seems like every time he gets enough minutes to prove himself, he does. (From Brandon in Redondo Beach, CA)

A. Thereís no question Austin Croshere is a very good basketball player. There arenít many guys at 6-10 who can do the things he can do Ė shoot the ball from long range and medium range, put it on the floor, and he rebounds well. Unfortunately right now, our rotation is such that, with Al Harrington coming off the bench and playing some small forward and a lot of power forward, the minutes just arenít there for Austin the way they were back in 2000, when he was one of nine guys that played on a consistent basis. Basically, heís had to take on the role this year of being sometimes the ninth man, sometimes the 10th man and sometimes not playing, which is hard. But to his credit, he has maintained a high level of professionalism. Iíve been very forthright with him about the situation and letting him know how things are and how theyíre going to be. And Iíve encouraged him to stay ready.

The Detroit game was a good example of a guy keeping himself ready. Austin came in for short minutes and hit two 3-point shots, but we had to get him right out because of some defensive matchup situations. When you have a guy like Austin Croshere sitting over there who doesnít necessarily like not playing but is willing to be a part of a team and help a team play at a high level, youíre talking about a guy making a sacrifice for winning. And thatís what it has to be about if weíre going to win at a high level.

ROCislandWarrior
01-22-2004, 11:38 PM
idk bout his D...but the man can shoot the rock

I can see him being a "situational player"...with AL and bender

I don't know how many minutes we can give him..x-specialy if we plan on playing Pollard

Anthem
01-23-2004, 11:50 AM
Croshere and Freddy for Dale Davis.

:dance: :pepper: :dance: :pepper:

Ragnar
01-23-2004, 12:04 PM
How about Pollard, Freddie and Kenny for Dale.

Portland it looking for a traditional pg to be the backup and they would not mind having a 7 footer. Also Freddie is a local favorite.

ABADays
01-23-2004, 12:12 PM
I hope we don't start dissing Cro again.

Anthem
01-23-2004, 12:23 PM
How about Pollard, Freddie and Kenny for Dale.

Portland it looking for a traditional pg to be the backup and they would not mind having a 7 footer. Also Freddie is a local favorite.

The whole thing hinges on that. The only way we're ever free of Croshere's contract is if we bundle young talent with him. Now that it's clear that F.Jones definately qualifies as "young talent," plus the fact that the Portland fans love the kid because of his college years, and it works. Moving Anderson is fine with me, but Portland would have to move somebody too. I liked McInnis, but now that's out. Maybe Outlaw.

Slick Pinkham
01-23-2004, 12:27 PM
I think he could guard Cato and other offensively-challenged PF's, but I also agree that others would do it a lot better.

ROCislandWarrior
01-23-2004, 12:59 PM
I hope we don't start dissing Cro again

Cro...Do us all a favor and give up your huge contract ASAP

Suaveness
01-23-2004, 02:41 PM
I think we shouldn't give up on freddie...remember, this is his first "real" year of actual playing time...you guys need to lighten up on him... :unimpressed:

Roy Munson
01-23-2004, 04:19 PM
Way overpriced!
DD isn't much better than Pollard at this point. Freddie is going to be an important backup and defensive stopper for us.
Pollard and Kenny, ok.

DD is horrible for Portland right now. Maybe it's because he isn't trying, or is so sick of that team that he doesn't care, but based on the way he's played lately, I can't see the Pacers having ANY interest in him.

He is worse than Pollard at this point.

Yes, he is popular on this board, but that is because people love the 2000 Dale Davis, but they wouldn't love the 2004 DD.

That said, I think if there WAS Pacer interest in DD, they could easily pry him away from the Blazers.

Anthem
01-23-2004, 07:12 PM
I think we shouldn't give up on freddie...remember, this is his first "real" year of actual playing time...you guys need to lighten up on him... :unimpressed:

I'm not against Freddy at all. I like the kid.

But I don't like our forward glut.

Ragnar
01-23-2004, 07:14 PM
Just because he is fed up with Portland does not mean he would be a problem here. If we could get him for Freddie and Pollard by all means do it. We could use his muscle in the paint come finals time.

Roy Munson
01-23-2004, 07:17 PM
Just because he is fed up with Portland does not mean he would be a problem here. If we could get him for Freddie and Pollard by all means do it. We could use his muscle in the paint come finals time.

I think the Pacers would miss Freddy's defense a lot more than many people realize. Especially on a night like tonight when Artest is out of the line-up.

Carlisle has built this team on D, and I don't see him giving up a VERY GOOD perimeter defender, along with Pollard, for DD. DD isn't that much of an upgrade over Pollard. Some might argue that it isn't an upgrade at all.

Ragnar
01-23-2004, 07:24 PM
James Jones is a very good defender I was really suprised how good he was seeing as how he is a first year player that went so late. He has long arms and plays the passing lanes. As a matter of fact I would rather see him in there than Freddie.

Nothing against Freddie but the guy cant shoot. We are using hinm more as a backup pg for when AJ is in there since Rick can see that AJ is not really a pg he just brings it over the time line. So I think thats why he is playing so much right now. I bet when Anderson comes back Freddies minutes go down and we start seeing Ron at the 2 more than he has been lately.

Anthem
01-23-2004, 07:36 PM
I think the Pacers would miss Freddy's defense a lot more than many people realize. Especially on a night like tonight when Artest is out of the line-up.

Fair enough. Freddy's our best defender on guys like Francis, even when Artest is available.

But we've got a nasty glut at forward that needs some work. I have no doubt there are better solutions than mine, but I'm not hearing them.

I'd be great in management. I can find the problems, and let others find solutions.