PDA

View Full Version : Was Williams really the #1 choice?

Leisure Suit Larry
06-29-2006, 03:06 PM
Did Bird say they were getting a guy with a lot of college experience? He only has 1.

btowncolt
06-29-2006, 03:07 PM
Yes.

FrenchConnection
06-29-2006, 03:08 PM
If he was not, then it was Carney.

Chauncey
06-29-2006, 03:15 PM
I believe that it was Carney or that everything was a smokescreen and they wanted Thabo. That woudl explain why Chicago felt it was necessary to trade up and get Thabo, if the Pacers were really trying to trade up to get him.

Frank Slade
06-29-2006, 03:25 PM
Did Bird say they were getting a guy with a lot of college experience? He only has 1.

. Bird said last week they will likely stick with their pattern of drafting players with at least three years of college experience.

Not only did they select the player targeted for No. 17, Memphis forward Shawne Williams,..

I am sure at this point, most are only going to believe what they want either way, Unless you can uncover a time-stamped video for proof.

Larry flat out said this was his player all along, whether you agree with the pick is another story.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Something else though that has stuck out. And of course I can't find the Transcript of Bird's Q&A after the Draft.

To Paraphrase, Bird said they checked the players' backrounds, talked to Friends and Coaches, and Even NBA Players. He added that sometimes these guys hang around the local NBA players etc. Then Today Shawne is quoted as saying 6 weeks ago he requested to workout with Indiana, would love to come here, and said

"He feels he can fit in well in that offense," said Williams' agent, Happy Walters. "The first team he told me he wanted to work out for was the Pacers, and that was a month and a half ago. He likes the players on that team."

Could Shawne have been hanging around some of the Pacers players earlier this year ? With Carney's conncection's to Indy and assuming they are good Friends, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he may have had an "inside" track" so to speak... :spy:

Leisure Suit Larry
06-29-2006, 03:29 PM
I am sure at this point, most are only going to believe what they want either way, Unless you can uncover a time-stamped video for proof.

Larry flat out said this was his player all along, whether you agree with the pick is another story.

Thanks, I just didn't want to look it all up but I thought he said something likek that.

CableKC
06-29-2006, 04:44 PM
I read the profile on Thabo...and realized that its possible that there was a chance that Bird would have taken him if they could move up.

Trader Joe
06-29-2006, 04:56 PM
It was Carney I think.