PDA

View Full Version : OT - Lakers ( I have to vent to non-Laker fans, sorry)

Chauncey
06-29-2006, 01:52 PM
I'm absolutely disgusted...not at last nights draft...but by this quote. I just threw up in my mouth again I think. If Kupchak is serious, I'm going to be irate, because no way is Marcus Banks not getting MLE money from some team.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="90%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Quote:</TD></TR><TR><TD class=quote>Now that the draft is over and the Lakers have added a two minor pieces in guards Jordan Farmar and Maurice Evans, the traditional next big splash comes via free agency. The Lakers do plan to sign a guard -- speedy Marcus Banks, who was briefly acquired from Boston in the Gary Payton trade before it had to be amended, would be one option -- but probably not a big-time guard who would collect the full $5 million mid-level salary-cap exception the Lakers could offer.

"Are there players out there that deserve the mid-level? Yeah, there are a couple guys," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said late Wednesday night. "But I don't know if we'll end up using it."
Basically, it sounds as if the Lakers plan to save the big money -- even though they have it available to spend -- unless they find a big fish really wants to land in L.A. So figure on them spending their smaller salary-cap exception (or part of the mid-level exception) to get their free-agent guard.

Teams can start contacting free agents Saturday and can start signing them July 12

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Kstat
06-29-2006, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't even think about paying Banks the MLE.

I'd love him as a backup, but not at that price.

Since86
06-29-2006, 01:56 PM
I think you should want to throw up in your mouth after he said that he'd still pull the O'neal trade, even after knowing he'd go on to win another championship.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Who got LA's original pick this year?

Chauncey
06-29-2006, 02:19 PM
Who got LA's original pick this year?

Phoenix

Shade
06-29-2006, 03:52 PM
I wouldn't even think about paying Banks the MLE.

I'd love him as a backup, but not at that price.

I agree. But the Lakers do need a PG in the worst way.

Eddie Gill to the rescue! ;)

FrenchConnection
06-29-2006, 03:59 PM
More like Tins for Mihm.

Shade
06-29-2006, 04:09 PM
More like Tins for Mihm.

No thanks. Mihm is very overrated around here.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-29-2006, 04:18 PM
No thanks. Mihm is very overrated around here.

I agree, no way on that trade.

FrenchConnection
06-29-2006, 04:29 PM
What do you expect for Tinsley? Well, they need a PG and we have one that we are looking to move. We could use a backup center, and Mihm is a 7-footer that does not need to miss everyother game with a bad back. Yes, he is overrated but if we cannot get Mags (of which I am sure), then he may be an option.

Chauncey
06-29-2006, 04:32 PM
No thanks on Tins. I'd trade Mihm for Harrison though :)

Shade
06-29-2006, 04:36 PM
What do you expect for Tinsley? Well, they need a PG and we have one that we are looking to move. We could use a backup center, and Mihm is a 7-footer that does not need to miss everyother game with a bad back. Yes, he is overrated but if we cannot get Mags (of which I am sure), then he may be an option.

With all players healthy, Mihm would be FOURTH on the depth chart (assuming we re-sign Pollard). He would play no more than an injured Tins, and Tins is a much greater talent.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-29-2006, 04:38 PM

MAYBE I'd do Tinsley for Farmar

FrenchConnection
06-29-2006, 04:41 PM
No thanks on Tins. I'd trade Mihm for Harrison though :)

I'd trade Harrison for Bynum! Our project for yours.

Chauncey
06-29-2006, 04:48 PM
I'd trade Harrison for Bynum! Our project for yours.

I'll trade you Bynum for Harrison + Granger.

Will Galen
06-29-2006, 04:54 PM
I'll trade you Bynum for Harrison + Granger.

Only if you throw Kobe and a 1st rounder next year in. I LIKE DANNY!

Shade
06-29-2006, 05:03 PM
Only if you throw Kobe and a 1st rounder next year in. I LIKE DANNY!

Now that's just silly. You'll settle for Odom, and you will LIKE it. :tongue: ;)

Sollozzo
06-29-2006, 05:24 PM
I think you should want to throw up in your mouth after he said that he'd still pull the O'neal trade, even after knowing he'd go on to win another championship.

What's he supposed to say on national television?

"Yeah I messed up when I traded Shaq, there's no way I'd do that again."

:rolleyes:

As a GM, he wants to get fans excited about his team, not second guess a move he made 2 years ago.

I don't know how many times it needs to be said. Shaq and Kobe simply could not co-exist anymore. To believe that they would have won another championship together in those set of circumstances is ludicrous. Shaq is on a team with a guard that he can get along with for once.

Plus, are you forgetting that Shaquille DEMANDED a trade?

Kobe would not have signed with the Lakers if Shaq would have remained. Supposedly, he flirted with the Clippers enough as it was, I'm 99% sure he'd have gone there if Shaq was still around. The Lakers got a very solid player in Lamar Odom, and some draft picks, like the one they used last night, which could pay off.

The choice was a 32 year old Shaq at the time, or a 26 year old Bryant. That decision was a simple one. Did you watch the finals? Shaq clearly can't do much on his own anymore.

Shade
06-29-2006, 05:32 PM

As a GM, he wants to get fans excited about his team, not second guess a move he made 2 years ago.

I don't know how many times it needs to be said. Shaq and Kobe simply could not co-exist anymore. To believe that they would have won another championship together in those set of circumstances is ludicrous. Shaq is on a team with a guard that he can get along with for once.

Kobe would not have signed with the Lakers if Shaq would have remained. Supposedly, he flirted with the Clippers enough as it was, I'm 99% sure he'd have gone there if Shaq was still around. The Lakers got a very solid player in Lamar Odom, and some draft picks, like the one they used last night, which could pay off.

The choice was a 32 year old Shaq at the time, or a 26 year old Bryant. That decision was a simple one. Did you watch the finals? Shaq clearly can't do much on his own anymore.

QFT

owl
06-29-2006, 05:36 PM

They could have traded Kobe and gotten plenty back.
Bad decision in my book.

owl

Chauncey, are you disappointed they did not take White??

Leisure Suit Larry
06-29-2006, 05:38 PM
Bad decision in my book.

owl

Maybe they could have traded Kobe for Dwyane Wade.

Chauncey
06-29-2006, 05:47 PM

Disappointed? Yes. He's who I wanted and Marcus Banks is going to the Lakers should they offer him anything close to fair market value.

However, after Farmar slipped, I knew they would take him and I'm fine with that. Farmar is 19, proven on the biggest of college stages, a very solid and complete player, very athletic and a local guy. Hard to argue with the perfect blend of upside, proven ability, age and locality.

owl
06-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Farmar is going to be a very good guard. He is more athletic than given
credit far and he showed me he could score when called upon and no
one else could. Very intelligent also. I believe he will be the best true point
in this draft

owl

Anthem
06-30-2006, 01:18 AM
I'm not ga-ga for Mihm, but according to many on this board Tinsley has a negative trade value. If you can get a solid backup center for that, then you've done well.

Skaut_Ech
06-30-2006, 07:59 AM
in this draft

owl

Owl, I about agree. I was pissed that we didn't take him. SFs are a dime a dozen, but good PGs are rare.

FrenchConnection
06-30-2006, 08:21 AM
I'm not ga-ga for Mihm, but according to many on this board Tinsley has a negative trade value. If you can get a solid backup center for that, then you've done well.

That is the point that I was trying to make, you just make it better. If you are able to get a 7-footer for a PG that never plays, you make that trade 10 times out of 10.

in this draft

owl

I like Farmar as well, and I think that he will be a good player in this league for a long time. Although his game looks a lot like Jason Kidd's, I don't think that he will be the superstar that Kidd is. However, the guy is a winner and a leader, sort of like Markus Williams with less talent and a much better attitude. That being said, I think that Shawne Williams has an outside chance to be great and that is why I like our draft.

Sollozzo
06-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Bad decision in my book.

owl

And they would trade Kobe because?????????

He's only the best player in the game.

Since86
06-30-2006, 04:05 PM

No, I don't think he should of said that he wouldn't of made the trade, but I don't understand how you can stand 100% in the public's eye behind that decision.

If it was me I'd crack some kind of joke, or dance around the issue.

Shaq didn't DEMAND a trade right away. He said either Kobe, or him. Shaq is much easier to sell to FAs, than an egocentric Kobe "Pass me the ball" Bryant.

Yes I watched the Finals. I saw an over the hill Shaq demand a double-team, who happened to find the open man whenever possible.

Every time he touched the ball in the post he was fouled.

Obviously you underestimate the impact Shaq still has on a team/game. Shaq does plently on his own.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-30-2006, 04:07 PM

But here's the twist the opinion of people on this board DOES NOT MATTER. Other teams aren't reading message boards saying "Oh, some of their fans don't like him, he's worthless to me then."

Sollozzo
06-30-2006, 05:27 PM
No, I don't think he should of said that he wouldn't of made the trade, but I don't understand how you can stand 100% in the public's eye behind that decision.

If it was me I'd crack some kind of joke, or dance around the issue.

Shaq didn't DEMAND a trade right away. He said either Kobe, or him. Shaq is much easier to sell to FAs, than an egocentric Kobe "Pass me the ball" Bryant.

Yes I watched the Finals. I saw an over the hill Shaq demand a double-team, who happened to find the open man whenever possible.

Every time he touched the ball in the post he was fouled.

Obviously you underestimate the impact Shaq still has on a team/game. Shaq does plently on his own.

You said it yourself, Shaq is over the hill. That's why he wasn't kept. Don't forget that Shaq's conditioning the last couple of years in LA was a worry for the Lakers.

Alonzo Mourning had just as big, if not bigger, impact as Shaq did in game 6 against Dallas. Monster games like Shaq had in game 6 against the Pistons are going to be fewer every year.

Kobe may be egotistical, but Shaq certainly was as well. The fact that he has had 2 failed stints with young guards speaks just as much for his ego as it does Penny's or Kobe's. Shaq finally seemed to get it this year, and realized that he is no longer capable of dominating a game and allowed Wade to get all the offensive glory without whinning.