PDA

View Full Version : James Jones avaliable?

Young
06-29-2006, 01:43 PM
http://www.hoopshype.com/

I tried to find the piece about Jones but I didn't see it.

Interesting if he is. I'm wondering that if we don't re-sign Peja would Bird make a run to get James back? Probably not.

I'd imagne Miami would have some serious interest in him should he be avaliable. So would San Antonio.

Chauncey
06-29-2006, 01:47 PM
I don't think letting Peja go and getting JJ back is that much of a downgrade compared to what Peja showed last year.

Steve McQueen
06-29-2006, 01:54 PM
I don't think letting Peja go and getting JJ back is that much of a downgrade compared to what Peja showed last year.
Peja averaged 20/6/2 on 46/40/90 shooting in his 40 games with the Pacers. Those are All-Star numbers, the type of production that makes a big impact on wins and losses.

James Jones will never come close to that.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Peja averaged 20/6/2 on 46/40/90 shooting in his 40 games with the Pacers. Those are All-Star numbers, the type of production that makes a big impact on wins and losses.

James Jones will never come close to that.

Steve McQueen = My favorite poster, he says what I want to say before I even have to.

I can't believe anyone would compare James Jones and Peja Stojakovic. This is just getting pathetic. There is absolutely no way we try to get him back. We have 3 SFs and Jackson who are better than him. I don't know if you guys paid attention to him last year but he wasn't very good. This may be the only player you guys over rate more than Granger.

Bball
06-29-2006, 02:11 PM
Can JJ play SG and can we swing a S&T with Freddie to get him? I'd consider that...

-Bball

D-BONE
06-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Has JJ learned to play defense? Particularly if he'd be guarding 2s? Has he improved his ballhandling? I might take him in the Fred Jones S&T cause we can use more outside shooting with or without Peja.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-29-2006, 02:16 PM
oh...my.....GOD! I can't believe what I'm reading

D-BONE
06-29-2006, 02:16 PM
I'd rather get my hands on a veteran PG if we have the resources, which I don't know if we do.

Natston
06-29-2006, 02:19 PM

Well it happens everytime an ex-Pacer seems to be available, we always seem to over value them.

D-BONE
06-29-2006, 02:19 PM

Don't have a coniption, LSL. I'm not saying JJ is better than Peja. Just that we could always use good outside shooters. IMO the comparison is absurd. And I'm not a big Peja fan.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-29-2006, 02:21 PM
But people are complaining about having so many SFs and now add another one? James Jones is not a SG and never will be.

Steve McQueen
06-29-2006, 02:25 PM
We can get a good ouside shooter, with far more overall talent than JJ, with our MLE. Matt Harpring for instance.

Bball
06-29-2006, 02:26 PM
My condition for even considering JJ at this point would hinge on his ability to play SG. Not as a backup plan or a plan of any kind to scrap Peja or put another player in the front court. If he can't play SG, then no deal (as things stand now).

I'd sacrifice Freddie for a different SG any day...

-Bball

D-BONE
06-29-2006, 02:29 PM
We can get a good ouside shooter, with far more overall talent than JJ, with our MLE. Matt Harpring for instance.

I'd consider it. Notice I said I MIGHT take JJ but I pointed out some problems I have with him in the SG spot. Sorry I was not more definitive.

We might also use the MLE on a big guy. I haven't seen a can't miss idea yet. Probably won't be one. We also don't know what we could get via trades, if any actually occur.

jjbjjbjjb
06-29-2006, 03:21 PM
JJ is out of the league within three years. He did nothing for the Suns in the playoffs.

Shade
06-29-2006, 03:47 PM
There is no room for JJ on this team. We're loaded at the 3, and he ISN'T a 2. I really wish we would stop trying to shove square pegs into round holes.

Will Galen
06-29-2006, 04:02 PM
Don't have a coniption, LSL. I'm not saying JJ is better than Peja. Just that we could always use good outside shooters. IMO the comparison is absurd. And I'm not a big Peja fan.

I don't believe JJ is as good a shooter as his rep is on here. I used to think he was good but not anymore. I followed him at Pho. and he started out well but then declined.

He shot .418 and .386 during the year, then disappeared in the playoffs with .341 and .308. With Nash setting you up that's not so good. Just about everyone else on the team shot better.

I would rather have 'rightside' Fred because he can guard some of the quicker players in the league.

Steve McQueen
06-29-2006, 04:16 PM
I don't believe JJ is as good a shooter as his rep is on here. I used to think he was good but not anymore. I followed him at Pho. and he started out well but then declined.

He shot .418 and .386 during the year, then disappeared in the playoffs with .341 and .308. With Nash setting you up that's not so good. Just about everyone else on the team shot better.

I would rather have 'rightside' Fred because he can guard some of the quicker players in the league.
I agree 100%.

I'd say James is a nice 3rd stringer, nothing more.

beast23
06-29-2006, 06:15 PM
Has JJ learned to play defense? Particularly if he'd be guarding 2s? Has he improved his ballhandling? I might take him in the Fred Jones S&T cause we can use more outside shooting with or without Peja.JJ's defense was just fine in his rookie year with us. At least, he was capable of doing a better than adequate job against opposing small forwards.

Regardless of Will's condemning JJ's shooting, I'd still take him as a spot shooter, and I believe he would be more than capable to providing some minutes at SG. His athleticism would fit right in with the small ball, faster offense. [At least that's what many of us think the Pacers are going towards.]

That being said, I wouldn't be in a hurry to make a deal with Freddie, unless he signs with another team and we are forced to do so. I really think he would work out great as added value in a potential trade of Tinsley or Jackson.

ChicagoJ
06-29-2006, 07:59 PM
JJ is closer to a PF than a SG. I'd consider him in the role of an althletic PF if we went that route... But not SF - we've got too many parts there, and definitely not SG.

He's not a great 3-pt shooter. He needs to learn to step in and shoot the 19-footer.

Anthem
06-30-2006, 12:50 AM
I really like JJ. I like him as a person, and like him as a player. I went on the record last year and said we traded the wrong Jones. And he did fine guarding SGs... I'd have no qualms about him in a backup swingman role.

But that ship has sailed. We're loaded at the 3, and if we do any kind of trade then we're fine at the 2.

I still think, though, that we would have done well trading AJ and the #17 for JJ and Pheonix's two first-rounders. AJ makes a lot of sense for Pheonix.