PDA

View Full Version : what I find amusing...

jcouts
06-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Is that throughout the entire last two rounds of the playoffs, everyone on this board was griping "we need a guy like Josh Howard..." " we need to get Marquis Daniels..." "look at what Boris Diaw can do...he plays PF..." "we need slashers and guys who take the ball into the paint..."

We pick up that exact type of individual in the draft, and everyone is complaining that we didn't take someone else...

Watch the man's video...he couldn't be any more of that type of player that everyone was wishing for during the playoffs. I didn't see one shot in his ESPN draft video that wasn't a result of penetrating into the paint and scoring...nearly every time in traffic.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2006/news/story?id=2503390
(video link over on the right side...)

Additionally, his wingspan is 7'3 (alien arms Tayshaun's is 7'2), giving him a higher standing vertical reach than Hulk, even though Harrison is 3 inches taller.

The man is going to make many eat their words with the NBA's new style.

Jermaniac
06-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Ehh dont worry, we could have drafted Wade and people would have still been *****ing.

FrenchConnection
06-29-2006, 11:43 AM
Ehh dont worry, we could have drafted Wade and people would have still been *****ing.

Yeah, Laker fans are complaining about Farmar. They needed a PG and got an NBA ready one at #26 and they are complaining because they wanted Flight. MEssage board posters are never happy.

Unclebuck
06-29-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm fine with these two guys.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-29-2006, 11:45 AM
Yeah, Laker fans are complaining about Farmar. They needed a PG and got an NBA ready one at #26 and they are complaining because they wanted Flight. MEssage board posters are never happy.

Especially this one. ANYONE we get will never be good enough to wear a Pacers uniform in some people's eyes.

Trader Joe
06-29-2006, 11:47 AM
People would not be nearly as upset with Shawne's pick if not for the fact, that Marcus Williams was on the board. If he was gone and we picked Shawne everyone would be happier.

Shade
06-29-2006, 11:48 AM
I don't think any of us have a problem with Shawne, we're just wondering where he's possibly going to fit in with Peja and Granger on the team.

Jermaniac
06-29-2006, 11:49 AM
The Kings who need a PG BAD, passed on Williams too because they saw something they didnt like. Everyone *****es about how OMG Tins has a bad attitude, Tins pouts, Tins this Tins that. Well this guy is said to have a bad attitude also, why are people *****ing about passing on him. If you want him on your team then dont ***** about Tins being on the team.

Shade
06-29-2006, 11:53 AM
The Kings who need a PG BAD, passed on Williams too because they saw something they didnt like. Everyone *****es about how OMG Tins has a bad attitude, Tins pouts, Tins this Tins that. Well this guy is said to have a bad attitude also, why are people *****ing about passing on him. If you want him on your team then dont ***** about Tins being on the team.

OFT

indytoad
06-29-2006, 11:55 AM
People would not be nearly as upset with Shawne's pick if not for the fact, that Marcus Williams was on the board.

And Rondo. And Farmar. And Brown. And Lowry. And Ager. And...

IndyToad
Dust-free

FrenchConnection
06-29-2006, 12:07 PM

We all seem to ignore attitude and character in draft picks, as if these problems work themselves out in the league. Yeah right. A guy with a poor work ethic is suddenly going to get better after he signs the multi-million contract than he was when he was working to get the money?

Unclebuck
06-29-2006, 12:11 PM
People would not be nearly as upset with Shawne's pick if not for the fact, that Marcus Williams was on the board. If he was gone and we picked Shawne everyone would be happier.

This site had Marcus going late first or early second round. I don't want an overweight point guard who steals computers who needs his mommy to live with him to straighten him out

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/Draft/2006/toptenbyposition.htm

D-BONE
06-29-2006, 12:20 PM
This site had Marcus going late first or early second round. I don't want an overweight point guard who steals computers who needs his mommy to live with him to straighten him out

Sounds reasonable to me. If he winds up being a big time player, good for him, but it's not as if he didn't have issues that involved some risk, too.

Besides, we don't have Jason Kidd to hold down the fort and tutor him until he's ready. If we are in the market to bring another PG, it could be they prefer an established pro that stands a better chance to stabilize the team next year.

Chauncey
06-29-2006, 12:25 PM

Yeah, dumb Laker fans are. They had no choice but to draft Farmar with that pick. 19 years old, that much talent, that much proven, local guy, need position...it added up to way too much to pass on.

BTW, Josh Howard was an absolute stud in college and has a much better feel for the game than Williams. Its not even debatable.

birdman
06-29-2006, 12:27 PM
And Rondo. And Farmar. And Brown. And Lowry. And Ager. And...

IndyToad
Dust-free

Williams is a much better pick than Rondo and Ager. Rondo can't shoot...at all, and we already have our Ager in Fred Jones.

Chauncey
06-29-2006, 12:27 PM

The more you keep reaching to try and justify the pick, the worse it looks. At some point UB, you're going to have to do something besides support every decision the Pacers make. People make bad decisions sometimes, it happens. It doesn't mean they suck at their job, it means they made a bad choice.

Its ok to be critical. You don't have to be a homer all of the time.

RWB
06-29-2006, 12:30 PM
who needs his mommy to live with him to straighten him out

Is it me or did anyone else get the impression Momma Williams has dreams of doing Chunky Soup commercials along with Donovan's mom?

Unclebuck
06-29-2006, 12:38 PM
The more you keep reaching to try and justify the pick, the worse it looks. At some point UB, you're going to have to do something besides support every decision the Pacers make. People make bad decisions sometimes, it happens. It doesn't mean they suck at their job, it means they made a bad choice.

My point is this. Until last night I had never heard of Shaune Williams and I really had no idea who Marcus Williams was either, I don't know who will be the better player.

But from what I've read in the last 15 hours Marcus Williams seems to have some issues, and in no way was he a can't miss, Chris Paul type of player at point guard.

But all I read about in this forum is how the pacers should have taken Marcus instead of Shaune.

I'll admit I have no idea who they should have taken, but I think to be fair we need to point out that Marcus has some issues.

We'll find out in a couple of years.

indytoad
06-29-2006, 12:42 PM
Williams is a much better pick than Rondo and Ager. Rondo can't shoot...at all, and we already have our Ager in Fred Jones.

Rondo may not be able to shoot, but he can drive and he can defend, two things we're seriously lacking in the backcourt. And Fred Jones may not even be here next season. Why we chose yet another small forward out of a plethora of guards that will likely all be better is beyond me.

IndyToad
Game over

naptown
06-29-2006, 12:43 PM
The last thing the Pacers needed was Marcus Williams. Another ego maniac head case me first player. That type of mentality is what has destroyed the last two seasons. Why bring in another one?

PacerFreak31
06-29-2006, 12:44 PM

So he is being a homer by pretty much wanting to wait and see how the player pans out? I mean can you honestly sit here and say you know without a doubt that Williams is going to be a bust? I would rather go ahead and start getting excited about the two guys we got, than to go ahead and say they were busts. Then if they are busts i'll admit we made a mistake (Bender). But that is the difference between being a homer and a fan. A fan can admit we made a mistake but still be excited about their team. A homer refuses to admit management ever made a mistake. But to say they made a mistake before you even see these players play is almost like being an Anti-homer which I think is worse than being a homer.

PacerMan
06-29-2006, 12:46 PM

And at some point you're going to have to actually let these boys REACH THE FLOOR before deciding whether they are a wasted pick or a good pick. :rolleyes:

naptown
06-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Rondo is 6'1" and cant shoot. You have to be a SPECIAL player to play in this league at a high level at 6'1".... Rondo aint that special and will never be a starting PG in the NBA.

Unclebuck
06-29-2006, 12:49 PM
One other thing. It isn't like the Pacers drafted in the top 10, or even the top 15. Any pick at 17 is going to have some question marks. Well almost every player at 17, maybe Granger spoiled us too much

indytoad
06-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Rondo is 6'1" and cant shoot. You have to be a SPECIAL player to play in this league at a high level at 6'1".... Rondo aint that special and will never be a starting PG in the NBA.

He'd still be a better point guard than anyone on our roster.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, Rondo wasn't at the top of my list anyway. Just saying he would have been a smarter pick than Williams (Shawne).

IndyToad
For the duration

bulletproof
06-29-2006, 12:50 PM
We'll find out in a couple of years.

I think we'll find out this summer why we chose who we did in the draft. Strange reactions around here.

Chauncey
06-29-2006, 12:55 PM
So he is being a homer by pretty much wanting to wait and see how the player pans out? .

No, he's being a homer because he never accepts criticism about a decision management makes. On pretty much every issue that's ever been debated on these, he's sided with the player or management person involved. I think he's extremely loyal to the Pacers and is a great fan, but isn't always accepting of criticism of decisions made by them. On the flip side, I would agree that I'm usually all-too-critical of Pacers management/players. Its alright for us to disagree, for me to call him a homer, for him to call me a hater. It doesn't mean that either of us are right or wrong, just that we disagree.

S. Williams could, in fact, turn out to be a good player. My opinion is that even if he does, it won't be for a couple of years. Its the exact same opinion I had of Bender. Neither know the game of basketball very well and the time it takes to get their IQ up to where their athleticism is means wasting 2-3 years and probably only getting 1-2 productive years out of a draft choice before they have a chance for free agency.

Marcus Williams was the best point guard in this draft. He would have contributed right away and would have made this team better right away. Not only that, its not like he won't improve as well. I'm convinced that the reason they didn't draft him is because they want to give Saras a shot.

I'm just extremely disappointed that we aren't talking about a Marcus Williams and James White draft for the Pacers right now.

naptown
06-29-2006, 12:56 PM
He'd still be a better point guard than anyone on our roster.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, Rondo wasn't at the top of my list anyway. Just saying he would have been a smarter pick than Williams (Shawne).

IndyToad
For the duration

The guy aint even played 1 second in the NBA.... I would not say he is better than any of them until he shows otherwise.

PacerFreak31
06-29-2006, 01:18 PM
Marcus Williams was the best point guard in this draft. He would have contributed right away and would have made this team better right away. Not only that, its not like he won't improve as well. I'm convinced that the reason they didn't draft him is because they want to give Saras a shot.

I'm just extremely disappointed that we aren't talking about a Marcus Williams and James White draft for the Pacers right now.

I understand what you are saying and yes disagreement is going to happen. However, we don't know what management is trying to do. What if you knew for a fact that they have already tried to shop all three point gaurds and NO ONE offerened them anything? Meaning we are stuck with all three point gaurds... Then you want to add a fourth to the mix? I think that is a bad idea. Now lets look at this from another angle.. What if we lose Peja? Which is a good possibility. We have NO ONE that can play behind Granger if that happens. Maybe SJ but that would be it. I think this was a smart draft for us because I think we will lose FJ and Peja and both White and Williams can fill backup roles their rookie years which I think is a very good thing. If we keep Peja then I can see your point to some degree but I still would rather have a sf/pf/sg type player as a fourth point gaurd that even if he were to be the starter it probably still wouldn't happen for 2 years.

D-BONE
06-29-2006, 03:26 PM
The guy aint even played 1 second in the NBA.... I would not say he is better than any of them until he shows otherwise.

Definitely. I understand the strong desire to address the PG situation and frustration with the result of the pick for that reason. None the less, to call Rondo better than our current guys is too much of a stretch. Maybe several years down the road. I don't expect him to be an immediate impact guy. Maybe he will surprise me.