PDA

View Full Version : Williams excited to be here, White thought Pacers would take him 17th

Unclebuck
06-29-2006, 10:26 AM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/tigers/article/0,2844,MCA_25363_4809651,00.html

Tigers go back-to-back in 1st round

Carney ends up with Sixers, Williams top pick of the Pacers

By Jim Masilak
Contact
June 29, 2006

It was almost like one of the fast breaks they engineered together at the University of Memphis.

On Wednesday night, one after the other, Rodney Carney and Shawne Williams became the first Tiger duo ever selected in the first round of an NBA Draft when they were chosen with consecutive first-round picks, 16th and 17th overall, Carney by the Chicago Bulls and Williams by the Indiana Pacers.

"This is something I dreamed about," said Williams, a former Hamilton High standout. "This is what it's all about. All the years of hard work have paid off."

Memphis was one of just five schools, along with Connecticut, Duke, Michigan State and Villanova, to have two or more players chosen in the first round.

"It was great. For the two of them to go 16-17, I don't know if it's ever happened before in Memphis history," Tigers coach John Calipari said. "But it's great stuff."

Calipari and the Tigers had hoped to have three players selected for just the third time in school history -- a trio of UofM players were chosen in both 1973 and '86 -- but point guard Darius Washington went undrafted.

Projected as a possible lottery choice, Carney was one of the last players still waiting in the green room at Madison Square Garden in New York City when his name was finally called.

The 6-7, 205-pound small forward's rights were then traded by Chicago to the Philadelphia 76ers, along with a second-round choice in 2007 and cash considerations, in exchange for the rights to Swiss forward Thabo Sefolosha, who was chosen 13th overall.

Chris Emens, Carney's agent, said he and his client were in the dark about what was going on until Carney's name was announced by NBA commissioner David Stern.

"We thought he was gonna go a little higher, but at the end of the day the most important thing is the fit," Emens said. "You look at the 76ers' lineup and add Rodney to it, and all of a sudden you have a team, with Allen Iverson, Samuel Dalembert, Andre Iguodala and Chris Webber, that is as fast and athletic as any in the NBA."

Carney averaged 17.2 points and 4.3 rebounds per game as a senior while helping the Tigers to a 33-4 record, Conference USA regular-season and tournament titles and an Elite Eight appearance.

Carney, who could not be reached for comment, was followed quickly in the draft order by Williams, a 6-9, 225-pound small forward who was coveted by Pacers president Larry Bird.

With a flurry of trades being made in the first half of the first round, Bird said he feared missing out on the C-USA Freshman of the Year.

"We felt that Shawne Williams was the guy we wanted all along and we got him," Bird told ESPN. "We we just hoping and praying our guy would get to us and we got fortunate tonight."

Williams watched the draft at the Memphis home of his grandfather, Leon Williams, and was the first player to be selected who had not been invited by the NBA to attend the festivities in New York.

"I feel like it's the right fit. I told my agent that's where I wanted to go all along," Williams said. "I was scared for a minute because of all the crazy picks that were happening. I wanted to go there bad."

"He feels he can fit in well in that offense," said Williams' agent, Happy Walters. "The first team he told me he wanted to work out for was the Pacers, and that was a month and a half ago. He likes the players on that team."

ESPN analyst Jay Bilas was alternately complimentary and critical of Williams, who averaged 13.2 points in his only season with the Tigers. Bilas thought the Pacers, who already have a pair of small forwards in Danny Granger and free agent Peja Stojakovic, should have selected Connecticut point guard Marcus Williams.

"He's got every tool you'd want, every piece of ability," Bilas said of Williams. "But I don't know if he's a winner. That's a big question."

Williams said he didn't hear Bilas amid the hubbub of his selection.

"But I heard what Larry said, and he's probably one of the best basketball players of all time," Williams said. "To hear him say what he said, that means a lot."

Carney and Williams are the ninth and 10th players in UofM history to be selected in the first round of the NBA Draft.

Win Wilfong was chosen fourth overall in 1953. He was followed by Wayne Yates (fourth overall in 1961); Keith Lee (11th in '85); William Bedford (sixth in '86); Anfernee Hardaway (third in '93); David Vaughn (25th in '95); Lorenzen Wright (seventh in '96); and Dajuan Wagner (sixth in '02) as Tiger first-rounders.

Despite some solid pre-draft workouts that reportedly impressed scouts, Washington will now likely try to catch on with a team as a free agent.

Washington announced Monday that he had signed with agent Roger Montgomery, thus forfeiting his final two years of college eligibility.

Had Washington not signed with an agent, he could have returned to the U of M for his junior season.

"Sometimes you're almost happy (not to be chosen in the second round) because now you can pick the team you want to play for," Calipari said. "You get to pick the team you want to try to make."

--

Shade
06-29-2006, 10:30 AM
Glad to hear he wants to be here. Now hopefully he won't rack up DNP-CDs during his first few seasons.

Jon Theodore
06-29-2006, 10:30 AM
Well this article makes me feel better about it. The kid WANTS to be here. I think we are planning on trying Granger at the 2, considering we don't really have a 2. (I consider Jackson a 3)

I am expecting a major trade between now and next season.

Unclebuck
06-29-2006, 10:32 AM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060629/SPT0101/606290355/1062/SPT

White ecstatic to be drafted
UC star lands with Pacers
BY BILL KOCH | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

University of Cincinnati forward James White was selected by the Portland Trail Blazers with the first pick in the second round of the NBA draft Wednesday night.

The Trail Blazers then traded White to the Indiana Pacers.

White, a 6-foot-7 forward from Washington, D.C., became the 10th UC player drafted since 1997.

"It was the best feeling in the world," said White, who transferred to UC after his freshman year at Florida. "It's a joy for me to be picked by an NBA team. I've worked so hard to be where I am today. I would never throw that away. I've got a lot to prove. I know I can do it."

White, who was in Washington with his father, James III, said he thought he would be picked 17th by Indiana, but the Pacers went for Memphis' forward Shawne Williams instead.

There was also some speculation that White would be selected by the Los Angeles Lakers with the 26th pick of the first round, but the Lakers went with UCLA's Jordan Farmar instead.

"We were a little surprised about the Lakers," said Bill McCandless, White's agent. "We had all but a promise. What does that mean? Nothing."

McCandless said that White has agreed in principle to a contract with Reebok. He also said that the first pick of the second round has received guaranteed money in each of the last five years.

Nineteen players drafted in the second round last year made their teams.

Also, former University of Kentucky point guard Rajon Rondo was picked 21st overall by Phoenix before being traded to Boston.

E-mail bkoch@enquirer.com

Shade
06-29-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm honestly kinda surprised Portland traded with us again after the whole JO fiasco. :laugh:

Leisure Suit Larry
06-29-2006, 10:45 AM
Well this article makes me feel better about it. The kid WANTS to be here. I think we are planning on trying Granger at the 2, considering we don't really have a 2. (I consider Jackson a 3)

I am expecting a major trade between now and next season.

Well they consider Jackson a 2 because he is.

JayRedd
06-29-2006, 10:46 AM

I consider him a dunce

FrenchConnection
06-29-2006, 10:47 AM
I'm honestly kinda surprised Portland traded with us again after the whole JO fiasco. :laugh:

Portland is already going to have an all-rookie team next year. They could not afford another player that is probably good enough to make the team out of camp.

Hicks
06-29-2006, 10:58 AM
I'll say this, White sounds a hell of a lot better than that Lorbek guy.

Going off of what I know so far, it sounds like both of these guys will make the roster next year, which is good. I'm glad to hear Williams seemed to really want to be here.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-29-2006, 11:00 AM
I'll say this, White sounds a hell of a lot better than that Lorbek guy.

Going off of what I know so far, it sounds like both of these guys will make the roster next year, which is good. I'm glad to hear Williams seemed to really want to be here.

I'd be suprised if White didn't make the roster since they did trade for him.

Jermaniac
06-29-2006, 12:05 PM
"He feels he can fit in well in that offense," said Williams' agent, Happy Walters. "The first team he told me he wanted to work out for was the Pacers, and that was a month and a half ago. He likes the players on that team."

He wants to play with Jermaine O'Neal.

Are Shawne and Flight going to be in Indy for the press conferance thing today?

Doug
06-29-2006, 12:07 PM
"He feels he can fit in well in that offense,"

What offense? Our one from last year? 'cause I don't know if he fits with that one.

Did TPTB let him know that we are changing to a more up-tempo, less fixed offense?

SoupIsGood
06-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Did anyone catch the part about guaranteed money?

Even though White was seconds round, he was #31, which looks like it means hes going to get guaranteed money and be on our team no matter what.

Slick Pinkham
06-29-2006, 12:37 PM

he's a ZERO.

FrenchConnection
06-29-2006, 12:48 PM

Even though White was seconds round, he was #31, which looks like it means hes going to get guaranteed money and be on our team no matter what.

Especially because we traded up to get him. You don't trade picks and then just let the guy go. I think that they expect to get a 2nd round pick when Freddie is signed by another team, like they did with James Jones.

blanket
06-29-2006, 01:24 PM
I think that they expect to get a 2nd round pick when Freddie is signed by another team, like they did with James Jones.

Good call. I hope you're right. I don't like the idea of not having a 2nd rounder next year when those high schoolers who previously would've been in this year's draft come out as Freshman and push the talent level further down into the 2nd round.

Los Angeles
06-29-2006, 02:48 PM
What offense? Our one from last year? 'cause I don't know if he fits with that one.

Did TPTB let him know that we are changing to a more up-tempo, less fixed offense?
What offense from last year? We had several.

Doug
06-29-2006, 02:51 PM
What offense from last year? We had several.

True. Maybe he only saw the games when JO was out and we played more uptempo. Not the stand-around-and-dump-it-into-JO one that seemed to be the default.

Steve McQueen
06-29-2006, 03:04 PM

Actually, Im pretty sure no 2nd rounders are guranteed guranteed money. Theyre just saying every player picked at #31 the past 5 years has impressed enough to earn guranteed money, so they feel James will as well.