PDA

View Full Version : Saras is the new starting PG

Chauncey
06-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Whether you like it or not, you better get used to it. Barring the unforeseen miracle that Tinsley decides to get (and stay) in shape and play through broken fingernails, the Pacers are going to give Saras the opportunity to run the show next year.

Once they passed on Marcus Williams, this became obvious.

SoupIsGood
06-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Hmm.

I think we'll trade for a PG.

Chauncey
06-29-2006, 09:16 AM
Hmm.

I don't think so. I think Bird wants to give his guy a chance. This is Bird's guy, remember. He went out of his way to bring him to the team and I don't think he'll be happy with another year of Saras buried on the bench (at least until he buries himself on the bench again with bad play)

D-BONE
06-29-2006, 09:23 AM
The PG sitch is obviously the big mystery heading into the summer/next season. The possibilities:

-Acquire another via trade, FA, etc. or do nothing

-AJ takes over and actually continues his strong play or not

-Tins stays, actually stays healthy, and lives up to his potential or not

-Saras takes over and shows marked improvement or not

-Repeat of last years revolving door

Will obviously be a major, if not the biggest, X factor moving ahead.

Steve
06-29-2006, 09:24 AM
I agree that that is a real possibility. Also explains why Bird was so high on White, the guard we traded for in the second round. Sounds like he has the ability to partially compensate for the defensive liabilities of Saras.

SoupIsGood
06-29-2006, 09:25 AM
I don't think so. I think Bird wants to give his guy a chance. This is Bird's guy, remember. He went out of his way to bring him to the team and I don't think he'll be happy with another year of Saras buried on the bench (at least until he buries himself on the bench again with bad play)

Well, I don't really mind this. I've wanted to get rid of AJ and Tins, keep Saras as backup, and land another PG to start.

But this would basically be the same thing in reverse. If Saras flops, he can just backup the 2nd pg that we hopefully acquire....

Putnam
06-29-2006, 09:59 AM
Whether you like it or not, you better get used to it. Barring the unforeseen miracle that Tinsley decides to get (and stay) in shape and play through broken fingernails, the Pacers are going to give Saras the opportunity to run the show next year.

Too soon! Too soon! Nothing is obvious yet. The draft was just the first step in a summer's worth of changes.

Next on the agenda: purging the roster of Stephen Jackson.

Unclebuck
06-29-2006, 10:00 AM

I don't understand why you believe that.

What, is Bird going to trade AJ and Tinsley and not get another point guard? Are the Pacers going to make 2 or 3 trades and not acquire a point guard in any of them.

The only way Saras is the starting point guard next season is if Saras and Gill are the only two points on the team. That is the only way

owl
06-29-2006, 10:01 AM
If Bird can hold Carlisle's feet to fire in Saras's regard then yes he will play
point, as he should. He is NOT a shooting guard. I believe it would be a good
thing. Surround him with athletes and he will get them the ball.

Shade
I'm not overly concerned about our PG situation. Tinsley is beyond due to be mildly healthy, AJ played pretty well, and I feel that Saras just hit the rookie wall and will be better this season. Not to say that I wouldn't mind an upgrade, but I'm much more concerned with getting a new starting SG and C. It looks like we got Freddie's (and Peja's?) replacements in the draft.

Leisure Suit Larry
I think it means that Tinsley is staying (Thank God!)

Shade
06-29-2006, 10:05 AM
I think it means that Tinsley is staying (Thank God!)

The only thing it tells me is that we felt that there wasn't a starting-caliber PG in this year's draft.

Unclebuck
06-29-2006, 10:08 AM
The only thing it tells me is that we felt that there wasn't a starting-caliber PG in this year's draft.

Thank you, finally someone making some sense.

If you go back and listen to Bird's pre draft press conference from last Friday, he said that they would look at a point guard if he believes they are better than what they
have.

Well I believe Bird knows what starting point guard they are going to be trading for and Bird knws he already has a few backup point guards right now

Bball
06-29-2006, 10:13 AM
I follow the thought progression but think the analysis might be too soon. With Tinsley and Sjax both still on the team I think more moves are coming. I cannot imagine TPTB would keep both. If any team would keep one of them tho, and give someone another chance, it is the Pacers. Heck, if any team would keep both, it is the Pacers too :(

-Bball

Jon Theodore
06-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Hmm.

between jack, aj, tins, and jo one of them will be traded if not a package. I think we are trading for a PG or SG or both.

FSU-IU
06-29-2006, 10:16 AM
I'm fine with Saras being the starting PG---hell, give the guy a solid chance. We know exactly what we have (or don't have) with Tins, right? We know exactly how far his attitude and health are going to take the Pacers. What we don't know is if AJ had a dream season last year or if he should be the starter with Saras backing him up. Tins should be demoted to the 3rd PG based on his results per full season---the guy simply cannot stay helathy so why hang our hat on him any longer?

I simply want a change. I want to see the Pacers "cut the cord" with Tins even if he cannot be traded. Put him on the bench and try something else. I think he has had ample time to prove what he can do for the pacers...and it aint much. He does not deserve to be the starter here.

Suaveness
06-29-2006, 10:20 AM
Thank you, finally someone making some sense.

If you go back and listen to Bird's pre draft press conference from last Friday, he said that they would look at a point guard if he believes they are better than what they
have.

Well I believe Bird knows what starting point guard they are going to be trading for and Bird knws he already has a few backup point guards right now

This is what I was thinking when they passed up on Marcus. He must have some idea of what he wants to do. One hopes, at least.