PDA

View Full Version : Poll} What do you think of the Pacers draft?

Will Galen
06-29-2006, 06:18 AM
So what does everyone think of the Pacers draft? I went in not hoping for anyone in particular and I'm pleased. I think by the all star break we will have two contributers. We hardly ever draft two people and have them both make the team. Of course that's yet to be realized.

The poll is multiple choice, but only dummies will vote more than 3 times. The results can be seen so lets see who distinguishs theirselves.

Now we have the Summer league to look forward to in less than two weeks.

indygeezer
06-29-2006, 06:52 AM
I don't know.

I expected some movement up to get one of the better players. Personally, I'm disappointed and don't feel like they are all that committed to improving. It makes me worry that they are convinced that without the Artest distraction and IF they can keep from being injured they can make this work.

I guess I allowed myself to get swept up in the Draft-day hype, but it seems like they don't believe the fans booing Jackson was real.

D-BONE
06-29-2006, 08:34 AM
If I were assigning a letter grade, I'd be looking at the C+/B- range. Slightly above average b/c I think the upgrade in athleticism is a positive, but I don't know if Williams can contribute immediately. Certainly, he has the potential to be very good down the road, but there's definitely some risk involved with the pick.

That said, I think there are no givens so I'm not convinced that those left (including M. Williams) when we selected would have necessarily had an immediate and meaningful impact this coming year either. Given who was left on the board, IMO, I can live with the risk we took.

317Kim
06-29-2006, 09:19 AM
I really wasn't expecting much from the beginning so I'm pretty happy with what happened. At first, I was a bit disappointed that we didn't pick Marcus Williams, but after reading up on Shawne, I found out that he was pretty special. Getting James White was just saweeeeet.

SoupIsGood
06-29-2006, 09:22 AM
I like it. I have liked James White, and throughout these playoffs saw how important lanky, versatile forwards have become. No prob with Shawne.

In the heat of the moment I probably would have taken then Williams PG, but I'm kinda glad that we passed on the character issues now. We've had enough of that.

wintermute
06-29-2006, 10:05 AM
with all the draft related threads, this seems to be the best place to summarize my opinion.

my first reaction was shock. i was certain that we were going after nba-ready players who might help push us back to contender status. after all, aren't we (supposedly) just a few steps away? and larry has hinted that we're after college-proven players. a smokescreen in the walsh tradition, that :D

barring unexpected rapid development from our draft picks though, their selections hint strongly at rebuilding. maybe shawne williams can become a future lamar odom, but it will be 2-3 years at least before we see it. and, along the way, he could become tim thomas instead.

in some ways i am happier with the james white selection because he does fill a need. he is said to be a lockdown defender and we could sure use that in our backcourt. plus, he's insurance in case freddie leaves.

in all, this is a draft geared more for the future than the present. i won't be suprised now if larry went and blew the team up. i suspect peja will walk. i think we will listen to j.o. trade proposals, but probably won't trade him. freddie is 50-50, i think pacers won't mind having him, but won't overpay to keep him either.

it does seem strange that we haven't addressed our main problem spots - big man depth and the pg rotation - but we still have a summer of trades to get through. so i guess i'm ok with it not being addressed in the draft.

as of now though, our roster is imbalanced again. not that it's necessarily bad - our 61 win squad was forward heavy, with j.o., ron, and al as our best players. maybe tptb are trying to recapture that magic combination?

Skaut_Ech
06-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Artest's ripples are still being felt. Amazing. :disappoin

I think The Pacers tried to go for as safe of a pick as they could. They didn't want someone disruptive personality-wise and didn't want someone with a glaring deficiency. I think fear drove our 1st draft pick.

Of the guys left on the board, I thought the following:

:dunce:*Marcus Williams- I think Williams got the same overhype that Sebastian Telfair got. The difference is that I don't think Marcus is very intelligent. I was cringing when I saw him still available. Will the kid have the basketball IQ to be a good player? I dunno. Indicatoirs are that he's going to need some nursing both on and off the court. It's obvious to me that his mom sees that he needs a tight rein. did you get that veiled inference from her little interview? If we had taken him and he washed out, it would have been a death blow to m arketing that it would have teken years and years for us to recover from. A tiny part of me is intrigued by him, but not worth the risk with THIS squad.

If this team had a different makeup, I'd say he was worth the risk.

:shakehead*Rondo- Let's face it. everyone's been saying the same thing about him. He can't shoot. When they started talking about how defenses simply dropped off him in college to use HIS defender as a double team guy, I though, we don't need that. I can live with us passing on him.

:shrug:*Josh Boone- We've got him on the team already. His name is Jeff Foster.

:sadyes::melodrama*Shannon Brown-Should have been our guy. Pure and simple. I know Mocks didn't have him very high, but he struck me as a guy who would have fit in well and gives us what we need. Cavs got a steal here, imho.

:hissyfit:*Jordan Farmar- Another guy who would have been a strong pick. Why? Basketball smarts. This kid could be a starter and a leader. I would have been happy with him. He is JUST what the Lakers need, dammit.

:duh:*Marurice Ager- We have HIM on our team already, too. His name is Freddie Jones.

So, I would have MUCH prefered we had taken Shannon Brown, with Farmar a distant second.

Second round was a lucky steal and I LOVE that pick. Drafting Shannon was kind of like drafting Granger-lite, or Joey Graham-lite. I see him being a nice, solid contributor, but not a star. I think Farmar and especially Shannon Brown could be stars (not all-stars, but stars) in the right situations. I think they both fell into great situations.

We would have had a great situation for them both.

1st round was a nice safe pick. I can livew with it, but saw us passing up on a glaring void that could have been filled. Second round I saw as a potentially electric player that makes up a bit for our ultra-conservative 1st pick.

I'm waffling between a good draft and just okay. I don't think we hurt ourselves, but we could have done quite a bit better.

Shade
06-29-2006, 10:13 AM
Is it wrong to be more excited about our second pick than our first pick?

grace
06-29-2006, 10:19 AM
My opinion is I have no opinion.

naptownmenace
06-29-2006, 10:22 AM
I like it. I have liked James White, and throughout these playoffs saw how important lanky, versatile forwards have become. No prob with Shawne.

In the heat of the moment I probably would have taken then Williams PG, but I'm kinda glad that we passed on the character issues now. We've had enough of that.

James will play SG in the NBA. He has the height and game to play SF but not the size.

He's so quick, I think he'll be a matchup nightmare for a lot of swingmen around the league. In fact, he's probably the fastest player to ever play for the Pacers. As you can tell, I'm pretty geeked that the Pacers got him!

JayRedd
06-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Well there wasn't a big guy left that was worth a 1st Round pick at 17. Of all the guards we passed up on (Douby, Rondo, Williams, Lowry, Brown, Farmer, Rodriguez, Ager, Collins), I'm not sure if any of them will be definitely better than Shawne. I really don't like drafting people that aren't going to play for 2-3 years, given that rookie contracts are up in 4 years, but I really don't have a guage on how NBA ready this guy is. Personally, I would have rather taken Douby or Brown, but you can't teach atlethicism in a 6'9", 225 lb body. I know this means nothing, but between him and Granger, we at least have two guys that should have the foot speed to play perimeter defense.

I think Bird is far from done here though. I expect 2-3 more personnel changes, starting with Jax.

Bball
06-29-2006, 10:31 AM
I checked the Magic 8 Ball to answer this poll. It said "Inconclusive".

-Bball

Shade
06-29-2006, 10:34 AM
James will play SG in the NBA. He has the height and game to play SF but not the size.

He's so quick, I think he'll be a matchup nightmare for a lot of swingmen around the league. In fact, he's probably the fastest player to ever play for the Pacers. As you can tell, I'm pretty geeked that the Pacers got him!

Faster than Siggy? That would be awesome.

I agree that James will play SG, and we'll probably try to play Shawne at the 4. Does this mean that Cro could be on the way out?

JayRedd
06-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Faster than Siggy? That would be awesome.

I agree that James will play SG, and we'll probably try to play Shawne at the 4. Does this mean that Cro could be on the way out?

I imagine we'll hold on to Croshere until right before the trade deadline so we can get the most value out of his expiring contract as teams that have given up will be looking to get under the cap to make their free agent runs.

Unclebuck
06-29-2006, 10:39 AM
This draft makes me feel much more confident in Bird's ability as GM.

I was afraid Bird was always looking for unathletic shooters, but this proves he's not and that makes me feel a lot better

JayRedd
06-29-2006, 10:40 AM
I was afraid Bird was always looking for unathletic shooters, but this proves he's not and that makes me feel a lot better

I won't be convinced of this until he lets Peja walk. Please prove Unclebuck right, Larry.

Putnam
06-29-2006, 10:55 AM
The two new draftees take places at the end of the bench or roster. From that perspective, they are quite satisfactory.

Shawne Williams is a big upgrade over Jonathan Bender.
James White is a big upgrade over Eddie Gill.

Viola, reason to rejoice!

It was a weak draft and we made the team better, so why not be satisfied at this point? If we see during the summer leagues that these guys can contribute in 06-07, then it will be all the better.

If the draft was the only thing we expected to do during this off-season, then the picks would matter a lot. But these picks are probably just the first of several moves. Both guys will probably strengthen the middle of the rotation, but there is work to do in the starting five that must be done via trades.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-29-2006, 10:58 AM
I won't be convinced of this until he lets Peja walk. Please prove Unclebuck right, Larry.

Peja isn't going anywhere. He'll be in a Pacers uniform next year.

ChicagoJ
06-29-2006, 11:37 AM
After a year (or more) of Carlisle, these guys will still be 2-4 years away from contributing, if ever.

:banghead:

Jermaniac
06-29-2006, 11:39 AM
I loved the draft

blanket
06-29-2006, 11:44 AM
Portland must've been getting a lot of interest in White from other teams after they made their pick since we gave up not only our 2nd round pick (who was already a steal at 45), but two future 2nd rounders, too. That seems like a lot to give up, particularly considering that Portland then turned around and traded our 45 pick for just 1 future 2nd rounder.

I would've felt better about the trade if it had been either 45 and a future 2nd for White, or just two future 2nds and we keep 45. Like I said, there must've been other teams offering more for us to give up that much.

And I think next year's 2nd round is going to be good, too :(

bulletproof
06-29-2006, 11:58 AM
I loved the draft

Me too. It brings somewhat of a new face and direction to this team. And I disagree wholeheartedly with Indygeezer (sorry geez), because if anything, the picks indicate to me that there may be some substantial changes on the way. It really opens up a lot of possibilities on that front.

Oh, and I think it's difficult to judge our picks until we see what we do this summer.

btowncolt
06-29-2006, 12:02 PM
I loved the draft

QFT

We ride together.

naptown
06-29-2006, 12:27 PM
I have no issues with the players the Pacers took in this draft. We were incredibly bad on perimeter D last year and seriously lacked athleticism. These two picks go a long way to addressing those problems. One or both of these players are going to be playing key reserve roles for us by the all star break.

And as far as Chad Ford and the rest of the "experts".... if they were one tenth the masters of judging talent that many here seem to give them credit for then they would not be making a 5 figure salary writing stories. They would be working for an NBA team making a 6 to 7 figure salary.

SoupIsGood
06-29-2006, 12:41 PM

I was thinking about Shawne when I was talking about forwards. I kinda transitioned between thoughts weirdly there.

CableKC
06-29-2006, 12:59 PM
I can break it down to 2 reactions....

1st pick - After reading his profile.....Shawne Williams is the type of "gamble" that UB was hoping that we can get. I'm not saying he's a bad pick....or even a good pick....its just one of those picks that initially left me "confused". Given Bird's / Carlisle's statement about this "uptempo" offense....then I understand why...but I wonder if he would have been available further down the line...where we could have traded down. But that's fine.....I am not disappointed with the pick.

2nd Pick - I like that we moved up to get White. I'm glad we have an athletic, quick SG that can score and MOST IMPORTANTLY defend the perimeter.

So...for now...I'm okay with the draft. I still think that if Bird really tried....maybe we could have traded down....but that's fine...given Walsh's track history of drafting college players that eventually turn out to ( at least ) be solid backup players....then I am okay with who we got.

Doug
06-29-2006, 01:16 PM
When I went to bed last night, I thought our draft sucked.

This:

2nd Pick - I like that we moved up to get White. I'm glad we have an athletic, quick SG that can score and MOST IMPORTANTLY defend the perimeter.

Makes me feel much better about it. This was a very glaring need.

bread
06-29-2006, 01:24 PM
I think we had a good draft mainly because this draft didn't have the kind of players that would have made us considerably better right away. We weren't going to get much better players than what we got.

I'm glad that we didn't take any of the PGs because none of them would have been much of an upgrade, if any, over what we already have. However, if we would have traded Tins or AJ to move up then we would have hand-cuffed ourselves into taking a PG in a draft that was PG-weak. As it stands we were able to pick up 2 solid choices while seeing what washes out from the other teams (Delonte West?). We still have the pieces to make some trades to improve at PG and possibly C.

Anthem
06-29-2006, 01:30 PM
I don't get the "defend the perimeter" stuff. The perimeter players we were having trouble with are point guards. We did pretty well against swingmen.

It's the fast PGs that kill us, and we didn't improve against them.

CableKC
06-29-2006, 02:08 PM
When I went to bed last night, I thought our draft sucked.
Makes me feel much better about it. This was a very glaring need.

Yeah...its like Walsh and Bird finally figured out that players like Wade, Iverson ( for now ) and Rip were in the Eastern Conference.

Ever since we started losing to the Pistons in the Playoffs...3 seasons ago.......its like Walsh/Bird couldn't figure out that Artest was the only one that could adequately defend quick Guards.

diamonddave00
06-29-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm pretty happy with the draft. I'm sure like many others that let out a sigh of relief when J J Redick was drafted by the Magic.

The fact we grabbed Shawne Williams and James White 2 long athletic bodies was a good sign to me that Pacer brass realizes the nba is about to enter the uptempo era again.

I found it interesting reading a Lakers forum and hearing how unhappy they were that local guy Jordan Farmar was the Laker pick. Referring to him as turnover prone , and a poor shooter ,physically weak ,who wasn't even the best point guard on his college team.

Several on the Lakers site also pointed out disappointment that James White wasn't taken instead , saying he was the ideal NBA shooting guard of the future and going on and on about his physical ability.

The Pacers may have to wait awhile (hopefully Bird is correct in what he said that eyes will be opened quickly when people get to see Williams and White play).

In my opinion Peja Stojakovic will be resigned longterm. Fred Jones and Eddie Gill are history. Scot Pollard is prob 50/50 at this point.

The Pacers are still going to make more moves before opening night -maybe not as big as some hope , but moves will be made.

Putnam
06-29-2006, 03:44 PM
I don't get the "defend the perimeter" stuff. The perimeter players we were having trouble with are point guards. We did pretty well against swingmen.

It's the fast PGs that kill us, and we didn't improve against them.

Wouldn't White be able to switch off with our point guard and defend against the other team's best scorer? If he is so freakin' fast, then he can stay in front of Iverson or get a hand in his face.

Kid Minneapolis
06-29-2006, 03:58 PM
I'm not getting too excited about this draft. We got a project with all the talent in the world in the first round and a hype player in the second round... and I'm all too familiar with how those picks turn out --- they don't.

So they gotta prove me wrong. Bein' able to dunk is neat, but not gonna carry a team to a new level. White *has* to take a lot of his game to the next level. As for Williams, havin' all the talent in the world is meaningless until that talent is realized and used to full potential. And I just don't see that happen often.

We seem to be deep in the middle of our line-up, so will these guys even see much play-time? I doubt it. Not in the next year. White might come in during garbage time and rack a sick dunk on some 5th-stringer with 2 mins left in a blow-out, but whoop-de-doo.

Unlike most other folks on here, I know this Pacer management too well by now to honestly believe they're gonna make any blockbuster trades --- if any at all. I'd be *surprised* if Indy did a trade. I think this next year will be a transition year, and most likely a pretty frustrating one, in regards to "success".

Williams might luck out and get playing time when Granger finally goes out for extended time because of knee problems (as much as I like Granger). Call me a pessimist, but I'm just too accustomed to frustration and disappointment with this team. I'm gonna need a lot of beer this next season as I watch every game.

Anyway, I'm not expecting these rookies to perform miracles, and I'm fully resigned to the fact that we might not witness any major contribution from either of them for a year or two down the road, if ever.

So C+ for me.

*sigh* I miss Reggie... he brought heart and soul to this team, and no one on this team comes even remotely close to filling that void. Just a buncha paid athletes now.

blanket
06-30-2006, 07:16 PM
In my opinion Peja Stojakovic will be resigned longterm. Fred Jones and Eddie Gill are history. Scot Pollard is prob 50/50 at this point.

The Pacers are still going to make more moves before opening night -maybe not as big as some hope , but moves will be made.

dd00 -

do you think the Pacers will make a move (through trade or FA) for a new starter at any position -- particularly PG -- or do you think all starters this year will come from within the current roster?