PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Score Double Bonus

Pacersfan.
06-29-2006, 01:52 AM
Pacers Score Double Bonus
Getting Williams, White

By Conrad Brunner | June 28, 2006<hr> Larry Bird isn't really the excitable type, but he made little attempt to conceal his delight over what the Pacers were able to accomplish in the NBA Draft. Not only did they select the player targeted for No. 17, Memphis forward Shawne Williams, they acquired another player near the top of their prospect list by trading for Cincinnati guard James White, the No. 31 pick in the second round. "When you get down here and you talk to the press about your players you always say how great they are," Bird said. "But we're really excited about this, we really are. We just can't believe what we did tonight. We're really proud of it."
The 6-9 Williams was the Conference USA Freshman of the Year for 2005-06 and was named to the national all-freshman team by several media outlets including The Sporting News. He averaged 13.2 points, 6.2 rebounds and 1.36 blocks with Memphis, shooting .416 from the field and .312 from the 3-point line. Williams finished the year with a flourish, averaging 18.0 points and 6.7 rebounds while earning conference tournament MVP honors. He also scored 26 points against UCLA. He is considered an athletic player with excellent shooting range as well as ball-handling and shot-blocking skills.
White, a 6-7 guard capable of playing all three perimeter positions, is considered a tenacious defender and capable scorer who led Cincinnati at 16.3 points per game last season, shooting .488 from the field and .374 from the 3-point line.
The two draftees bring a substantial amount of rangy athleticism to a roster generally lacking in that area last season.
"I'm really pleased with both our picks," Bird said. "James White, we had him very high on our board. We could've taken him at 17 just as easy. We're very happy we got both of them. I think you can see we're going more athletic now, longer guys. I can envision them guys being out there playing this year. As time goes on you'll see what I see in these players because they're very athletic and have a lot of talent. To come away with these two guys, we've got to be very happy."
Williams and White were in the same workout for the Pacers' scouting staff and made a distinct impression on Coach Rick Carlisle.
"I remember thinking at the time, 'If we could ever get two athletic, competitive, high-octane guys like this it could really help change some dimensions on our team and it would really push other guys to play,' " Carlisle said. "These guys will do that. These guys are both first-rate competitors. We need energy players. These guys are both high-energy players."
The need for length and athleticism outweighed the temptation to select a point guard. Connecticut's Marcus Williams, a highly regarded prospect, was available at No. 17 but Bird said Memphis' Williams "was the guy" he wanted all along.
To obtain White, the Pacers traded their No. 45 pick, Florida State power forward Alexander Johnson, and two future second-round picks to Portland. The Blazers will receive Indiana's second-round pick in 2007 and the worst of two second-round picks in 2008; the Pacers own Phoenix's second-rounder that year from the James Jones trade.
"It's a bargain, believe me," Bird said. "You'll see that in the next few weeks."
Bird shrugged off criticism of the Williams selection by ESPN analysts Jay Bilas and Greg Anthony, who both questioned his focus and commitment.
"They questioned his work ethic but I haven't seen that," Bird said. "In the college game, he started off hot, he sort of hit the wall and went down a little bit and at the end he took off again."
To the Pacers, draft night represented a major coup.
"We're just trying to get Rick all the players he wants," Bird said, smiling. "Then it's his problem."
Said the coach: "It's a good problem to have."

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/draft_060628.html

Most important thing I got out of this article is that Rick is here to stay.

<script language="JavaScript" src="http://www.nba.com/js/emailStory.js"></script> <script language="Javascript"> document.write("E-mail this story (http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/)"); </script>

PostArtestEra
06-29-2006, 01:56 AM
A GM could draft a tomato and an RC Cola, and he would tell you that this is exactly what he wanted. They say the same thing damn every damn year. I think I'll wait to actually see these guys play before I get too excited.

Young
06-29-2006, 01:57 AM
I hope this is true:

"These guys are both first-rate competitors. We need energy players. These guys are both high-energy players."

tdubb03
06-29-2006, 02:03 AM
It seems like a trade's gotta be in the works. I'm convinced next year we'll be playing Euroball. JO's going to be playing the 5, if he likes it or not. I think Jax is going to stay.

Perhaps Jax/Tinsley for a distributing point who can stay healthy. Maybe a S&T of Peja along with Tinsley for a really good PG.

blanket
06-29-2006, 02:10 AM
It seems like a trade's gotta be in the works. I'm convinced next year we'll be playing Euroball. JO's going to be playing the 5, if he likes it or not. I think Jax is going to stay.

Perhaps Jax/Tinsley for a distributing point who can stay healthy. Maybe a S&T of Peja along with Tinsley for a really good PG.

I'm hoping for a trade of Jax and either AJ or Tinsley for Andre Miller. Very reliable, durable, pass-first guy who the Nugs reportedly want to move.

naptown
06-29-2006, 02:11 AM
S&T Peja with Jackson to Philly for Iverson.

Will Galen
06-29-2006, 02:19 AM
A GM could draft a tomato and an RC Cola, and he would tell you that this is exactly what he wanted. They say the same thing damn every damn year. I think I'll wait to actually see these guys play before I get too excited.

No they don't, Bird admitted he tried to move up to get Gordon. They did okay that year, (Fred) but it wasn't who they wanted.

croz24
06-29-2006, 02:20 AM
jax/tinsley for...eh hum...baron davis???

i seriously think we'll go after a steve francis, andre miller, mike james, or devin harris...

Pacersfan46
06-29-2006, 02:27 AM
S&T Peja with Jackson to Philly for Iverson.

Why would Philly ever do this?

Rodney Carney, Andre Iguodala, Stephen Jackson, and Peja?

4 guys at the SG/SF position, and yet no PG. I just don' see it happening.

owl
06-29-2006, 07:29 AM
jax/tinsley for...eh hum...baron davis???

i seriously think we'll go after a steve francis, andre miller, mike james, or devin harris...

I think if any trades are made it will be a trade with one of the expiring
contracts, probably Bender's and Tinsley for a Miller, or a James.
Devin Harris??? Do you really see him as available?

Deadshot
06-29-2006, 07:30 AM
No they don't, Bird admitted he tried to move up to get Gordon. They did okay that year, (Fred) but it wasn't who they wanted.

Fred was 2002. David was 2004.

fwpacerfan
06-29-2006, 07:37 AM
"We're just trying to get Rick all the players he wants," Bird said, smiling. "Then it's his problem."

Sounds like Rick has one more year to turn things around.

croz24
06-29-2006, 09:49 AM
I think if any trades are made it will be a trade with one of the expiring
contracts, probably Bender's and Tinsley for a Miller, or a James.
Devin Harris??? Do you really see him as available?

yes, i actually do think he might be available, but it's more of a false hope then anything. pacers don't have anything dallas would want for a guy like harris except jo. and the pacers won't/shouldn't trade big for small like that without having drafted a big.