06-28-2006, 11:20 PM
FYI.

317Kim
06-28-2006, 11:21 PM
Thanks for letting us know :)

Unclebuck
06-28-2006, 11:28 PM
Bird:

We're going more athletic, and longer guys.

Williams was the guy, I heard he was going at 13 all week long. When he fell to us we couldn't believe it

Suaveness
06-28-2006, 11:29 PM
White could play 1, 2, 3

Unclebuck
06-28-2006, 11:29 PM
We tried to trade up ahead of 13, to get Williams because we thought he was gone

Suaveness
06-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Williams will play behind Granger. Meaning Granger starts?

Unclebuck
06-28-2006, 11:31 PM
I had my eye on him all year long.

We liked Marcus Williams, but we had Williams rated higher

Suaveness
06-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Bird doesn't think it will take long for Williams to get acclimated. By all star, should be good

Doesn't see a work ethic problem with him

Unclebuck
06-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Both draft picks are first rate competitors.

We are seeing more and more size down basketball.

Williams is taller than Granger. He's more of a post up player, can consistantly make the 15 foot jump shot.

Major coup, word of this did not get out

Suaveness
06-28-2006, 11:35 PM
Athleticism is the key. Sized down basketball.

Williams taller than Granger. More of a established lowpost player. Can face up from 15 and consistantly make shot, can drive. Can guard. Good rebounding.

White one of the most athletic in draft

Williams and White were top on Larry's list. Scouts also liked Williams

rexnom
06-28-2006, 11:35 PM
Granger starts? Granger starts? Please God. This must mean that we are playing Phoenix style from now on. Right? I mean, we have some seriously athletic and versatile players.

Unclebuck
06-28-2006, 11:36 PM
White's more like Granger

Pacers gave up up a second round draft pick next year for White

Suaveness
06-28-2006, 11:37 PM
Thought White would go mid 20s. More like Granger than Williams. Says the picks we gave up are a bargain. "You'll see"

D-BONE
06-28-2006, 11:39 PM
I'd say good move for White. Guy went 1st round and it would seem Johnson was not as like by GMs as some of the scouting reports claimed.

Plus I like that I see lock down defender capability used in his scouting reports.

Suaveness
06-28-2006, 11:40 PM
"Push everybody to higher level"- Rick

We'll be better defensively. White is known is a top level defensive player. Williams can be. Length, athleticism.

Unclebuck
06-28-2006, 11:42 PM
Just for the record: Bird did say they want to re-sign Peja.

DW was not at the press conference

Evan_The_Dude
06-28-2006, 11:42 PM
I just want to know what's up with this whole "Granger starts" thing.

rexnom
06-28-2006, 11:45 PM
Ditto.

CableKC
06-28-2006, 11:46 PM
Bird:

We're going more athletic, and longer guys.

Williams was the guy, I heard he was going at 13 all week long. When he fell to us we couldn't believe it

I wonder who Bird was talking to that led him to think that Shawne Williams would be had at the 13th spot.

I'm not saying that he's going to be a bad pick....I just wonder if we could have traded down to get him and get back some decent assets along the way.

grace
06-28-2006, 11:47 PM
Just for the record: Bird did say they want to re-sign Peja.

I want to be a size 7. We all have our pipe dreams.

Chauncey
06-28-2006, 11:47 PM

Absolute BS, if he was going at #13 to the Sixers, then why didn't they draft him at #16? They took Carney instead.

Absolute proof that Bird is lying his a$$ off.

Unclebuck
06-28-2006, 11:50 PM
Absolute BS, if he was going at #13 to the Sixers, then why didn't they draft him at #16? They took Carney instead.

Absolute proof that Bird is lying his a$$ off.

Why would he offer that up. Bird said he heard Williams was going 13, maybe the Sixers lied or maybe others lied to Bird. The point of this is Williams was the guy the pacers wanted all along

Chauncey
06-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Why would he offer that up. Bird said he heard Williams was going 13, maybe the Sixers lied or maybe others lied to Bird. The point of this is Williams was the guy the pacers wanted all along

To cover his butt, thats why. If you don't think Larry Bird would lie in an interview, you're nuts.

Suaveness
06-28-2006, 11:52 PM

Nothing he never mentioned. I was just speculating, because he said Williams would play behind Granger. Who knows.

Unclebuck
06-28-2006, 11:58 PM
To cover his butt, thats why. If you don't think Larry Bird would lie in an interview, you're nuts.

Yes but why would he make up an elaborate story about trying to move up because he thought Williams was going 13. All Bird had to say was this was the guy he wanted.

I think Bird is telling the truth 100% in this case

Hicks
06-29-2006, 12:00 AM
I'm fascinated we're going so athletic. It flies in the face of getting guys like Harrison and Granger (though they both are far from UN athletic, they were picked for size and skills/IQ respectively).

This almost has me convinced we're actually going to become an up-tempo team.

Jose Slaughter
06-29-2006, 12:02 AM
So maybe Granger is playing behind Peja?

Young
I'm fascinated we're going so atheletic. It flies in the face of getting guys like Harrison and Granger (though they both are far from UN atheletic, they were picked for size and skills/IQ respectively).

I agree.

Even if Williams and White don't pann out as hoped at least this is a sign of using becoming a more up tempo team and changing out style. I do like that.

Unclebuck
I'm fascinated we're going so atheletic. It flies in the face of getting guys like Harrison and Granger (though they both are far from UN atheletic, they were picked for size and skills/IQ respectively).

I think Bird and Rick both see how the game has changed, so they have adjusted their approach

bulletproof
06-29-2006, 12:04 AM
James White
Outlook: White is the top of player who on skills and physical attributes alone, should find himself in the top 20 of this draft. After five years in college, the light bulb still hasnít come on for him from a mental standpoint, though, and many wonder if it ever will.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/players/26347

SoupIsGood
06-29-2006, 12:05 AM

Same here. These picks and UBs reports of wha Bird and Rick are saying has got me excited.

No more slowball? Uptempo? Please! :sunshine:

CableKC
06-29-2006, 12:05 AM
Nothing he never mentioned. I was just speculating, because he said Williams would play behind Granger. Who knows.

I would prefer the speculation that Williams plays behind Granger the "starting SF" rather then Granger the "backup PF/6th Man"...cuz this would mean that Williams would get about 5 minutes of playing time next year.

Unclebuck
06-29-2006, 12:09 AM
Same here. These picks and UBs reports of wha Bird and Rick are saying has got me excited.

No more slowball? Uptempo? Please! :sunshine:

Although, don't forget what Bird said about the Suns style. He doesn't really like it, but it's exciting to watch.

I think they are more interested in playing like the Mavs than the Suns. And contrary to some reports there is a big difference between the two teams as far as style of play

SoupIsGood
06-29-2006, 12:12 AM
Although, don't forget what Bird said about the Suns style. He doesn't really like it, but it's exciting to watch.

I think they are more interested in playing like the Mavs than the Suns. And contrary to some reports there is a big difference between the two teams as far as style of play

Well I hope we become uptempo but I hope we don't go ridicuously small like the Suns.

Slick Pinkham
06-29-2006, 12:13 AM
You don't change styles just because of two new bench players.

There must be a lot more changes, including possibly a coaching one.

NaptownBound
06-29-2006, 12:16 AM

Exactly. And if we're going to play like the Mavs (which means defense is a priority), then I like where we are headed. If we play the same way we've been playing, then this makes no sense. We shall see.

Chauncey
06-29-2006, 12:16 AM
You don't change styles just because of two new bench players.

There must be a lot more changes, including possibly a coaching one.

There'd have to be one.

CableKC
06-29-2006, 02:10 AM
Given where Bird hopes that we are headed......and the roster that we currently hold....ignoring players that most of us would want gone...specifically Tinsley and SJax....would either of their styles of play translate better what Bird hopes we can become?

Of the 3 PGs remaining.....AJ. Tinsley and Sarunas....how would they rank in this "uptempo" style of play?

Would Peja fit into any uptempo game?

blanket
06-29-2006, 02:18 AM
I wonder who Bird was talking to that led him to think that Shawne Williams would be had at the 13th spot.

I'm not saying that he's going to be a bad pick....I just wonder if we could have traded down to get him and get back some decent assets along the way.

Some draft boards I saw earlier this week had him going to New Orleans a few picks before us, too.

At most, he would've fallen to NY just a few picks after us, so trading down wasn't really viable.

skyfire
06-29-2006, 02:20 AM
I think Tins and Jax will be moved for their attitude issues and AJ because his trade value is at an all time high and he doesn't really suit a more up tempo style.

I'm still hoping that Delonte West can be obtained from Boston, which has been helped by the fact that they have acquired 2 more PGs.

blanket
06-29-2006, 02:23 AM
Given where Bird hopes that we are headed......and the roster that we currently hold....ignoring players that most of us would want gone...specifically Tinsley and SJax....would either of their styles of play translate better what Bird hopes we can become?

Of the 3 PGs remaining.....AJ. Tinsley and Sarunas....how would they rank in this "uptempo" style of play?

Would Peja fit into any uptempo game?

Presumably Saras is better suited to an up=tempo game. Tinsley could, too. I expect AJ to be dealt, though.

indytoad
06-29-2006, 02:58 AM
James White
Outlook: White is the top of player who on skills and physical attributes alone, should find himself in the top 20 of this draft. After five years in college, the light bulb still hasnít come on for him from a mental standpoint, though, and many wonder if it ever will.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/players/26347

Wunderbar. We did just get rid of Bender, after all, I guess a replacement was required.

You know, to balance the scales of the universe. Obviously.

IndyToad
Has a simple plan

Bball
06-29-2006, 05:18 AM
I think Bird and Rick both see how the game has changed, so they have adjusted their approach

So the leopard is changing his spots?

I certainly believe Rick can coach a different style of offense just fine. I believe Bird wants a different style of play as well.

I'm skeptical Carlisle can actually keep from falling back into conservative mode and dumping the ball into JO e.v.e.r.y. t.r.i.p. d.o.w.n. t.h.e. f.l.o.o.r.. ...Unless they take that option away from him...

-Bball

Jon Theodore
06-29-2006, 07:01 AM
I think this draft puts us in a good position to trade Jermaine/AJ.

For Jermaine and AJ, possibly seperate trades...you could get back a really good guard and possibly a defensive oriented pf/c.

Trade Jermaine for a solid guard like Michael Redd (others included). I am sure there are plenty of suitors for AJ especially after his playoff performances.

bread
06-29-2006, 07:34 AM
During Bird's interview on ESPN last night he said he thinks Williams can play the 3 and 4 just like Granger. Then said he envisions playing both of them at the same time in the future.

So my question is... what about JO and Peja? He didn't mention anything about them other than saying they "don't respond to rumors" when he was asked about the rumors involving JO. Hmmmm. :chin:

owl
06-29-2006, 07:49 AM
I believe getting these athletic players is well suited to Saras game. He
WILL get them the ball. Saras will be playing more point guard this
year.

Unclebuck
06-29-2006, 08:06 AM
I heard these comments last night from Rick, and I'd be interested in what others think about them.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/draft_060628.html

Williams and White were in the same workout for the Pacers' scouting staff and made a distinct impression on Coach Rick Carlisle.

"I remember thinking at the time, 'If we could ever get two athletic, competitive, high-octane guys like this it could really help change some dimensions on our team and it would really push other guys to play,' " Carlisle said. "These guys will do that. These guys are both first-rate competitors. We need energy players. These guys are both high-energy players."

FrenchConnection
06-29-2006, 09:54 AM
I heard these comments last night from Rick, and I'd be interested in what others think about them.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/draft_060628.html

Williams and White were in the same workout for the Pacers' scouting staff and made a distinct impression on Coach Rick Carlisle.

"I remember thinking at the time, 'If we could ever get two athletic, competitive, high-octane guys like this it could really help change some dimensions on our team and it would really push other guys to play,' " Carlisle said. "These guys will do that. These guys are both first-rate competitors. We need energy players. These guys are both high-energy players."

Interesting that they drafted two guys that were in for the same workout.

Unclebuck
06-29-2006, 09:57 AM
What does Rick mean, "push other guys to play", it almost sounds like we have some slackers

FrenchConnection
06-29-2006, 10:03 AM
What does Rick mean, "push other guys to play", it almost sounds like we have some slackers

Ya think?

Unclebuck
06-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Ya think?

Slackers at the forward positions though. The forwards are Granger, Peja, Jax, JO, Foster and Jeff. Is there a slacker in the group?

Bball
06-29-2006, 10:08 AM
Slackers at the forward positions though. The forwards are Granger, Peja, Jax, JO, Foster and Jeff. Is there a slacker in the group?

JO? :devil:

-Bball

Unclebuck
06-29-2006, 10:10 AM
JO? :devil:

-Bball

Well well well. Maybe so.

FrenchConnection
06-29-2006, 10:19 AM
We don't know what practices look like. I don't know about you, but I have never been to one. I would imagine that Jack is not a player that puts forth much effort in practice.

Bball
06-29-2006, 10:23 AM
We don't know what practices look like. I don't know about you, but I have never been to one. I would imagine that Jack is not a player that puts forth much effort in practice.

I wonder if he even shows up for the final practice before a deciding game in the playoffs?

:devil:

-Bball

NuffSaid
06-29-2006, 12:17 PM
I've been wondering that since I heard Bird say it last night and read about it again on IndyStar.com today. I hope what he means is, " Williams is 3rd string SF behind Granger". Otherwise, the learning curve for this sophomore/rookie duo had better be extremely fast!

Leisure Suit Larry
06-29-2006, 12:22 PM

I would guess he's one of the hardest workers on the team.

Anthem
06-29-2006, 12:32 PM
He means that Granger can be the starter and Williams can be the backup... at shooting guard.

:-o

vapacersfan
06-29-2006, 12:34 PM
You guys read to much into things, for real for real.

I think he just meant we havent been reaching our full potential (that dreaded "p" word), and hopefully adding new blood will shake that up

CableKC
06-29-2006, 01:18 PM
I wonder if he even shows up for the final practice before a deciding game in the playoffs?

:devil:

-Bball

I don't know...I know that SJax didn't show up for the last Playoff game itself.......:zip:

J_2_Da_IzzO
06-29-2006, 07:17 PM
He means that Granger can be the starter and Williams can be the backup... at shooting guard.

:-o

I think we are looking at this potential line up next year:

PG: ???, AJ, Saras
SG: Granger, Williams
SF: Peja, Jax
PF: JO, Cro
C: Foster, Harrison

I see us picking up a free agent PG. Dont know who tho. Terry would be a dream.