PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Celtics acquire Blazers' Telfair

Young
06-28-2006, 04:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2006/news/story?id=2503245

NEW YORK -- The Boston Celtics acquired second-year Portland Trail Blazers point guard Sebastian Telfair for the No. 7 pick in Wednesday's NBA draft, as well as one or two other players, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

The trade was agreed upon Wednesday afternoon but it came after the 2 p.m. ET deadline which means the Celtics will still be on the clock, selecting for the Blazers, when the No. 7 pick comes up during the draft.

Portland will pick at No. 4 and No. 7, barring any more trades.

One of the players from the Celtics could be injured point Dan Dickau (Achilles), but that wasn't confirmed as of Wednesday.

Boston has been searching for a true point guard and wasn't overwhelmed by the choices that it may have at No. 7. The Celtics worked out Connecticut's Marcus Williams, Kentucky's Rajon Rondo and Villanova's Randy Foye on Monday. All three could be available at No. 7. But the Celtics brass decided that Telfair, two years into the league, was better suited for the Celtics' system at this juncture in his career.

Danny Ainge, the director of basketball operations, looked at Telfair's first eight games -- 12.6 points, shooting 45.7 percent, 42.3 percent on 3s as well as four assists a game -- as the indicator of his ability. Telfair hurt his thumb after that and was out for an extended period of time. He lost the starting point guard position during his absence to Steve Blake and Jarrett Jack. He finished averaging 9.5 points, 3.6 assists and shot 39.4 percent in 68 games. Telfair was the No. 13 pick for the Blazers in 2004 out of Lincoln High in New York.

In his two years he averaged a combined 8.1 points, 3.5 assists and shot 39.4 percent.

This deal allows the Celtics to play Delonte West more as an off guard with Telfair as a natural point.

This trade won't deter the Celtics from still pursuing Philadelphia's Allen Iverson in a summer deal that is still very much alive with a third team still to be determined.

PostArtestEra
06-28-2006, 04:59 PM
I don't understand why the Celtics would do this unless Philly really wants Telfair. I'm baffled. I think we should have made a better offer for the seven pick.

Fireball Kid
06-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Its official. Danny Ainge is on crack.

Doug in CO
06-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Is Tinsley a better offer?

Jermaniac
06-28-2006, 05:04 PM
#7 PICK FOR TELFAIR, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Isaac
06-28-2006, 05:04 PM
Good trade for Both sides. Boston doesn't need anymore youth. Granted Telfair is still young, but he has a few years of NBA experience, and that's what they need right now.

Now, can Delonte West be had?? Please?

PostArtestEra
06-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Is West a FA? What's his deal.

NaptownBound
06-28-2006, 05:07 PM
so is Telfair gonna be West's backup? or vice versa?
does West move to the 2 spot?
and if so, that means either Wally or Pierce has to be on the move?

muy interesante.

ChicagoJ
06-28-2006, 05:11 PM
So Telfair will get you the #7 pick, but it takes an all-star like JO to move up to #1 or #2?

:tsk:

Frank Slade
06-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Wow, with Telfair forever Linked with the #7 pick this year.Ainge better pray that Portland continues thier track record of bad Picks

With names likes Aldridge, Roy, Morrison, O' Bryant all could possibly still be there at 7 , is Telfair really better than the aforementioned players ?

So Telfair will get you the #7 pick, but it takes an all-star like JO to move up to #1 or #2?

:tsk:

I can see 28 other GM's scrambling right now..
If Telfair = the 7th Pick :teacher:

Hmm...

PacerFan31
06-28-2006, 05:15 PM
so is Telfair gonna be West's backup? or vice versa?
does West move to the 2 spot?
and if so, that means either Wally or Pierce has to be on the move?

muy interesante.

I'd say Wally more likely, in the Iverson deal.

Actually I don't know if it would be in the Iverson deal, but it's probably Wally rather than Pierce.

ChicagoJ
06-28-2006, 05:18 PM
I can see 28 other GM's scrambling right now..
If Telfair = the 7th Pick :teacher:

Hmm...

That tells me that JO for the #1 or #2 has never been offered - Toronto and Chicago may have asked for JO, but those are utterly unreasonable bad trades for JO.

NaptownBound
06-28-2006, 05:20 PM
I'd say Wally more likely, in the Iverson deal.

Actually I don't know if it would be in the Iverson deal, but it's probably Wally rather than Pierce.

yeah, i would think it would be Wally.

but if it was Pierce though... Larry make it happen!!!

Shade
06-28-2006, 05:21 PM
Incredible trade for the Blazers.

Ainge is a moron. Telfair is, at best, a good back-up.

Suaveness
06-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Wow, Boston's retarded. I'm not complaining, however.

rexnom
06-28-2006, 05:23 PM
This is just step one. The Celtics must be making a play for someone big this summer. Certainly starting with AI.

BoomBaby31
06-28-2006, 05:28 PM
WTF??? Telfair must be wanting in Philly because talk about a rip off. We could of game them something more then Telfair. That is one of the wackiest trades I've heard about in a while. Why, would Boston trade their pick for someone like Telfair when there is so much decent talent in this draft?

Trader Joe
06-28-2006, 05:31 PM
LOL at the Celtics. We need to get Ainge to trade us Pierce for Jack.

rexnom
06-28-2006, 05:35 PM
Telfair isn't bad. He was taken at 17 when he was still pretty raw. I think he can develop into a dangerous player. Especially now that this has become a guard's league.

If he would have been given two years in college I think this is about the right spot for him.

owl
06-28-2006, 05:36 PM
How about the number 2 and number 16 and Ben Gordon for Kevin Garnett?
Probably need to give up Chandler also.

owl

bnd45
06-28-2006, 05:42 PM
Per WEEI in Boston: LaFrentz and Ratliff were also swapped in this deal. Gettting rid of Raef's contract makes this deal look a lot better for the C's.

Chauncey
06-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Telfair is going to have a monster year in Boston/Philly

Evan_The_Dude
06-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Gettting rid of Raef's contract makes this deal look a lot better for the C's.

Have you seen Ratliff's contract???

BoomBaby31
06-28-2006, 05:49 PM
How about the number 2 and number 16 and Ben Gordon for Kevin Garnett?
Probably need to give up Chandler also.

owl

I know it sounds crazy but that wouldn't be bad. Timberwolves need to do something. Gordon is good and at the 2 pick they can grab Tyrus Thomas which is been getting good raves. Chicago would be nice with Garnett on the staff.

Jermaniac
06-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Realgm Radio said that the deal might not be happening.

Trader Joe
06-28-2006, 05:51 PM
We won't really know for sure because the Celts still make the pick and then the rights would be traded.

bnd45
06-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Have you seen Ratliff's contract???

While Theo's deal is also outrageous, the panel on the Big Show were pumped up with the deal once they heard Raef was heading west. Addition by subtraction.

Chauncey
06-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Telfair/Ratliff/Jefferson/Green to Philly for Iverson and Dalembert would be my guess at the next step

purdue101
06-28-2006, 06:05 PM
ainge is a moron.

if the bobcats take gay or morrison at number 3 then either aldridge or roy is gonna fall to 7.