PDA

View Full Version : Pacers make qualifying offer to Fred jones

Unclebuck
06-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Just heard it on JMV.

All that does is make him a restricted free agent and Pacers can still match.

Conrad thinks someone who come in and offer Freddie more than the Pacers will be willing to pay based upon someone thinking Fred can be a starter

Kstat
06-28-2006, 03:43 PM
THere's a shocker.....

FSU-IU
06-28-2006, 04:00 PM
I just do not think Fred is a starter in this league....certainly not on a contender (which we are not, by the way).

FSU-IU

Evan_The_Dude
06-28-2006, 04:16 PM
He's a starter on a team like the Suns, or on a team that's planning to run a similar system.

317Kim
06-28-2006, 05:01 PM
Here's an article:
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/jones_qualifier_060628.html

INDIANAPOLIS, June 28, 2006 – The Indiana Pacers announced Wednesday that they have made a qualifying offer to restricted free agent guard Fred Jones.

Jones, a 6-2 guard who was the Pacers’ first-round pick (14th overall) in the 2002 NBA Draft, averaged 9.6 points per game last season in 68 games. In four seasons with the Pacers, Jones has averaged 7.6 ppg.

By making Jones a qualifying offer, the Pacers will have the right to match an offer sheet should Jones receive one when signings of free agents begin July 12.

:woot: :dance2:

CableKC
06-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Just heard it on JMV.

All that does is make him a restricted free agent and Pacers can still match.

Conrad thinks someone who come in and offer Freddie more than the Pacers will be willing to pay based upon someone thinking Fred can be a starter
Let's hope that someone thinks that Freddie can be a starter.....if Freddie can be had for a decent price...then I dont mind keeping him as a backup SG. But my preference is to S&T or let him walk so that we can ensure that Granger is...at least...the 6th Man on the roster.

BoomBaby31
06-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Fred is one of the most talented players I've seen that just can't blossom. It could be the Pacers just don't fit him. I think he could PONTENTIALLY be a star with another team that runs a more wide open offense and if he quits turning it over so much.

ChicagoJ
06-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Maybe its his lack of talent with his "off" hand. He's very predictable, and easy to scout and defend.

Thirtysomethin
06-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Maybe its his lack of talent with his "off" hand. He's very predictable, and easy to scout and defend.

Not to mention he is one of the worst passers i have ever seen,

He's gotta go

Roy Munson
06-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Not to mention he is one of the worst passers i have ever seen,

He's gotta go

Freddy is an excellent passer. But you won't have to worry or agonize about how you think he plays because he won't be a Pacer after he signs with another team this summer.

Bball
06-29-2006, 05:40 AM
Freddy is an excellent passer. But you won't have to worry or agonize about how you think he plays because he won't be a Pacer after he signs with another team this summer.

If passing with both feet off the ground makes you an excellent passer, then Freddie certainly is that. Especially if you have no idea what you are going to do with the ball before you leave your feet.

-Bball

Chauncey
06-29-2006, 06:49 AM
Career back-up. Nothing more, nothing less. Doesn't have a great deal of talent, but enough to help a team out in a bind.

beast23
06-29-2006, 06:58 AM
The Pacers just traded away next year's 2nd round pick as part of the James White package.

I think a qualifying offer to Freddie is a way of guaranteeing that we will get a 2nd round pick for 2007 back in return for not re-signing Freddie after someone makes an offer to him.

Next year's draft is supposed to be deep. If so, a 2nd round pick should return a decent player.