PDA

View Full Version : CNNSI.com's Ian Thomson Mock Draft (June 28)

Mourning
06-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Ok, I'll quote the part about the Pacers pick first:

"17 G Rajon Rondo Kentucky So. 6-2 185
Pacers could use a true uptempo point guard, though this pick may be packaged in a larger trade."

Here's the rest of the article:

"Changing fortunes
Trade talk, indecision fill air as NBA Draft nears
Posted: Wednesday June 28, 2006 2:44PM; Updated: Wednesday June 28, 2006 2:44PM

As the draft prepares to kickoff Wednesday night, here is what we know:

The Raptors are committed to taking Andrea Bargnani. The Bulls will go with either LaMarcus Aldridge or Tyrus Thomas, in spite of a pair of disappointing workouts. If the Bobcats stick with Adam Morrison at No. 3 then Rudy Gay could slide to the back of the lottery, unless a team trades up to catch him. Since the Celtics can't get Brandon Roy, they'll either trade the pick to Portland for Sebastian Telfair or swap picks with Seattle at No. 10. Philadelphia could also swap its No. 13 pick with Seattle.

Ian Thomsen's Mock NBA Draft -- Round 1
Pick Team Pos. Player School/
Country Class Ht. Wt.
1 F Andrea Bargnani Benetton Treviso (Italy) -- 6-10 240
Now that they've restocked their front line, will Raptors trade Charlie Villanueva for backcourt help?
2 F LaMarcus Aldridge Texas So. 6-11 235
Bulls may seek to complement this athletic big by making a free-agent run at Ben Wallace.
3 F Adam Morrison Gonzaga Jr. 6-8 200
The best scorer in the draft fills a need and gives Bobcats an instant star.
4 G Brandon Roy Washington Sr. 6-5 210
They want Morrison, but coach Nate McMillan will be happy with the leadership provided by this regional star.
5 F Shelden Williams Duke/td> Sr. 6-9 260
He's a solid big man ready to contribute to a team that needs to show sudden improvement; could drop out of lottery if Atlanta doesn't grab him.
6 F Tyrus Thomas LSU Fr. 6-8 220
T'wolves bypass Randy Foye in order to seize this rare opportunity to draft an athletic big man.
7 G Randy Foye Villanova Sr. 6-3 210
A reliable combo guard; though Celtics may trade pick to Portland for Sebastian Telfair, and the Blazers could use it to take Rudy Gay.
8 G Ronnie Brewer Arkansas Jr. 6-7 225
They are talking about a shooter but they go with Brewer for the defensive potential that Jeff Van Gundy covets.
9 F Rudy Gay Connecticu So. 6-8/td> 225
This year's slider gives Warriors a Shawn Marion-type athlete at small forward.
10 G Rodney Carney Memphis Sr. 6-6 205
Sonics will trade this pick; the guess here is that 76ers will move up to take this wing scorer for the post-Iverson era.
11 G J.J. Redick Duke Sr. 6-5 190
Magic would prefer Brewer here; NBA teams are more troubled by Redick's herniated disk than by his recent drunk-driving charge.
12 F/C Hilton Armstrong Connecticut Sr. 6-10 240
Dearth of big men enables him to go higher than expected.
13 F Cedric Simmons North Carolina State Jr. 6-10 225
If Sonics trade back here, this athletic power forward would serve as a backup plan if they can't re-sign Chris Wilcox.
14 F/C Saer Sene Pepinster (Belgium) -- 7-0 235
A good, long-term investment in a dynamic athlete who will need years to develop in the post.
15 F Shawne Williams Memphis Fr. 6-9 230
A versatile wing who can play their uptempo style.
16 F Thabo Sefolosha Biella (Italy) -- 6-6 215
Smooth-shooting guard gives Bulls size in the backcourt.
17 G Rajon Rondo Kentucky So. 6-2 185
Pacers could use a true uptempo point guard, though this pick may be packaged in a larger trade.
18 G Marcus Williams Connecticut Jr. 6-3 215
This sliding point guard will serve as Gilbert Arenas' backup.
19 G Sergio Rodriguez Adecco Estudiantes (Spain) -- 6-3 175
An innovative European point guard in the Kings' mode.
20 C Patrick O'Bryant Bradley So. 7-0 250
Plummeting center probably came out a year too early; Knicks snap him up for his potential.
21 G Jordan Farmar UCLA So. 6-2 170
A point guard to eventually take over for Steve Nash?
22 F Josh Boone Connecticut Jr. 6-10 220
If Nets don't move up, they'll try to get a big man with this pick.
23 G Kyle Lowry Villanova So. 6-0 175
A true point guard to serve as Jason Kidd's backup.
24 G Shannon Brown Michigan State Jr. 6-3 200
Grizzlies trying to move up, but Brown would give them instant scoring off the bench.
25 G Maurice Ager Michigan State Sr. 6-4 200
A solid backcourt scorer with experience to contribute next season.
26 F James White Cincinnati Sr. 6-7 200
Phil Jackson likes big guards, and White could handle point duties in the triangle.
27 F Joel Freeland Gran Canaria (Spain) -- 6-10 225
A typical Suns forward, he's skilled and can create mismatches.
28 C Oleksiy Pecherov Paris Basket Racing (France) -- 7-0 235
A foreign big man whose scoring skills could pay off down the line.
29 C Kevin Pittsnogle West Virginia Sr. 6-11 255
Surprisingly, Knicks eschew athleticism in favor of Pittsnogle's perimeter scoring.
30 F P.J. Tucker Texas Jr. 6-5 220
An aggressive wing player to push tempo with second unit."

The writer thinks we might trade our pick this time around.

link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/ian_thomsen/06/28/mock.draft.revised/index.html

Source: CNNSi.com

Added:

Here's a little more on Rondo. Just a tiny description:

"Rajon Rondo, 6-2, 185, Sophomore Guard, Kentucky
His fans love his end-to-end speed and his huge hands, while his detractors pound him for his bricklayer's shooting touch and his failure to make Kentucky teammates better. The verdict? Rondo has all the makings of a defensive stopper. If an NBA coach who loves ball pressure gets Rondo to play that way, he could fashion an NBA career."

link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/chris_ekstrand/06/26/guards/2.html

Is this the sort of player we want? I don't know about his college career, so I'm wondering ... is this statement above correct about Rondo not making his teammates better? IF true, then why would we want him as our PG? Ok, so he's fast and a good defender ... I want my PGs to be making their mates better first.

So, is the above describtion correct?

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

tadscout
06-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Ok, I'll quote the part about the Pacers pick first:

"17 G Rajon Rondo Kentucky So. 6-2 185
Pacers could use a true uptempo point guard, though this pick may be packaged in a larger trade."

Hmmm I wonder what the- "this pick may be packaged in a larger trade..." could be about... hmmm

Young
06-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Well the way Kentucky plays I don't know he can show that makes his teamates better.

Even if he doesn't he can still be a good point guard ala Mookie Blaylock. Rando isn't no Marcus Williams when it comes to passing but IMO Rando is defiantly the better defender.

Mourning
06-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Well the way Kentucky plays I don't know he can show that makes his teamates better.

Even if he doesn't he can still be a good point guard ala Mookie Blaylock. Rando isn't no Marcus Williams when it comes to passing but IMO Rando is defiantly the better defender.

I guess it then comes down to where your put your priority. Williams, ... I don't know much about the PG's in this years draft, but is he atleast a liitle decent defensively? Is he slow?

Edit:

From the same source here's what they write about Williams:

"2. Marcus Williams, 6-3, 215, Junior Guard, Connecticut
Williams is widely viewed as the best pure point guard in this draft. Despite not having the athletic profile of some of the other point guards, Williams has that rarely demonstrated prescience of seeing the play develop before it does, and delivering the ball to his teammates in exactly the right place at exactly the right time. His perimeter shot improved considerably his final season at Connecticut, and is now good enough to keep defenses honest."

They list him as the second guard after Roy. Rondo comes listed as the twelth guard.

Like someone else noted in that thread about Chad Fords latest mock draft he sounds a LOT like Tinsley. IF he's much less fragile I would like this pick a lot.

He does rais a lot of red flags like noted in that thread, but I think you have to take the chance.

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/chris_ekstrand/06/26/guards/index.html

Source: CNNSI.com

Regards,