PDA

View Full Version : So how will Detroit be adding youth to their team this year?

Leisure Suit Larry
06-27-2006, 05:04 PM
60th pick? That's a bummer.

Kstat
06-27-2006, 05:09 PM
60th pick? That's a bummer.

If this were any other draft, I'd agree. But let's be honest, the 30th pick in THIS draft is hardly worth losing sleep over.....

Frankly, we're better off letting someone else pay the guarenteed money for the 30th pick and save the cap room. We have enough trouble trying to find time for Maxiell and Amir Johnson. We have Orlando's pick next year anyway, in a much deeper draft.

I'm very, very excited to see what the young man Amir can do in the big leagues next season. He tore up the NBDL something crazy as an 18-year old, and played extremely well his only couple of NBA games. I'm hoping and praying FLip finds a way to get him into the rotation.

Skaut_Ech
06-27-2006, 07:50 PM
If this were any other draft, I'd agree. But let's be honest, the 30th pick in THIS draft is hardly worth losing sleep over.....

Frankly, we're better off letting someone else pay the guarenteed money for the 30th pick and save the cap room. We have enough trouble trying to find time for Maxiell and Amir Johnson. We have Orlando's pick next year anyway, in a much deeper draft.

I'm very, very excited to see what the young man Amir can do in the big leagues next season. He tore up the NBDL something crazy as an 18-year old, and played extremely well his only couple of NBA games. I'm hoping and praying FLip finds a way to get him into the rotation.

Amir? Maxiell's the guy I want to see get some PT. I really like the Piston's depth at 2,3 & 4. You better pray they don't wear out the usual guys trying to ride them all year long. You've got some younger guys who I think will surprise.

Kstat
06-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Amir? Maxiell's the guy I want to see get some PT. I really like the Piston's depth at 2,3 & 4. You better pray they don't wear out the usual guys trying to ride them all year long. You've got some younger guys who I think will surprise.

Maxiell has the potential to be a solid rotation player. He's fun to watch and works his *** off, but I don't think he'll ever be anything more than a solid contributor.

Amir, on the other hand, has the potential to be truly special. He's got gifts at the NBA level that so few players have. Size, speed, athelticism, shooting touch.....he's biggest hurdle is his handle. I can't believe he fell so far in last year's draft. I guess since he was by far the most raw player in the draft, nobody wanted to develop him.

I get the feeling that watching him in the NBDL last year was like being a baseball fan and watching your kid tear up the minor leagues, but knowing at the same time you'd have to wait to see him in the majors for more than 1-2 games.

Steve McQueen
06-27-2006, 08:39 PM
I've seen some of Johnson, not overly impressed with his game. The funny thing is, if he does end up worthwhile, Detroit will most likely lose him to free agency. So basically his time in Detroit will be his college development :laugh:

Kstat
06-27-2006, 08:48 PM
I've seen some of Johnson, not overly impressed with his game. The funny thing is, if he does end up worthwhile, Detroit will most likely lose him to free agency. So basically his time in Detroit will be his college development :laugh:

I don't know of any 18-year olds in 2005-2006 that could have done more to impress anyone last year, but ok. Fair enough.

As for free agency, Amir's a free agent right now. Joe's already said he's going to re-sign him to a longer-term deal this summer, so assuming he does your little theory just went down the toilet. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Steve McQueen
06-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Well for starters, he could've played in more than 3 games.

Kstat
06-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Well for starters, he could've played in more than 3 games.

It's called developing the youngest player in the 2005 draft.. He was sent down to the NBDL for all but 3 games last year.

In the opportunities he was given, he couldnt possibly have done more.

In Fayetville, he averaged 17 and 7 on a league-leading %67 from the floor. Considering he was the youngest player in the entire league, I'd say that's impressive.

The first game after we called him up, he went 6-6 from the floor for 18 points. He hit 2 threes, completed a near-impossible alley-oop, dunked the ball through joe smith's throat, hit a nice floater in the lane, and topped it off with a mid-range jumper off the dribble.

Again, he did the most with the opportunities he was given.

Chauncey
06-27-2006, 09:01 PM
If Johnson played for the Pacers, McQueen would have a giant stuffed pillow made to look like him to sleep with.

Kstat
06-27-2006, 09:05 PM
If Johnson played for the Pacers, McQueen would have a giant stuffed pillow made to look like him to sleep with.

:laugh:

Eindar
06-28-2006, 01:03 AM
"So how will Detroit be adding youth to their team this year?"

Well, they could start by calling Dominique Wilkins, Dikembe Mutombo, and Hakeem Olojuwon. I also hear Gary Payton's available :)