PDA

View Full Version : Latest ESPN Draft Rumors.

purdue101
06-27-2006, 12:52 PM
can someone please post. thanks in advance.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=katz_andy&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fname%3dkatz_andy

Unclebuck
06-27-2006, 12:56 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2501756&type=blogEntry

Latest draft buzz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW YORK -- The spin continues among the lottery teams Tuesday morning, but after sifting through the smoke, there are some new revelations that could certainly shake up one of the most unpredictable drafts in recent memory.
There are two players who didn't have any medical concerns among the proposed top seven: Connecticut's Rudy Gay and Italy's Andrea Bargnani. And, at least at this late stage, there is a chance -- albeit an outside one -- that they could be the top two players selected.

League sources confirmed to ESPN.com that Toronto is considering Gay at No. 1. This would certainly shock the draft, since Gay has been considered a lock to drop over the past few weeks.

Sources close to the situation said Gay worked out exceptionally well in Toronto, had a clean medical report, has the prototype NBA body for a small forward, is an "outstanding individual" and is considered a "safe pick.''

Gay was the projected No. 1 pick in the preseason, but the perception is that Gay had a down year for the Huskies. However, Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun told ESPN.com last week he disagrees with that perception, especially when one considers the fact that Gay scored 15.2 points per game to lead a team that was loaded with scorers at similar positions.

According to league sources early Tuesday morning, Gay is considered now to be a top-five pick, with the two likely destinations being Toronto at No. 1 and Charlotte at No. 3.

The perception that Toronto must trade down to draft Bargnani also is taking a hit. League sources said the Raptors are now worried that they couldn't get a guarantee that Bargnani would be available for them below No. 2. League sources told ESPN.com that Chicago is seriously considering taking Bargnani -- or at least is putting that out there -- so if the Raptors want Bargnani, they may have to take him at No. 1.

Historically, the No. 1 pick is extremely hard to move. The two notable times it did move were in 1993, when Orlando and Golden State swapped Chris Webber and Anfernee Hardaway, and the notorious 1980 deal involving Boston and Golden State, when the Celtics got Kevin McHale (the No. 3 pick) and the Warriors' Robert Parish for No. 1 overall pick Joe Barry Carroll.

Toronto isn't ruling out Texas sophomore LaMarcus Aldridge or Gonzaga's Adam Morrison, either. A decision could be made sometime late Tuesday.

League sources said the Bulls are considering a host of options at No. 2, with Bargnani among those at the top. Aldridge is also in the mix, along with LSU freshman Tyrus Thomas. There are other scenarios whereby the Bulls could move the pick, but league sources say Chicago also is listening to offers for Tyson Chandler (but not necessarily trying to push him out).

Meanwhile, Boston and Portland are talking about a deal that would send second-year point guard Sebastian Telfair to Boston for the No. 7 pick and injured point Dan Dickau (Achilles tendon).

The decision for general manager Danny Ainge is whether or not Telfair is a better fit for Boston over whomever the Celtics could land at No. 7. After Monday's workout, the top choice appears to be Villanova senior guard Randy Foye, but Foye could easily be gone at No. 6 to Minnesota. The Timberwolves were supposed to watch Foye on Monday in Boston but general manager McHale decided to go see England's Joel Freeland -- a possible Wolves second-round pick -- in a workout in Houston, instead.

Telfair, the controversial pick out of Lincoln High (N.Y.) who went at No. 13 in 2004, played in just 68 games last season because of an injured thumb. He started off the season well but never recovered his role after returning. Telfair is now behind Steve Blake and Jarrett Jack on the team's depth chart, making it obvious why the Blazers are willing to move him.

Still, Ainge is reviewing how Telfair performed prior to the injury to see if he fits in Boston. This trade, if it happens, might not occur until after the draft, once Boston sees who falls to No. 7.

Deals that are apparently dead, don't have life or never did include Houston and Atlanta swapping picks No. 5 and No. 8; Utah and Boston doing a Carlos Boozer trade that was a part of a larger package with Philadelphia, with Allen Iverson going to the Celtics; and Chicago shipping Chandler to Phoenix in a Shawn Marion deal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

purdue101
06-27-2006, 12:57 PM
thanks UB

Frank Slade
06-27-2006, 01:00 PM
One day before the draft, and still no certain 1 Pick, let alone the top 3 or 4. You get the feeling tomorrow evening will be full of surprises.

purdue101
06-27-2006, 01:01 PM
i think we are going to see quite a few trades and movement of picks.

Jermaniac
06-27-2006, 01:02 PM
If Boston get Pierce and Iverson together, 2 players who go for 35 as soon as they step on the court against the Pacers, I will be mad.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-27-2006, 01:05 PM
One day before the draft, and still no certain 1 Pick, let alone the top 3 or 4. You get the feeling tomorrow evening will be full of surprises.

I can't wait. If Boston trades the 7th and Dickau for Telfair they are retarded.

Jermaniac
06-27-2006, 01:07 PM
I can't wait. If Boston trades the 7th and Dickau for Telfair they are retarded.Very

Unclebuck
06-27-2006, 01:11 PM
This is from Monday

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2500961&type=blogEntry

Latest draft news

A few quick thoughts with the NBA draft three days away ...
• Chicago isn't going to trade for Phoenix's Shawn Marion and dump picks No. 2 and 16, according to a source close to the situation.

• Seattle might trade pick No. 10, but the Sonics aren't going to ship Danny Fortson for Marion in any deal.

• Another lottery scenario that is extremely plausible is LaMarcus Aldridge and Andrea Bargnani, in some order, going 1-2 to Toronto and Chicago, Charlotte taking Rudy Gay at No. 3, Adam Morrison going No. 4 to Portland, Shelden Williams No. 5 to Atlanta, Tyrus Thomas No. 6 to Minnesota and Brandon Roy to Boston at No. 7.

• Here's the gist on the Bobcats -- they can force either Gay or Roy to slide down to Boston or No. 8 Houston just by whom they select. Morrison is the one player who probably wouldn't get past Portland at No. 4. Chicago controls Thomas' destination because he's likely to go either No. 2 or No. 6.

Final nugget
• We have reported and written a few times that the men's basketball committee isn't expecting to move on the request to look at expanding the NCAA Tournament. The committee meets Monday through Wednesday in Orlando and the concept is on the agenda, but movement on it is unlikely.

Trader Joe
06-27-2006, 01:15 PM
I can't wait. If Boston trades the 7th and Dickau for Telfair they are retarded.

QFT. That would be a great deal for PORT. They could take Marcus Williams quite possibly who is better than Telfair or they could trade the 7th pick for some real value.

CableKC
06-27-2006, 01:17 PM
I think the reason why there is uncertainty about the #1 pick is because its becoming clear to me that if the Raptors don't get the type of deal that they want by trading down two or three spots...and therefore getting back a a decent player on top of drafting Barganini ( who should be available by the 4th/5th pick )..........they will keep the pick and go with Aldridge ( the safer bet ).

Leisure Suit Larry
06-27-2006, 01:23 PM
QFT. That would be a great deal for PORT. They could take Marcus Williams quite possibly who is better than Telfair or they could trade the 7th pick for some real value.

Yes that is why I said Boston would be retarded to do it.

Frank Slade
06-27-2006, 01:23 PM
I will say this much, with Gay apparently on the rise and Shelden rumored to be guaranteed at 5 by Atl.

You then still have Morrsion, Bargnani, Thomas, and Aldrige who all could possibly go before Roy. Now provided Charlotte passes on Roy at 3, he could slip a few spots down to 8th with Houston.

If you're Indiana you trade your 17th pick and whatever else it takes within reason for their 8th. Plus they have the 32nd pick overall.

Anthem
06-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Interesting... Brandon Roy is dropping. For a while it looked like he'd be taken before #6.

Go get the TWolves pick, Larry!

blanket
06-27-2006, 01:36 PM
I will say this much, with Gay apparently on the rise and Shelden rumored to be guaranteed at 5 by Atl.

You then still have Morrsion, Bargnani, Thomas, and Aldrige who all could possibly go before Roy. Now provided Charlotte passes on Roy at 3, he could slip a few spots down to 8th with Houston.

If you're Indiana you trade your 17th pick and whatever else it takes within reason for their 8th. Plus they have the 32nd pick overall.

Except that Roy is at the top of the Rockets' board, so if he falls to them it's very unlikely they'd trade him.

Mourning
06-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Except that Roy is at the top of the Rockets' board, so if he falls to them it's very unlikely they'd trade him.

That's why Anthem is correct in trying not to get Boston's, but Minnesota's pick, which is a little higher, which also makes it more costly to acquire though. I wonder would Roy be worth the sacrifice? And what would be a fair deal for both sides?

Offcourse, pick #17 would go to them, but that's just where it starts. What more do they need specifically?

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

purdue101
06-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Interesting... Brandon Roy is dropping. For a while it looked like he'd be taken before #6.

Go get the TWolves pick, Larry!

gay's stock is high right now, which means roy or morrison will be dropping to the 6-9 range. if gay goes top 3 and ATL take sheldon williams, all hell will break loose after the 5th pick.

Trader Joe
06-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Tinsley+17+45th pick for Jaric and the number 6 should get it done. Roy is a STEAL at 6 and absolute steal. Or we could go really all out and try to get Ricky Davis since there was already the Tins for Davis rumor so TIns+17+45 for Davis+6 or we could expand it to, Tins+Jack+17+45 for Davis+Jaric+6.

Robertmto
06-27-2006, 04:30 PM
ugh...just draft Morrison number 1 and make everybody go crazy.

Kaufman
06-27-2006, 06:18 PM
Hi guys, I've been monitoring the board a bit the last few days, been on the phone with a few teams regarding my player and what not.

I just want to put my prediction out there, I feel pretty strong about it. Its not a whole lot of information, but I'm going to say this, I know of 3 players that the Pacers are keying in on. I think that 2 of them are top 10 picks, the third one is a 10-15 type pick, in my opinion (not that of any news service or sports related website, just my opinion based on being a professional involved in college basketball).

So my educated prediction based on ***some*** non-biased evidence and information is that if one of those top 10 players I am talking about is available at the 9th spot, you will see us trade for the 9th pick. I don't know what will be involved in the pick, I don't know I don't know.

I am not optimistic that this trade would happen, based on the conservative track record of this team. But I am confident that talk has happened to set up the Pacers for that pick if their player was there.

Enjoy.

I'll also throw out that the three players I know of are all guards. That's not to say that there aren't other people out there that I don't know that the Pacers are interested in, I just happen to know about three guards.

Frank Slade
06-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Thanks Kaufman for sharing what you can, as always it's appreciated.

Well one of them has to be Brandon Roy, you don't have to say it, just smile and nod. :innocent:

I will be so relieved when tomorrow is over regardless.

blanket
06-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Hi guys, I've been monitoring the board a bit the last few days, been on the phone with a few teams regarding my player and what not.

I just want to put my prediction out there, I feel pretty strong about it. Its not a whole lot of information, but I'm going to say this, I know of 3 players that the Pacers are keying in on. I think that 2 of them are top 10 picks, the third one is a 10-15 type pick, in my opinion (not that of any news service or sports related website, just my opinion based on being a professional involved in college basketball).

So my educated prediction based on ***some*** non-biased evidence and information is that if one of those top 10 players I am talking about is available at the 9th spot, you will see us trade for the 9th pick. I don't know what will be involved in the pick, I don't know I don't know.

I am not optimistic that this trade would happen, based on the conservative track record of this team. But I am confident that talk has happened to set up the Pacers for that pick if their player was there.

Enjoy.

I'll also throw out that the three players I know of are all guards. That's not to say that there aren't other people out there that I don't know that the Pacers are interested in, I just happen to know about three guards.

Thanks for the update.

OK, the 9th pick belongs to GS, so the Mullin connection makes sense. I just read that Patrick O'Bryant worked out for Mully today, although I expect him to drop past them.

As for those 3 guards the Pacers are interested in, you say 2 are top-10 talents while the 3rd is top 10-15. So let's make a list of names, just for our amusement:

Top 10 guards:
- Roy
- Foye
-Marcus Williams

Top 10-15 guards
- Brewer
- Carney
- Redick

You might have a few of them ranked a little differently, but that should be the group of players we're talking about (I assume Sefolosha isn't rated quite that high).

I don't think Roy or (most likely) Foye will be there at 9, but Williams might. I think the other 3 will, so if the Pacers consider a player like Brewer to be a top-10 talent, then a trade for #9 to get Williams or Brewer might be on the horizon.

Other thoughts?

rel
06-27-2006, 06:35 PM
man...i'd love to get Carney back home

in a blog he did for nba.com, he said that he'd love to come back to indy and play for the pacers

Steve McQueen
06-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Yep, I just read that. Here's the link: http://www.nba.com/draft2006/carney_blog06.html

As for myself, it would be cool and certainly a perfect ending to my collegiate career if I end up being drafted by the Indiana Pacers (with the No. 17 pick). I think I’ll be picked higher than 17 though, but it would be special to go to Indiana and have the chance to lift the hometown crowd to their feet with my game. If that didn’t work out, though, I would love to be teammates with Steve Nash. He has the ability to raise any player’s status who is on the court with him.

Time will tell though.

Is it Wednesday yet?

You know, with all of Larry Bird's talk to Indianapolis media that the player is "well known" to them, anyone ever consider he's talking about Indy native Rodney Carney?

This is from RealGM, it's a summary someone posted of a Chad Ford tidbit posted a little earlier today.

What Top-10 Teams Ae Thinking

Celtics: If Boston keeps the pick, Randy Foye is the heavy favorite. Followed bY Cedric Simmons and Rajon Rondo. Dont expect Marcus Williams to go to Boston, at least at #7. Maybe even Shelden Williams if the Hawks falls through with Williams and/or the HOU trade.

Celtics are one of the most busy teams in the league right now.

Blazers and Celtics have discussed a trade that would send Sebastian Telfair to Boston for Dan Dickau and the No. 7 pick. Blazrs waiting on Dickau's medical concerns to clear up and woudl look at Roy/Gay/Foye is they got #7.

Boston in talks Orlando Magic, the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets, the Phoenix Suns and the New Jersey Nets, as all trying to move up. As the the UTA/PHI/BOS rumors, they wont die while the CHI/BOS trade with Duhon is not going to happen.

Warriors: Rumor: Tyson Chandler and the No. 16 pick to Golden State for Troy Murphy, Mickael Pietrus and the No. 9 pick. Again, rumor but probably no legs. GS doesnt really LIKE anyone and can use the #9 to get out of Murphy's contract.

Raptors: Rumors: Andrea Bargnani is going No. 1. LaMarcus Aldridge is a possibility and some are mentioning Adam Morrison and Rudy Gay as possibilities as well. My Personal Note: ESPNews report, forgot who, said its between Rudy Gay and Andrea Bargnani.

Toronto still finds a way to trade down. Charlotte might be offering Brevin Knight to move up to No. 1, and the Blazers might give up Travis Outlaw.

Bargnani coudl slide if Toronto keeps the pick and doesnt take him.

Bulls: Tyrus Thomas still favorite with the No. 2 pick.

Barnani is an option though maybe a smokescreen so TOR doesnt trade back and many believe Aldridge is best fit.

And like Bargnani with Toronto, if the Bulls dont take Tyrus Thomas, he could easily slide to #7 at Boston or #8 at Houston if the Bulls keep the pick and dont take him.

Bobcats: Its between Adam Morrison, Rudy Gay and Brandon Roy. Morrison the favorite, but dont discount Roy.

Moving the pick? Philadelphia has been trying to move up to the top five, as have the Memphis Grizzlies and Seattle SuperSonics. Michael Jordan said that he's going to urge owner Bob Johnson to spend, and the team has tons of salary cap room, so in theory the Bobcats would be willing to take on a big contract.

Hawks: The HOU/ATL deal is still there but there is fear that both Boston and Minny have Williams high on their boards as well. Two possibilities here...

One is that the Wolves and Celtics don't want the Hawks-Rockets trade to happen and are bluffing. They want the Hawks to just draft Williams themselves, because what they really want is to see Roy slip to them. The other is both like him. Who knows?

Timberwolves: Foye is the guy here if Thomas and Aldridge both are already off the board. Yet there is a lot of trade talk going on...

Rockets: They want Roy but dont know if they can sit pack and wait for him to fall or need to move up to #5 with Atlanta to get him. And there is speculation that Roy's ankle and knee arent exactly, great. And could he slip because of this?

SuperSonics: Sonics want to trade down. The trade with PHX involving Marion and Lewis isnt dead but both teams deny it and its unlikely. Maybe the Suns would send the No. 20 and No. 27 picks for the No. 10 pick and take the best big man available among Cedric Simmons, Hilton Armstrong and Mouhamed Saer Sene. Athletic swingmen Ronnie Brewer and Rodney Carney also would be options.

blanket
06-27-2006, 06:58 PM
Warriors: Rumor: Tyson Chandler and the No. 16 pick to Golden State for Troy Murphy, Mickael Pietrus and the No. 9 pick. Again, rumor but probably no legs. GS doesnt really LIKE anyone and can use the #9 to get out of Murphy's contract.

If the W's want to get out from under Murphy's contract and are willing to give up #9 to do it, maybe there's a Murphy/9 for Croshere/17 kind of trade brewing...

EDIT: to add to that line of thinking, DraftExpress updated its mock draft this afternoon and changed the Warriors' pick from O'Bryant to RONNIE BREWER. Maybe they're interested in him, or maybe it's based on rumors of the Pacers considering a trade for him at 9.

CableKC
06-27-2006, 06:59 PM
I'm thinking that its either Brewer, Carney, Foye or MWilliams.

blanket
06-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Most of what I've read suggests Carney needs to be in an uptempo offense like Dallas and Phoenix to be effective. Unless Bird/Carlisle are drastically changing the way this team plays, I wonder if Carney might be a bad fit.

Unclebuck
06-27-2006, 08:17 PM
This is the only time of the year that I wished I had watched college basketball. I'm totally lost as to who is who. You have Roy, Gay, Foye, Brewer, and if they all walked into my room I would not recognize any of them.

Steve McQueen
06-27-2006, 08:23 PM
http://nbadraft.net/profiles/headshots/brandon-roy-hd.jpghttp://nbadraft.net/profiles/headshots/rudy-gay-hd.jpghttp://nbadraft.net/profiles/headshots/randy-foye-hd.jpghttp://nbadraft.net/profiles/headshots/ronnie-brewer-hd.jpg

There ya go, in order :)

Trader Joe
06-27-2006, 08:28 PM
*CROSSES FINGERS* OH PLEASE BRANDON ROY OH PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE

bulldog
06-27-2006, 08:32 PM
We've switched over to Pacers talk, and rightfully so, but I'd just like to mention I think the Gay #1 thing is a bluff. Raptors want to see if someone likes Gay enough to agree to a swap of picks so they can take Barganini later and pick up someone else in the trade. Although I'm surprised they didn't do that with Aldridge, seems like there'd be more interest. Maybe they have Charlotte specifically in mind? Knight seems like a good fit on the Raptors if James is out.

Anthem
06-27-2006, 08:33 PM
*CROSSES FINGERS* OH PLEASE BRANDON ROY OH PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE
At #17? No way. Only way we get Roy is if we trade up.

Trader Joe
06-27-2006, 08:39 PM
At #17? No way. Only way we get Roy is if we trade up.

I thought that was understood by the context of the thread?

Kegboy
06-27-2006, 08:51 PM
FYI, I've been meaning to post this, and this is as good a place as any.

Reggie was on Dan Patrick yesterday, and was asked who would be the best player from this draft in 5 years. He said Roy. :.01cents:

Will Galen
06-27-2006, 10:20 PM
If the W's want to get out from under Murphy's contract and are willing to give up #9 to do it, maybe there's a Murphy/9 for Croshere/17 kind of trade brewing...

EDIT: to add to that line of thinking, DraftExpress updated its mock draft this afternoon and changed the Warriors' pick from O'Bryant to RONNIE BREWER. Maybe they're interested in him, or maybe it's based on rumors of the Pacers considering a trade for him at 9.

I looked hard at this trade proposal and I don't see it for several reasons. Where would Murphy play? He's a power forward so he would back up JO. We would be better off keeping Cro. Murphy averages 14 and 10 in 35 minutes. Give Cro that amount of time and he could do that. So what it would be like is giving Cro a five year extension on his present contract. Anybody want that?

Bball
06-27-2006, 10:32 PM
FYI, I've been meaning to post this, and this is as good a place as any.

Reggie was on Dan Patrick yesterday, and was asked who would be the best player from this draft in 5 years. He said Roy. :.01cents:

And just what does Reggie know? Isn't he the one that predicted chemistry problems for the Pacers this past season? Oh wait...

Nevermind

-Bball