PDA

View Full Version : Lebron's endorsement contract incentives

Chauncey
06-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Not sure if you guys had noticed this, but earlier this week the Cleveland Plain-Dealer came out and verified that many of Lebron's endorsement contracts have escalators, including Nike's basically doubling what they pay him should he play in LA, Chicago, or NY.

This was widely rumored before, but had been squashed to some extent by an article by the same newspaper, though confirmed this week. The longer it goes (after July 1, when he can sign it) without him signing his extension, the crazier things are going to get for them:

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1151235038156980.xml&coll=2&thispage=1

Shade
06-26-2006, 05:36 PM
I saw that yesterday. But does anyone really believe this will persuade LeBron to leave Cleveland?

Chauncey
06-26-2006, 05:43 PM
I saw that yesterday. But does anyone really believe this will persuade LeBron to leave Cleveland?

I'm guessing if he doesn't sign it this Summer, it all comes down to how well they do this year and what the team puts around him.

Otherwise it looks like there are going to be several hundred million reasons for him to take an MLE with LA/NY/Chicago when you add up the language in his current endorsements plus the added (and painful for the rest of us) attention he'd be getting--resulting in even more endorsements.

Shade
06-26-2006, 05:46 PM
I'm guessing if he doesn't sign it this Summer, it all comes down to how well they do this year and what the team puts around him.

Otherwise it looks like there are going to be several hundred million reasons for him to take an MLE with LA/NY/Chicago when you add up the language in his current endorsements plus the added (and painful for the rest of us) attention he'd be getting--resulting in even more endorsements.

Better have Kobe begin the campaigning now. ;)

If he goes to the Bulls, I'm going to :puke:.

Steve McQueen
06-26-2006, 05:49 PM
There has to be a rule against this made in the near future. This is basically cheating the CBA.

If nothing changes in it, I could easily see LeBron selling out his hick fans in Cleveland and going somewhere like New York.

He wont go to LA. Nobody wants to plkay with the selfish, egotistical, prima donna Kobe.

Chauncey
06-26-2006, 05:55 PM
There has to be a rule against this made in the near future. This is basically cheating the CBA.

If nothing changes in it, I could easily see LeBron selling out his hick fans in Cleveland and going somewhere like New York.

Agreed on both accounts. I can't fault Lebron if he does because hundreds of millions of dollars is..well....hundreds of millions of dollars--but the league ahs to address this in the next CBA. I hate the idea that the league should have to be a nanny-state for endorsement contracts, but thats a little overboard. Now if a guy wants to take a paycut to play for a contender or play in a market that he thinks will boost his endorsements, then by all means..but for companies to write in incentives for them to do such a thing crosses the line, I think.

As for your third account (unquoted), I'm using it to verify that you are indeed Naptown Seth as others have previously suggested.

Shade
06-26-2006, 05:55 PM

I agree, and I'm really surprised this is being allowed. If LBJ leaves, I could see the NBA attempting to fight the deal.

3Ball
06-26-2006, 06:22 PM
I agree, and I'm really surprised this is being allowed. If LBJ leaves, I could see the NBA attempting to fight the deal.

On what possible grounds? Players have every right to go play for any team they'd rather play for, and the NBA has no control over their outside contracts. And why would Stern & co. work hard to keep LBJ in Ohio when he could be playing in NY/LA/Chic? If I were him, I would definitely NOT sign any extension. Why sign away the next 7 years of your life when everyone knows he will get maximum money under whatEVER situation he finds himself in.

Will Galen
06-26-2006, 06:56 PM

AMEN!

I read this yesterday and it ticked me off. Just something else a company (Nike) has did to make money even though it's not fair. My thought was basketball lovers outside of the big cities ought to boycott Nike.

rabid
06-26-2006, 07:14 PM
If the NBA wanted to address this, the next CBA could be changed to invalidate contracts with players who allow such wording in their endorsements.

You can argue about players' financial rights as much as you want, but giving huge endorsement incentives (especially when the incentives are worth several times' the actual amount of a player's contract) for superstars to play in LA, Chicago and NY is just plain bad for the league, period. Over time you'll completely destroy parity in the league and make things like the salary cap and luxury tax pointless.

Shade
06-26-2006, 07:35 PM
If the NBA wanted to address this, the next CBA could be changed to invalidate contracts with players who allow such wording in their endorsements.

You can argue about players' financial rights as much as you want, but giving huge endorsement incentives (especially when the incentives are worth several times' the actual amount of a player's contract) for superstars to play in LA, Chicago and NY is just plain bad for the league, period. Over time you'll completely destroy parity in the league and make things like the salary cap and luxury tax pointless.

Yeah. What he said. :iagree:

Kegboy
06-26-2006, 10:23 PM

Well, at least he'd have to change his number. :D

grace
06-27-2006, 12:50 PM

You have to eat something first.

Tim
06-28-2006, 06:55 PM

There is absolutly NOTHING the league can do to control this. There is no way the Union will agree to any cap effecting endorsement money. Why should they? It isn't NBA money.

Chauncey
07-06-2006, 10:52 AM
The longer it goes (after July 1, when he can sign it) without him signing his extension, the crazier things are going to get for them:

Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick.

And so the saga has begun. Today the Plain-Dealer has a story about Lebron's agent avoiding the media.

<H1 class=red>Draft picks on Cavaliers summer team

</H1>

Thursday, July 06, 2006 Branson Wright

Plain Dealer Reporter
The waiting game continues for LeBron James, but it is business as usual for the Cavaliers.

The Cavs will participate in the Las Vegas Summer League and will begin play Friday. The league ends July 15 and the Cavs will play five games.

James, meanwhile, has not made a verbal agreement to sign a five-year extension worth about $80 million with the Cavs. The offer was made shortly after midnight Saturday. James' agent, Leon Rose, has not returned telephone calls

Los Angeles
07-06-2006, 01:09 PM
As far as marketing areas go, there are two teams in LA and two in New York.

So that's five teams.

xphoenix
07-06-2006, 02:21 PM
If I were Lebron it would take me all but about two seconds to go to the Knicks. He'll be the biggest thing since King Kong!

New York and MSG are the "Meca" of basketball.. according to Jordan and Reggie. There is so much to be accomplished there too.. no championships in 30+ years.

It would give me a reason to hate the Knicks again... but also give me a reason to watch them (pathetic as of late).

KING JAMES TO THE BIG APPLE!

PR07
07-06-2006, 03:11 PM
He is from Ohio...it's not like he's playing in a state that has no meaning to him.

Chauncey
07-06-2006, 03:17 PM
He is from Ohio...it's not like he's playing in a state that has no meaning to him.

99/100 its about the money. We're talking about several hundred millions of dollars here. It would be a monumental statement from him if he does re-up with the Cavs.

PR07
07-06-2006, 03:28 PM
I think it would be pretty classless for LeBron just to leave because of the money around him and give him a bad rep like Boozer's, and it would make the NBA start to look like the MLB where big market teams (NY, Boston, LA) have a totally unfair advantage compared to small-market teams. If Lebron leaves because of endorsements, it would be a sad day for the NBA.

Anthem
07-06-2006, 03:33 PM
If Lebron leaves because of endorsements, it would be a sad day for the NBA.
I guarantee Stern would be excited.

rabid
07-06-2006, 06:36 PM
There is absolutly NOTHING the league can do to control this. There is no way the Union will agree to any cap effecting endorsement money. Why should they? It isn't NBA money.

I beg to differ. I never said it was likely to happen, but I think it's quite reasonable for the league to try to prevent players from getting 20, 30, 40 million dollars or whatever from outside sources in order to play in this city or that city.

It's not about controlling endorsement money. It's about the league, players, owners and GMs being able to dictate who plays where, instead of Nike, Adidas, Hanes underwear or whomever.

Look. If you start allowing companies to offer bonuses to players to play in big markets - bonuses that are even bigger than the salaries of the players involved - then over time, the susperstars will all end up playing in big markets only.

I think even the player's union would agree that this is bad for the league and in fact is bad for most players in general (other than the Kobes, Shaqs, Lebrons and Wades). If I'm an average NBA player who isn't offered one of these location-based contracts, and my team is worse off because it can no longer attract the top free agents etc., I'm going to be pissed.

I truly believe this could be a major, major problem in a few years if these contracts actually do exist. It could have a serious affect on parity in the league, and I don't think the union or the league would like that one bit.

ChicagoJ
07-06-2006, 06:55 PM
C'mon... this type of situation is only going to happen for a player of LBJ's "status."

What I think is crazy is that Nike, et. al. seem to think it matters which city LBJ plays in. That might've been true pre-Jordan, but he and NBC (and ESPN) pretty much put every NBA team/ city on the global endorsement map.

Its not like its the 1980s/ CBS-era NBA where there were two classes of teams: Boston, Philly, and LA (and later, Detroit) getting all the national exposure while 19 other teams flounder around in obscurity.

Chauncey
07-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Anyone hear SAS?:

This from a Cleveland board......

Steven A. Smith reported that Lebron put the word out through his agent that he will not re-sign with the Cavaliers until he sees improvement.

ChicagoJ
07-06-2006, 07:25 PM
As for your third account (unquoted), I'm using it to verify that you are indeed Naptown Seth as others have previously suggested.

IP's don't match. :shrug: