PDA

View Full Version : WTF? Stern to open mystery black box on draft night (Merged: New NBA basketball)

Chauncey
06-26-2006, 05:07 PM
http://www.nba.com/news/blackbox_060628.html

On June 28, NBA Commissioner David Stern will introduce the NBA's newest employees, as he announces the Class of 2006. Before that, however, he will unveil the contents of the black box below -- sure to change the way you see the game. Check back Wednesday at 11:30 a.m. ET to see what's in the black box.

Nevermind, its the new basketball..forgot

Hicks
06-26-2006, 05:18 PM
That's the second reference to the "new basketball" the NBA is going to be using. What the hell?

Chauncey
06-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Hicks, if I told you, I'd have to kill you. LOL

I first saw something referencing a new ball about a month ago and its in the recap of someone's workout that was posted this morning as well. I think it was Orlando that made a group of PGs (Williams, Foye, not sure who else) use the new balls yesterday.

So I'm assuming thats what's in the box, given its shape. It would be extra cool if the ball had a camera in it, which has been rumored as a possiblity in years past as a way to add something to the television coverage.

Shade
06-26-2006, 05:22 PM
Hmm...very interesting. Any chance it will be a color(s) other than orange? If not, this seems like a pretty lame PR stunt to me.

I can already see the "ball cam" in action. :disturbed

Hicks
06-26-2006, 05:23 PM
A camera in the ball? You'd only get still shots out of it worth watching IMO. I'm hoping they're adding color.

tadscout
06-26-2006, 05:31 PM
A camera in the ball? You'd only get still shots out of it worth watching IMO. I'm hoping they're adding color.

:iagree:

Chauncey
06-26-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm guessing it will look like the ABA ball...I don't see why it would be a big deal unless it was a complete different color, didn't have channels or had a camera in it or something.

Shade
06-26-2006, 05:35 PM
I'm guessing it will look like the ABA ball...I don't see why it would be a big deal unless it was a complete different color, didn't have channels or had a camera in it or something.

I would love a black-and-red ball. But that's because those are my favorite colors. :shrug:

Chauncey
06-26-2006, 05:36 PM
I would love a black-and-red ball. But that's because those are my favorite colors. :shrug:

Who wants to be the first to accuse Shade of jumping on and off of the Bulls bandwagon? :P

CableKC
06-26-2006, 05:36 PM
WTH?

blanket
06-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Hicks, if I told you, I'd have to kill you. LOL

I first saw something referencing a new ball about a month ago and its in the recap of someone's workout that was posted this morning as well. I think it was Orlando that made a group of PGs (Williams, Foye, not sure who else) use the new balls yesterday.

So I'm assuming thats what's in the box, given its shape. It would be extra cool if the ball had a camera in it, which has been rumored as a possiblity in years past as a way to add something to the television coverage.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1374

The Celtics had two workouts conducted this morning and 7 total players in.

The early morning session had Marcus Williams, Cedric Simmons, Nik Caner-Medley and Wes Wilkinson, while the 2nd workout featured Rajon Rondo, Randy Foye, and Cedric Simmons and Caner-Medley working out for a 2nd time.

The Celtics decided to roll out the new balls the NBA will start using next year, which threw off the shooting of most of the players at the workout. Rajon Rondo might have had the best workout of all the players, as he “shot the ball solid in drills, got to the basket at will, showed off his athleticism, and was extremely aggressive throughout.” Rondo did not really attempt any jumpshots in the competitive portion, though. Marcus Williams did not shoot the ball as well as he normally does in these settings, but showed good decision making skills in the many competitive drills that the Celtics ran for them. The Celtics scraped many of their standard drills and instead tried to simulate many game-type settings for the players, doing more 2 on 2 and 1 on 1 than they usually do, but with odd twists.

Kevin McHale was reportedly in attendance, presumably to get one last look in at Randy Foye.

Trader Joe
06-26-2006, 05:39 PM
This is LAME AS HELL.

Chauncey
06-26-2006, 05:41 PM
TY Blanket, I knew I had seen that somewhere this morning.

Shade
06-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Who wants to be the first to accuse Shade of jumping on and off of the Bulls bandwagon? :P

Actually, it would be in homage to Michael Jordan and Dwayne Wade. ;)

SoupIsGood
06-26-2006, 05:47 PM
I thought they were just changing the material it was made of? Or something.

aceace
06-26-2006, 05:47 PM
So whats it look like, any clues?

Slick Pinkham
06-26-2006, 05:50 PM
The new ball is square (well, in 3-D, more like a cube).

Stern wants to cut down on all the dribble penetration.

Shade
06-26-2006, 05:52 PM
The new ball is square (well, in 3-D, more like a cube).

Stern wants to cut down on all the dribble penetration.

Maybe it's a football. :shrug:

Trader Joe
06-26-2006, 05:52 PM
I thought it was just gonna be a darker orange with a composite covering or whatever. I think it is supposed to separate really great shooters from ok shooters as well as help out good ball handlers cause it is stickier.

Shade
06-26-2006, 05:53 PM
I thought it was just gonna be a darker orange with a composite covering or whatever. I think it is supposed to separate really great shooters from ok shooters as well as help out good ball handlers cause it is stickier.

If that's true, this is uber-lame. :thumbsdow

Like players need more help palming the ball. :rolleyes:

SoupIsGood
06-26-2006, 05:55 PM

Yeah, this is what I thought......

Chauncey
06-26-2006, 05:56 PM
Could be..who knows at this point. But the quote on the nba.com site says specifically: "sure to change the way you see the game"

That's why I think there's a camera in it.

Trader Joe
06-26-2006, 06:02 PM
Could be..who knows at this point. But the quote on the nba.com site says specifically: "sure to change the way you see the game"

Or it could just be a lame way to boost ratings on the draft and help guys like Wade and Bron dominate even more.

Shade
06-26-2006, 06:03 PM
Or it could just be a lame way to boost ratings on the draft and help guys like Wade and Bron dominate even more.

I'm going with this one, sadly.

Slick Pinkham
06-26-2006, 06:11 PM

ABA fans know how much most basketballs rotate in the air (the old red-white-blue spinner)

A movie camera would be worthless.

And still photos would be pointless, I think.

rel
06-26-2006, 06:15 PM

i dont see how the camera in the ball would even be functional...

Bball
06-26-2006, 06:16 PM
We need an engineering type to tell us whether you could put a camera in a ball and not affect its trajectory when shot or bounced (dribbled). I'm thinking it would be impossible to do on several counts.

How about each team gets its home colors on the balls for an extra little bit of home court advantage?

Oh wait.... How 'bout we leave things alone?

-Bball

Anthem
06-26-2006, 06:26 PM
You guys obviously haven't played with many gyroscopes... :D

Stryder
06-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Yup, anthem brings up the gyroscope....hehe....good job...

The only plausible thing I see is the colors of the ball are changing, even though, it did say above that the new balls threw off the shooting of some of the Celtics' players....very strange...i don't think color is going to screw with your shooting ability...

Anything other than a color change is too gimmicky for my tastes...

indygeezer
06-26-2006, 06:48 PM
You guys obviously haven't played with many gyroscopes... :D

are they suspended in mid air? Because any way that anything touches the inside of the ball is going to balance to the touch point thus overweighting to that point IMHO.

But who knows...I'm an ex-microbiologist now.

FrenchConnection
06-26-2006, 06:48 PM
It has to be some kind of camera. The quote on the website is "sure to change the way youo see the game." That would indicate that it is some kind of camera.

Bball
06-26-2006, 07:02 PM
Maybe flames come off the ball after a player hits 2-3 in a row and the announcer says "He's heating up!!!"

-Bball
Boom Shaka Laka...

Chauncey
06-26-2006, 07:10 PM
Maybe flames come off the ball after a player hits 2-3 in a row and the announcer says "He's heating up!!!"

-Bball
Boom Shaka Laka...

LMFAO

Kstat
06-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Maybe it's a ball compatable with 3-D glasses....

You'll feel close to the action, you'll think you were the one called for fouling Dwayne Wade....

Jermaniac
06-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Its going to be a regular ball with Jermaine O'Neal #7 across it and that will be the regulation basketball across the United States.

Kstat
06-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Its going to be a regular ball with Jermaine O'Neal #7 across it and that will be the regulation basketball across the United States.

...and it'll cost $120 million at your local K-Mart.

Jermaniac
06-26-2006, 07:23 PM
As it should, anything that good comes with a big price.

D-BONE
06-26-2006, 07:23 PM
Upon seeing the thread title, I immediately conjured up an image of Dictator Stern pulling Mark Cuban's severed head from the box and proclaiming "That'll teach you to f*&k w/ me!".

Of course, having investigated the thread, the ball thing is much better.

Anthem
06-26-2006, 07:25 PM
...and it'll cost $120 million at your local K-Mart.
Actually, K-Mart has historically rejected Jermaine at any price.

Shade
06-26-2006, 07:26 PM
You'll feel close to the action, you'll think you were the one called for fouling Dwayne Wade....

If some of those "fouls" they called are actually considered legit, then I probably did foul him. :shrug:

Bball
06-26-2006, 07:31 PM

Pretty proud of that one aren't you?

And rightfully so...
LMAO...

-Bball

rel
06-26-2006, 07:53 PM
well, here are some pics from sportslogos.net forums
http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=38252

http://www.nba.com/media/blackbox_closed_060626.jpg
the black box i assume...

and...maybe this is the new ball, i have no clue though
http://www.hoopsworld.com/news/uploads/newball.jpg

...and i dont remember this being used during the allstar game...
http://www.nba.com/media/allstar2006/TmacSecond400.jpg

sweabs
06-26-2006, 07:55 PM

-Bball
Boom Shaka Laka...

:laugh: Funniest thing I've read in a while.

vapacersfan
06-26-2006, 07:55 PM

NICE!!

I actually laughed out loud at that one.

Hicks
06-26-2006, 08:03 PM
Was that really the ball used at the all-star game? I totally missed that one.

As for the rumor of it messing with shooters, I'm against anything that messes with the players' performance. Color changes wouldn't be that bad, but something that literally changes the game? No thanks. I kind of like the idea of "home color" basketballs, a la the Denver All-Star game.

Trader Joe
06-26-2006, 08:55 PM
Ok, I definetely remember reading an article about the new ball hurting mediocre shooters and helping ball handlers cause it is made of some new sticktack covering, I am gonna try and find the article.

SoupIsGood
06-26-2006, 08:57 PM
Was it this?

Not quite sure why this has not gotten more press, but the NBA will be using a new basketball design next season. The new ball is no longer going to be leather, rather a composite surface, and has a strikingly different look. One of the side effects of this new non-leather ball will likely be the decrease in shooting percentages, as the ball tends to “bobble” out a touch more than the normal NBA ball. The new ball was used exclusively at the NBA pre-draft camp. The new ball is also featured in print on the cover of the NBA’s 2006 draft guide. Ironically, neither the NBA nor Spalding has put out a release on the new ball yet. There had been rumors of the new ball design for the past few months - it was surprising to see it in use in Orlando, especially without any press on the new ball or its features – but it’s coming.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_17689.shtml

RE31 has the pics of it correct

Trader Joe
06-26-2006, 09:03 PM
^^IT may have been that, but it referenced the shooting hurt directly, but yeah thats the general idea.

pizza guy
06-26-2006, 11:06 PM
I can't see them using something that would hurt shooting percentages. It would be stupid to mess with the success of the offense that sells tickets. Something strange that I noticed about the idea of it being used at the All-Star game: that would be the last place to squelch offensive production of players.

This should be really gimmicky and probably lose the NBA some respect. What's wrong with it as it is?

Young
06-27-2006, 12:36 AM
www.hoopsworld.com/article_17689.shtml

Thanks Stern, out of all the things that could be changed you change this?

It's at the bottom of the page. Here is what it says:

-------------------------------------------------------
Not quite sure why this has not gotten more press, but the NBA will be using a new basketball design next season. The new ball is no longer going to be leather, rather a composite surface, and has a strikingly different look. One of the side effects of this new non-leather ball will likely be the decrease in shooting percentages, as the ball tends to “bobble” out a touch more than the normal NBA ball. The new ball was used exclusively at the NBA pre-draft camp. The new ball is also featured in print on the cover of the NBA’s 2006 draft guide. Ironically, neither the NBA nor Spalding has put out a release on the new ball yet. There had been rumors of the new ball design for the past few months - it was surprising to see it in use in Orlando, especially without any press on the new ball or its features – but it’s coming.
-------------------------------------------------------

8.9_seconds
06-27-2006, 01:15 AM
It's not Leather?

N8R
06-27-2006, 01:31 AM
Stupid Stern. Leave the Ball alone. It had better not be multicoloured

Lord Helmet
06-27-2006, 01:34 AM
Good going, Stern. You idiot. Let's mess with the game even more, and not help the shooting percentages. How stupid are you?

This really is going to help the Pacers, too. They shoot worse enough with the old balls. Great.......:unimpress

rabid
06-27-2006, 01:59 AM
Maybe they're just trying it out this summer as an experiement (please God...)

Lord Helmet
06-27-2006, 02:00 AM
Maybe they're just trying it out this summer as an experiement (please God...)
I doubt it....

Fireball Kid
06-27-2006, 02:09 AM
I think Stern is on crack.

Jermaniac
06-27-2006, 02:24 AM
You make all these damn rules that make it easier to score points, and then you gonna come out with a ball that makes it harder to shoot. When 70% of the players in the NBA cant shoot as is.

SoupIsGood
06-27-2006, 02:29 AM
But look on the good side.... this means more offensive rebounds! Somewhere *coughnoblesvillelakecribwithnobasketballgoalcough *, Jeff Foster is dancing a jig...

NorCal_Pacerfan
06-27-2006, 04:51 AM
Can't leave well enough alone...

Eindar
06-27-2006, 05:31 AM
I count 3 people in this thread whose avatars have been made obsolete by the new basketball.

Kitten pirates, however, are timeless.

Steve McQueen
06-27-2006, 06:02 AM

I doubt it will effect shooting percentages. It will just take some time to get use to over the summer. Who knows, in the long run if may actuallyu help, or at the very least have no effect.

I doubt it will effect shooting percentages. It will just take some time to get use to over the summer. Who knows, in the long run if may actuallyu help, or at the very least have no effect.

NorCal_Pacerfan
06-27-2006, 06:09 AM
Is there an echo in here? ;)

indygeezer
06-27-2006, 07:09 AM
Say a thing often enough and it becomes a mantra.

Putnam
06-27-2006, 09:08 AM
So, McQueen. Do you think it will affect shooting percentages?

Fool
06-27-2006, 10:34 AM
1) I would think we'd at least need to see it in use a couple times before we call the commish an idiot.

2) While it appears not to be a "camera in the ball", and while such a thing seems rather improbably (do to cost and durability) I don't see a reason why such a thing wouldn't work. A couple issues were brought up: Gryoscopes would allow the camera to stay focused in the correct orientation while the ball spun or flipped or what have you. As for something inside effecting the roatation or the feel at certain points (Geez's post), you could always make the inside consistently "touched" and distribute the weight evenly throughout all points of the inner surface (think of four watermelon quarters laying on the inner surface extending inward toward the center of the ball).

3) However, there are many other options that could "make you see the game differently". Remember the glow puck? While I would HATE such a thing it wouldn't be hard for virtual flames to light the ball (as offered earlier) for those watching at home.

4) I don't want "home colored" balls. Pink bats were nice for the charity aspect in baseball but I'd hate to see the Celtics playing with a green and white ball or the lakers dribbling the old gold and purple ball I used to play in the street with. Remember the outrage when baseball sold the rights for Spiderman 2(?) to advertise on their bases?

5) I gotta say, I already want one.

5) Maybe Jax will drive more if its tougher to make jumpers?

grace
06-27-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm not about to read this whole thread so if someone has already brought this up at least I agree with you:

This is Stern's latest attempt to rig games. A camera in the ball? BS. It's some homing devise that will 1) get the ball through the hoop if Shaq is shooting free throws 2) have the ball clank off the rim if {insert Pacer player here} takes a shot. 3) make the ball like a hot potato if a player not on the league/network preferred team tries for a rebound.

IT'S A CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU!

CONSPIRACY

FrenchConnection
06-27-2006, 01:42 PM
1) I would think we'd at least need to see it in use a couple times before we call the commish an idiot.

2) While it appears not to be a "camera in the ball", and while such a thing seems rather improbably (do to cost and durability) I don't see a reason why such a thing wouldn't work. A couple issues were brought up: Gryoscopes would allow the camera to stay focused in the correct orientation while the ball spun or flipped or what have you. As for something inside effecting the roatation or the feel at certain points (Geez's post), you could always make the inside consistently "touched" and distribute the weight evenly throughout all points of the inner surface (think of four watermelon quarters laying on the inner surface extending inward toward the center of the ball).

3) However, there are many other options that could "make you see the game differently". Remember the glow puck? While I would HATE such a thing it wouldn't be hard for virtual flames to light the ball (as offered earlier) for those watching at home.

4) I don't want "home colored" balls. Pink bats were nice for the charity aspect in baseball but I'd hate to see the Celtics playing with a green and white ball or the lakers dribbling the old gold and purple ball I used to play in the street with. Remember the outrage when baseball sold the rights for Spiderman 2(?) to advertise on their bases?

5) I gotta say, I already want one.

5) Maybe Jax will drive more if its tougher to make jumpers?

The glow puck was an ill-advised attempt to sell hockey to southerners. Real hockey fans don't have problems finding the puck on the TV screen and found the thing a distraction. In fact, I did not watch NHL on Fox because of that stupid thing. In any case, basketball has no need for such a device, and a camera in the ball would be a waste of money.

Ara
06-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Looks like NBA Live 07 has the new ball in use already.

http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen/50172/NBA-LIVE-07/

http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen/50174/NBA-LIVE-07/

bulldog
06-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Are those screenshots from the Nintentdo 64? There's no way that's Live 2007 for the 360.

Chauncey
06-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Are those screenshots from the Nintentdo 64? There's no way that's Live 2007 for the 360.

Those are old...probably first build. They start with the polygonal models and slowly work their way up to the realistic things you're used to seeing

Robertmto
06-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Ok Ok I found out the nockname for the new ball;

The LeBall.

Natston
06-27-2006, 05:16 PM
Looks like NBA Live 07 has the new ball in use already.

http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen/50172/NBA-LIVE-07/

http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen/50174/NBA-LIVE-07/

Just like last year with the pacers new uniforms...

Ara
06-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Just like last year with the pacers new uniforms...

Yeah, now that I look closer, it does look like the current one.

But this year's does have the Pacers new uni's, you just have to unlock it using cheats.

And they could probably just replace the ball image/add in Nowitzki's different from this year's hair, but I'd doubt that they would go that far just to show the ball pics are legitimate.

rel
06-27-2006, 05:49 PM
You know what...now that this is the new NBA ball...whats gonna happen to the numerous teams that have the "old" nba ball in their logo...like our pacers

stupid stern....

Leisure Suit Larry
06-27-2006, 05:51 PM
You know what...now that this is the new NBA ball...whats gonna happen to the numerous teams that have the "old" nba ball in their logo...like our pacers

stupid stern....

haha you are a logo/uniform fanatic, but anyway I think it would stay the same because that's what a basketball looks like. it probably isn't meant to be specifically an NBA ball.

rel
06-27-2006, 06:14 PM
ok...so i did a quick update for the pacers if they did change the logo to fit the new ball

iicckk....

http://img446.imageshack.us/img446/6076/relpacersnewlogo8ut.jpg

eewww...

Hicks
06-27-2006, 07:42 PM
I could put together an alternative logo for PD using that. :D

317Kim
06-27-2006, 08:09 PM
That makes our (maybe) new logo look hideous. It looks like a giant hand grabbing a ball.

Ara
06-27-2006, 08:38 PM
I like the transformation, but yeah, the ball does look ugly.

Eindar
06-28-2006, 01:14 AM
That makes our (maybe) new logo look hideous. It looks like a giant hand grabbing a ball.

Ahem...I hate to point out that that's exactly what our logo was for many years :D

GO!!!!!
06-28-2006, 01:36 AM
http://www.remembertheaba.com/ABALogos/PacersLogo.GIF

Dadummmm

I love this logo and wish it was back... one of the best logo's ever me thinks

Robertmto
06-28-2006, 01:38 AM
I CAN'T WAIT TILL THE OPENING

:rolleyes:

Jermaniac
06-28-2006, 01:42 AM
http://www.jumpusa.com/jerseyball13.jpg

The new NBA ball.

Natston
06-28-2006, 06:14 AM
Yeah, now that I look closer, it does look like the current one.

But this year's does have the Pacers new uni's, you just have to unlock it using cheats.

I was pointing out that last year the new unis were "leaked" in the same way so there was no suspense when the Pacers actually pimped them...

Stryder
06-28-2006, 06:39 AM
http://www.jumpusa.com/jerseyball13.jpg

The new NBA ball.

Everyone's shooting percentage would be 100% with that ball, which would then lead to a chronic condition of chest pounding and/or complaining to the ref after every play...

I know, I'm not funny....

Jermaniac
06-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Jermaine doesnt ***** at the refs no more

rel
06-28-2006, 01:25 PM
http://store.nba.com/gp/product/B000GHWS9S/ref=sc_iw_c_0_1_14129791_1/104-6450209-3610364?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=AI034WF8DHTF9&league=core

good god its pricey...$100

317Kim
06-28-2006, 01:26 PM
Yowzers!

That's tooo much.

Stryder
06-28-2006, 01:27 PM
http://store.nba.com/gp/product/B000GHWS9S/ref=sc_iw_c_0_1_14129791_1/104-6450209-3610364?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=AI034WF8DHTF9&league=core

good god its pricey...$100

Hehe....who in their right mind would pay $100 for this piece of crap?

:D :D :D

Chauncey
06-28-2006, 01:33 PM
I've actually heard something else about a ref-cam, as well.

microwave_oven
06-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Hehe....who in their right mind would pay $100 for this piece of crap?

:D :D :D

I'd like to say "not me." But I'll probably end up buying one anyway.

Kstat
06-28-2006, 01:41 PM
I already have an old-school NBA ball. Works pretty well for hardwood floors.

bulldog
06-28-2006, 04:05 PM
And it's official:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2503132

Better shooting as a result of more surface area with grip and more consistency from composite material.

But what about changing the way you see the game?