PDA

View Full Version : My Opinion: David Stern Cost Greg Oden Millions

clemdogg
06-26-2006, 04:22 PM
As a recent area high school varsity basketball player (I graduated in 2004 from Beech Grove), I have realized that David Stern probably cost Greg Oden a lot of money. Obviously, had Stern not made his rule this past year barring high schoolers from entering the draft, Greg would be the surefire lock as the first pick in this year's draft, assuming that he would have decided to come out. But here is my worry: Oden will be ousted. Oden will be exposed. Oden will not be the number 1 pick in next year's draft. Allow me to explain...

What has Oden really proved? Oden has proved that he can dominate a game against high-schoolers. He has proved he can block and dunk on people who are a lot smaller than him. But who has really seen this kid consistently hit a jumpshot? Who has seen this kid hit a hook shot? Or an up-and-under? Or anything really besides a dunk? (He can shoot free throws for a big man, but I will get to that later). Granted, he hasn't had to do these things, but he will next year.

Don't get me wrong. Oden has a tremendous upside due to his size, athleticism, attitude, work ethic, and coachability. But I have yet to see anything from his play that suggests the comparisons he is receiving. I don't think he will dominate in any way next year for OSU. And this recent thing with his wrist definitely doesn't help. To me, Oden's mobility and range is limited. Its not like this is Kevin Garnett out there, hitting 3's and bringing the ball up the floor. This is a post guy who has yet to display any post moves besides dunks.

Now, having said all of that, the improvement Oden has shown on his free throws from his freshman to sophomore year reflect the work ethic and coachability of this young man. If those two qualities clash with some post moves before next year, then watch out Big Ten and NBA. But as of what I have seen now, I am not sold one bit on Oden.

Sorry guys, I'm not an Oden-hater, even though I am a huge IU fan. But until I see a hook shot out of this guy, I'm just not buyin the hype.

Chauncey
06-26-2006, 04:31 PM
LOL

Since86
06-26-2006, 04:31 PM
LOL

QFT.

Second line.

Slick Pinkham
06-26-2006, 04:35 PM
The new rule does cost Oden some money by delaying his entry a year.

But the point about the rule was not to keep out the LeBrons and the Odoms, but to keep out the Ndudi Ebis, and worse still the undrafted HS studs of the past, until they at least get the reality check of college ball.

HS draft busts from http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/Draft/highschool.htm:

Taj McDavid (Palmetto, Williamston SC)
- Not selected.

- Career Stats: None

Korleone Young (Hargrave Military Academy, Chatham, Va.)
- 40th pick by Detroit.

- Career Stats (1 season – 3 games): 4.3 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.3 apg

Ellis Richardson (Poly, Sun Valley, Calif.)
- Not selected.

Leon Smith (M.L. King, Chicago, Ill.)
- 29th pick by San Antonio.

- Career Stats (2 seasons): 2.2 ppg, 2.0 rpg, .2 apg

Ousmane Cisse (St. Jude Catholic, Montgomery, Ala.)
- 47th pick by Denver.

Tony Key (Centennial, Compton, Calif.)
- Not selected.

DeAngelo Collins (Inglewood, Ca.)
- Not selected.

Lenny Cooke (North Regional Valley, Old Tappan, N. J.)
- Not selected.

Ndudi Ebi (Westbury Christian, Houston, Tx.)
- 26th pick by Minnesota

- Career Stats (2 seasons): 2.1 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 0.2 apg

James Lang (Central Park Christian, Birmingham, Al.)
- 48th pick by New Orleans

Kstat
06-26-2006, 04:48 PM
LOL

We should all take up a collection for poor Oden....

Since86
06-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Stern is a big reason WHY Oden will get millions.

To even go further, Greg has said several times that he was going to go to college regardless of what the rule said.

clemdogg
06-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Yea, which is why I was assuming Greg was gonna go. I was never completely sold that Greg was automatically going in the first place. The bigger picture here is that had the rule not been made, Greg would be looking at millions right now. But since it was made, and he has to go to school regardless, he won't prove to be as good as everyone thought, and he won't be taken number 1 next year. That's my main point.

By the way...
wat is QFT and second line?

Chauncey
06-26-2006, 05:14 PM
But since it was made, and he has to go to school regardless, he won't prove to be as good as everyone thought, and he won't be taken number 1 next year. That's my main point.

You'll see. As someone who has seen Oden (and just about every other top prospect from the state and the Cincy/Dayton/Columbus areas over the past 8-9 years) several dozen times in person; all I can say is, you'll see.

Shade
06-26-2006, 05:30 PM
I'm not completely sold yet on Oden, because he has pretty much just dominated a bunch of smaller players.

However, I wasn't all that impressed with LeBron in HS either, and thought he was going to be a flop (or at least a late bloomer) after witnessing his horrendous preseason in his rookie year. So I'm trying to keep an open mind to Oden. Can't wait to see what he does next year against my beloved :hoosiers:.

Kstat
06-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Oden reminds me so much of David Robinson.

Chauncey
06-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Oden reminds me so much of David Robinson.

He's a clone..an absolute clone.

Shade
06-26-2006, 05:32 PM
By the way...
wat is QFT and second line?

QFT stands for "Quoted for Truth."

"Second line" is a PD inside joke referencing unnecessarily short posts. I'll let someone else (btown?) explain that one a little better.

Third line. :D

Trader Joe
06-26-2006, 05:48 PM
If Oden is really as good as some think he is he will earn his way and be fine. I do not think he is going to be the dominant player some think, but I see him being Marcus Camby maybe averaging 15, 12, and 3 blocks, this is not bad don't get me wrong, but he is no Shaq, Kareem, Russell etc.

btowncolt
06-26-2006, 05:50 PM
QFT stands for "Quoted for Truth."

"Second line" is a PD inside joke referencing unnecessarily short posts. I'll let someone else (btown?) explain that one a little better.

Third line. :D

Good enough for me, even if it's not exactly true.

Second line.

Shade
06-26-2006, 05:51 PM
If Oden is really as good as some think he is he will earn his way and be fine. I do not think he is going to be the dominant player some think, but I see him being Marcus Camby maybe averaging 15, 12, and 3 blocks, this is not bad don't get me wrong, but he is no Shaq, Kareem, Russell etc.

It's way too early to say either way.

Good enough for me, even if it's not exactly true.

Second line.

Which is why you should explain it better. ;)

Dos line.

Kegboy
06-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Well, it'll be 6 months before we can see him again, but before you say he's not gonna be a great player, watch his feet. He's already got better post footwork than half the Bigs in the pros. Oden's a special player.

Which is why you should explain it better. ;)

Dos line.

:nod:

beast23
06-26-2006, 11:12 PM
I personally think Oden could break his leg on June 1, 2007, and he'd still be the #1 pick in next year's draft (provided he enters the draft).

Anyone who thinks otherwise either hasn't watched Oden evolve over the last 2-3 years, or perhaps suffers from Oden-envy and just isn't able to admit the obvious.

His defensive timing is exceptional and he seems to block equally well with either hand. His footwork improved dramatically during his high school years and he hits his free throws. As for shooting, he's decent around the basket from 5-6 feet and quite honestly, I doubt that many of his shots in the pros will come from outside of 10 feet, so he will cover that distance in no time.

In the debate regarding JO being traded, I've said all along that there isn't a player in the draft I'd take ahead of Jermaine, so I'd have a hard time trading him for CV and Toronto's #1.

However, if Oden were available in this draft, I would probably be willing to trade JO straight up for the #1.

Eindar
06-27-2006, 12:05 AM
If anyone costs Greg Oden millions, it's Greg Oden. Sure, in theory it could cost him 20 million or so at the end of his deal, but more likely he'll retire before that entire last contract runs out anyways. Regardless, if I were Oden, I'd be far more concerned about losing hundreds of millions through suffering a career ending injury in college or pros than losing a year off the backend of my career, which hasn't even started yet.