PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Star-Tribune writer: It's time to trade Kevin Garnett

Slick Pinkham
06-26-2006, 09:44 AM
http://www.startribune.com/150/story/512639.html

Jim Souhan: It's time to trade Garnett

The Wolves need to start over, and dealing their star would be a good move for both player and team.

Jim Souhan, Star Tribune
Last update: June 25, 2006 7:22 AM

He's a tall, lanky power forward whose passionate play made him a Minnesota icon, and he became one of the NBA's most dominant players in his prime. So it's sad to say that it's time for Kevin to go, especially because the Kevin in question now bears the surname "Garnett." Last season, Kevin Garnett maintained a statistical profile of all-around excellence even while the Timberwolves imploded. That is a good reason to admire him. That is a better reason to trade him.
A flawed, poorly run team could not contend last season when one of the NBA's supposedly elite players was healthy and productive.

Now virtually the same management team and virtually the same coaching staff will try to win with virtually the same roster, with two exceptions:

1. Garnett will be a year older, at 30, having averaged 39 high-energy minutes per game.

2. Rashad McCants, the developing player with the best chance of improving the Wolves, is out indefinitely after undergoing microfracture knee surgery, a frightening injury for a player who relies on explosiveness.

This leaves the Wolves with two choices:

1. Make a desperate move, trading for a problematic player like Stephon Marbury, to pair Garnett with someone who could make the Wolves contenders.

2. Start over.

Admit that such a desperate move probably would fail, and that if it succeeded it would not get the Wolves much more than a first-round playoff loss.

Admit that Garnett's career has been wasted on a franchise that mismanaged talent, blew draft picks and cheated blatantly on the Joe Smith signing.

Admit that even with Garnett healthy and at his best, the 2006-07 Wolves will not be an attractive draw to fans disgusted by the current regime's mistakes.

Admit that having Garnett healthy will keep the Wolves competitive enough that the odds will be against earning a transformative draft choice.

Admit that Garnett's trade value will only decrease if he continues to log major minutes for bad teams, wearing down his knees and patience.

As painful as it might be to accept, starting over is the way to go.

Keep Garnett, and what you'll have is another lost season to go with a lost opportunity to overhaul a franchise in need of a fresh start.

Garnett is the Wolves' only healthy, valuable asset worth more than a light rail token.

Not only must he be traded, but he must be traded in one of those subtle, fan-angering moves that isn't fully appreciated for years.

Garnett is of best use to the only franchise for which he has played if he becomes the Wolves' Chuck Knoblauch, A.J. Pierzynski or Herschel Walker.

Remember, Twins fans thought their franchise was giving up when Terry Ryan made his deals. The Knoblauch deals built the foundation of three straight division championships. The Pierzynski deal brought Joe Nathan, Francisco Liriano and Boof Bonser. Herschel Walker ... well, you probably remember that one, too.

The Wolves need to trade for young, affordable talent and quality draft picks, and then display the kind of patience that has been void in the organization.

Which leads us to the most legitimate concern about trading Garnett: that the current brain trust might not be capable of making the right deal, or the right kind of deal.

Kevin McHale seems to believe his roster is a few tweaks away from the playoffs. Owner Glen Taylor has refused to fire McHale, an indication that Taylor thinks everything is running smoothly.

Virtually everyone who doesn't draw a paycheck from Taylor knows the franchise is almost beyond repair.

What is wrong with the Wolves, Garnett can't fix alone, and that's his only option if he stays.

So it's time to trade Garnett, not for his sake, but because trading him is the only way a wayward franchise can start over with a workable plan and realistic expectations.

Jim Souhan can be heard Sundays from 10 a.m.-noon on KSTP AM 1500. jsouhan@startribune.com

Chauncey
06-26-2006, 10:31 AM
Yeah, saw this the other day...this is the first time I can remember that the Minny press has actually said this.

Fool
06-26-2006, 10:43 AM
How can people watch a player perform well season after season, watch management fumble and bumble their way through that players career and then think the answer is to trade the player who has always performed.

If McHale can't build a championship team with KG, why would anyone think he can do so w/o him?

Robertmto
06-26-2006, 10:58 AM
ummm DUH!!

Jon Theodore
06-26-2006, 12:00 PM
I think the main reason they should do it is because they need to hit rock bottom before they get anywhere. They should highly considering trading KG (mainly just as a service to him, let him have a shot at greatness in the playoffs) and tank to possibly get Oden.

If I was a TWolves fan I would prob want that. They can also get Jermaine, so clearly they wouldn't be in THAT bad of shape....oh wait....or would they?

Bball
06-26-2006, 12:04 PM
I'm re-reading that and wondering why you couldn't change the focus of a lot of the story to the Pacers? It doesn't seem like we're in all that different of a boat.

We might've gotten there in a different way (or not) but we're here now.

-Bball

Trader Joe
06-26-2006, 12:05 PM
If we could trade JO and Tins for KG and then Marcus Williams fell to us at 17. I would weep tears of un adulterated joy.

Shade
06-26-2006, 01:30 PM
There's absolutely no point in a KG-for-JO swap, for either team. If we were to make a run for KG, it would have to start with Cro (expiring contract) and Danny, and go from there.

Peck
06-26-2006, 01:39 PM
There's absolutely no point in a KG-for-JO swap, for either team. If we were to make a run for KG, it would have to start with Cro (expiring contract) and Danny, and go from there.

That's not entirely true.

Sometimes, contrary to what the bunny would have us believe, trade for the sake of trade is a good thing.

Both of these guys are spinning thier wheels where they are at & maybe just a change would be good for them.

Jermaine might feel good because the one player I have heard him aknowledge as an elite player he looks up to is Garnett so maybe being traded for him would stoke his ego enough play at a higher level.

Garnett may feel better coming to a team that, on the surface anyway, has more talent to put around him.

I'm not saying to do this trade, I'm just saying it may be the right thing to do to shake things up for everybody.

CableKC
06-26-2006, 01:48 PM
If I didn't know any better....I would have thought that this was an article from the IndyStar by :kravitz:

:zip:

Chauncey
06-26-2006, 02:03 PM
There's absolutely no point in a KG-for-JO swap, for either team. .

What?

WHAT?

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?!?!

I straight up KG-for-JO swap would be an immediate 7-8 game win improvement just on talent alone.

edit: p.s. not to mention the gain from just shaking things up in general and perhaps the rest of the team responding to a different style of play (as there would have to be--and needs to be anyways)

Shade
06-26-2006, 02:51 PM
What?

WHAT?

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?!?!

I straight up KG-for-JO swap would be an immediate 7-8 game win improvement just on talent alone.

edit: p.s. not to mention the gain from just shaking things up in general and perhaps the rest of the team responding to a different style of play (as there would have to be--and needs to be anyways)

I'm not referring to a straight-up swap. But Minny would likely be in even worse shape than they are now. There's just no point to the trade for them if they plan on going into rebuild mode (which they would if they traded KG, most likely). JO's contract is only slightly smaller and would not open things up for them to rebuild.

I would love to have KG here, but we would likely have to work a 3-team deal to make it happen. The Wolves would surely want Danny and Cro, and probably Hulk as well, and we'd still need to include more players to make it work.

Pacers get:
Kevin Garnett

Wolves get:
Austin Croshere
Jeff Foster
David Harrison
Danny Granger
Fred Jones (via s&t)

C - JO
PF - KG
SF - Peja
SG - Jack
PG - Tins

Of course, we'd have no bench. :shrug:

Gamble
06-26-2006, 03:09 PM
Not sure what they would ask but I think you over estimate what
his value is. KG is worth JO and Tinsley/Jax but not anything more.

In anycase the more all-stars out there being dealt can only mean more
opportunities for us.

FrenchConnection
06-26-2006, 03:23 PM
If I didn't know any better....I would have thought that this was an article from the IndyStar by :kravitz:

:zip:

My first thought was :kravitz:'s articles on Ron Ron. But KG has thicker skin, so I don't he will respond like Ronald did.

Shade
06-26-2006, 03:24 PM
In anycase the more all-stars out there being dealt can only mean more opportunities for us to do nothing.

Fixed. ;)

ChicagoJ
06-26-2006, 03:38 PM
What makes anyone think KG could do better (in terms of wins and losses) with the current version of the Pacers than JO did?

As Tom said somewhere else, the Pacers should be trying to build a team around JO. Even if they traded JO for KG, they'd still need to make several more trades to find the right players to compliment KG, or else we could flush next season down the same toilet as the past season.

Shade
06-26-2006, 03:46 PM
What makes anyone think KG could do better (in terms of wins and losses) with the current version of the Pacers than JO did?

As Tom said somewhere else, the Pacers should be trying to build a team around JO. Even if they traded JO for KG, they'd still need to make several more trades to find the right players to compliment KG, or else we could flush next season down the same toilet as the past season.

QFT

Now, if we could pry KG from them while retaining JO... :drool: