PDA

View Full Version : Psycho Scott Skiles (and news on the Raptors and Lamarcus Aldridge)

Chauncey
06-23-2006, 03:14 PM
From Metro News in Canada
http://www.metronews.ca/column_york_report.asp?id=17022&cid=10223 (http://www.metronews.ca/column_york_report.asp?id=17022&cid=10223)

Raptors finally on the right track
Here are a couple of statements I haven’t been able to honestly make for many years:

1.) Canada’s NBA franchise is in good shape;

2.) Decent, respectable players actually want to come here and play for it.

And, unlike play-by-play announcer and talk-show host Chuck Swirsky, I don’t work for the Raptors so I can make these statements with complete objectivity, devoid of suspected personal agendas.

The Raptors, folks, should be for real next season and anything less than a playoff berth will be a serious underachievement.

Why do I say all this?

For starters, the Raptors’ new general manager, Bryan Colangelo, already has delivered, trading this week for a bona fide centre in Rasho Nesterovic. Along with Chris Bosh and Charlie Villenueva, the 7-footer gives Toronto three established scorers and rebounders up front.

It’ll get better for the Raptors next week, too, when I suspect Colangelo will trade the No. 1 pick in Wednesday’s draft for another recognizable player or two. And then there'll be free agents. Star guards such as Sam Cassell, Jason Terry and Brevin Knight actually have let it be known they wouldn’t mind joining the Raptors. And Bosh is saying he’ll soon re-sign for six years.

Even top draft prospects say they like the Raptors’ direction. LaMarcus Aldridge, for instance. He’s Bosh’s pal and, if Colangelo rejects trade offers, the 6-foot-11 forward could be his first pick.

Aldridge would like that considerably better than, say, playing for the Bulls. The Chicago brass wined and dined him the other day, but Bulls coach Scott Skiles frightened the spit out of the kid by spending the first 10 minutes of their dinner doing nothing but staring at him.

“It scared me,” Aldridge said. “I hope I play in Toronto.”

Stryder
06-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Haha. That's awesome....Skiles isn't intimidating, but that would be truly frightening for him to stare for 10 minutes.

blanket
06-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Aldridge would like that considerably better than, say, playing for the Bulls. The Chicago brass wined and dined him the other day, but Bulls coach Scott Skiles frightened the spit out of the kid by spending the first 10 minutes of their dinner doing nothing but staring at him.

Why the F* would a draft prospect come out and say something like this? What an idiot.

BoomBaby31
06-23-2006, 03:32 PM
From Metro News in Canada
http://www.metronews.ca/column_york_report.asp?id=17022&cid=10223 (http://www.metronews.ca/column_york_report.asp?id=17022&cid=10223)

Raptors finally on the right track
Here are a couple of statements I haven’t been able to honestly make for many years:

1.) Canada’s NBA franchise is in good shape;

2.) Decent, respectable players actually want to come here and play for it.

And, unlike play-by-play announcer and talk-show host Chuck Swirsky, I don’t work for the Raptors so I can make these statements with complete objectivity, devoid of suspected personal agendas.

The Raptors, folks, should be for real next season and anything less than a playoff berth will be a serious underachievement.

Why do I say all this?

For starters, the Raptors’ new general manager, Bryan Colangelo, already has delivered, trading this week for a bona fide centre in Rasho Nesterovic. Along with Chris Bosh and Charlie Villenueva, the 7-footer gives Toronto three established scorers and rebounders up front.

It’ll get better for the Raptors next week, too, when I suspect Colangelo will trade the No. 1 pick in Wednesday’s draft for another recognizable player or two. And then there'll be free agents. Star guards such as Sam Cassell, Jason Terry and Brevin Knight actually have let it be known they wouldn’t mind joining the Raptors. And Bosh is saying he’ll soon re-sign for six years.

Even top draft prospects say they like the Raptors’ direction. LaMarcus Aldridge, for instance. He’s Bosh’s pal and, if Colangelo rejects trade offers, the 6-foot-11 forward could be his first pick.

LOL, Skiles is wierd. LOL... When I was little (and i'm not making this up) collecting Basketball cards was extremely popular 3-5th grade I'd say, well everytime I'd get a pack of cards; I'd always get damn Scott Skiles like 2 in a pack, all of the time at least 4 out of 5 packs had his mug in there. It use to **** me off so bad because I'd only get about a pack a week I couldn't trade him with any of my friends and it was just a waste of space in my binder. So I started disliking Scott Skiles from that day forward lol.. he ruined my childhood :( lol (j/k about the ruining childhood part).

On the Rapters, they are looking up. It has to be tough for the Rapotrs though I mean everytime they get a decent center the player refuses to play there like: Mourning and A. Davis. So now they get a Euro player that will play and is a decent Center. In my opinion if the Raptors aren't sold on Morrison they need to trade their pick, Chicago would be perfect they could take Gordon, and Henrich maybe for the #1. Or us. Tinsely, Jax and #17.

Bball
06-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Why the F* would a draft prospect come out and say something like this? What an idiot.

Because he wants to play alongside Bosh.

Hmmm.. Is there a "C" in there... hmmmm Bosch... That looks better... But I guess it's not really there...

-Bball

Robertmto
06-23-2006, 04:24 PM
So i'm guessing LA is screwed since Toronto is trading do......wait nope. This is perfect, Toronto trades down to the 4 with Portland and they get a decent PG and LA.

blanket
06-23-2006, 04:38 PM
So i'm guessing LA is screwed since Toronto is trading do......wait nope. This is perfect, Toronto trades down to the 4 with Portland and they get a decent PG and LA.

I think Toronto will trade the pick, and likely with Portland, but I think it'll go a little differently:

Portland gets #1 and uses it on Morrison, while Toronto gets Jarrett Jack and #4, which they use on Bargnani. Other players might be involved, but that's the crux of the trade.

I expect Aldridge to slip to Atlanta at 5 or Minnesota at 6.

Chauncey
06-23-2006, 04:42 PM
I'd wager that they're not trading the pick. They're taking Bargnani. Colangelo didn't spend the last year scouting him because he didn't want him.

Robertmto
06-23-2006, 04:44 PM
I think Toronto will trade the pick, and likely with Portland, but I think it'll go a little differently:

Portland gets #1 and uses it on Morrison, while Toronto gets Jarrett Jack and #4, which they use on Bargnani. Other players might be involved, but that's the crux of the trade.

Barnani is too much like Charlie V. They need to draft someone who can play center so Bosh can move down to the 4 and Graham can start at the 3. CV will come off the bench and the Raptors will be a nice team.

blanket
06-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Barnani is too much like Charlie V. They need to draft someone who can play center so Bosh can move down to the 4 and Graham can start at the 3. CV will come off the bench and the Raptors will be a nice team.

You might be right, but I think that's what the Rasho trade was supposed to take care of.

travmil
06-23-2006, 04:52 PM

Why would Portland trade up to take Morrison when either he or Rudy Gay will be there at #4? Even if they stay put and lose out on Morrison, Rudy isn't a bad consolation prize.

FrenchConnection
06-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Why would Portland trade up to take Morrison when either he or Rudy Gay will be there at #4? Even if they stay put and lose out on Morrison, Rudy isn't a bad consolation prize.

Gay does not provide nearly the marketing boon that Morrison would bring, especially in the Pacific Northwest. Their fans feel a disconnect with the team and Ammo would go a long way towards repairing that.

blanket
06-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Gay does not provide nearly the marketing boon that Morrison would bring, especially in the Pacific Northwest. Their fans feel a disconnect with the team and Ammo would go a long way towards repairing that.

plus you can bet that SOME team will trade up for Morrison at #1, and if not he'll go by the 3rd pick, so there's no way he'll be there at 4 when Portland gets their pick.

Robertmto
06-23-2006, 06:54 PM
You might be right, but I think that's what the Rasho trade was supposed to take care of.

Rasho and LA can spit time at center.

blanket
06-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Rasho and LA can spit time at center.

Depending on how Colangelo structures the team and the coach decides to play them, so could Rasho and Bargnani.

Either way, I think Toronto will trade down.

grace
06-23-2006, 09:51 PM
Maybe if someone from the Pacers front office had bothered to stare at Artest for ten minutes they would have been smart enough to get rid of him before the season started.

Trader Joe
06-23-2006, 09:59 PM
Maybe if someone from the Pacers front office had bothered to stare at Artest for ten minutes they would have been smart enough to get rid of him before the season started.

Ron would stare back.

Kegboy
06-23-2006, 10:18 PM
Ron's too hyperactive to even sit for 10 minutes, let alone stare at someone.

beast23
06-23-2006, 10:26 PM
I think Toronto will take the better defensive player... Aldridge. He's more athletic and will probably be more active around the rim and a better rebounder, too.

grace
06-24-2006, 01:17 AM
Ron would stare back.

...and thinks to himself "if this old dude was nuts enough to get into a fight with Shaq back in the day he ain't gonna take no :censored: from me."

Robertmto
06-24-2006, 01:30 AM
Depending on how Colangelo structures the team and the coach decides to play them, so could Rasho and Bargnani.

Either way, I think Toronto will trade down.

From what I've heard Bargnani is a Tskitishvili type player, big small forward, weak power forward type.