PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Anything's Possible!

Putnam
06-23-2006, 12:22 PM
This is the moment (between the end of the season and the draft) when many things are possible and very little is certain.

The Pacers have only 9 players under contract for next year, a coach in the last year of his contract, and a front office in which the balance of power is unclear.

The various threads on this board show many different ideas for how the team should improve, as well as diverse opinions of various players and management figures. With so many views, there has seemed to be a lot of negativism because various people have said this or that proposal won't work or isn't desirable. But saying that Plan A won't work isn't the same as saying the Pacers are doomed.

The franchise stands at the point of maximum uncertainty. It has lots of needs, but also lots of flexibility.

So, the question:

How confident are you that the Pacers will do the right things between now and the start of the season, and will move the franchise in the right direction?

This doesn't limit you to saying what the right direction is, or how much improvement or decline you expect. It is just a measure of what you think is likely, given the people involved, and possible, given the CBA, salary cap, player preferences and other limitations.

Kaufman
06-23-2006, 12:29 PM
I think that there are different ways to skin a cat, and there is no one right way. I have confidence in Donnie Walsh and to some lesser degree Larry Bird (I don't know who is calling the shots and I don't think anyone does (with the exception of BBall;) ))... but as with all things, I think you won't be able to gauge whatever we do this offseason for another 2-3 years.

I doubt that when we picked Scott Haskin that Donnie Walsh thought it was going to be a relative bust. And same goes for the fans - when we picked Reggie Miller, the fans thought that the P's made a mistake.

So to answer your question... "How confident are you that the Pacers will do the right things between now and the start of the season, and will move the franchise in the right direction?"... my answer is, I HOPE that the Pacers do the right things between now and the start of the season... but that remains to be seen.

I think that they will TRY to do the right things and I trust in Donnie.

Bball
06-23-2006, 12:42 PM
I think that there are different ways to skin a cat, and there is no one right way. I have confidence in Donnie Walsh and to some lesser degree Larry Bird (I don't know who is calling the shots and I don't think anyone does (with the exception of BBall;) ))...

Bball doesn't know either, other than he believes the 'GM by Committee' plan should be scrapped so we know who to blame and who to praise. Right now Bird is getting some 'hate' aimed his way and when Walsh does finally step away, Bird is going to have anything but a clean slate with the fans. That's not fair to anyone.

but as with all things, I think you won't be able to gauge whatever we do this offseason for another 2-3 years.

I doubt that when we picked Scott Haskin that Donnie Walsh thought it was going to be a relative bust. And same goes for the fans - when we picked Reggie Miller, the fans thought that the P's made a mistake.

So to answer your question... "How confident are you that the Pacers will do the right things between now and the start of the season, and will move the franchise in the right direction?"... my answer is, I HOPE that the Pacers do the right things between now and the start of the season... but that remains to be seen.

I think that they will TRY to do the right things and I trust in Donnie.

IMHO the Pacers need to do more in this offseason than they historically have done. What they do, and don't do, could have long lasting ramnifications.

I'm going to remain skeptical that the Pacers can have a big offseason simply because past history says when push comes to shove, standing pat typically wins out.

OTOH, how can you keep Tins and his attitude, let alone a player like Sjax with his disconnect with the fans? And the Carlisle situation can't be playing well.

-Bball

Kaufman
06-23-2006, 12:50 PM
BBall,

I agree with you - I don't think the team can stand pat. And I think historically, when they needed a shake up, they've done the necessary things required -

Trading Chuck Person (though I hated it), a fan favorite and someone Donnie will always be fond of as it was one of his first picks as GM - when we had too much offense with Reggie, Smits, and Schrempf.

Trading Detlef for McKey. Offense for defense.

The Jalen for Artest and Miller and change...

I think we've made moves as necessatated. The only thing is we should have fired Isiah quicker.

I don't think that they will stand pat this year. I hope they don't. But trust in DW. He's been good to us.

Shade
06-23-2006, 12:58 PM
I honestly don't have a lot of faith right now, but I've got to think that at least one or two starters are on their way out. I just hope we do everything we can to get a new starting center and SG, 'cause if not we're gonna be hurting again.

Kaufman
06-23-2006, 01:03 PM
I don't think you'll see a lot in the way of trades happening until just upon the eve of the draft. That is when players get the most value in return. Don't write this offseason off until the end of the draft. If nothing happens or if we've not heard of anything happening by the day after the draft, I'll be sorely disappointed. But I think we'll see things shake and roll just around then.

grace
06-23-2006, 01:04 PM
I was born pessimistic. Just ask my parents.

ChicagoJ
06-23-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm afraid that "in-action by committee" continues until DW steps down.

We'll make a couple small tweaks, keep a poorly constructed team, and end up with a 6-8 seed in the playoffs, and blame it all on JO while driving his trade value down into the dumpster.

Trader Joe
06-23-2006, 01:11 PM
I will go hopeful/optimistic. I must enjoy having my feelings crushed.

Hicks
06-23-2006, 01:14 PM
I don't think you'll see a lot in the way of trades happening until just upon the eve of the draft. That is when players get the most value in return. Don't write this offseason off until the end of the draft. If nothing happens or if we've not heard of anything happening by the day after the draft, I'll be sorely disappointed. But I think we'll see things shake and roll just around then.

Now this I don't understand. I think if the Pacers make any trades, and I think they will, it won't be until late July or possibly even August.

Trader Joe
06-23-2006, 01:17 PM
Now this I don't understand. I think if the Pacers make any trades, and I think they will, it won't be until late July or possibly even August.

I agree with Kaufman. I think the Pacers will make moves in the next week or they will not be making many moves at all.

Hicks
06-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Well, that'd be great if they do, but isn't that more than a little weird for this franchise?

Kaufman
06-23-2006, 01:24 PM

I think that by that time, overall teams are wanting to have rosters assembled and not make too many changes that late. I think draft time is the best time of the year for teams to envision what next year is going to look like. Just thinking outloud - the only offseason trade I remember that late into the offseason was Detlef... at least in the Walsh era. Can someone help me out here? I do think we might pick up filler in August, like the Samaki Walkers or Terry Mills of yesteryear, but its a bit late for trades.

There is a lot of serious chatter going on right now... and that goes for all teams, not just ours.

Trader Joe
06-23-2006, 01:28 PM
I think that by that time, overall teams are wanting to have rosters assembled and not make too many changes that late. I think draft time is the best time of the year for teams to envision what next year is going to look like. Just thinking outloud - the only offseason trade I remember that late into the offseason was Detlef... at least in the Walsh era. Can someone help me out here? I do think we might pick up filler in August, like the Samaki Walkers or Terry Mills of yesteryear, but its a bit late for trades.

There is a lot of serious chatter going on right now... and that goes for all teams, not just ours.

Well I believe the B Mill for Polly trade went down in July. I can't remember what time for the month exactly though. I believe it was after the 4th though. I was on vacation in Michigan when it happened.

Frank Slade
06-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Well, that'd be great if they do, but isn't that more than a little weird for this franchise?

Right , atleast going by DW's track record , who only likes to make moves usually after the draft and before the regular season.

Although this past season has been fairly weird in and of itself.

I have to think (or hope) though the last two seasons have perhaps impressed upon Larry and Donnie ( Or perhaps even ownership) the importance of timing and consequences of in-activity.

Bball
06-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Wasn't JO for DD an August trade?

-BBall

Kaufman
06-23-2006, 01:32 PM
well that's a good point - maybe contractural stuff will happen later on when it becomes obvious that it'll be hard to resign someone...

vapacersfan
06-23-2006, 02:40 PM
I cant even follow this thread.

I started reading and I saw Bball refer to himself in the third person

Larry Bird/Donnie Walsh would never do that :-p

FrenchConnection
06-23-2006, 02:50 PM
Wasn't JO for DD an August trade?

-BBall
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jermaine_oneal/index.html

August 31 to be exact. And the huge 13 player trade that brought the Heat their title happened on August 2, 2005.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jason_williams/index.html

Most big trades happen during the free agency period. I expect Jack and Tins to go after the middle of July.

Robertmto
06-23-2006, 04:31 PM
Don't feel bad guys, we prolly won't do anything either.