PDA

View Full Version : Walsh: No Truth To Raptors Rumor

Frank Slade
06-23-2006, 11:23 AM
Walsh: No Truth To Raptors Rumor
http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/oneal_330_smiling.jpg
Reports of trade discussions between the Pacers and Toronto involving Jermaine O'Neal are false, said franchise CEO Donnie Walsh

By Conrad Brunner | June 23, 2006
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Widespread media reports the Pacers have discussed a trade with Toronto that would send five-time All-Star forward Jermaine O'Neal to the Raptors in a package involving the No. 1 pick in next Wednesday's NBA Draft are unfounded, said franchise CEO and President Donnie Walsh.

"There never was any truth to us dealing for the first pick at all," Walsh said. "If you go back to the week all of this supposedly came out, they were going to trade it for (Memphis forward Pau) Gasol or Jermaine. To me, it was (the Raptors) marketing the first pick: 'If we can get these guys, call us up, because it's worth a lot.' That's how I took it."

The most common report had the Pacers sending O'Neal and the No. 17 pick to Toronto for the No. 1 pick and forward Charlie Villanueva. Indiana's alleged interest with the top pick was Gonzaga forward Adam Morrison. The Raptors recently mitigated their need for another big body by acquiring veteran center Rasho Nesterovic from San Antonio.

"I don't get mad at that stuff," Walsh said, "but if the reporters are going to report that, I've got to say it was never true."

L I N K (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/walsh_rumor_060623.html)

Hicks
06-23-2006, 11:50 AM
Why say this now? A week ago, it might have had a point.

Bball
06-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Why say this now? A week ago, it might have had a point.

Didn't Toronto just make a move?

[tin foil hat]Maybe Walsh is denying it now because nothing could be worked out with Toronto and neither team wants its players knowing they were on the block? Or maybe Walsh had something to do with the initial rumor/leak (to create/test interest), didn't get the offers he was hoping for (for JO), and is signaling other teams they will have to do at least as good or better than what he's heard so far? [/tin foil hat]

Otherwise... it seems pretty pointless to mention it at this point...

-Bball

Brian
06-23-2006, 12:34 PM
"I don't get mad at that stuff," Walsh said, "but if the reporters are going to report that, I've got to say it was never true."

So he just admitted that it was true,he just basically said this ; "Well it was true,but I cant have JO running around here being mad at us."

Kaufman
06-23-2006, 12:36 PM
I dont' know BBall, would you want the pressure of having a guy who is the #1 pick? I wouldn't but that's just me. I can't see Donnie wanting that on his tombstone... the man who screwed up and didn't draft XYZ player. And this year's #1 pick isn't necessarily worth what the #1 draft pick sometimes is. Its kind of like a Pervis Ellison type draft, I think there's a lot of parity amonst the top few players and then a gradual, gradual sloping thereafter...

Bball
06-23-2006, 12:47 PM
I dont' know BBall, would you want the pressure of having a guy who is the #1 pick? I wouldn't but that's just me. I can't see Donnie wanting that on his tombstone... the man who screwed up and didn't draft XYZ player. And this year's #1 pick isn't necessarily worth what the #1 draft pick sometimes is. Its kind of like a Pervis Ellison type draft, I think there's a lot of parity amonst the top few players and then a gradual, gradual sloping thereafter...

I can see it now-
If the Pacers pick badly it would be forever all Bird's fault...
and if they hit a homerun it would be all Donnie Walsh's doing...
;)

-Bball

Shade
06-23-2006, 12:49 PM
And yet, I'll bet the rumors continue. :crazy2:

The timing of this is a bit weird, though.

Trader Joe
06-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Odd timing for sure, but I have been waiting for Donnie to come out and address this trade directly.

vapacersfan
06-23-2006, 02:36 PM
I swear I started laughing the second I saw this posted.

Someone just posted the other day they were surprised Donnie hasnt come out and actually shot this down.

Yeah, the Pacers PR staff doesnt browse this place at all, lol

FrenchConnection
06-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Of course they lurk here. You have a group of devoted, die-hard fans who all make their opinions known. You would think that any business would love to have that kind of access to their customer base, and sports teams are no different. Like if you were trying to figure out if fan interest would wane if you traded JO, PD would be one place you would look.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Of course they lurk here. You have a group of devoted, die-hard fans who all make their opinions known. You would think that any business would love to have that kind of access to their customer base, and sports teams are no different. Like if you were trying to figure out if fan interest would wane if you traded JO, PD would be one place you would look.

:rolleyes:

Do you go to Pacers games? People on here are a whole lot different (more negative and pessimistic) than fans at the game. They go crazy when JO is introduced.

FrenchConnection
06-23-2006, 02:53 PM

Do you go to Pacers games? People on here are a whole lot different (more negative, pessimestic) than fans at the game. They go crazy when JO is introduced.

I have made this exact point a million times (or at least twice), but I would think that they would at least look. Why not?

vapacersfan
06-23-2006, 02:59 PM
Yes, I cant tell you for a fact members of PS&E lurk on this site. Are they high up managment? no. But of course they lurk here.

As for us being different then the average fan, of course we are. Most errbody who posts here in a die hard and they live and die Pacers (and are also "nerdy" enough to post on a internet message board).

That doesnt mean it would hurt any to check out and see how the fans feel about the current state of the team

Do you go to Pacers games? People on here are a whole lot different (more negative and pessimistic) than fans at the game. They go crazy when JO is introduced.

To add to what I said before, there are plenty of people on here that are more negative, and there are also plenty of people on here that are a lot more optumistic.

It is ludacris to classify a whole community as big as PD as one thing, wether that be negative or pessimistic

FrenchConnection
06-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Yes, because I think that there is no way that we should trade JO for a young player and a pick in this terrible draft. Jack or Tins yes, JO, NO WAY!

Trader Joe
06-23-2006, 03:32 PM
I swear I started laughing the second I saw this posted.

Someone just posted the other day they were surprised Donnie hasnt come out and actually shot this down.

Yeah, the Pacers PR staff doesnt browse this place at all, lol

That would be me. The reason I said was because think of almost all other rumored offseason trades from the past. Donnie comes out almost immediately and waits to shoot em down one by one. Makes me think this one had some legs since it took so long for it to go capoot. Well I know it had legs, but that is neither here nor there.

Anthem
06-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Not to belittle our local journalists, but what are the odds that Walsh hasn't spoken on it because nobody's actually asked him?

I mean, why go look for sources when you get just as many readers making stuff up?