PDA

View Full Version : Pacers pre-draft press conference was earlier today

Unclebuck
06-23-2006, 11:11 AM
So says NBATV.

purdue101
06-23-2006, 11:16 AM
??????

do they usually hold a pre-draft conference UB?

Unclebuck
06-23-2006, 11:16 AM
It is on NBATV right now.

They are talking about the draft

We're going to take the best player available.

We have our eyes on someone we hope is there. "I'll be happy if my man is still there"

purdue101
06-23-2006, 11:19 AM
interesting. is this DW or LB saying this?

Unclebuck
06-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Mr. Larry Bird

Bird was asked if the Toronto thing was all false. Bird said YES.

Always try to get quality guys in the draft, but we want to get a good player, and hopefully our fans will like him, that's the most important thing.

Question: where is the whole Rick thing. A: we'll do that after the draft. Rick would like an extension, but we'll sit down with our owners and see which way we want to go. Rick is under contract.

Slick Pinkham
06-23-2006, 11:23 AM
Best player at ANY position is the best strategy.

Miami fans and coaches were bummed out when Bosh was off the board and they had to draft Dwayne Wade even though they had a glut at the 2/3 with Eddie Jones, Caron Butler, and Lamar Odom.

Excess talent can prove useful.

:twocents:

Mourning
06-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Ok, so no new information, offcourse. More likely an extra instrument in confusing potential other suitors for the player(s) we want to draft.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Doug
06-23-2006, 11:29 AM
I know the "best player available" strategy seems sound.

But I really hope we don't take a foward. Between JO at the 4 and Peja/Granger at the 3 we're pretty well covered.

Gimme a guard. In fact, "best guard available" works for me. Of course, even if that's what they're planning, they wouldn't come out and say it. Always saying "best player available" makes sure all the other teams keep guessing.

Unclebuck
06-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Killingsworth will be a second round pick.

Odon would be the number one pick

Possibility that Redick could be there.

Frank Slade
06-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Question: where is the whole Rick thing. A: we'll do that after the draft. Rick would like an extension, but we'll sit down with our owners and see which way we want to go. Rick is under contract.

Similar standard answser that Bird has given earlier I believe in regards to Carlisle.

Sounds to me like they are still in the wait and see approach with Rick ?

Perhaps seeing what deals can de done or players aquired, and then that may have a good deal to do with how they handle Carlisle's situation.

Unclebuck
06-23-2006, 11:33 AM
The guy that Bird wants is well known. He's followed him all year.

Position doesn't matter anymore, when drafting. .

The game has changed, that is the way the Suns and Mavs have done it.

I can't say I like how the Suns play, but they are enjoyable to watch

FrenchConnection
06-23-2006, 11:35 AM
The guy that Bird wants is well known. He's followed him all year

Who?

D-BONE
Could be. They've been pushing back the RC thing/meeting or whatever forever haven't they? I left for nearly all of May and I was under the impression the RC thing would likely be resolved upon my return. Am I confused on this?

Frank Slade
The guy that Bird wants is well known. He's followed him all year

Hmm well rule out the Euro players , unless it's Bargnani, but I would not consider him very well known.

Morrison ? Reddick ?

D-BONE
06-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Rondo??

Unclebuck
06-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Top 8 is a can't miss.

That is all folks

My guess is WTHR.com will have it later.

Lasted about 20 minutes.

D-BONE
06-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Well known? What exactly does that mean? I mean they're all well known if he's talking about the other teams and the scouting departments, right?

purdue101
06-23-2006, 11:42 AM
i'm thinkin rondo or reddick.

Doug
06-23-2006, 11:43 AM
I can't see us taking Reddick given the public statements about the need for quickness at the guard position.

Unclebuck
06-23-2006, 11:57 AM
I can't see us taking Reddick given the public statements about the need for quickness at the guard position.

Bird was asked about him and his back injury, and Bird said something like he knows all about back injuries, refering to himself.

The whole "well known" thing came up because Mark Montieth asked him if the player Bird was wanting was a well known player, and Bird said yes he's well known, or something to that effect.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-23-2006, 12:01 PM
God I hope we get JJ

Unclebuck
06-23-2006, 12:02 PM
God I hope we get JJ

Anyone but him

Slick Pinkham
06-23-2006, 12:05 PM
I can't say I like how the Suns play, but they are enjoyable to watch

Would you like it if a team played like the Suns on offense, but also played good fundamental defense?

Well... of course you would because that team would win a title, but it would be fun to watch even before that happened.

Kaufman
06-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Sometimes I wonder why press conferences like the one today occur. They are usually a different spin of the same general point...

From my collegiate perspective, when we hold a press conference sometimes it is to gauge public interest. I don't know what else to make of the conference we had today. Any thoughts? Of course I didn't see it but from what UB is saying I don't know what new we learned?

I could say that the few players that I know the Pacers have interest in are pretty well known commodities but then most of the time, first round non-european players are pretty well known in general.

Who was representing the Pacers at the conference besides Bird?

When I said that I was certain about the Pacers looking to move up - I just wanted to clarify that I don't think what I know about was or wasn't the 1st pick. My thoughts were that it'd be a jump of about 5-10 spots but that was an assumption.

Hicks
06-23-2006, 12:57 PM
Hopefully it's someone that fans will like, that's the most important thing

I wonder if this is the reason we keep seeing him interested in white guys who can shoot, rather than the popular theory...

Anthem
06-23-2006, 01:05 PM
The guy that Bird wants is well known. He's followed him all year.
Roy's probably too much to ask for, huh?

Leisure Suit Larry
06-23-2006, 01:07 PM
I think he's going with Reddick, Brewer, or Shannon Brown. Possibly Marcus Williams.

As I continue to listen to this I'm thinking he wants JJ the most.

Trader Joe
06-23-2006, 01:08 PM
Well Brandon Roy is pretty well known isn't he? ;) My bet is on Brewer or Redick and I hope it is not Redick. I will hold out for Roy until the very last second though even when everyone else has given up hope, I will pray we find a trade to get him.

Shade
06-23-2006, 01:09 PM
Best player at ANY position is the best strategy.

Miami fans and coaches were bummed out when Bosh was off the board and they had to draft Dwayne Wade even though they had a glut at the 2/3 with Eddie Jones, Caron Butler, and Lamar Odom.

Excess talent can prove useful.

:twocents:

I agree 100%. Though I will honestly be a little bummed if the best player available happens to be a SF. I'd be thrilled with a C, SG, or PG. Even a PF might not be too bad with Cro being in the final year of his contract.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-23-2006, 01:16 PM
By the way it is on the front page of http://www.wthr.com/

PacerMan
06-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Killingsworth MAY be a second round pick.

Odon would be the number one pick

Possibility that Redick could be there.

Fixed

I REALLY want Rondo. But after reading that rave about him at that workout with the #1 pg guy (williams?), I don't think he'll make it to us. Everybody in the league values superfast guys. Intense pressure on the opposing pg does amazing things for a defense.
It's gotta be a guard though. And we have to resign Fred.

Chauncey
06-23-2006, 01:39 PM
The people not wanting Reddick are going to have some serious crow to eat in coming years. I just keep laughing and laughing at these folks who think Reddick isn't a good athlete and won't be able to play in the NBA.

Reddick=Petrovic

Bball
06-23-2006, 01:39 PM
\And we have to resign Fred.

Freddie has one thing going for him in my 'reason to keep column'. He seems like a good guy. Not a drama queen. Not a hothead. ...and Lord knows we need some guys we can be proud to call Pacers just because they have their heads on straight. And he can play some defense too (so maybe that makes two reasons to keep him).

But does Freddie really bring anything to the floor that we couldn't get elsewhere? I suppose it boils down to what other players we can get, and how much it takes to re-sgn Freddie. I wouldn't make signing Freddie any kind of priority unless I was standing pat with the rest of this chaotic bunch.

-Bball

Leisure Suit Larry
06-23-2006, 01:50 PM
The people not wanting Reddick are going to have some serious crow to eat in coming years. I just keep laughing and laughing at these folks who think Reddick isn't a good athlete and won't be able to play in the NBA.

Reddick=Petrovic

Don't worry, if we are lucky enough to get him they'll all be "his biggest fan who has supported him since day 1."

Frank Slade
06-23-2006, 02:01 PM
Freddie has one thing going for him in my 'reason to keep column'. He seems like a good guy. Not a drama queen. Not a hothead. ...and Lord knows we need some guys we can be proud to call Pacers just because they have their heads on straight. And he can play some defense too (so maybe that makes two reasons to keep him).

But does Freddie really bring anything to the floor that we couldn't get elsewhere? I suppose it boils down to what other players we can get, and how much it takes to re-sgn Freddie. I wouldn't make signing Freddie any kind of priority unless I was standing pat with the rest of this chaotic bunch.

-Bball

Yeah I guess I am not on the keep Freddie Band-Wagon , right now anyway.

A number of factors are working against him IMO, not all his fault, alot due to
timing.

A predicted " weaker" than normal FA pool this year, which means higher dollars offered by other teams.

Not very likely he can assume any form of a starting role.

Not really a combo guard, who can help at the often chaotic "1" spot.

Has already been rumored in the past to wanting more playing time.

Now I love his athleticism and, God knows no one can stop him when he goes strong for those patented strong lay-ups or dunks. A crowd favorite to be certain.

That said If the Pacers can make some prompt changes to the roster to ensure a stronger Starting cast, I would not mind keeping him , as a supporting member, much like now and at a reasonable rate.

Although with that thinking some other teams would probably snatch him up.

Given what happened to James Jones , which I would have much rather they kept, I can see the Pacers trot out the obligatory "reasonable" but some what low- ball offer and hope he takes it.

FrenchConnection
06-23-2006, 02:04 PM
UB, I am sorry. I responded to your paraphrasing of Bird's quotes as if you had some idea of who it was and just were not telling. I did not realize that you were simply reporting on the presser.

FWIW, I think that everyone may be right about JJ. I know the lack of athleticism and so on, but there were times in college where he just took over games, both with hot shooting and by getting to the basket. And these games were not against Davidson or McNeese State. I will withhold judgement until I see him play in the league, but I think that he is worth a risk in this draft. If he is a bust, he will not be the only one in this really weak draft. Maybe Reddick is worth the risk.

blanket
06-23-2006, 02:08 PM
I don't know if Redick is the player LB is targeting or not, but if he's available when the Pacers pick at 17, I can just about guarantee that Bird wouldn't pass on him.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-23-2006, 02:10 PM
UB, I am sorry. I responded to your paraphrasing of Bird's quotes as if you had some idea of who it was and just were not telling. I did not realize that you were simply reporting on the presser.

FWIW, I think that everyone may be right about JJ. I know the lack of athleticism and so on, but there were times in college where he just took over games, both with hot shooting and by getting to the basket. And these games were not against Davidson or McNeese State. I will withhold judgement until I see him play in the league, but I think that he is worth a risk in this draft. If he is a bust, he will not be the only one in this really weak draft. Maybe Reddick is worth the risk.

Yeah, and we could definitely use some one who could take over games and score at will. If we are lucky enough to have him slip to us at #17 there is no reason not to take him (unless someone better slipped too). If he's a bust then its not a big deal. We spend a #17 pick on him. It's not a good pick, it's decent but this draft isn't great anyway.

BoomBaby31
06-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Yeah, and we could definitely use some one who could take over games and score at will. If we are lucky enough to have him slip to us at #17 there is no reason not to take him (unless someone better slipped too). If he's a bust then its not a big deal. We spend a #17 pick on him. It's not a good pick, it's decent but this draft isn't great anyway.

I doubt Redick slips all the way down to 17. Draftnet has him going at 11 which i think is just about right 9-14 is my guess. But, believe me I'll be watching the draft saying please not Redick, please not redick, please not redick. Then I know I'm going to hear with the #16 the Chicago Bulls select J.J Redick out of Duke University. BOOO BOOOO BOOOO. and I slowly wipe my eyes.

circlecitysportsfan
06-23-2006, 02:33 PM

Reddick=Petrovic

:laugh: Drazen was REGGIES equal! He would have just a good of career as him if not better. Hell no Redick will never reach that level. You just called Redick a HOF player....OMG!

Leisure Suit Larry
06-23-2006, 02:47 PM
:laugh: Drazen was REGGIES equal! He would have just a good of career as him if not better. Hell no Redick will never reach that level. You just called Redick a HOF player....OMG!

How can you write him off when he hasn't played an NBA game yet. Reggie isn't in the HOF by the way.

Steve McQueen
06-23-2006, 03:09 PM
Drazen was Reggie, minus the thign that made Reggie a household name, playoff heroics. Drazen's biggest claim to fame is his death at such a youthful age, and the fact that he was one of the first Euros in the NBA.

Anyways, I think the player Bird is looking at is Sergio Rodriguez, a point guard out of Spain. Hasn't he been mentioned as someone Bird has really liked for a while now? He's got some videos on YouTube, check him out, he's lightning quick and has some amazing ballhandling.

circlecitysportsfan
06-23-2006, 03:19 PM
Drazen was Reggie, minus the thign that made Reggie a household name, playoff heroics. Drazen's biggest claim to fame is his death at such a youthful age, and the fact that he was one of the first Euros in the NBA.

What playoff heroics did Reggie have from 87-93? They were both the same age basically. I'm sure you thought of that before responding to my post.

How can you write him off when he hasn't played an NBA game yet. Reggie isn't in the HOF by the way.

I wasn't talking about Reggie that's blasphemous, I don't know where you got that from. I was talking about Petrovic. Who was inducted in 2002. I'm not writting JJ off at all, but I think it's too early before he's even played a game to say that he's going to be dropping 23 a game for the next 10 years. If it was that obvious he was going to be that good (like you make it seem) he would be a top 3 pick. I don't think anybody will be upset if he ends up averaging 10-12 pts per game off the bench offa contender.

Steve McQueen
06-23-2006, 03:25 PM
What playoff heroics did Reggie have from 87-93? They were both the same age basically. I'm sure you thought of that before responding to my post.
My point exactly.

Prior to the 94 ECF vs New York, noone really knew or cared about Reggie. He was just a great shooter with a weak overall game who played on some mediocre teams. Same as Drazen. The difference is, Reggie became a legend due to his playoff heroics. Drazen became a legend due to dying young.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-23-2006, 03:29 PM
I wasn't talking about Reggie that's blasphemous, I don't know where you got that from. I was talking about Petrovic. Who was inducted in 2002. I'm not writting JJ off at all, but I think it's too early before he's even played a game to say that he's going to be dropping 23 a game for the next 10 years. If it was that obvious he was going to be that good (like you make it seem) he would be a top 3 pick.

You said Reggie was Drazen's equal. You were putting them on the same level. It's too early to say anyone could score 23 a game for 10 years. JJ has just as good a chance as anyone.

My point exactly.

Prior to the 94 ECF vs New York, noone really knew or cared about Reggie. He was just a great shooter with a weak overall game who played on some mediocre teams. Same as Drazen. The difference is, Reggie became a legend due to his playoff heroics. Drazen became a legend due to dying young.

I'm sure not as many people care about Reggie as you think. Sure us Indiana fans love him but I doubt many others do.

Jose Slaughter
06-23-2006, 03:30 PM
The player Bird most likely will be targeting will be a high basketball IQ, low knuckleheadedness (new word alert) college player with at least 3 years of experience.

I hope its Redick.

JJ & Peja on the wings & JO down low..... sweet

Steve McQueen
06-23-2006, 03:36 PM
Where I disagree with c.c.s.f is in that Drazen was Reggie's equal. Sure they put up similar numbers, but guys like Mitch Richmond and Glen Rice were also putting up even better numbers. Where Reggie seperated himself from those guys was in the playoffs, where superstars are made. Drazen never proved he could lead a team anywhere in the playoffs, so outside of in Europe, he's most remembered for his tragic death than his actual game.

I don't think J.J. will be as good as Drazen, and certainly not a future HOF like Reggie, but I do think he'll be a good NBA starter, capable of scoring 15-20 a game on great shooting percentages.

Trader Joe
06-23-2006, 03:39 PM
The player Bird most likely will be targeting will be a high basketball IQ, low knuckleheadedness (new word alert) college player with at least 3 years of experience.

I hope its Redick.

If thats true and Bird believes it then JJ is a no go. DUI.

circlecitysportsfan
06-23-2006, 03:45 PM
You said Reggie was Drazen's equal. You were putting them on the same level. It's too early to say anyone could score 23 a game for 10 years. JJ has just as good a chance as anyone.

I said Reggie was Drazen's equal, however I was not putting JJ in that catagory. I wasn't thinking about him while I typed that. I'm just fascinated to know why people think this kid is going to be THAT good. I didn't see anything extra special about him at all. I don't want him as a Pacer, if he comes here I'll have no problem cheering for him. I'm just not expecting much.

Robertmto
06-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Reggie > Drazen >> JJ

Jon Theodore
06-23-2006, 04:40 PM
How can people not be high on Reddick, yet everyone MYSELF included were so high on Sarunas when he came here. I'm pretty sure Reddick will be the player we all hoped Sarunas would be (minus the passing skills).

Having TWO guys like Peja and Reddick who are perimeter threats would work wonders for Jermaine. If we are supposively building around Jermaine, you all better count on us drafting Reddick if he's available.

You all are in denial, Bird likes shooters.

ChicagoJ
06-23-2006, 04:47 PM
I like seeing the n00bies duke it out. Good fun.

:lurk:

Slick Pinkham
06-23-2006, 04:57 PM
I don't think Redick will be a Hall-of-Famer, or an all-star, but I do expect him to have a 10+ year career with tons of clutch shots and generally performing at a Jeff Hornacek/Danny Ainge level.

That would be a steal with the #17 pick.

FrenchConnection
06-23-2006, 04:59 PM
I don't think Redick will be a Hall-of-Famer, or an all-star, but I do expect him to have a 10+ year career with tons of clutch shots and generally performing at a Jeff Hornacek/Danny Ainge level.

I don't think that there will be a single all-star in this draft, so a solid contributor with a really good shot would be great at the #17.

Kaufman
06-23-2006, 05:02 PM
I don't think that there will be a single all-star in this draft, so a solid contributor with a really good shot would be great at the #17.

OH I don't know about that - I think Shelden Williams and Aldridge will be pretty good players...

Leisure Suit Larry
06-23-2006, 05:11 PM
OH I don't know about that - I think Shelden Williams and Aldridge will be pretty good players...

Marco Killingsworth shut down Shelden Williams

bulletproof
06-23-2006, 05:12 PM
To quote William Goldman, "Nobody in this town knows nothing."

FrenchConnection
06-23-2006, 05:15 PM

I didn't say that they would not be good, I just said that they would not be all-stars. I do think that Sheldon Williams will be a good player in the league, but in a good draft he would be mid first round pick tops. He does have the potential to be a DPOY, but he is a bit of a stiff, especailly on the offensive end. I don't think that he will adjust well to not being one of the bigger players on the floor. Aldridge will be exposed as being a bit soft. If the Raps pick him, they will have two bigs that do not want to get dirty or pushed. That's bad. If you have a Jermaine O'Neal type, you need someone like Foster who is willing to take a shot in the ribs to get a rebound.

Don't get me wrong, I really like both of these players, but I think that if they came out next year they would be mid first round picks. What happens is that we compare the draft prospects against each other and when they are weak as a group, their potential gets inflated.

Pacersfan.
06-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Here's the transcript...Unclebuck did a good job in covering most all of it.
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/bird_transcript_060623.html

Bird Discusses Draft With Media

On Friday, June 23, Larry Bird met with members of the local media to discuss the Pacers' plans for next Wednesday's NBA Draft. What follows is a transcript of that question-and-answer session in Conseco Fieldhouse.

Q. How would you characterize this year's draft?

A. I don't know if there's really a clear-cut number-one pick. There's a lot of good players up there, obviously. I think the draft's pretty deep. There's a lot of players taken in the second round that's going to make our league. I think there's a few of them. There's a lot of talent. There really is.

Q. How is this draft different without the presence of high school players?

A. I don't know. To me, it's better that they're not in there. I don't know how much it changes it. There's a lot of talent in this draft without the high school kids.

Q. Is there a specific position you're looking for at No. 17?

A. Not really. It's just according to who falls to us, really. It could be a big guy, we need help in the backcourt, we need help in the frontcourt. We'll just see how it develops. We sort of know the group of guys that are coming to us, unless somebody falls and we like them better. It'll be up to us to take the best player available.

Q. With the uncertainty of (potential free agent) Fred (Jones) at shooting guard, is that a concern in case you lose him and Stephen (Jackson) is the only thing left at (shooting guard)?

A. It's a concern but we want to re-sign Freddie. We want to re-sign all the guys. We'll see how the draft goes. We'll take the best player available whether it's a two-guard, a point guard or a big man whatever we think is best.

Q. When we talked last, you mentioned there was a guy you had your eye on that you were hoping would be available. Do you still have the same mindset about a particular player?

A. Yes.

Q. Are you very confident ?

A. That he'll be there? I don't know. We're at 17. Right now, we're not thinking about moving up. There's a lot of conversations going on right now. I'll be happy if my man falls to us. I know he's a very talented young man. He could get taken up there pretty high, or he could be at 17.

Q. Have you noticed less or more willingness among teams talking about trading up or down?

A. There's a lot of people talking about trading up and there's a lot of people talking about moving back, especially the top picks. Some of them think they can get their guy going from two to eight. Some guys (around) eight want to move up to the top to get the player they like.

Q. Are you looking for someone that can help now or someone to develop?

A. We always like to get help. These young kids coming in, it's going to take time. Last year I thought it was going to take Danny (Granger) till the All-Star break to be able to help us. Hopefully, this year we can get a player that can help us around the All-Star break, start playing more minutes and being a factor.

Q. Who is this guy you like so much? What are his initials?

A. He's a basketball player.

Q. Is Danny more of an anomaly, the way he fell so far? Is it the exception more than the rule when you can get a guy with that kind of talent?

A. I can remember being in the draft with Paul Pierce. I thought he was going to be taken No. 2 and he fell to 10 or 11, I think it was. Usually, if you go into a draft and you need a position, a lot of teams will draft that position instead of really taking probably the best player available. It's not a situation we want to be in. For guys to fall, like Danny, he had the knee thing and everybody was a little scared. But hopefully this year we'll get another one. Where we're at, we'd like to be a little higher to be guaranteed to get who we wanted. But we'll wait and see and hopefully we'll get who we like.

Q. Are you comfortable with 17 or do you have a target you'd like to try to move up to? Or to move back?

A. Well, 17 is in the middle. I would always like to be a little further up, no question.

Q. You've talked about the need for changes with the team this summer. Do you see the draft as a mechanism for doing that? Is there much conversation about packaging things?

A. Throughout the league there's a lot of talk about taking a player and your pick and moving up. We're not at that stage yet. But we'll look at everything, see what's best for our team and try to do it.

Q. Is it safe to assume the Toronto rumor (involving Jermaine O'Neal and the No. 1 pick in a widely reported package deal) is hogwash?

A. Yes. Rumors are rumors but when you take your best player and they've got him out there, it's not something we like. But it is what it is.

Q. How much of a factor will a player's personality or fit with the team be a factor, based on the things that have happened the last couple of years?

A. You always try to get quality guys through the draft. I think we did that the last two years. We want to get a good player and hopefully the kid will come in here and do the things that's necessary to get better and our fans will like him. That's the most important thing.

Q. You have drafted experience, with players with at least three years in college the last three drafts. Is that a trend you'd like to maintain or are you willing to make an exception for the right player?

A. You'll make the exception but you always like to get kids that's been in college for awhile and have got a little maturity on them. The last couple of years, that's what we've done and this year we'll probably do the same thing.

Q. Do you enjoy the draft process?

A. It's a long process. It starts in the wintertime. But I enjoy it. In this league, around this time, there's a lot of activity and it makes your days go faster.

Q. Is the draft the most important tool for building a team or in this era is free agency just as important?

A. I think it's a combination of both. I would just hate to blow up a team and build through the draft. That's tough to do.

Q. Where does Rick (Carlisle) fall right now? Is that something that happens after the draft, locking him in?

A. It'll happen after the draft. There's a lot going on right now and we've had some conversations with Rick. He's still under contract, so we'll just move forward.

Q. Would you like to get an extension done before this season?

A. We're going to be talking this summer and see what happens. I'm sure he would like his extension. We'll talk about it. It's not that we're not going to give it to him, it's that we have to sit down with our owners and see what direction we want to go.

Q. When you draft in the second round, is there an art to it? Do you go with the best player available or do you look and see how the guy fits into the team? How do you guys approach the second round?

A. There's some good players in the second round this year. With the 45th pick, hopefully, and I know I've got to talk with the scouts, but I've got a guy in my mind for the 45th pick, also. The second round's tougher than the first round. I know the group of guys that'll probably come to us unless somebody slides. When you get into the 40s, you're talking about a lot of players and a lot of guys you have to know a lot about.

Q. How much will the NBDL and having the opportunity to send a guy down and play instead of sitting on the bench affect things in the second round?

A. I don't know. I would love to support the league but I also want our players here and to be available for us. If you have to send him down for a couple of games, three or four games, to get him some experience, it's a great tool. It's something we haven't used but we probably will in the future.

Q. How much effort do the Pacers put into international scouting?

A. Not as much as we should because it's a big area but we cover it pretty well. We know the top players. (Andrea) Bargnani, I've seen him play last winter. (Thabo) Sefolosha, I've seen him play. I've seen a lot of the guys play but just seeing them for a couple of games is not like being over there and really getting a great feel for them. It's a big area and it's hard to cover.

Q. As you prioritize your needs, at least in terms of the draft, do you look for a position or a skill set?

A. Skill. I'd like to get somebody who can come in here and play right away. I don't necessarily like to let a guy sit there for two years, then get an opportunity. Hopefully we can get a player who can come in here and, over time, be able to step in and help us.

Q. Would you seriously look at taking a point guard, considering that you have three guys under contract right now?

A. If we felt he was the best player available, we probably would, or if we feel he's better than what we think we have.

Q. Is the group of international players this year typical? Or is it better or worse as a group?

A. Two or three of them are pretty good players. The way I see the draft, there's probably three or four guys from Europe that'll be in the first round. Next year there'll be a stronger European draft.

Q. You mentioned the depth that's out there. But is there a team-changing franchise player out there?

A. I don't know. If you look at the top picks, and you're talking about Adam Morrison, which I think is a very fine player, and Tyrus Thomas and Randy Foye and them guys, they're very good basketball players. You just have to see how they develop in the league.

Q. I was curious for your reaction to what's going on with the Knicks and Isiah (Thomas) getting back into coaching.

A. This is a draft meeting. I haven't really paid attention to what New York's doing. I did hear today that Isiah's taking over and I wish him all the luck in the world. It's a tough situation but I wish him well.

Q. Could you imagine that scenario, personally, going back from what you've been doing into coaching?

A. Me? No, I couldn't imagine that. That'd be tough.

Q. What are your thoughts on (Indianapolis native) Rodney Carney as a player and do you think there's a chance he might be available at 17?

A. He's a very good player, there's no question. He's a kid that needs to get out on the break and run. The way I look at it, he'd be great for Phoenix or Dallas because he's a wing player that runs. He can shoot it, attack the rim, he's got a vertical jump around 35 or 40 inches. The way we play, I don't know if he'd be a good fit here, but I do like him as a player. He's somebody that could be there and you have to take a look because he's athletic and very skilled.

Q. Do you see anybody on the local scene that has a shot?

A. (Indianapolis high school star and Ohio State recruit Greg) Oden. Obviously, Carney's from here and he's got a shot. When I look at a player, I don't say, 'He's from Indiana.' Carney's a good player, there's no question about it.

Q. What about Marco Killingsworth?

A. Killingsworth will probably be a second-round pick. He's undersized for his position but he's crafty, smart. I look for him to go in the second round.

Q. I know this is hypothetical but if Oden could be in this draft, would he be the No. 1 pick?

A. No question, based on talent and potential. He's had success everywhere he's been. There's no question he'd be the No. 1 pick.

Q. Where is (2005 second-round pick Erazem) Lorbek in terms of his development? How far away is he from being able to be here?

A. He's under contract for one more year and we'll follow him very closely this year. Then we'll sit down with him and make a decision on what he wants to do and what our plans are.

Q. Do you expect him to stay in Europe one more year?

A. Yes.

Q. The group of players that you think might be available to you, is it kind of like it was last year? Is it stronger group? Or is it even possible to make that comparison?

A. It's hard to tell because if somebody falls. The way the draft is going now, and we're still a long way away, everybody's set on who they're going to take, it seems like. Now if somebody switches and takes somebody else's player it could change the whole draft. But the group of guys coming to us are good players, there's no question.

Q. Last year at this time, was Danny Granger even in your conversation?

A. No. We brought Danny in and worked him out and I can remember telling Donnie, 'We don't need to see him.' We brought some good players in, but he was just a lot better.

Q. There's a lot of discussion, at least among the Internet draft analyst types, that (Duke's J.J.) Redick's back injury has got him sliding? Is that reality? Is the he really sliding? How severe is the injury? Could he be sitting there when the Pacers pick?

A. There's a possibility he could be there. Going through all the back problems I had, it's something you've got to be aware of, there's no question.

Q. On your list of priorities, where does character fit in?

A. Pretty high. Talent is talent but you also like to draft guys, bring guys in here, that are going to get along, our fans are going to like, are out in our community doing things. It means a lot, no question about it, especially here in Indiana. This is a basketball state and they want their players to play hard, they want them out in the communities, they want them doing the right things. When we draft, we take all of that into consideration and try to get the best player we possibly can.

Q. I know you don't want to identify the guy you have your eye on but is this somebody you think is not generally well-known to everyone else?

A. No, he's well-known. You know him. There's not just one guy. But this particular player, I've followed him all year so I know him. I know the other ones, too, but I like this one.

Q. What do you like about him?

A. His ability. He's a good kid and he's going to be a good player.

Q. What does he do best on the court?

A. A little bit of everything.

Q. What's his phone number?

A. You're not going to hear it because I haven't told anybody. Donnie (Walsh) don't know, the scouts don't know. But what you do, you listen to your scouts, they'll give you their recommendations, we'll talk about it, then we'll go from there. They're involved, they're really involved. Once I start talking about who I like, at the end, if they're all disagreeing with me I'll probably forget about it and go with them.

Q. How many players do you think you'll have in for workouts before it's all over?

A. We've probably had 20, I would think. Orlando really helped us because a lot of the guys in the second round were there.

Q. This year seems to be a little unusual in that you see guys like an Alex Johnson (of Florida State) projected at 18 here but 45 there. Guys are kind of all over the board once you get past the first 14 or 15. Does that mean this is a draft where you just kind of see your fit, your guy, your projection?

A. Yes. Like I said, anywhere from 20 to 45, there's a lot of good players. Somebody might like Alexander Johnson better than Killingsworth and they're going to find out Marco might turn out to be a better player. I think they're a little up in the air because there's so many players that had great careers and have a chance to play in this league. Somebody's going to get a steal of the draft, probably in the second round.

Q. As you look back on second-round picks who have made it big, is there a theme? Is there some constant you can point to?

A. Not really. You would think you've done your homework but when you see (Gilbert) Arenas go in the second round, Josh Howard going, what, 29? I can remember when I wasn't even involved in the draft, Red Auerbach told me about Joe Johnson and he goes, 'How can he not be a good player? In college he did this and this against tough competition every night.' It was the same with Josh Howard. Against the ACC, he was a very good player, they just didn't know what position he played. I don't think it matters, anymore. If he's an undersized four, if he's a good player, you take him. If he's real good, you get guys around him. That's what Phoenix is doing, that's the way Dallas has done it. The game's changed.

Q. Do you like the fact, with Dallas in the Finals and Miami scoring a little bit more, the game is turning, the trend is turning back toward a freer game?

A. I like to push it. I don't want to get crazy with it. You have to be able to play both ways, halfcourt and run on every opportunity you get to try to get some easy baskets, get the ball down before the shot clock turns to 14. You've got to have 18, 19 seconds on the clock before you start running your plays. Obviously, as a basketball fan I like the European game because it's free-flowing and there's not a lot of timeouts and it's interesting. I can't say I love how Phoenix plays but it's enjoyable to watch.

Q. On draft night, how many are involved in the decision-making process?

A. There'll probably he seven guys.

Q. Is Rick (Carlisle) in there?

A. No. Rick is just now getting into it and he talks about the players and he's watching a lot of tape. The thing about coaches in this league, they don't have time to watch these guys play their games in college. It's like a refresher course for him coming in and we're throwing all this stuff at him. But actually being involved in the pick, no. Now, if he said he wanted a two-guard or a point guard, you might listen to that. But as far as having a say of who we're drafting, no, because he hasn't spent the time watching these guys like the scouts have.

Q. Would you say there's a particular position that's stronger than the others in this draft, or a particular type of player?

A. There's lot of good threes and a lot of good twos. The big men, other than (LaMarcus) Aldridge (of Texas) and a couple other guys the threes and twos are probably stronger than anyone else.

Q. Is this a good year to have a really high pick? It seems like there's no Dwight Howard.

A. You always want a top pick but you don't want to have a bad year to get it. There's some guys that are going to go like No. 8, there's some people trying to move up into that area because they feel them players are going to be good players. I do, too. I think it's a can't-miss, the top eight. They're all going to be very good players.

NuffSaid
06-23-2006, 05:21 PM
By the way it is on the front page of http://www.wthr.com/
You can also find the press conference at CBS.Sportsline.com (http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/cbs.sportsline.com)

Nothing too Earth shattering...Bird is still holding his desired draft pick close to the vest as always. Tons or prospects, but he gave little hint, if any, as to who he wants, but you can be pretty sure it will either be a Guard or a Forward. My guess is he'll try and get that Guard from Spain, Sergio Rodriguez.

I assumed mgmt would wait until after the draft before going to work on RC's contract extention. It stands to reason they'll wait until then before dealing with their FA's also. Makes perfect sense to me. Why pay out the $$$ when you may not have to? You just might luck out and find that raw talent in the draft or do a pre-draft trade and get the kind of talent you seek including better positioning yourself in the draft to add more talent. One never knows...

Anyway, nothing too spellbounding.

Steve McQueen
06-23-2006, 05:25 PM
I don't understand why people doubt Shelden Williams. The guy dominated in college and is built like a brick ****house. To me, he's a more skilled Carlos Boozer without the injuries or questionable ethics.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-23-2006, 05:35 PM
I don't understand why people doubt Shelden Williams. The guy dominated in college and is built like a brick ****house. To me, he's a more skilled Carlos Boozer without the injuries or questionable ethics.

oh come on Boozer's trash

PacerMan
06-23-2006, 05:50 PM

-Bball

I'm not saying he couldn't be replaced, just that with the chaos surrounding the OTHER guards, he seems to be the model of stability. If we resign Peja we aren't going to have a lot of money to upgrade from Freddie.

I'd put Hornacek a clear couple of steps above Ainge who was servicable with the lineup they had. Hornacek was an all star wasn't he?

Steve McQueen
06-23-2006, 06:05 PM
oh come on Boozer's trash
He's a great rebounder and one of the most efficient scorers in the league. How is that trash?

Bball
06-23-2006, 06:18 PM
I find the transcript of the press conference interesting. I'm not exactly sure what to make of some comments and I am curious to see what others take away from it.

_Bball

blanket
06-23-2006, 06:22 PM
I find the transcript of the press conference interesting. I'm not exactly sure what to make of some comments and I am curious to see what others take away from it.

_Bball

I don't have a good read on it either.

When he says that the player he has his eye on can do "a little bit of everything," I don't know if I should think he's talking about Ronnie Brewer or just being vague and evasive...

Trader Joe
06-23-2006, 06:45 PM
Well was it Larry talking the whole time or did Donnie answer some of those questions too?

Doug
06-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Well was it Larry talking the whole time or did Donnie answer some of those questions too?

Donnie didn't say anything, but you could see his lips move when Larry talked.

I kid, I kid.

I don't know what to make of the comments in the transcript either. There were certainly some things that raise some eyebrows, but I'm too tired to worry about it right now.

As for Reddick, I think he'll be a decent pro - and early on I wanted the best shooter available, which Reddick surely will be IF he's around when we pick. But right now I'm in a "want quickness at the guard spot" funk.

But it probably doesn't matter much since I think Reddick will be gone before we pick.

Putnam
06-23-2006, 10:23 PM
What does anyone make of this:

Q. Where does Rick (Carlisle) fall right now? Is that something that happens after the draft, locking him in?

A. It'll happen after the draft. There's a lot going on right now and we've had some conversations with Rick. He's still under contract, so we'll just move forward.

A. We're going to be talking this summer and see what happens. I'm sure he would like his extension. We'll talk about it. It's not that we're not going to give it to him, it's that we have to sit down with our owners and see what direction we want to go.

Does "what direction we want to go" incliude the possibility of cutting Carlyle loose? Does the necessity to involve the owners suggest the notion of paying Carlyle off and getting a new head coach? Or does the response to the first question amount to a promise/guarantee that Carlyle will be resigned? Or does it all mean something different, or nothing at all?

Unclebuck
06-23-2006, 10:29 PM
Does "what direction we want to go" incliude the possibility of cutting Carlyle loose? Does the necessity to involve the owners suggest the notion of paying Carlyle off and getting a new head coach? Or does the response to the first question amount to a promise/guarantee that Carlyle will be resigned? Or does it all mean something different, or nothing at all?

I think that means whether to give him an extension or just let him go into the season on the last year of his contract.

If they were going to let Rick go, I think they would have done so by now.

But I could be wrong

Bball
06-23-2006, 11:02 PM
What does anyone make of this:

The first part seems to be saying that since he's still under contract, there's no need to rush or move the contract talks up any. There are issues the team consider more important right now.

The second part is just confusing to me. It doesn't sound like a vote of confidence... it sounds like there is a lack of confidence in Carlisle. Whether that is a signal he won't be back this season, or a signal there's a major question about desire to have him back for a 5th season, I don't know.

Speculation....
It almost sounds like a deadman walking scenario is a possibility. Someone doesn't have confidence in him, yet the owners don't want to pay two coaches and so he's on track to coach this coming season (basically by default). OTOH, someone in the organization is pretty sure Carlisle has worn out his welcome and won't do much in 06-07 so isn't ready to extend him and put the owners into a situation where they'd just have to pay two coaches in 07-08 instead of this coming season.

-Bball

Anthem
06-23-2006, 11:08 PM
How can people not be high on Reddick, yet everyone MYSELF included were so high on Sarunas when he came here. I'm pretty sure Reddick will be the player we all hoped Sarunas would be (minus the passing skills).
That's like saying "our new two guard is just like Reggie, minus the shooting."

circlecitysportsfan
06-23-2006, 11:48 PM

I was not high on Saras at all. However, I assumed he would atleast be better than AJ....:laugh: oops... I guess Larry can just keep signing and drafting pure shooters untill he gets it right. Who's the most overrated one trick pony for 07?

Young
06-24-2006, 12:31 AM
So this prospect Bird wants is "well known and does a little bit of everything.

Ronnie Brewer and Randy Foye comes to mind. It could also be Thabo, but he is not well known.

Here is the guy that Bird could be talking about and his name hasn't really been mentioned much, Mariuce Ager. He would make a very nice pick, IMO although he isn't the guy I perfere.

CableKC
06-24-2006, 03:41 AM
But it probably doesn't matter much since I think Reddick will be gone before we pick.

We can only hope.....:rolleyes:

I was thinking about it and realized that if the Pacers REALLY want to move up to the top 10 in order to draft someone.......they can do a S&T of Peja to either Minny ( for the 6th pick ) or the Warriors ( for the 9th pick ).

Of the top 10....they are the only teams that are desperate to get back to the Playoffs and have a need for a player like Peja. The Warriors need an upgrade at the SF spot...and the TWolves need a very solid 2nd option on the team to prove to KG that they are serious and want to keep him.

Peja may disappear during the Playoffs.....but he's a regular season player that can still shoot the lights out and one the best 3-pt shooter in the league. He clearly has some recognized value.....but my concern is that he will be too expensive to resign ( and therefore financially tie us much like Croshere did )....has some injury concerns...and most of all.....stands in front of Granger ( if we hold on to the belief that he's better suited to play the SF spot ).

Will Galen
06-24-2006, 05:21 AM
I was thinking about it and realized that if the Pacers REALLY want to move up to the top 10 in order to draft someone.......they can do a S&T of Peja to either Minny ( for the 6th pick ) or the Warriors ( for the 9th pick ).

Go to bed you're not thinking. The draft is next Wed. We can't sign Peja until July 14th I think it is. That is if he opts out.

Kegboy
06-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Drazen was great. Somebody said in the last year he was their toughest cover. Might have been Reggie, I don't remember.

And for the record, JJ's ceiling is Dale Ellis. And Adam Morrison's is Glen Rice.

PacerMan
06-24-2006, 10:49 AM
The first part seems to be saying that since he's still under contract, there's no need to rush or move the contract talks up any. There are issues the team consider more important right now.

The second part is just confusing to me. It doesn't sound like a vote of confidence... it sounds like there is a lack of confidence in Carlisle. Whether that is a signal he won't be back this season, or a signal there's a major question about desire to have him back for a 5th season, I don't know.

Speculation....
It almost sounds like a deadman walking scenario is a possibility. Someone doesn't have confidence in him, yet the owners don't want to pay two coaches and so he's on track to coach this coming season (basically by default). OTOH, someone in the organization is pretty sure Carlisle has worn out his welcome and won't do much in 06-07 so isn't ready to extend him and put the owners into a situation where they'd just have to pay two coaches in 07-08 instead of this coming season.

-Bball

I think it means he's on a very short leash.

Unclebuck
06-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Free agent signing period begins July 12th

Chauncey
06-24-2006, 11:54 AM
I'll throw this in here because its not terribly important..but word is that the Knicks have made a promise to Shawne Williams

Bball
06-24-2006, 12:06 PM
I think it means he's on a very short leash.

Do you think they'll actually spell out a way they want the team to play and give him an 'our way or the highway' ultimatum? Or do you think he can coach how he wants but he'd better get results and there's no benefit of the doubt or excuses allowed?

Or do you think there will be a strong suggestion on how they want the team playing and player roles and he can take it or not... but that leash could turn into a noose if he doesn't take it and hits a bump in the road?

-Bball

circlecitysportsfan
06-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Drazen was great. Somebody said in the last year he was their toughest cover. Might have been Reggie, I don't remember.

And for the record, JJ's ceiling is Dale Ellis. And Adam Morrison's is Glen Rice.

Then they should both be top 5 picks. Especially in this draft.

Jose Slaughter
06-24-2006, 03:34 PM

I hope its Redick.

Q. How much of a factor will a player's personality or fit with the team be a factor, based on the things that have happened the last couple of years?

A. You always try to get quality guys through the draft. I think we did that the last two years. We want to get a good player and hopefully the kid will come in here and do the things that's necessary to get better and our fans will like him. That's the most important thing.

Q. You have drafted experience, with players with at least three years in college the last three drafts. Is that a trend you'd like to maintain or are you willing to make an exception for the right player?

A. You'll make the exception but you always like to get kids that's been in college for awhile and have got a little maturity on them. The last couple of years, that's what we've done and this year we'll probably do the same thing.

So, Larry & I are on the same page.

Kegboy
06-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Also, I think Rondo is Bird's mystery player. Not that we'll ever know, whomever we draft he'll probably say was his guy.

Jose Slaughter
06-24-2006, 03:48 PM
To quote William Goldman, "Nobody in this town knows nothing."

Can you enlighten us?

Sollozzo
06-24-2006, 04:58 PM

In Reggie's book, "I love being the enemy", he says something like Petrovic had the quickest release in the game and that he was always annoyed by him because there was no way to defend the lightening fast release.

I'll try and dig the book out later to get the exact quotes.

If Morrison has a career similar to that of Rice's, I'd say that's pretty good.

Anthem
06-24-2006, 07:05 PM
You know, the last player you talked that much smack about was Darko.

Just wanted to point that out.

Robertmto
06-24-2006, 10:59 PM
You know, the last player you talked that much smack about was Darko.

Just wanted to point that out.

Whats wrong with Darko?? The second half of the season with Orlando might as well have been his rookie year. He didn't play in Detroit, because Larry Brown's a :censored: idiot. He averaged 8 and 4 with the Magic and was a beast blocking shots with a little over 2 a game. He will continue to grow alongside Dwight Howard. MAGIC IN 07!!!

EDIT: He had 5 blocks against your beloved Pacers.

Kaufman
06-24-2006, 11:20 PM
Also, I think Rondo is Bird's mystery player. Not that we'll ever know, whomever we draft he'll probably say was his guy.

I'm going to tell you, I'd be shocked out of my mind if Rajon is there at 17... doesn't mean to say it won't happen but I'll be shocked. Seems to be TOOO much interest up top...

bulletproof
06-24-2006, 11:44 PM
Can you enlighten us?

Just generally speaking with regard to someone's comment that no one in this draft will become an all-star.

CableKC
06-25-2006, 02:51 AM
Go to bed you're not thinking. The draft is next Wed. We can't sign Peja until July 14th I think it is. That is if he opts out.

I always forget about that.....but there's nothing to say that there isn't a possibility of a "pre-arranged" agreement that wouldn't put such a deal in place.

vapacersfan
06-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Whats wrong with Darko?? The second half of the season with Orlando might as well have been his rookie year. He didn't play in Detroit, because Larry Brown's a :censored: idiot. He averaged 8 and 4 with the Magic and was a beast blocking shots with a little over 2 a game. He will continue to grow alongside Dwight Howard. MAGIC IN 07!!!

EDIT: He had 5 blocks against your beloved Pacers.

What the hell does that matter.

Plenty of scrubs have had good games against the Pacers, hell, just go look at PD when I was a lurker and not a member. It was almost comical how I could predict before a Pacers game when Isiah was the coach which scrub would have a big game against us. I think some members even made threads about which scrub would have a break out game towards the end of Isiahs career.

And the Magic will be good in the future, but they will not be title contenders in 07.