PDA

View Full Version : Larry Brown

Kaufman
06-22-2006, 08:11 PM
OK I know I've been actively supportive of Larry Brown coming back to Indiana.

My question is this - does anyone secretly want Larry Brown to come back besides myself?

I know lots of people raise the fact that bridges were burned, etc, etc..., but lets just leave that out.
-Forget that the Simons or DW might have some bad blood for Larry Brown *which I don't think is the case - I think he left here amicably.

-Forget the concept that there might be too many egos for Donnie, Larry and Larry.

- Forget the health issues.

I just want to know how many people think he could come here and rescue us.

PS - I would make this into a poll but I don't know how to make polls. That said, if anyone admin feels so inclined, please feel free to exercise your artistic creativities...

Roaming Gnome
06-22-2006, 08:14 PM
I remember how he "gave up" his last year here....
I'm sorry, the Pacers don't need to be another team scratching LB a check!

Bball
06-22-2006, 08:16 PM
Do I wonder "What if...?"

Yes I do.

-Bball

Anthem
06-22-2006, 08:43 PM
Nope.

Pacersfan46
06-22-2006, 08:49 PM
I'm not sure it's what I'd want, but I do think it would be interesting.

I wouldn't pay a lot for him either, if I'm the Simons. The last 3 teams he's walked away from, he still had a large amount left on his contract. He's made a mint doing nothing essentially.

I was trying to think of a team I think he'd be a great fit for right now, and I can't come up with one.

sweabs
06-22-2006, 08:59 PM
If we had the right kind of players, I think I'd be open to the idea. But the roster as currently assembled is not going to miraculously become a 60-win team under Larry Brown. He's a very particular coach, in that he like his players to be a certain way, and play a certain way as he sees things.

That is where problems would most likely to arise. From what we've heard from Larry Bird, his vision for this team does not exactly correlate with Larry Brown's ideal team.

Arcadian
06-22-2006, 11:23 PM
No, I don't want Brown. For a team that is trying to regain sanity in the lookerroom Brown is a bad choice.

pizza guy
06-23-2006, 12:03 AM
I've thought about it I guess, but I don't think he'd be welcome here. Nothing to do with the Simons, LB, or DW. The fans would not welcome the Larry Brown soap opera back to town for two reasons: 1.) he gave up on our team in his last yr, and 2.) we've had enough problems with suspensions and injuries and questionable characters over the last few years, and Brownie's headaches are not what this city/state/fanbase needs.

Young
06-23-2006, 12:07 AM
No way do I want Larry Brown here.

Him and Rick share some of the same faults, and not that I don't like Rick and nor do I feel that his faults should get him fired, Rick has seemed to have lost this team so if we replace Rick, we need a different type of coach. We are not going to get a much better xs and ox coach than Rick, he is really a top 5coach in this league IMO or pretty damn close to it.

If we get rid of Rick, I would think that the Pacers would be looking at maybe Rick Aldeman or Don Nelson or some coach who hasn't got a chance to be a head coach yet.

Peck
06-23-2006, 01:00 AM
I'd take Larry Brown in a heartbeat.

However in light of new evidence presented to me I will now say that there is no way in hell that the Pacers would bring him back.

That bridge was burned & in this case Walsh & the Simons are 100% correct.

grace
06-23-2006, 01:24 AM
I'd rather have Larry Bird back as coach before I'd want Larry Brown back.

:shudder: I can't believe I just said that. :sick:

slyder
06-23-2006, 02:15 AM
no

Steve McQueen
06-23-2006, 02:31 AM
I want a coach that presents an enjoyable up-tempo offense, yet still brings in W's.

Eindar
06-23-2006, 02:48 AM
If we're canning Rick, we need Adelman as his replacement.

Robertmto
06-23-2006, 03:05 AM
If you guys really are looking to move up in the draft, or if you even are hoping that u move up in the draft, then getting LB would make no sesne. You would have to trade vets for a draft pick to use on a rook. Larry Brown simply doesn't play roks like he should. He would not fit in here.

wintermute
06-23-2006, 08:55 AM
the responses have been negative overall, and no one has even brought up brownie's medical issues yet

i say no as well

btowncolt
06-23-2006, 09:06 AM
I need a drink.

Chauncey
06-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Traveling salesman. No thanks.

FrenchConnection
06-23-2006, 09:53 AM
I want a coach that presents an enjoyable up-tempo offense, yet still brings in W's.

Yeah, afterall this is supposed to be entertainment.

ChicagoJ
06-23-2006, 10:22 AM
I'd rather have Larry Bird back as coach before I'd want Larry Brown back.

:shudder: I can't believe I just said that. :sick:

I agree. And for three years I was a big, no, make that a HUGE Larry Brown fan. That last year - that was Hell.

I'm curious if I know what Peck is talking about... I guess we'll probably need to take that discussion offline.

Kaufman
06-23-2006, 10:27 AM
After Donnie Walsh, I think Larry Brown is the single greatest driving force this team has ever in getting us out of anonymity. Sure Larry might have given up on the team but the team also gave up on Larry.

And Larry Brown makes it clear to everyone that his style is one that wears upon the players... I think he's well aware that he only lasts 3-4 years max anywhere. I don't think another 3 years of Brown would be all that bad.

A shot in the arm.

Swingman
06-23-2006, 10:35 AM
I'd have to seriously consider not being a Pacer fan anymore if they made Larry Brown our coach again.

I'd be extremely happy if Larry Brown was shunned by the NBA and never offered another coaching job.

Chauncey
06-23-2006, 11:04 AM
I'd be extremely happy if Larry Brown was shunned by the NBA and never offered another coaching job.

Agree 100%

Tim
06-23-2006, 11:05 AM
If we had a bunch of young talent, say like Granger and Harrison plus others learning their way, then I would want him back. But I don't see Tins, Jack, Cabbage, Peja and AJ meshing well with Brown long term.

If Brown is brought back then Peja must not be resigned, Tins, AJ, Peja and Jack moved. He would have to move Jo too, not because he would be a problem I think he would get along fine, it will take JO to get Tins and Jack traded.

Kaufman
06-23-2006, 11:05 AM
WHY??? WHY the hate people?? WHY??

Hicks
06-23-2006, 11:20 AM
I agree with Michael Wilbon; he'll probably look into the Bobcats.

WHY??? WHY the hate people?? WHY??

He's earned it.

Gyron
06-23-2006, 11:29 AM
I'm guessing that he'll end up in Charlotte. I've heard several rumors down here.....Of course they are just that though, just rumors, so....

But NO I do not want him on the pacers bench this year. FI he was ever to come back to the pacers. I want all of the medical issues gone. His time off the bench if he was effective could severely impact this fickle team.

Putnam
06-23-2006, 11:47 AM
If we had a bunch of young talent, say like Granger and Harrison plus others learning their way, then I would want him back. But I don't see Tins, Jack, Cabbage, Peja and AJ meshing well with Brown long term.

If Brown is brought back then Peja must not be resigned, Tins, AJ, Peja and Jack moved. He would have to move Jo too, not because he would be a problem I think he would get along fine, it will take JO to get Tins and Jack traded.

This makes sense. I don't want Brown back at all, but this would be the scenario that would make re-hiring him at least somewhat beneficial to the team. But TPTB are unlikely to make this many personnel changes, so the bottom line is: Brown is not the coach we need or want.

Mourning
06-23-2006, 11:51 AM
I don't want Brown. He doesn't fit with our team at all. He won't play our younger players (nearly enough) and he won't be able to mash with the veterans that we have.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Bball
06-23-2006, 12:24 PM
I don't want Brown. He doesn't fit with our team at all. He won't play our younger players (nearly enough) and he won't be able to mash with the veterans that we have.

Regards,

If you change the name in the above from Brown to Carlisle, does anything else written above need changed at this point?

-Bball

Stryder
06-23-2006, 12:36 PM
OK I know I've been actively supportive of Larry Brown coming back to Indiana.

My question is this - does anyone secretly want Larry Brown to come back besides myself?

I know lots of people raise the fact that bridges were burned, etc, etc..., but lets just leave that out.
-Forget that the Simons or DW might have some bad blood for Larry Brown *which I don't think is the case - I think he left here amicably.

-Forget the concept that there might be too many egos for Donnie, Larry and Larry.

- Forget the health issues.

I just want to know how many people think he could come here and rescue us.

PS - I would make this into a poll but I don't know how to make polls. That said, if anyone admin feels so inclined, please feel free to exercise your artistic creativities...

The problem is that you cannot separate Larry Brown from his health issues or his burnt bridges with Management.

Kaufman
06-23-2006, 12:38 PM
How do you know he burned bridges with management? What proof do you have of that?

I'm obviously the only one on my bandwagon for Larry so I'm gonna wave the flag of surrenderment.

Hicks
06-23-2006, 12:41 PM
He's done that with Indiana, he did it with Detroit, and New York clearly didn't love him either professionally.

Fool
06-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Charred cinders?

Robertmto
06-23-2006, 06:55 PM
I don't want Brown. He doesn't fit with our team at all. He won't play Saras (nearly enough) and he won't be able to mash with the veterans that we have.

Regards,

fixed

bulletproof
06-23-2006, 07:22 PM
How do you know he burned bridges with management? What proof do you have of that?

I didn't want to have to show you this, but since you asked...

http://www.strangedangers.com/images/content/6127.jpg

N8R
06-24-2006, 01:49 AM
Did anyone see the report on yahoo that the knicks are trying to get out paying Brown his full contract for interview he did outside of the team policy with having a PR person there.

Knicks say Brown violated policy with roadside interviews

By BRIAN MAHONEY, AP Basketball Writer
June 23, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Knicks contend Larry Brown broke Madison Square Garden policy with his roadside interviews, a decision the team believes could wind up saving them millions.

The Knicks fired Brown on Thursday after one season as their coach and replaced him with team president and general manager Isiah Thomas. Brown has four years and a reported $40 million left on his contract, but the Knicks say the Hall of Fame coach is not entitled to all of it because of his disregard for team policy.

Since James Dolan became owner of the Knicks and Rangers, Madison Square Garden policy specifies that any interviews must be done with a public relations official present -- with no exceptions, according to a person familiar with the policy, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because this matter has not been resolved.

After reports surfaced in May that Dolan was considering buying out Brown's contract, the Knicks made neither Brown nor Thomas available after they worked out potential draft prospects.

Reporters soon began waiting near the entrance to the Knicks' training facility in Greenburgh, N.Y. On a few occasions, Brown pulled his car over to speak, saying during one interview he felt like a "dead man walking."

Brown's agent, Joe Glass, would not address the contention that the Hall of Fame coach was violating company rules.

"I'm not going to comment on any alleged misconduct," he said Friday. "It will be taken care of in the proper format at the proper time."

Told the Knicks are citing a specific infraction, Glass said, "We will answer all of the alleged allegations at the appropriate time at the appropriate format."

Glass, in any event, expects his client to be properly taken care of.

"I'm sure he will be," he said.

The Knicks went 23-59 -- matching the franchise record for losses in a year -- despite carrying the highest payroll in the league. Brown's criticism of Stephon Marbury and other players through the media clearly rankled Dolan. Now the coaching job belongs to Thomas, the Knicks' fifth coach in the last three years.

"I'm disappointed, I love this franchise, but I didn't do what I was paid to do," Brown said in Friday's New York Post. "I didn't do the job. I wish them well and I move on.

"I had a great opportunity. ... They feel I didn't do what I came to do. I mean, I won 23 games."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AhIg0K8IZgfrxRBFMEP04Mu8vLYF?slug=ap-knicks-brown&prov=ap&type=lgns

Kegboy
06-24-2006, 09:08 AM
Larry Brown needs to take a year off, get healthy, and get a college job. He'd win a couple titles before he was done.

grace
06-24-2006, 12:37 PM
I don't think he's ever going to be healthy as long as he still coaches.

Kegboy
06-24-2006, 01:56 PM
I don't think he's ever going to be healthy as long as he still coaches.

I don't know, take away coaching and he may just drop dead. Either that, or after two weeks he'll start pestering his wife to trade the kids for the ones down the street.

Roy Munson
06-24-2006, 02:14 PM
If you change the name in the above from Brown to Carlisle, does anything else written above need changed at this point?

-Bball

The biggest difference between Brown and Carlisle is integrity. Carlisle has it, Brown doesn't.

grace
06-24-2006, 03:27 PM
I don't know, take away coaching and he may just drop dead. Either that, or after two weeks he'll start pestering his wife to trade the kids for the ones down the street.

:spitout: That must be why she's never told him to retire. :lmao: