PDA

View Full Version : Top Draft prospects cancelling workouts with Bobcats....

Gyron
06-22-2006, 12:35 PM
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/basketball/nba/charlotte_bobcats/14873861.htm (http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/basketball/nba/charlotte_bobcats/14873861.htm)

Players cancel on the Bobcats

Aldridge, Thomas, Roy drop out of workout; Gay still set

RICK BONNELL

rbonnell@charlotteobserver.com (rbonnell@charlotteobserver.com)

http://www.charlotte.com/images/charlotte/charlotte/14727/216885382166.jpg
TOM BROWN, KRT
Drafting Connecticut's Rudy Gay (above) or Gonzaga's Adam Morrison would fill an obvious need for the Charlotte Bobcats, who are hurting for wing scoring.

<HR noShade SIZE=1><HR noShade SIZE=1><!-- begin body-content -->Either everyone in this NBA draft is injured, or no one wants to audition for the Charlotte Bobcats.
LaMarcus Aldridge, Tyrus Thomas and Brandon Roy -- three of the top six players in the draft Wednesday -- pulled out of workouts scheduled for today with the Bobcats. Coach-general manager Bernie Bickerstaff expressed frustration with the situation in an interview with the Observer on Tuesday night.
"Bottom line, we're just not happy with the way things went down,'' he said of the wave of cancellations.
So will they be rescheduled between now and the draft?
"At this point, no,'' Bickerstaff said.
That seems to suggest the Bobcats will concentrate on Connecticut's Rudy Gay or Gonzaga's Adam Morrison with the third overall pick. Those two small forwards would fill an obvious need for the Bobcats, who are hurting for wing scoring.
It appears that Texas' Aldridge and Louisiana State's Thomas -- the top two big men in this draft -- are likely to go one-two before the Bobcats select. The Chicago Bulls at No. 2 are high on Thomas and there's a good chance Aldridge, who can play either center or power forward, would go No. 1 either to the Raptors or another team in a trade.
That would leave the Bobcats with a spectrum of wing players -- Morrison, Gay or Roy. If Roy doesn't work out here, then it appears a choice between Gay -- an athletic, explosive leaper -- or Morrison -- the NCAA scoring champion last season at 28.1 points per game -- is the most likely scenario.
Gay will have a second workout for the Bobcats this afternoon, auditioning alongside Curtis Withers of the Charlotte 49ers, Nik Caner-Medley of Maryland and Brandon Bowman of Georgetown. Those other three are candidates for the Bobcats' second-round pick, 50th overall.
The Bobcats are still trying to schedule workouts with Morrison (a second look) and with Italian pro Andrea Bargnani.
A possible top pick to Toronto, Bargnani just completed the Italian playoffs and could be available to the Bobcats over the weekend.
Bickerstaff dismissed rumors that the Bobcats are looking to trade up to Toronto's No. 1 pick. That always seemed unlikely, since there should be variety of wing scorers available when the Bobcats pick third on Wednesday.
NBA Draft
When: Wednesday, 7 p.m.
TV: ESPN
Draft Party: 6:30 p.m., Charlotte Bobcats Arena, open to the public, with live telecast, appearances by players, locker room tours and more
<!-- end body-content -->

Hicks
06-22-2006, 02:41 PM
I keep forgetting the draft is Wednesday. I've had Friday (6/30) in my head for weeks.

TheLemonSong
06-22-2006, 03:41 PM
I have an inside source w/ the Bobcats who tells me that the organization really wants Adam Morrison. I think Gay or Morrison is a tough call though.

Robertmto
06-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Morrison gave his all every game, every game.

Gay was givin 100% 50% of the time.

Not a tough decision

Kegboy
06-22-2006, 03:49 PM
They pulled out cause Charlotte was going to work them out head-to-head. That certainly lowers my opinion of them.

BoomBaby31
06-22-2006, 03:50 PM
I have an inside source w/ the Bobcats who tells me that the organization really wants Adam Morrison. I think Gay or Morrison is a tough call though.

Don't believe your mothers hairstylist they never tell the truth lol.

I think 95% of the NBA wants Morrison.

BUT, do you guys blame these players not wanting to workout with the Bobcats? I mean seriously I'd rather slip in the draft then be chosen by the Bobcats.

Trader Joe
06-22-2006, 04:00 PM
Morrison and Gay make the most sense for the Cats IMO. I heard that they liked Gay more because he came from the Uconn system. Morrison makes more sense to me though.

Gyron
06-22-2006, 04:03 PM
You know the Bobcats are a poorly run organization right now, but they have a few younger guys that could really do well in a few years if they get some good experience and decent coaching.

Roy Munson
06-22-2006, 04:21 PM
They pulled out cause Charlotte was going to work them out head-to-head. That certainly lowers my opinion of them.

They worked out head-to-head in Portland.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1150435948228880.xml&coll=7

Gay determined to silence critics
Connecticut's Rudy Gay is out to show that questions about his consistency, perimeter shots and versatility are silly
Friday, June 16, 2006
JASON QUICK

Perhaps more than any other player who is expected to be drafted in the top five, Connecticut forward Rudy Gay feels he has something to prove to NBA teams.

In his mind, there are questions about his consistency, which led to stretches, and sometimes games, where he disappeared.

In his view, there are questions about his perimeter game, and about his versatility.

So when Gay on Thursday went against Gonzaga forward Adam Morrison in a workout at the Trail Blazers' Tualatin practice facility, it was with a determination to prove his critics wrong.

Twice he drove against Morrison and dunked. Later, in individual shooting drills, his long body was graceful and fluid while making a high percentage of his shots.

"The thing about this (college) season, I was doing what I was asked upon," Gay said. "We had a great team, and me taking over games wasn't needed all the time. So that's what I'm here for, to show what I didn't show (in college)."

The Blazers would not comment on individual players, but Gay certainly couldn't have hurt his standing, perhaps even gaining ground on Morrison, who seems to be gathering momentum as the draft's possible top pick.

"I think I stand OK. I think I'm up there just as much as (Morrison) is," Gay said.

Gay averaged 15.2 points this season as a sophomore on a Connecticut team that spent most of the season at or near the top of the polls. He was second-team All-America and scored in double figures in 28 of 33 games.

But for Gay's unquestioned athleticism and leaping ability, there were rumblings that he didn't compete hard every game -- a red flag for a Blazers team that struggled to give effort on a nightly basis last season.

Gay said that label is unfair.

"I have heard that a lot, but I don't think it's accurate," Gay said. "There are games when I showed emotion, and games when I didn't. It depends on the flow of the game. So people may say that, but they don't see the games where I am pounding my chest, getting the team hyped. I think with some people it's all about scoring. I can do that, but I wasn't asked upon to do it."

On Thursday, he said he wanted to accomplish three goals: show his ability to take a defender off the dribble, exhibit his outside shooting range and demonstrate his ability to play positions other than small forward.

He quickly established his ability to take Morrison off the dribble, twice beating him with a right-handed dribble that ended up in a dunk.

"That's something a lot of people don't think I can do," Gay said. "So in these workouts I think it's a great time to show things you didn't do in the season."

Morrison said Thursday he left impressed with Gay's physical skills.

"He's long, athletic and has tremendous ability," Morrison said. "I did all right against him, but like I said, he's very athletic."

Gay's outside shooting appeared solid during Thursday's workout, and he said he hoped that was the biggest impression he made.

"I don't think I shot on the perimeter as much as I could have during the season because we had to even out our shots," Gay said. "I felt like I showed that (he could make them) today."

And Gay, who said he envisions himself being able to play shooting guard and power forward in addition to small forward, said he thinks he made an impression regarding his versatility, at times guarding Washington shooting guard Brandon Roy.

"The thing I have been working on the most is my versatility," Gay said. "That's the one thing I'm going to show in the league."

Gay said he benchpressed 185 pounds nine times at the Orlando, Fla., predraft camp -- Duke forward Shelden Williams completed 25 repetitions, Texas' 6-11 LaMarcus Aldridge eight -- but that his strength shouldn't be an issue.

"I'm only 19, so I think strength will come," Gay said. "But it's also something I need to work on. I think I am strong enough now, but there will always be somebody stronger."

Maybe. But if there was on Thursday, that person was hard to find.

Jason Quick: 503-221-4372; jasonquick@news.oregonian.com. To read his and Mike Tokito's "Behind the Beat" blog, go to www.oregonlive.com/weblogs/blazersoregonian/

Gyron
06-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Whats so bad about them having to work out head to head?

I mean they played thes guys in college, and they sure as hell are gonna see each other again in the NBA. Why not get a feel for what the guys can do against their possible future opponents?

I would think you want the most data you can get on a players abilities and reactions to playing head to head against someone.

TheLemonSong
06-22-2006, 06:18 PM
Don't believe your mothers hairstylist they never tell the truth lol.

I think 95% of the NBA wants Morrison.

BUT, do you guys blame these players not wanting to workout with the Bobcats? I mean seriously I'd rather slip in the draft then be chosen by the Bobcats.
My best friend works in the front office...

95% may want Morrison but very few have a real shot at him and Charlotte does...

Also, you guys are foolish to think the Bobcats are poorly run/organized..for an expansion franchise they have done fantastic and they're just a few years away from a playoff berth...

Pacersfan46
06-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Also, you guys are foolish to think the Bobcats are poorly run/organized..for an expansion franchise they have done fantastic and they're just a few years away from a playoff berth...

I agree with you that they aren't poorly ran. They're an expansion team. What do some of you expect? They get young players, and limited resources when trying to use the salary cap money because of NBA rules imposed on them. It's obviously going to take a while.

Regardless of agreeing with you, you can say ANY team is "a few years" away from a playoff berth. Not exactly a convincing argument. lol

Kegboy
06-24-2006, 08:27 AM
The Bobcats may not sell many tickets, but their basketball ops are first rate. It was a testament how successful they were last year while dealing with a lot more injuries than we had.