PDA

View Full Version : Larry Brown FIRED! Isiah Thomas is new NY coach!

Leisure Suit Larry
06-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Poor Knicks fans....

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41030/20060622/breaking_news_larry_brown_fired_isiah_takes_over/

Slick Pinkham
06-22-2006, 10:13 AM
so I guess Larry gets all his money this way, by not agreeing to a buyout and resigning.

40 million or so?

Since86
06-22-2006, 10:16 AM
What a shame.

Second line.

Frank Slade
06-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Wow! I didn't see that one coming. :rimshot:

Just when the Knicks were on track to get Greg Oden, too. :(

Oh wait, I guess they are looking to Ensure that happens. Good move.

penn13
06-22-2006, 10:26 AM
This is the best move the Knicks have made in 2 years. Zeke bought the groceries and now he is the cook. By moving Zeke to the bench, Dolan will have the perfect excuse to fire him once he falls on his face this year.

Unclebuck
06-22-2006, 10:30 AM
I think Isiah will actually do a decent job coaching that team

Jose Slaughter
06-22-2006, 10:35 AM

I'm gonna save this for next years most humorest poster nominations.

MSA2CF
06-22-2006, 10:37 AM
:yay2:

;)

Young
06-22-2006, 10:39 AM
Thomas sucks. He sucks as a presdient and he sucks as a coach. I do give Thomas a couple things, he does love to coach/teach and he is very creative...he just sucks.

Larry Brown was the best thing the Knicks had going for them aside from Channy Frye.

317Kim
06-22-2006, 10:41 AM
Yowzers! :mygod:

AAAh.

Jose Slaughter
06-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Somewhere in Lafayette a man weeps.

bulldog
06-22-2006, 10:54 AM
This is the best thing that could have possibly happened to Knick's fans.

Hang in there one more year. Once Isiah officially coaches/GM's this team into the ground, he can be fired and you can move on with your lives.

Suaveness
06-22-2006, 10:55 AM
That place is a mess.

Kegboy
06-22-2006, 10:58 AM
I will go on the record and say that the Knicks will be appreciably better next year and Isiah will not be canned.

ABADays
06-22-2006, 11:05 AM
I will go on record and say :wtf:

Since86
06-22-2006, 11:09 AM
Thomas will coach to what players he has. Brown tries to mold his players into what he wants them to be.

They'll be better, but not sure if they'll still make any noise.

Ragnar
06-22-2006, 11:11 AM
As someone who hates the Knicks with a white hot heat I love this. I am filled with joy at this news.

They deserve this and I cant think of anyone I would rather see this happen to.

On the other hand I feel a little bad for the Knicks fans themselves.

Shade
06-22-2006, 11:14 AM
So, what team will LB suck $$$ from next?

What's he getting now, like $60 million from two teams to NOT coach? Just amazing. :lol:

This is the best thing that could have possibly happened to Knick's fans.

Hang in there one more year. Once Isiah officially coaches/GM's this team into the ground, he can be fired and you can move on with your lives.

And get Oden in the process. :uhoh:

btowncolt
06-22-2006, 11:16 AM
So, what team will LB suck $$$ from next?

What's he getting now, like $60 million from two teams to NOT coach? Just amazing. :lol:

And get Oden in the process. :uhoh:

They can't.

The Bulls have the right to switch 1st round picks with them next year.

Shade
06-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Hmm...looks like the Knicks are refusing to pay LB the rest of his contract. They're gonna let Stern handle it. I wonder what he presumably did to get fired for cause?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/22/sports/basketball/22cnd-knicks.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Knicks Fire Brown, Refusing to Pay Out Contract

By HOWARD BECK
Published: June 22, 2006

GREENBURGH, N.Y., June 22 — Larry Brown was fired by the Knicks this morning after just one, surprisingly tumultuous season as their head coach. And the team indicated that it did not plan to pay him the more than $40 million left on his contract.

Larry Brown watched a Knicks game against the Cleveland Cavaliers in April. The team stumbled to a 23-59 record in their only season under Brown as head coach.

Isiah Thomas, the team's president and general manager, was immediately named as Brown's replacement. James L. Dolan, the chairman of Madison Square Garden, made the decision just before 10 a.m., after a one-hour meeting with Brown, Thomas and Steve Mills, the Garden president.

The decision ends a strange and protracted drama that began in mid-April, when the Knicks concluded their first season under Brown with a 23-59 record, their worst in two decades. It ranked among the worst seasons in Brown's Hall-of-Fame career.

Yet Dolan's disenchantment went far beyond the poor results on the court, and he ultimately fired Brown for a number of other transgressions. The Knicks, contending that Brown violated several provisions of his contract, fired him "for cause," and thus do not intend to pay him the balance of his contract, in excess of $40 million.

Under terms of Brown's contract, a five-year deal, he can appeal the team's decision to withhold his pay. Commissioner David Stern will ultimately decide the issue.

The Knicks hired Brown, with considerable fanfare and optimism, last July. Although they kept expectations modest, team officials figured that Brown, who has won both an N.C.A.A. and N.B.A. championship, would reverse a half decade of failure. Instead, Brown exacerbated the franchise's misery, losing games by the dozen, alienating his players and engaging in a public war of words with Stephon Marbury, the team's star point guard.

Dolan wanted specific assurances from Brown that he would change his behavior, both publicly and privately. When Brown wavered, Dolan decided to fire him.

Neither Brown nor any team officials were available for comment. Dolan and Thomas issued a statement expressing their frustration.

"Larry has had a long and storied career," Dolan said in the statement. "We hired him last summer with the expectation that he would be with the Knicks for a long time. Sometimes, decisions work and sometimes they don't. After careful consideration, despite the best intentions from everyone involved, this current structure did not work for us last season and I did not think it was going to improve next season. I have great personal admiration for Larry, but have concluded that it is best for our franchise if we make this change."

Thomas, who assembled the Knicks' unwieldy roster over the last two and a half years, becomes the Knicks' fifth coach since January 2004. He previously coached the Indiana Pacers from 2000-03, compiling a 131-115 record.

They can't.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Zeke is a MORON. :crazy2:

Leisure Suit Larry
06-22-2006, 11:23 AM
They can't.

If the Knicks win the lottery next year and the Bulls switch them and get Oden, I am going to laugh so hard.

Roy Munson
06-22-2006, 11:24 AM
This gives Thomas one more opportunity to fail at something. He has proven to be a failure at every job he has had since he retired as a player.

Great entertainment value here, and gives me one more storyline to follow and enjoy next season. What I expect to happen is for the Knicks to win 35-40 games and Thomas will be hailed as a COY candidate. But 40 wins is his ceiling, I think, regardless of what players he has, so what this REALLY will do is ensure the Knicks' mediocrity for several seasons. He'll do too well to get fired, but he won't be able to make them a legitimately good team.

So I'll go on record right now as predicting 5 straight seasons of 30-40 wins for the Knicks.

DisplacedKnick
06-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch the draft - fill me in on how the "Fire Dolan" movement comes out.

I actually expect us to win more games next season - LB has never valued wins and losses over how his team plays. But that means we'll win around 30.

Until we get Dolan away from the team, we'll be total crap. That's just a simple fact of life.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Has Dolan been in charge for awhile? Specifically, was he in charge when they were good?

PacerMan
06-22-2006, 11:37 AM

ROTFLMAO

You said Isiah and decent job coaching in the same sentance! LOL

Isaih made this mess of a bed, now he gets to sleep in it.

There is some justice in the world.

Young
06-22-2006, 11:48 AM
If the Knicks win the lottery next year and the Bulls switch them and get Oden, I am going to laugh so hard.

That would be awesome. Thomas would have given them 2 top picks in back to back drafts and from what trade? Eddy Curry or Jamal Crawford?

DisplacedKnick
06-22-2006, 11:49 AM
Has Dolan been in charge for awhile? Specifically, was he in charge when they were good?

Little Jimmy was appointed Chairman of MSG On November 1, 1999.

June 1999 happens to have been our last finals appearance. Within 2 years we were out of the playoffs and in salary cap hell.

bulldog
06-22-2006, 11:54 AM
Is the draft gonna be at the Garden again?

The Knicks fans are gonna tear that place apart when the Knicks pick.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Is the draft gonna be at the Garden again?

The Knicks fans are gonna tear that place apart when the Knicks pick.

They need to bring it back to Indy, that was fun.

That would be awesome. Thomas would have given them 2 top picks in back to back drafts and from what trade? Eddy Curry or Jamal Crawford?

Bird/Walsh need to offer Thomas Tinsley for their 2007 and 2008 First Round Pick and the opportunity to swap picks through 2015. I think they might go for it. They could use another PG

CableKC
06-22-2006, 12:29 PM

I wonder if Dolan looked at the Heat and said to himself.....if Riley can do it....then I am sure that Zeke can do it too. :zip:

Keep in mind.....Zeke built the team and made all the moves based off of players that he liked. Although he is capable of destroying whole franchises with a single swoop of his hand....I get the sense that he is more of a "players" coach then the type of coach that Brown is. I wouldn't be surprised if he can coax some decent play out of Marbury, Crawford and Curry.

I'm gonna go on record to say that the Knicks will have a better record ( probably not by much ) under Zeke then they had under Brown.

I'm not saying playoffs or anything...but considering that he just has to win 24 games to beat Brown's 23 games...anything is possible for Zeke. He did get the Pacers to 2 or 3 early 1st round Playoff exits...right?

8.9_seconds
06-22-2006, 01:02 PM
So...uh that means he's available? I mean with the right trades and personalities....:duck:

Just Sayin....

Will Galen
06-22-2006, 01:20 PM
Here comes the "quick.'

DisplacedKnick
06-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Here comes the "quick.'

And the Dead.

Chauncey
06-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Good in the short run..they'll play better next year....equally bad in the long run though, as history proves with Isiah.

Either way, the Knicks were screwed. The only correct thing they could have done would be fire both and hire a new GM who brought in his own coach.

Bball
06-22-2006, 01:55 PM
At least we know what GM would be stupid enough to ever hire Isiah as a coach again.

-Bball

Doug
06-22-2006, 02:39 PM
It will be interesting to see if Isiah has learned anything from his experiences here. He often said the right thing and occasionally his teams would even do the right thing, but he was very "flighty". He didn't really seem to stick with any one thing. Game to game or season to season. You have to be able to adjust, but he was very quick to jump from one approach to another.

NYs roster is a mess, though. He might win more games than LB did this year, but I just can't see it going very well overall.

Bball
06-22-2006, 02:41 PM
It will be interesting to see if Isiah has learned anything from his experiences here. He often said the right thing and occasionally his teams would even do the right thing, but he was very "flighty". He didn't really seem to stick with any one thing. Game to game or season to season. You have to be able to adjust, but he was very quick to jump from one approach to another.

NYs roster is a mess, though. He might win more games than LB did this year, but I just can't see it going very well overall.

Hopefully he's at least learned how to utilize his time outs (times out?) better for strategic purposes.

-Bball

ChicagoJ
06-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Hopefully he's at least learned how to utilize his time outs (times out?) better for strategic purposes.

-Bball

Don't get me started - that was the single-worst coached game in NBA history.

DisplacedKnick
06-22-2006, 03:01 PM
Don't get me started - that was the single-worst coached game in NBA history.

Is that a game I remember? I remember one in Phoenix where you gave up what - a 12-pt lead with about 50 seconds left because Isiah decided to go small and you couldn't grab a rebound.

Or make a FT.

Dukins
06-22-2006, 03:27 PM
hmmmmm will JO be a knick this year? Inquiring minds want to know. Frye and fillers for JO......?

FrenchConnection
06-22-2006, 03:31 PM
hmmmmm will JO be a knick this year? Inquiring minds want to know. Frye and fillers for JO......?

No. They don't have a single player that the Pacers would take for JO. Frye is not nearly good enough.

Since86
06-22-2006, 03:40 PM
Is there a record for the most teams paying a coach?

One league executive who's a friend of [Larry] Brown said he wouldn't be surprised if new Bobcats partial owner Michael Jordan has interest in the now-former Knicks coach.
-- New York Post

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/scorecard/06/22/truth.rumors.nba/index.html?cnn=yes

BoomBaby31
06-22-2006, 03:40 PM
LOL, Isiah Thomas pulls a Pat Riley at least he didn't have Larry Brown coach half of year then push him out. He's not stupid, he sees a TON of talent stacked there in New York. Brown would AT LEAST of gotten that team to the ECF this coming year, we'll see what Thomas can do NOTHING.

Who thinks we fire Carisle and Hire brown? I'm sure he doesn't need much because of those contract buyouts lol

Robertmto
06-22-2006, 03:43 PM
It would SUCK to be a Knicks fan

Jermaniac
06-22-2006, 05:09 PM
Bet Zeke gets more coach of the year votes then Carlisle next year

efx
06-22-2006, 05:49 PM
LOL, Isiah Thomas pulls a Pat Riley at least he didn't have Larry Brown coach half of year then push him out. He's not stupid, he sees a TON of talent stacked there in New York. Brown would AT LEAST of gotten that team to the ECF this coming year, we'll see what Thomas can do NOTHING.

Who thinks we fire Carisle and Hire brown? I'm sure he doesn't need much because of those contract buyouts lol

Please tell me you're joking. A team going from 23 wins to the ECF? With the same talent?

You must be kidding me right?

ChicagoJ
06-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Is that a game I remember? I remember one in Phoenix where you gave up what - a 12-pt lead with about 50 seconds left because Isiah decided to go small and you couldn't grab a rebound.

Or make a FT.

That's the game where sombody (Tinsley?) was about to put in a layup to put us up four in the last twenty seconds, and Ron Artest body-checked somebody 40-feet behind the play, was called for the foul, our layup was waved off, and Phoenix won in regulation.

I'm referring to the playoff game vs. Boston, where Isiah sat Reggie down during his last timeout, then the Pacers came up with ball, in the last twenty seconds, with Reggie on the scorer's table and no timeouts.

And, by the way, Isiah had to waste a timeout early in the fourth quarter because Artest was having a mini-implosion with three fouls in about sixty seconds.

DisplacedKnick
06-22-2006, 06:24 PM
Please tell me you're joking. A team going from 23 wins to the ECF? With the same talent?

It wouldn't have been the same talent with Brown there - at least half the team would have been gone.

Lineup would have been:

PG - Marbury
SG - Q-Rich
SF - Woods
PF - Rose/Frye
C - Curry

Bench who would have played include Robinson, Lee, Rose/Frye and Butler. Maybe Jerome James would have made something of himself and maybe not.

Except some of the above would have no longer been with the team - we'd of had to give something up to get some defenders in.

Anyway, I would have hoped for 35-40 wins and squeaking in with a 7 or 8 seed with an eye on moving up the next year. Now we'll get 30 and make everyone who plays against us look like Dallas East.

It would be funnier if it wasn't my team - but I've reached the point where it's still funny. Every time I think, "Well, it can't get any worse," it does. I'm batting pretty close to 1,000 on that one over the past 5 years.

BoomBaby31
06-22-2006, 07:14 PM

The knicks didn't get most of the players until the mid-end of the year. I promise you (keep this thread) the Knicks THIS coming year will AT LEAST make it to the second round. If Ben and Rasheed split up I'll Promise a ECF. Maybe you don't remember who is on that team now, it was a big mess because of all of the swaping going on. They will be all on the same page coming the beginning of the season. As long as Zeke doesn't just be plain retarded with the subs, they are going a LONG way next year.

Pacersfan46
06-22-2006, 08:54 PM
Did someone just say Knicks, with Isiah as the coach will make the ECF?

Serioiusly? That was sarcasm, right? Or I read it wrong?

Kaufman
06-22-2006, 09:00 PM
PF46,

I think you were hallucinating. Nobody would say anything so absurd.

Sincerely,

Kaufman

Pacersfan46
06-22-2006, 09:02 PM
I knew it HAD to be me. Nobody is that crazy!

efx
06-22-2006, 09:36 PM
The knicks didn't get most of the players until the mid-end of the year. I promise you (keep this thread) the Knicks THIS coming year will AT LEAST make it to the second round. If Ben and Rasheed split up I'll Promise a ECF. Maybe you don't remember who is on that team now, it was a big mess because of all of the swaping going on. They will be all on the same page coming the beginning of the season. As long as Zeke doesn't just be plain retarded with the subs, they are going a LONG way next year.

I went to over 20 games at the garden last season and I saw nothing to give anyone any hope. Marbury and Francis are cancers. It was a mess not because of the swapping but because of the bad combination of talents.

The pacers will be better than them next season, as will the Wizards, Heat, Pistons and Cavs so there will be no ecf, not even close.

grace
06-23-2006, 01:09 AM

He certainly can't do much worse than Larry did.

Eindar
06-23-2006, 02:22 AM
I don't think they're going to be world-beaters, but they have talent on that team. Didn't we just get done saying in another thread that offenses rely on penetration in the "new" NBA? Regardless of cancer factors, Marbury, Francis, and Crawford is an excellent backcourt rotation, and Frye/Curry makes for a decent frontcourt. The talent is there, and IT's offense isn't terrible, either. It's his defense that was lacking here.

I think they'll be better next year than they were last year. I'm not sure about them making the playoffs, because I'm not sure they'll be better than the Nets with an improved Krstic or Boston with the youth movement getting better. And I don't think their record will be good enough to grab the 8th seed based on record. But I think they'll be competitive in the Atlantic next year.

pizza guy
06-23-2006, 02:36 AM
I don't think they're going to be world-beaters, but they have talent on that team. Didn't we just get done saying in another thread that offenses rely on penetration in the "new" NBA? Regardless of cancer factors, Marbury, Francis, and Crawford is an excellent backcourt rotation, and Frye/Curry makes for a decent frontcourt. The talent is there, and IT's offense isn't terrible, either. It's his defense that was lacking here.

I think they'll be better next year than they were last year. I'm not sure about them making the playoffs, because I'm not sure they'll be better than the Nets with an improved Krstic or Boston with the youth movement getting better. And I don't think their record will be good enough to grab the 8th seed based on record. But I think they'll be competitive in the Atlantic next year.

About 30 wins then, eh?

La-de-freakin-da. All it means is that Brown will get paid to not coach - again - and move onto the next place where he 'really wants to coach.' I've grown really sick of the Larry Brown saga.

Oh yeah, and it means that IT gets a chance to coach a team to sickening mediocrity again.

Eindar
06-23-2006, 02:53 AM
About 30 wins then, eh?

La-de-freakin-da. All it means is that Brown will get paid to not coach - again - and move onto the next place where he 'really wants to coach.' I've grown really sick of the Larry Brown saga.

Oh yeah, and it means that IT gets a chance to coach a team to sickening mediocrity again.

No, in next year's NBA, I think it's going to take 45 wins to make the playoffs in the East. If I had to put a number to it, I'd say the Knicks win 40 games next year. The Wizards, Nets, and even the Celtics will be better next year, and yet I think the Knicks will give them a run for their money.

Robertmto
06-23-2006, 02:57 AM
No, in next year's NBA, I think it's going to take 45 wins to make the playoffs in the East. If I had to put a number to it, I'd say the Knicks win 40 games next year. The Wizards, Nets, and even the Celtics will be better next year, and yet I think the Knicks will give them a run for their money.

Don't insult us like that. Sit on your hands.