PDA

View Full Version : Draft a Superstar?

bulldog
06-21-2006, 10:24 PM
This past NBA finals has made me think about how important having a superstar perimeter scorer, someone who can truly take games over down the stretch, really is. Dwayne Wade was able to push the issue against the Mavs and get to the foul line time and again, and this ability to force the issue and close games was a major reason Miami won.

Now, Jermaine's a great player, but it's much more difficult for a big man to assume that role. The defense can deny and double much more easily, and the offense has to get him the ball and continue hitting perimeter shots throughout a playoff series to keep the other team honest. Meanwhile, a great perimeter player can simply take over.

Dallas has picked well and conservatively for many years (Howard, Daniels, etc.), now goes 10 deep, and is still vulnerable to a single scorer and some veteran role players.

Thus, isn't it better to try to draft a guy that could potentially become a take-over-games player? Obviously, the odds are low at #17, but shouldn't that be the strategy? I know advocating picking on potential isn't popular, but I'm OK with a swing and a miss every once in a while, particularly when an obvious contributor like Danny Granger isn't available.

For this year, I'd advocate picking Rondo. Lots of athleticism and potential, he could become a game-changer.

Robertmto
06-21-2006, 10:27 PM
This past NBA finals has made me think about how important having a superstar perimeter scorer, someone who can truly take games over down the stretch, really is.

For this year, I'd advocate picking Rondo. Lots of athleticism and potential, he could become a game-changer.

Oxy Moron

MSA2CF
06-21-2006, 10:31 PM
This past NBA finals has made me think about how important having a superstar perimeter scorer, someone who can truly take games over down the stretch, really is.

This past season without Reggie made me think about that as well.

But what a championship team really needs is a leader, or leaders. I'm not too sure the Pacers had one this year...I'd like to say Jermaine was, but to be an effective leader, IMO, one should set the example (i.e. not complaining to the refs all the time, stepping up when it counts). Methinks Anthony (Johnson) can be the leader this team needs, and he has proven to me that he can hit shots when the clock is winding down...That said, I don't think he's a superstar, but he seems to turn into one when it counts.

But that's just me.

As for drafting a superstar @ pick #17, I don't think that's going to happen...but we'll see.

Young
06-21-2006, 11:04 PM
The closest player to a superstar in this draft is Adam Morrison. He *might* be a go to guy one day and maybe Bargnani but that's a big maybe. Neither Morrison or Bargnani will be superstars, but they are about the only ones who could be go to guys. The others, will be 2nd fiddle players at best.

If you want to draft a superstar, you are looking to do so in the wrong year. Now that doesn't mean we won't get a good player, because there are some nice players in this draft, but no superstars whatsoever.

Doug
06-21-2006, 11:58 PM
I think we should trade up to #5 and draft the best, most freakish athelete available and hope he learns how to play basketball.

What?

We tried that already?

Bball
06-22-2006, 01:24 AM
Methinks Anthony (Johnson) can be the leader this team needs, and he has proven to me that he can hit shots when the clock is winding down....

Uhhhh... You must have a low threshold of proof. He must've missed 90% of his tries at the end of quarters. That is my perception, and I think I am probably giving him the benefit of the doubt to say that it was 10% that he made. It's probably less.

I will grant you that he had no problem taking last possession shots but I believe he had a terrible time making them.

-Bball

Trader Joe
06-22-2006, 08:31 AM
BRANDON ROY

SoupIsGood
06-22-2006, 08:33 AM
DRAFT BTOWN

Putnam
06-22-2006, 09:07 AM

Is it possible for Indiana to have a superstar? Reggie had exceptional talent and the record books prove it, but he never made it to superstar status.

Tell me, bulldog: Does this argument mean that a superstar is necessary because the league is always going to tilt the balance in favor of the star, as Mark Cuban so eloquently put it, or that riding on the shoulders of the team's best player is good basketball strategy?

As far as the perimeter argument goes, you may be right. But Miami outrebounded Dallas in game 6 and had more blocks. The margin of victory was as much Mourning as it was Wade.

ChicagoJ
06-22-2006, 12:21 PM
DRAFT BTOWN

DRAFT CANDY!!

Kegboy
06-22-2006, 12:22 PM
:laugh:

JayRedd
06-22-2006, 12:25 PM
As far as the perimeter argument goes, you may be right. But Miami outrebounded Dallas in game 6 and had more blocks. The margin of victory was as much Mourning as it was Wade.

:rotflmao:

SoupIsGood
06-22-2006, 12:27 PM
DRAFT CANDY!!

:lol:

Putnam
06-22-2006, 12:58 PM
:rotflmao:

What is so funny? Miami won by three points. Without Wade's 36 points Miami doesn't win. Without 'Zo's 5 blocks Miami doesn't win.

I didn't say Mourning did as much as Wade...I said he contributed to the margin of victory.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Check this out

http://nbadraft.net/reeddraftanalysis001.asp

bulldog
06-22-2006, 01:36 PM
As for drafting a superstar @ pick #17, I don't think that's going to happen...but we'll see.

Probably not, but with the draft being as wide open as it is, maybe. I'm just saying we shouldn't play it safe with someone who would be a solid contributor, but instead go for a player with a higher cieling.

Robertmto
06-22-2006, 04:00 PM
Check this out

http://nbadraft.net/reeddraftanalysis001.asp

Someone from Draft Express took credit for that article too....:shakehead

EDIT: just checked and it has been pulled from the site, but it was there last night.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-22-2006, 04:25 PM
What do you mean? I'm not claiming I wrote it.

Robertmto
06-23-2006, 03:56 AM
What do you mean? I'm not claiming I wrote it.

I didn't say you did. I sdaid someone from Draft Express did.