PDA

View Full Version : The inside info so far.

Young
06-21-2006, 03:51 PM
I know that some guys on here able to get some good inside info, like DD00 and Kauffman too I think. I was just wondering what all the inside info is that we have so far, regarding the draft.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Tyrus Thomas will not be in a Pacer uniform next year

Young
06-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Tyrus Thomas will not be in a Pacer uniform next year

Thank god.

Trader Joe
06-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Well you can take or leave my insider info, but from what I have heard, we ARE trying to move up. We wanted Gay for some reason, but have since become infatuated with Roy. We have talked with Minny on several different deals. Involving their pick, Ricky, Marko. JO definetely can be had for a great offer and the Raptor deal did have some legs to it, but is now dead. Really not much of anything that people did not know or speculate. Sorry I don't have anything ground breaking...yet.

diamonddave00
06-21-2006, 05:28 PM
From what I hear Bird likes 3 Euroes in the first round. Andrea Bargnani if he were to trade up into the top 4. But he also likes both Oleksiy Pecherov a 6'10 230 combo forward and Thabo Sefelosha a 6'6 sg/p/sf if he stays at #17.Keep an eye out for Damir Markota a 6'11 combo forward when the 2nd round pick comes up. Bird has spent a lot of time in Europe and has come away impressed by these players .

As far as college players there is so much shifting in the top part of the draft the Pacers could go anyway. Alexander Johnson has impressed but they question his desire and are leery of taking him at 17. The point guards Farmar, Rondo, Douby could be there and may just be a gut feeling on who they take. Ronnie Brewer is another they like but doubtful to be there.

As for moving up its very unlikely the Pacers do , they have talked a lot to the T'wolves but without too much success , the Pacer like Brandon Roy but the T'wolves are driving a very hard bargain, wanting both pick #17 and a future #1 in a package .

I'd say come next Monday it should become much clearer but as of now it appears the Pacers will be staying at #17 a Euro is a definate possibility at that spot.

Even Donnie Walsh has said this draft with only a few days to go could well be the hardest to figure out. Sorry I'm unable to give any real hot rumors but Bird and Walsh are working the phones .

blanket
06-21-2006, 05:42 PM
From what I hear Bird likes 3 Euroes in the first round. Andrea Bargnani if he were to trade up into the top 4. But he also likes both Oleksiy Pecherov a 6'10 230 combo forward and Thabo Sefelosha a 6'6 sg/p/sf if he stays at #17.Keep an eye out for Damir Markota a 6'11 combo forward when the 2nd round pick comes up. Bird has spent a lot of time in Europe and has come away impressed by these players .

As far as college players there is so much shifting in the top part of the draft the Pacers could go anyway. Alexander Johnson has impressed but they question his desire and are leery of taking him at 17. The point guards Farmar, Rondo, Douby could be there and may just be a gut feeling on who they take. Ronnie Brewer is another they like but doubtful to be there.

As for moving up its very unlikely the Pacers do , they have talked a lot to the T'wolves but without too much success , the Pacer like Brandon Roy but the T'wolves are driving a very hard bargain, wanting both pick #17 and a future #1 in a package .

I'd say come next Monday it should become much clearer but as of now it appears the Pacers will be staying at #17 a Euro is a definate possibility at that spot.

Even Donnie Walsh has said this draft with only a few days to go could well be the hardest to figure out. Sorry I'm unable to give any real hot rumors but Bird and Walsh are working the phones .

Thanks for the update.

I'm surprised the P's are considering taking a Euro so strongly at 17. They all appear to be projects that won't be able to contribute for a year or more, and I would think DW/LB would be looking to make an impact next season. Since we currently only have 9 players under contract, the likelihood of a draft pick having a chance to break into the rotation would seem greater than in the past, too. hmmm....

Young
06-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Sorry I'm unable to give any real hot rumors but Bird and Walsh are working the phones .

Don't be sorry. I just wanted to get all the inside info in one place, and try to make a logical guess as to what Bird has in mind.

blanket
06-21-2006, 05:53 PM
If we stay at 17 and the players dd00 mentioned are the main ones under consideration, I'd hope for either Sefolosha or Rondo.

Young
06-21-2006, 05:58 PM
If we stay at 17 and the players dd00 mentioned are the main ones under consideration, I'd hope for either Sefolosha or Rondo.

I agree. Those are the two guys i've been hoping for lately. Only I can't say I like one better than the other. Get another 1rst Larry!

- Git r done!

SoupIsGood
06-21-2006, 06:06 PM
A Euro eh?

coughrudycough

blanket
06-21-2006, 06:07 PM
A Euro eh?

coughrudycough

Fernandez?

He withdrew from this year's draft.

SoupIsGood
06-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Fernandez?

He withdrew from this year's draft.

You gotta be kidding!!!

I've been wanting us to draft him the last two years! Arrgh!!

blanket
06-21-2006, 06:24 PM
You gotta be kidding!!!

I've been wanting us to draft him the last two years! Arrgh!!

The good news is a player can only withdraw twice, so next year is his last chance to be drafted.

Pacersfan.
06-21-2006, 06:30 PM
You know what sucks? Bird has mostly been scouting in Europe, whereas we can guess Walsh is scouting in the US. It's hard to discern which players from Europe are better and vice-versa when each of them has only seen players from respective countries.

CableKC
06-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Oh God.....not another Euro player. I really don't want to get a Euro player.......we have gone down that path already...and I would prefer to take my chances with a College player that has played in a solid Conference under a very good College Coach.

I'm beginning to think that there is a good chance that players that were slated after the top 5 will shift according to who is picked in the top 5......leaving open the possiblity that a player that is currently slated as a top 10-15 player....may drop to us at the 17th spot.

If a player like Rondo....goes in the top 10 ( which...of course..is a rumor )....that could shift the quality of PGs further down to us.

blanket
06-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Oh God.....not another Euro player. I really don't want to get a Euro player.......we have gone down that path already...and I would prefer to take my chances with a College player that has played in a solid Conference under a very good College Coach.

I'm beginning to think that there is a good chance that players that were slated after the top 5 will shift according to who is picked in the top 5......leaving open the possiblity that a player that is currently slated as a top 10-15 player....may drop to us at the 17th spot.

If a player like Rondo....goes in the top 10 ( which...of course..is a rumor )....that could shift the quality of PGs further down to us.

I think the only way a lottery-projected player slips to us at 17 is if AT LEAST 3 players currently projected to be drafted after 17 get picked before 17 and thereby shift some of those lottery players down.

You mentioned one player -- Rondo -- who fits that bill. A couple of others: Sefolosha, Saer Sene, and Pecherov. A couple with an outside chance: Armstrong, Farmar, S. Brown or Ager.

That being said, even if that happened and a lottery-projected player that we'd be interested in (e.g., Brewer, Carney, Redick) slipped out of the lottery, I'm pretty sure NO/OK or Chicago would take them since both of those teams have similar needs for backcourt upgrades.

Trader Joe
06-21-2006, 07:24 PM
Not another Euro, PLEASE. Thabo is not really Euro in style tho, so I suppose I could live with his selection. Still tho, we need Rondo's skills far more than another shooter.

Kegboy
06-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Euros suck.

-->"Hey, what the **** are talking about!"

Oh, sorry Primoz. My bad. :blush:

Anthem
06-21-2006, 10:02 PM
From what I hear Bird likes 3 Euroes in the first round. Andrea Bargnani if he were to trade up into the top 4. But he also likes both Oleksiy Pecherov a 6'10 230 combo forward and Thabo Sefelosha a 6'6 sg/p/sf if he stays at #17.Keep an eye out for Damir Markota a 6'11 combo forward when the 2nd round pick comes up. Bird has spent a lot of time in Europe and has come away impressed by these players.
Somebody shoot me.

Bball
06-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Somebody shoot me.

:bond:

-Bball

You know what sucks? Bird has mostly been scouting in Europe, whereas we can guess Walsh is scouting in the US. It's hard to discern which players from Europe are better and vice-versa when each of them has only seen players from respective countries.

I'm assuming Walsh hasn't been scouting anywhere himself. ...And the amount of scouting LB is doing, especially overseas, seems a bit much for his job description. Doesn't PS&E still employ scouts?

I don't have a problem with a GM taking a major hands on approach with scouting but I'd assume it isn't the norm throughout the league. I could be wrong.

-Bball

Robertmto
06-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Thebo is a good pick. I've heard alot of gret stuff about him. Take him Pacers, just leave me the big men.

microwave_oven
06-21-2006, 11:22 PM
I am very curious as to how this draft will pan out. The Minn. trade could be very beneficial to us. Hopefully the T-Wolves will take their heads out of their @$$ and do the deal. McHale owes Bird for all those championships.

diamonddave00
06-22-2006, 01:45 AM
Don't misinterpet what I said about the Euroes , I'm just saying Bird likes them and it would not shock me if he took one of them.

He may not even consider them at 17 , I was told he likes them but not that they were by any means who he would take.

This draft is still up in the air I mentioned the euroes because no one here has really spoken of them very much in relation to the Pacers. The draft is still 6 days away and not even the first pick is definate this could end up being a fly by the seat of your pants draft with teams taking players no one expects.

Steve McQueen
06-22-2006, 01:50 AM
diamonddave00, you're like 0-42 on your "inside info" so Ill take everything you say with a huge grain of salt.

Robertmto
06-22-2006, 02:26 AM
He hasn't even made 42 inside info posts...

microwave_oven
06-22-2006, 02:29 AM
I believe that Diamond Dave mentioned something about Ron for Peja before any of the national news said a word.

Robertmto
06-22-2006, 02:38 AM
I believe that Diamond Dave mentioned something about Ron for Peja before any of the national news said a word.

owned the newbie

Steve McQueen
06-22-2006, 03:01 AM
I don't believe it, and the Ron for Peja rumors were floating around since 2-3 summers ago.

wooolus
06-22-2006, 08:59 AM
Do what you like dude, but DD00 is one of the more creditable Insider poster here.

FrenchConnection
06-22-2006, 09:32 AM
How about this for an idea? The best talents in this draft may be in Europe. They sure as heck are not among the US college players. People say that i its hard to know the real ability of European players becuase they play against lower levels of competition. Lets be honest, Brandon Roy's draft stock is so high because of those two tournament games against Illinois and UConn. The talent level in US college basketball is at a low point right now, so players will project as better players than they will be in the league. Because most would agree that there are no superstars among the Americans in this draft, why not take a risk? From the highlight videos, Sefelosha looks like a really good player. Really athletic with a good outside shot. I would not be upset if he was the pick one bit.

blanket
06-22-2006, 09:42 AM
From the highlight videos, Sefelosha looks like a really good player. Really athletic with a good outside shot. I would not be upset if he was the pick one bit.

I thought the knock on Thabo was he had no outside shot, but is more of a slasher. But you might know more about him than what I've read. Can you post where you've seen some highlight clips of him?

Kegboy
06-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Was it dd00 who nailed the Al-Jack talk a month before it went down, or was that someone else?

Suaveness
06-22-2006, 09:50 AM
If Roy is available at Minny's pick, then I say give up the future 1. Like next year's.

Frank Slade
06-22-2006, 09:54 AM
How about this for an idea? The best talents in this draft may be in Europe. They sure as heck are not among the US college players. People say that i its hard to know the real ability of European players becuase they play against lower levels of competition. Lets be honest, Brandon Roy's draft stock is so high because of those two tournament games against Illinois and UConn. The talent level in US college basketball is at a low point right now, so players will project as better players than they will be in the league. Because most would agree that there are no superstars among the Americans in this draft, why not take a risk? From the highlight videos, Sefelosha looks like a really good player. Really athletic with a good outside shot. I would not be upset if he was the pick one bit.

It's not neccesarily the fact that the Best talent is in Europe, it's that there is alot of great talent that has not been highly scouted or recruited. Or at least not until recently.

I think a number of organizations are trying to follow the lead of teams like the Spurs, who did their homework on guys like Ginobli and Parker.

It doesn't mean there are 20 all-stars over in Europe just waiting to be signed, but the fact is the European game in some ways is like stepping into a time warp 15-20 years ago "Pre-Jordan". So players there are more apt to work on the fundamentals of the game , like thier mid-range jumpshot.
(Although that is changing as well)

Now this does sometimes pose a problem with players trying to transition from more of a Finesse style to the Power type of game that is the NBA. Having to use your body more etc... No doubt there are some real "gems" over seas but the key is finding the talented players that have the ability to make the adjustments needed.

Not to mention the best players usually get locked into long term deals with European teams and then it becomes either a waiting game or a bidding game.

I don't have anything against drafting an Euro though, provided he can make those adjustments, you could end up with a real find.

FrenchConnection
06-22-2006, 09:57 AM
I thought the knock on Thabo was he had no outside shot, but is more of a slasher. But you might know more about him than what I've read. Can you post where you've seen some highlight clips of him?

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=25061&start=0

The majority of the videos for Sefelosha are from a French site and take a while to download because they don't stream.

It's not the fact that the Best talent is in Europe, it's that there is alot of talent that has not been highly scouted or recruited. Or at least not until recently.

I think a number of organizations are trying to follow the lead of teams like the Spurs, who did their homework on guys like Ginobli and Parker.

It doesn't mean there are 20 all-stars over in Europe just waiting to be signed, but the fact is the European game in some ways is like stepping into a time warp 15-20 years ago "Pre-Jordan". So players there are more apt to work on the fundamentals of the game , like thier mid-range jumpshot.
(Although that is changing as well)

Now this does sometimes post a problem with players trying to transition from more of a Finesse style to the Power type of game that is the NBA. Having to use your body more etc... No doubt there are some real "gems" over seas but the key is finding the talented players that have the ability to make the adjustments needed. Not to mention the best players usually get locked into long term deals with European teams and then it becomes either a waiting game or a bidding game.

Its just that this draft is so weak that it is probably a good year to take a risk. No one is going to get a real start around which they can build at any point in this draft from among the American college players, so perhaps a player like Sefelosha might have a higher ceiling, especially among the players that will be available at #17? That being said, I also really like the idea of Rondo or Farmar.

Hicks
06-22-2006, 10:32 AM
Was it dd00 who nailed the Al-Jack talk a month before it went down, or was that someone else?

Yeah, that was dd00.

Kaufman
06-22-2006, 01:40 PM

DD what makes you think Rondo will be there at 17? I get the sense that Farmar might be but not Rondo and definitely not Brewer.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-22-2006, 01:44 PM
DD what makes you think Rondo will be there at 17? I get the sense that Farmar might be but not Rondo and definitely not Brewer.

Rondo is mid to late first round in a lot of mocks but I hear he is rising fast and could be a lotto.

Trader Joe
06-22-2006, 04:07 PM
Well, Rondo was top 5 before the start of the season. People shied away caue UK didn't have that great of a season and Rondo took a ton of the blame.

ChicagoJ
06-22-2006, 06:37 PM
I don't believe it, and the Ron for Peja rumors were floating around since 2-3 summers ago.

I believe he was on it then, too.

Why don't you search for a thread started by DD00 with the key words "Harrington" and "Jackson." (Maybe the thread was started by Hicks, but it was up near the top fairly recently.)

But even if you don't, please try to treat DD00 and everyone else around here with more respect than you've shown in this thread.

Kaufman
06-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Well, Rondo was top 5 before the start of the season. People shied away caue UK didn't have that great of a season and Rondo took a ton of the blame.

There was a lot wrong with our basketball team this year, and Rondo had some personal issues going on, but I was more so wondering if DD or anyone had some inside scoop on Rajon and what is being said in insider circles outside of the one I am in... I have a very skewed vision of Rajon so it is hard for me to know what is going on with him outside of that and I just wanted to educate myself.

Trader Joe
06-22-2006, 11:27 PM
There was a lot wrong with our basketball team this year, and Rondo had some personal issues going on, but I was more so wondering if DD or anyone had some inside scoop on Rajon and what is being said in insider circles outside of the one I am in... I have a very skewed vision of Rajon so it is hard for me to know what is going on with him outside of that and I just wanted to educate myself.

Well, I know Rondo has been extremely effective and impressive in workouts. Everything I have read and heard are not that he has surpassed Williams, but rather has firmly cemented himself as the second best PG in this draft. Where he goes is up for debate after that. He makes a ton of sense in Philly next to AI if you ask me. He does not have to score, b/c AI has that covered and they would be an extremely quick backcourt. To me Rondo is a top 10 talent, but there are not a whole lot of teams with point needs. Houston could maybe use ROndo but if they are planning to snag Mike James than that makes little sense so I think he will drop by default, and be a steal for whoever collects him.