PDA

View Full Version : Was it worth it?

Shade
06-21-2006, 01:23 PM
With Shaq's huge contract and the fact that he's on the decline, combined with the possible retirements of Riley, Zo and Payton, plus potential chemistry headaches in Walker, Williams, and Posey, this may very well be Miami's only title for years to come. And there's even the very, very slight chance that Wade walks now that he's won a title in Miami.

If the Heat revert to a lottery team for the next several years ala the Bulls, will this title have been worth it?

To me, it's a definite "hell yes!" but I'm curious to see how others feel.

ChicagoJ
06-21-2006, 01:24 PM
1) Hell yes.

2) With Riley in charge, South Beach, and a chance to play with Shaq and (most likely) Wade, they won't have any problem whatsoever keeping that team competitive.

Fool
06-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Even if they never had a winning record from here on out, it was worth it.

Putnam
06-21-2006, 01:32 PM
Yes! No doubt about it. Winning a championship makes it worthwhile, for the players and the fans and the franchise. The afterglow from a championship must last three years at a minimum.

Anyway, the Heat were under $60 million -- not that much over the cap. It is teams that spent $80 million and won 41 games that need to be thinking what was worthwhile.

Roy Munson
06-21-2006, 01:41 PM
1) Yes,

2) Yes,

3) Hell Yes.

One championship in a decade is more than at least 20 other NBA teams will get. Their goal was to win a championship, and they achieved their goal.

Now they will set another goal, and with Pat Riley as their coach, don't sell them short, no matter who they have playing for them and and what stages of their careers.

I still think back to that abortion of a line-up that the Knicks used to play in the early '90s, but there they were, every year, contending.

Bball
06-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Let's see... the Pacers have never won a championship in their 30 or so years in the NBA. If you throw one in there somewhere, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

You take your shots when you get them and always push for a championship. You are always one injury, or draft bust, misjudgement, etc... away from watching your grand plans for a championship run a few years down the road falling apart. It's why I had so much of a problem with the handling of the 99 and 2000 teams. But hey... it's all better now. :(

It's hard enough working in the here and now, much less looking 3-5 years down the road.

-Bball

Slick Pinkham
06-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Yes, of course.

And they aren't in that bad shape. They can get guys cheaply who want to live in Miami and play with Wade and a declining Shaq.

If they replace the presumably retiring Zo & Payton they might be better even as Shaq declines, provided they upgrade at PG over J-Will.

I think if they can attract Mike James or Brevin Knight (or someone similar) as a free agent for MLE or less then they are a major factor the next couple of years. Mike James wants more, though.

Peck
06-21-2006, 01:54 PM
hmmmmmmmm.....

Nobody is taking the other side of this yet.

I won't either, even if for several years they become the bottom of the league they still have achieved the zenith of success in the NBA.

Success sometimes is a destination, not an ongoing journey.

DisplacedKnick
06-21-2006, 01:56 PM
I can live a long, long time on memories.

The Mets last won a title in '86
The Islanders got one in the early 80's.
The Cowboy's in the mid-90's

I'm good with all those teams, even when they sucked which they each have at various points but the Knicks have never won a title in my adult lifetime. That absolutely blows.

I'd gladly trade 10 years in the lottery for a title.

N8R
06-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Totally worth it.

That is one of the first things I was thinking about when I saw Shaq walk towards the podium "Are the Heat happy they made that trade?"

I can only assume yes with this one cause Shaq did infact bring them their championship. Any team would do a trade if it means that 2 years later you have a championship. I bet just about any team would trade any player if it means a championship.

Congrats on the win MIAMI and DWAYNE WADE

Roaming Gnome
06-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Bottom line: They have one more championship then we do.

Of course it was worth it!

MSA2CF
06-21-2006, 05:32 PM
Definitely worth it.

Sollozzo
06-21-2006, 05:35 PM
Easily worth it.

317Kim
06-21-2006, 06:24 PM
Yes, it's definetly worth it.

Kegboy
06-21-2006, 06:58 PM
Bottom line: They have one more championship then we do.

Of course it was worth it!

What do you mean? We have 3!

(Hey, if they get to where ABA throwbacks, then our titles count, damn it!)

Los Angeles
06-21-2006, 07:12 PM
I have never waivered in my belief that Shaquille is worth any price. He now has four rings, is working on his fifth, and may very well retire with as many as 7, depending on where he goes and what role he takes.

Iceman1
06-21-2006, 07:22 PM
HELL YES it's worth it!

Anthem
06-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Absolutely.

Also, count me among those that believe Miami won't slip into playoff obscurity in the next couple of years.

Sollozzo
06-21-2006, 10:41 PM
Even if they go lottery for 5 years in a row (which they obviously wont), it was definitely worth it. I'd kill for the Pacers to win a title, even if it were followed by 5 awful years. What's the point of dwindling in mediocrity every year? No one remembers you for that. The Heat are a part of history now.

I feel kind of dumb for starting that thread that said "Miami has an extremely bleak future." Of course that's when it looked like they were getting beat in this series. There's no doubt that Shaquille O'Neal is on the decline. But hey, maybe it doesn't matter at all. Wade can clearly carry this team in a series with just a decent performance from Shaq (Shaq did carry the team against Detroit, though).

They're definitely my pick for next season to win it all. There's no doubt they won't have much flexibility in the future though. Once Wade gets a new contract, then they'll have 2 max players.

pizza guy
06-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Of course it was worth it. Especially if Payton and Zo walk after this year...

8.9_seconds
06-22-2006, 12:48 AM
I don't like Miami winning for the soul purpose that I can't stand Shaq, but it was worth it to watch Guys like Gary Payton and Alonzo Mourning to get was rightfully theirs. Hell, add Pat and Wade in there too.

indytoad
06-22-2006, 01:03 AM
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

I have nothing else to add.

IndyToad
Yes

GO!!!!!
06-22-2006, 05:36 AM
Yes Sir

BillS
06-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Those loyal Marlins fans who still love their team and go to every game after ownership put it all on the line would surely agree with you ...

... what's that? There aren't that many Marlins fans any more? The team is in trouble?

Oh.

But, it was worth it, wasn't it?

Slick Pinkham
06-22-2006, 02:53 PM
The current plight of the Marlins has to do with poor ownership and a desire to have a AAA payroll in order to attract a buyer for the team.

Shaq makes more money than the Marlins entire 40 man roster. Yes, that is true. 14 million dollar payroll!

It is irrelevant to the Heat situation.

BillS
06-22-2006, 03:32 PM
The current plight of the Marlins has to do with poor ownership and a desire to have a AAA payroll in order to attract a buyer for the team.

Shaq makes more money than the Marlins entire 40 man roster. Yes, that is true. 14 million dollar payroll!

It is irrelevant to the Heat situation.

Sorry, it is very relevent to the question. No matter what the reason, the Marlins went from Champion to Chump. The question was that if this happens to the Heat (because Shaq falls apart, retirements happen, and chemistry problems hit), would the single championship be worth it?

Are you saying that the only reason Marlins fans didn't think it was worth it was because management blew up, but if it had been the same players (ignoring that there was no way they could have kept that championship payroll going no matter how good management was) who fell apart it would somehow have been acceptable?

I say no way, in general it is "what have you done for me lately" where "lately" has a memory of no more than 3 years.

JayRedd
06-22-2006, 08:20 PM
1) Hell yes.

1) Yes,

2) Yes,

3) Hell Yes.

Yes! No doubt about it. Winning a championship makes it worthwhile, for the players and the fans and the franchise. The afterglow from a championship must last three years at a minimum.

Every one of you seems to think that the Heat winning is worth even up to a decade of failure. And I agree with you all totally. The Red Sox could trade Manny, Papi and Beckett straight up for Jose Mesa right now, and I wouldn't even care (that's a HUGE lie, but bare with me here) because they have that 2004 ring.

So if winning a ring is the entire goal like I believe it is, what's so wrong with blowing up this team now for the future? I'm not even half as pessimistic about JO's abililty to lead this team as most, but are there any minor tweaks that are gonna get us into contention next year? The one after that? How about the one after that? Like it or not, this is about to be DWade and Lebron's league. If we get lucky, maybe one will end up in the West, but the likely road to the Finals is gonna always go through at least one of these guys, not to mention a pretty solid Pistons squad for at least 2-3 mores years. Plus you gotta deal with the TD, Ginobli and Parker trifecta until 2010. Dallas has a great core too. Is there anyway we can compete with these guys without a major overhaul? Meaning, at least getting one more bonafide Superstar to play with JO or instead building that same thing around KG or Paul Pierce or whoever else.

Maybe it's just me, but after a decade and a half of ECF appearances, 2nd Round playoff runs and one Finals appearance, the threat of missing the playoffs for a year or two in order to reload our roster with talent doesn't really bother me. It will be terrible, but not much worse than going into the Playoffs knowing we have no real shot at winning the whole thing like the last two years. Why not blow it up and get under the cap to make a run at Paul Pierce, Wade, Carmelo or another guy who will be a free agent in two years?

Look at the Bulls situations right now. They have deng/gordon/hinrich/chandler/draft pick and possibly the best financial situation in the league right now and are about to be contenders in two to three years depending on how their players mature. Toronto is also in pretty good shape to make a run with Bosh/Villanueva/draft pick/free agent signing in a couple of years. And it's all based on financial flexibility.

But us? We're just sitting in purgatory here, not quite in hell (competitively anyway) but nowhere near where we want to be.

efx
06-22-2006, 09:42 PM
Of course, what more can you ask for in one season?

grace
06-23-2006, 12:53 AM
:censored: YEAH![/Team America]

BillS
06-23-2006, 10:21 AM
Every one of you seems to think that the Heat winning is worth even up to a decade of failure. And I agree with you all totally. The Red Sox could trade Manny, Papi and Beckett straight up for Jose Mesa right now, and I wouldn't even care (that's a HUGE lie, but bare with me here) because they have that 2004 ring..

See, but the Red Sox are not a good example. They have a long-term fan base that supports the team through thick and thin. They already know how flexible their fans will be if they blow it all up and start over.

We know from history that Indiana Pacers fans are not that flexible. As we've seen even on this board, anything approaching a bad season (or even heading toward a bad season) and people move their support to other things.

So it comes down to the same argument we have every time we discuss the Donnie Walsh strategy. Do you try to get your city a championship and risk losing the team a few years later (or, worst case, before the team gels enough to get that championship), or do you put a team of sufficient quality in play that keeps people coming year after year even though you don't take the risks to go over the top?

I have a nightmare that the team is blown up, it rebuilds very slowly but surely, the attendance drops like a stone because the team isn't successful, and the successors to the Simons sell it off to a consortium that moves the team to Las Vegas right as they become championship caliber. :shudder: