http://nbadraft.net/prevenas066.asp

D-BONE
06-21-2006, 07:47 AM
If you would like a very sarcastic read you have to read the following
on nbadraft.net
Was it really that bad as far as officiating goes or was it the new emphasis
on not impeding the perimeter players?

http://nbadraft.net/prevenas066.asp

That's pretty funny. I especially liked the part about Dirk reading Nietzche to the team after the game 5 loss. Wade looked like the second coming of Jordan during the last 4 games. Doctrine of eternal recurrence?

Seriously, I don't think the refs decided the series. But I must say I found game 5 to be outright ridiculous. Wade is to hard to stop minus so many cheap fouls. I was just happy to see Miami the team win game 6.

As great as MJ was, I really don't want a complete return to the style of play the article describes. I detested watching those games. Bored me to death. Only period in my life where it became unimportant to me to view the finals. I realize that there will always be some vestige of it in NBA play, just would like to avoid the extreme version.

owl
06-21-2006, 10:09 AM
I would have to agree the Jordan era was tough time to watch or look
for team basketball. With Magic and Bird they were singularly great players
but they still won as a team. With the trend toward perimeter players
domiinating how will this influence the Pacers in the draft?
Is Brandon Roy someone who Bird is eyeing and not Morrison?

owl

FrenchConnection
06-21-2006, 10:17 AM
I would have to agree the Jordan era was tough time to watch or look
for team basketball. With Magic and Bird they were singularly great players
but they still won as a team. With the trend toward perimeter players
domiinating how will this influence the Pacers in the draft?
Is Brandon Roy someone who Bird is eyeing and not Morrison?

owl

No, just because the Heat won this year does not erase the success that the Pistons and Spurs had playing team basketball. I would like DW and Bird to build a team more in that mold, but more like the Spurs (better offensive flow) than the 2003/2004 and 2004/2005 Pistons. Without Shaq hogging the middle and drawing a double team, Wade doesn't do what he did and since there are no more Shaqs around the Heat do not provide a model to emulate.

Chauncey
06-21-2006, 10:38 AM
The problem is that the refs called the game as it should be called and the Mavericks insisted on playing defense close to the same way teams have been for the past 15 years.

If you really want to finally fix things in the NBA..there's only one way and that's to make defenders start using their feet.

One way to do that? Simple. 5 fouls and you're out. If you want to be on the floor for your team, for your contract, for your new mortgage, you'll learn to defend without using your hands or you'll average about 15 mins a game because of foul trouble.

ChicagoJ
06-21-2006, 11:01 AM
The problem is that the refs called the game as it should be called and the Mavericks insisted on playing defense close to the same way teams have been for the past 15 years.

If you really want to finally fix things in the NBA..there's only one way and that's to make defenders start using their feet.

One way to do that? Simple. 5 fouls and you're out. If you want to be on the floor for your team, for your contract, for your new mortgage, you'll learn to defend without using your hands or you'll average about 15 mins a game because of foul trouble.

Absolutely 100% true. Its the reverse of Chuck Daly's philosophy, and its completely over-due. That is not and never was basketball. And this physical/ thuggery version of defense that many teams still play today has contributed to the demise of the "team game".

And after being preached to that Dallas' quick backcourt was the wave of the future, I can't figure if Wade was just that much quicker than the Mavericks' backcourt? And if not, why did the Mavericks play away from their alledged strength? Bad coaching? Falling back into old habits? Identity crisis? Why didn't they move their feet better? Its not like they were playing back-to-backs, so they can't use fatigue as an excuse.

Speed kills. But I expected Dallas' overall team speed to overmatch Wade + a team of relatively slow players.

And frankly, Miami - even with Wade's greatness - still played more like a team than Dallas. Miami has plenty of fading stars who spent their prime years as their team's #1 option. Yet they were all willing, to a man, to accept their role on a team. And yet they all made important contributions during The Finals.

Roy Munson
06-21-2006, 12:11 PM
And frankly, Miami - even with Wade's greatness - still played more like a team than Dallas.

How? By obediantly getting out of the way when D. Wade got the ball.

Seriously, I don't think the refs decided the series.

You and about two other people in America.

That's a nice empty platitude, which in this case, doesn't apply.

naptownmenace
06-21-2006, 12:56 PM
How? By obediantly getting out of the way when D. Wade got the ball.

You have to admit that if it wasn't for Haslem, Walker, Posey, Mourning, and GP the Heat would be facing a game 7 right now. If you remove any one of those players it was a loss. Mourning and Haslem had possibly their best games of the season when it counted most.

The Mavs held Wade to 6 points in the 3rd quarter and Shaq was virtually non-existant. Mourning and Haslem provided the scoring. The Heat won game 6 as a team.

You and about two other people in America.

That's a nice empty platitude, which in this case, doesn't apply.

Well, add me to the list of people that don't think the officials decided the outcome of the game.

Turnovers and poor defensive rebounding is what did Dallas in last night. The refs had little to do with them not taking care of the ball and not boxing out.

ChicagoJ
06-21-2006, 01:13 PM
The refs were trying their damndest to force a Game #7. Miami had the mental toughness to overcome that obstacle. That's all.

Kegboy
06-21-2006, 01:14 PM
The refs were trying their damndest to force a Game #7. Miami had the mental toughness to overcome that obstacle. That's all.

KFC

or is it QFC? KPQ?

:confused:

Shade
06-21-2006, 01:36 PM

True. But if they hadn't given Wade phantom foul after touch foul all game long, they wouldn't have had to try so hard at the end.

Dallas' problem is that they didn't go after Wade on the other end. Wade is not a strong defender. And he tends to be a turnover machine if you double him.

Roy Munson
06-21-2006, 01:38 PM
You have to admit that if it wasn't for Haslem, Walker, Posey, Mourning, and GP the Heat would be facing a game 7 right now. If you remove any one of those players it was a loss. Mourning and Haslem had possibly their best games of the season when it counted most.

The Mavs held Wade to 6 points in the 3rd quarter and Shaq was virtually non-existant. Mourning and Haslem provided the scoring. The Heat won game 6 as a team.

I agree that Haslem, Walker and Mourning were GREAT on the boards and hustling on D. I said at one point during the game last night "Look at Walker!! He's getting every rebound! Is that really Antoine Walker?"

And I know that that Miami did a good job of moving the ball, particularly Shaq passing out of the double-team.

But really, the SERIES was about Wade and his ability to get to the free throw line any time he drove near a Mav defender. Last night's game wasn't as grossly officiated as #3 and #5.

Mordecaii
06-21-2006, 08:35 PM
I disagree Shade, I think Wade has some of the best defense for an "all-around player"... I do hope he continues to improve, but I think his D is better than Lebron's and better than most other people that score 25+ points a game. Kobe is the only possible exception.

pizza guy
06-22-2006, 12:53 AM
Yes, the officiating was bad, but Dallas choked away the series. I expected Miami to take one or two home games, but not all three and the next in Dallas. Dallas had two games in which they (Dirk actually) missed free throws in the final minute that could've sealed it for them; they had a 14-pt lead in Game 6 and blew it.

You can make an argument that the refs effected this one, and it'd be a good argument - but missing probable game-winners from the free throw line and blowing a 14 pt lead is nothing but a monumental choke job.

Bball
06-22-2006, 01:29 AM
If Dwade is Superman than who is Darko? Perhaps that is a question for Kstat....
:devil:

-Bball

Robertmto
06-22-2006, 02:18 AM
True. But if they hadn't given Wade phantom foul after touch foul all game long, they wouldn't have had to try so hard at the end.

EXACTLY

Robertmto
06-22-2006, 02:23 AM
Super-human Feedback
<!--Updated 3.30.04-->

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=665 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><STYLE> .input1{font-size:12px;font-face:arial;width:280px} .select1{font-size:12px;font-face:arial;width:280px} .subm1{font-size:13px;font-face:arial;width:80px} </STYLE>
By Nick Prevenas (nick.prevenas@gmail.com%20)
6/21/06

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD width=13> </TD><TD width=240></TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width=13 height=19> </TD><TD width=240></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Due to the almost unprecedented amount of feedback I received from my "D-Wade: The Transcendent Super-human" article, I thought I had better clarify a few of the points I was trying to make.
When I first checked my email early Wednesday morning, the letters were split about 50/50 (with one cheerful reader telling me that I'm what's wrong with journalism), but eventually grew to 80/20 in favor of the article by the time I finished my lunch. Clearly, the average unbiased NBA fan is growing increasingly frustrated with the shoddy officiating and how it is determining not only the outcome of the games, but the atmosphere of the action, as well. Mike Breen and Hubie Brown rarely made a reference to the inexplicable officiating, even though everyone I know that cares about the NBA was staring at the TV in shock. The only visible, mainstream sports voice addressing these issues is ESPN.com's Bill Simmons, and that is where our frustrations lie.
(Speaking of the Sports Guy, a few readers accused the article of ripping him off, when I was clearly ripping off DJ Gallo's style. Get your snarky sportswriters straight, people.)
When the refs screw up, they need to be held accountable. The atmosphere the officials created allowed the Miami Heat to turn their offensive game-plan into one of those NFL-type offenses where the quarterback throws the ball deep, hoping to get a pass interference call. According to Scoop Jackson, giving Dwyane Wade the ball during crunch-time makes Pat Riley a genius. I'm pretty sure I would've come up with the same game-plan, given the same set of circumstances. I'm sure anyone reading this article would've come up with that game-plan. Therefore, we're all geniuses.
Again, I don't want to make it sound like I'm bad-mouthing D-Wade. He made absolutely every necessary play and raised his game to a remarkable level. It would be foolish to argue that anyone is better at this moment in time. It's just that when a guy gets EVERY key call in a four-game stretch, the unbiased fan subconsciously begins to resent it. Had Dirk Nowitzki gotten the same treatment from the refs, we'd all subconsciously resent Dirk. Had LeBron James made it to the Finals this year, he would've gotten the same treatment from the officials. If you don't believe me, ask any Wizards fan who watched Bron Bron four-step his way to a pair of game-winners in the first round.
I've constantly argued that the officials never solely determine the outcome of a game, and that is also true in this case. Dallas choked, Miami made the key plays, and that's that. But the atmosphere the officials created seeped into the Mavs' collective psyche, leading them to think that they're never going to catch a break. Josh Howard and Devin Harris were afraid to D-up on Wade, because they had no idea what they were allowed to do on defense. On the other side, Udonis Haslem was given carte blanche to play physical (and legal) defense on Nowitzki throughout the series.
The main concern for Commissioner Stern and the NBA league office this off-season is to rectify the officiating situation. This has been going on too long and has been getting steadily worse every season. Casual fans are growing frustrated and the die-hards are furious.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://www.nbadraft.net/prevenas067.asp (http://www.nbadraft.net/prevenas067.asp)

Had LeBron James made it to the Finals this year, he would've gotten the same treatment from the officials. If you don't believe me, ask any Wizards fan who watched Bron Bron four-step his way to a pair of game-winners in the first round.

I AM GONNA HELP CUBES KILL STERN!! :mad:

D-BONE
06-22-2006, 08:36 AM
I've constantly argued that the officials never solely determine the outcome of a game, and that is also true in this case. Dallas choked, Miami made the key plays, and that's that. But the atmosphere the officials created seeped into the Mavs' collective psyche, leading them to think that they're never going to catch a break. Josh Howard and Devin Harris were afraid to D-up on Wade, because they had no idea what they were allowed to do on defense. On the other side, Udonis Haslem was given carte blanche to play physical (and legal) defense on Nowitzki throughout the series.

My sentiments exactly. In addition, Dallas lost its collective composure regarding the situation.

However, the unfair, inconsistent preferential call stuff for some individual players should be erradicated at all costs. There's no way to deny it's existence, but the old it's just part of the NBA addage is not a valid excuse IMO.

Ara
06-22-2006, 06:30 PM
nice article! :D