PDA

View Full Version : Still proud of my guys......the Dallas Mavericks

Fireball Kid
06-21-2006, 12:18 AM
I don't really know what to say right now........but here goes.

I really thought the Dallas Mavericks were the better team. In my heart, I thought we were going to win the NBA championship. Apparently, I was wrong. Miami..........you know.....congrats. They deserved it. They got one hell of a player in Dwayne Wade. Hes got my respect. And Zo too. He was blocking everything, 5 blocks I think?

The Heat just had more passion then us, they wanted this game more as if they were willing to give there life for an NBA Championship. So again, congrats to Miami and all the Heat fans.

I'm not gonna lie. I cried a little when Terry missed that shot at the end and...........the Heat were celebrating.

Dallas...........you know........maybe we'll get it next year.

Lord Helmet
06-21-2006, 12:21 AM

I really thought the Dallas Mavericks were the better team. In my heart, I thought we were going to win the NBA championship. Apparently, I was wrong. Miami..........you know.....congrats. They deserved it. They got one hell of a player in Dwayne Wade. Hes got my respect. And Zo too. He was blocking everything, 5 blocks I think?

The Heat just had more passion then us, they wanted this game more as if they were willing to give there life for an NBA Championship. So again, congrats to Miami and all the Heat fans.

I'm not gonna lie. I cried a little when Terry missed that shot at the end and...........the Heat were celebrating.

Yeah, I wished the Mavs could have won, but you know, you'll probably be right back there.

This must feel like the Colts loss to me, and for that, I am sorry.

Unclebuck
06-21-2006, 12:24 AM
I think the Mavs need to make some changes, Terry, Howard and Daniels just didn't get it done. We'll trade you Jax, Tinsley and Fred Jones for those three. You'll be better for it.

travmil
06-21-2006, 12:26 AM
I doubt that Dallas will make it back with this same group. Jason Terry is a free agent, and TONS of teams are going to be calling about Stack because his contract expires after next season to the tune of $8 mil.

Unclebuck
06-21-2006, 12:27 AM
I doubt that Dallas will make it back with this same group. Jason Terry is a free agent, and TONS of teams are going to be calling about Stack because his contract expires after next season to the tune of $8 mil.

That is why they need to trade us all their good players. The Mavs are through

SoupIsGood
06-21-2006, 12:29 AM
They had a great season! And best of all, don't need a whole lot of changes outside of retaining free agents. They have a lot to look forward to.

Next year, Suns, Mavs, and Spurs are really going to battle it out.

travmil
06-21-2006, 12:30 AM
Oh I'd gladly give them Jax and Tins in a sign and trade for Terry and some filler. But Dallas would be crazy to give up Howard and Daniels.

Unclebuck
06-21-2006, 12:31 AM
They had a great season! And best of all, don't need a whole lot of changes outside of retaining free agents. They have a lot to look forward to.

Next year, Suns, Mavs, and Spurs are really going to battle it out.

The Mavs are in great shape. I wouldn't really make any changes. They just need their young players to get this experience.

Shade
06-21-2006, 12:31 AM
The problem is, Dallas' window may have already closed. Phoenix will be up there again next year, and SA will be looking for revenge. A healthy Houston could be a legit threat as well.

In the East, a Heat/Cavs matchup would be classic. The Pistons will be upper tier, but their window may be closed now as well. And who knows what the hell the Pacers will look like... :shrug:

Bball
06-21-2006, 12:32 AM
Miami w/Dwade is going to be a dynasty. Dallas, or anyone else, doesn't stand a chance against them at their current level. Dallas needs to rebuild on the fly and be ready to swoop in as Miami slumps when Shaq finally falls off too much. The current Dallas team had their chance and couldn't get it done. Time to overhaul the team.

:devil:

-Bball

Unclebuck
06-21-2006, 12:33 AM
Dallas will only get better

SoupIsGood
06-21-2006, 12:33 AM
The Mavs are in great shape. I wouldn't really make any changes. They just need their young players to get this experience.

Yup.

This is the kind of team that should take a project in the draft.

pacerwaala
06-21-2006, 12:34 AM
I think the Mavs need to make some changes, Terry, Howard and Daniels just didn't get it done. We'll trade you Jax, Tinsley and Fred Jones for those three. You'll be better for it.

UB, fax that trade to Cuban tonight. He might sign off on it because he probabaly will be pissed and drunk tonight.

D-BONE
06-21-2006, 12:36 AM
Fireball Kid, your loyalty is admirable.

CableKC
06-21-2006, 12:44 AM
Frakkin Dampier.........he cost me 40 bucks....that's why the Warriors didn't want to resign him for so much.......he has hands of stone.

bulletproof
06-21-2006, 03:36 AM
Freakin' Dwayne Wade. That's all I have to say and that's all that needs to be said.

Steve McQueen
06-21-2006, 04:04 AM
A healthy Tinsley is a better player than a healthy Terry imo. Much more complete, the only edge I'd give Terry is in long distance shooting.

Ofcourse now I'm going to be called crazy because Tinsleys stock is at an all-time low while Terrys is at an all-time high. But really, Tinsley is such a complete player, I really dont think a lot of you Pacer fans relieze just how complete his game is. Scoring, rebounding, passing, steals...he does it all. Terry is a great shooter, but outside of that he's very mediocre.

I just wish for once Tinsley could stay healthy for an entire season so the entire NBA could finally see what a special player he is.

Chauncey
06-21-2006, 06:13 AM
Choke job by the Mavs. The Heat are the worst team to win the NBA championship in the last 25 years or so.

A healthy Tinsley is a better player than a healthy Terry imo. .

GTFOH

Steve McQueen
06-21-2006, 06:31 AM
Choke job by the Mavs. The Heat are the worst team to win the NBA championship in the last 25 years or so.

GTFOH
Looks like Jason Terry is this years winner of the annual "Player Who Gets Massively Overrated In The Playoffs" Award. Past winners include; Kenyon Martin (Nets), Manu Ginobili (Spurs), Austin Croshere (Pacers), and multi-time winner Robert Horry (Rockets, Lakers, Spurs).

Sorry, but Terry is a one-dimensional player, purely a shooter, whereas a healthy Tinsley brings a little bit (scoring) to a lot of (playmaking, rebounding, steals) everything to the table.

But like I said, Terry's stock is at an all-time high, Tinsley's at an all-time low. I just hope Terry signs with some lotto team, and Tinsley can stay healthy for the entire season. Then we'll go back over this again at seasons end. ;)

Chauncey
06-21-2006, 06:41 AM
Looks like Jason Terry is this years winner of the annual "Player Who Gets Massively Overrated In The Playoffs" Award. Past winners include; Kenyon Martin (Nets), Manu Ginobili (Spurs), Austin Croshere (Pacers), and multi-time winner Robert Horry (Rockets, Lakers, Spurs).

Sorry, but Terry is a one-dimensional player, purely a shooter, whereas a healthy Tinsley brings a little bit (scoring) to a lot of (playmaking, rebounding, steals) everything to the table.

And it looks like you're living in fantasyland.

D-BONE
06-21-2006, 06:44 AM

I dunno, Steve McQ. I don't think Ginobili and Horry are/were overrated. I'm not sure KMart was overrated at that point either. Croshere is a no brainer. Horry I think was always seen as a big time playoff role player moreso than that much of a regular season star.

Only time will tell if Terry can raise his game to the level he played most of this series consistently. However, I think he's already proven himself as a solid PG in the league. Definitely more than some one hit wonder type deal a la Richard Dumas.

Steve McQueen
06-21-2006, 06:50 AM
And it looks like you're living in fantasyland.
Care to point out where I'm wrong?

I dunno, Steve McQ. I don't think Ginobili and Horry are/were overrated. I'm not sure KMart was overrated at that point either. Croshere is a no brainer. Horry I think was always seen as a big time playoff role player moreso than that much of a regular season star.

Only time will tell if Terry can raise his game to the level he played most of this series consistently. However, I think he's already proven himself as a solid PG in the league. Definitely more than some one hit wonder type deal a la Richard Dumas.
There were people talking about Manu in the same breath as Kobe, T-Mac, and LeBron.
There were people saying K-Mart was better than Jermaine O'Neal, with a straight face.
There's people talking about sending Robert Horry to the Hall of Fame.

I'd say all three qualify as massively overrated.

As for Terry, he's exactly what I said he is: a great shooter, a good scorer, and not much else. ofcourse because he happened to play for a stacked team that made it to the Finals, he's now a basketball God, and all those 15 win seasons in Atlanta are erased from memory.

D-BONE
06-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Care to point out where I'm wrong?

There were people talking about Manu in the same breath as Kobe, T-Mac, and LeBron.
There were people saying K-Mart was better than Jermaine O'Neal, with a straight face.
There's people talking about sending Robert Horry to the Hall of Fame.

I'd say all three qualify as massively overrated.

If you insist. I never said them, nor would I agree with any of those statements. That doesn't devalue their contributions to their various teams in the playoffs.

More importantly, Manu and Horry both have multiple rings. In fact, Horry has like five. Yes he was far from the main man on those squads but don't tell me he doesn't qualify as one of the top clutch players in Finals history.

T-Mac, LeBron, DWade, and JO can't say that. KMart has multiple finals appearances and JO hasn't got any. Perhaps someday that will be different.

The ultimate goal is to get to and win the finals anyway, not compile gaudy regular season stats being a one man show. I would argue T-Mac is quickly becoming one of the more overrated players in this era of the league. What the hell have his teams done ever in the postseason?

Steve McQueen
06-21-2006, 07:16 AM
If you insist. I never said them, nor would I agree with any of those statements. That doesn't devalue their contributions to their various teams in the playoffs.
I never said they were bad players, I just don't feel they're what fans make them out to be, because of this ignorant logic that if a player plays on a winning team hes superior to an equally skilled player on a losing team. Terry's no better than he was in Atlanta, yet at the time a proposed Tinsley-for-Terry deal was proposed, most Pacer fans were against it. Now he goes to a stacked team and has some team success, and he's being talked about like he's some perenial All-Star.

More importantly, Manu and Horry both have multiple rings. In fact, Horry has like five. Yes he was far from the main man on those squads but don't tell me he doesn't qualify as one of the top clutch players in Finals history.
He's hit big shots yeah, but he's so average throughout that I'd hardly qualify him as one of the most clutch players in Finals history. There's more to being clutch then doing nothing for 47:55 and then hitting a shot in the closing seconds.

T-Mac, LeBron, DWade, and JO can't say that. KMart has multiple finals appearances and JO hasn't got any. Perhaps someday that will be different.
K-Mart played with a 1st ballot Hall of Fame point guard in arguably the weakest conferences in NBA history. Replace K-Mart with JO, and the Nets wouldn't have been embarassed by the Lakers in 2002, and they could've easily beaten the Spurs in 2003. And replace Manu with a healthy T-Mac, and Dallas goes home in round 2.

The ultimate goal is to get to and win the finals anyway, not compile gaudy regular season stats being a one man show. I would argue T-Mac is quickly becoming one of the more overrated players in this era of the league. What the hell have his teams done ever in the postseason?
You don't seem to understand the differences between team success and individual success. I guess every player who doesn't have the good fortune of playing on a competent automatically sucks.

D-BONE
06-21-2006, 07:34 AM
Steve McQ, I don't totally disagree with you. The statements you put forth about those players in you initial post are certainly exaggerated claims.

Yes I understand the difference between team and individual success. To have team success you need strong individual players and strong role players. That's precisely why I say these guys should not be overlooked. The relationship is reciprocal. The so-called star or superstar needs the great role player and vice versa.

Probably what's really coming out here is my dislike for the who's better arguments period. Too much focus on individual value. It's never really that simple of a comparison.

I will have to agree to disagree with you on Horry. I'm not saying hall of fame but the guy's made too many game winning shots for me to dismiss it as good timing. Plus, I do think he was leaned on more heavily earlier in his career during Houston's post season runs.

Slick Pinkham
06-21-2006, 09:10 AM
Steve McQ:

You underestimate the enormous quickness advantage that Terry has on Tinsley. He was able to beat his man for mid-range pull-up jumpers any time he wanted.

Dallas should have exploited Payton and J-Will more and not kept shooting 3's and 20-footers, especially in the 3rd when they missed 12 in a row. Marquis Daniels seemed to be the only one to understand this.

ChicagoJ
06-21-2006, 11:17 AM
I look for Popovich and the Spurs to make a couple minor adjustments based on the Dallas series - that was a phenomenal playoff series and last year's champs are just a small tweak (and healthy feet for Duncan) from getting back to The Finals.

And I look for Riley to continue to improve the Heat's roster, making moves that everyone will criticize when they are made but part of a master plan. He knows he had to get more help for Wade, and something tells me he'll succeed.

CableKC
06-21-2006, 01:08 PM

But like I said, Terry's stock is at an all-time high, Tinsley's at an all-time low. I just hope Terry signs with some lotto team, and Tinsley can stay healthy for the entire season. Then we'll go back over this again at seasons end. ;)

For this year...my vote goes to Bonzi Wells........a solid SG/SF...but way overrated simply cuz of his playoff performance this year.

At least Terry carried part of the load for 3 playoff series.....

Kegboy
06-21-2006, 01:10 PM
For this year...my vote goes to Bonzi Wells........a solid SG/SF...but way overrated simply cuz of his playoff performance this year.

At least Terry carried part of the load for 3 playoff series.....

With a watered-down FA market and many teams with cap space, I think there's gonna be multiple winners this year.

FrenchConnection
06-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Freakin' Dwayne Wade. That's all I have to say and that's all that needs to be said.

I hate Dwayne Wade!

Lord Helmet
06-21-2006, 05:54 PM
I hate Dwayne Wade!
I really find nothing to hate about Wade, rather than the calls he gets.

I'd embrace him if he were here. I mean, like what Hicks has said before, this guy is basically a superstar and he's not all egotistical about it. He's very humble.

Ara
06-21-2006, 07:49 PM
I hate Dwayne Wade!

I hate him ony because he had a large role in beating the Mavericks. Otherwise, he's still one of my favorite players :)

Big Smooth
06-21-2006, 07:53 PM

The Mavs took some big steps forward by beating the Spurs and reaching The Finals. I really thought Dallas would still win the series even down 3-2. A lot of times in the NBA you have to fail before you succeed. If Dallas is back in the Finals next year then they will be able to draw upon this series for some lessons on closing the deal.