PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with American Sports?

NorCal_Pacerfan
06-20-2006, 10:44 PM
What's wrong with American Sports? Two words:
Commercial Advertising.

I can't even begin to count how many commercials there are before, during and after the game. Even when they come back from a commercial break, they fake you out by ramming a few more commercials into your brain. It's disgusting. It's down right sick and pathetic. I can barely even watch tv anymore because I'm sick to death of being sold crap that I don't want or need. I'm sick to death of being told that crappy beer is good, or that if I buy Nike products I'm going to be somebody. In fact, commercials have the opposite affect on me. The more adverstising I see for a product, the more turned off I am by it.

Now, if you want to see how it should be done, then watch the World Cup. No breaks, no time outs, no official time outs, no :censored: Bull$heite, just true, pure, sport for sports sake.

Hey, while I'm at it, I was thinking, maybe we should petition the NBA to rename the teams after corporations? Why not? The arenas and stadiums are all named by Corps, so why not the teams? Let's change the Pacer's from Indiana to the Conseco Pacers! Yeah, the Nike Heat, The Bank of America Mavericks!

:rolleyes:

travmil
06-20-2006, 10:50 PM
Well, I'll go one better.

Many alcohol and tobacco companies put their advertisements on the boards that are directly behind the camera angles that are used in baseball. So when a pitcher is shown leaning over waiting for his sign from the catcher, there is a big Marlboro banner in full view behind him. Do you think that's an accident coming from a company that can't legally buy commercial air time?

hmm....after searching Getty images and not finding a single instance of what I described here, I did a little research. Apparently this year a new rule went into effect as a result of the big tobacco settlement from a few years back that put restrictions on advertising in sports arenas for tobacco companies. The only baseball park that still has tobacco advertising is Toronto. Good.

Ragnar
06-20-2006, 11:15 PM
Commercial Advertising.

I can't even begin to count how many commercials there are before, during and after the game. Even when they come back from a commercial break, they fake you out by ramming a few more commercials into your brain. It's disgusting. It's down right sick and pathetic. I can barely even watch tv anymore because I'm sick to death of being sold crap that I don't want or need. I'm sick to death of being told that crappy beer is good, or that if I buy Nike products I'm going to be somebody. In fact, commercials have the opposite affect on me. The more adverstising I see for a product, the more turned off I am by it.

Now, if you want to see how it should be done, then watch the World Cup. No breaks, no time outs, no official time outs, no :censored: Bull$heite, just true, pure, sport for sports sake.

Hey, while I'm at it, I was thinking, maybe we should petition the NBA to rename the teams after corporations? Why not? The arenas and stadiums are all named by Corps, so why not the teams? Let's change the Pacer's from Indiana to the Conseco Pacers! Yeah, the Nike Heat, The Bank of America Mavericks!

If there are no commercials for the world cup on American TV its because they cant sell a spot. I will have to take your word for it because like the rest of America I am not watching.

You say American sports as if we are the only country to have ads and comercial sponsors for our sports. I would suggest you look into that a little bit more. Have you seen an F1 car? Have you noticed that soccer teams shirts have sponser names ON them.

efx
06-20-2006, 11:19 PM
Ragnar,

It's hard to put a commercial spot in a game where the only break literally from the game is at half-time.

NorCal_Pacerfan
06-20-2006, 11:34 PM
If there are no commercials for the world cup on American TV its because they cant sell a spot. I will have to take your word for it because like the rest of America I am not watching.

You say American sports as if we are the only country to have ads and comercial sponsors for our sports. I would suggest you look into that a little bit more. Have you seen an F1 car? Have you noticed that soccer teams shirts have sponser names ON them.

There are plenty of advertisers for the World Cup, and there are plenty of Americans watching. The difference is that American sports are molded AROUND commercials (the refs stop the game for commercials). Football, or Soccer, doesn't stop the game to sell you something. The advertisers can sell before, in the middle, and after the game. If you aren't familar with how popular the World Cup is here and abroad, then I don't think you are paying attention. But obviously it isn't as popular here as in the rest of THE WORLD (pretty much).

Hey, if you like being told how to act, what to think and how to spend your money, that's your prerogative. But I still have the right to voice my disgust about it.

Hicks
06-21-2006, 12:01 AM
What's wrong with American Sports?

The Miami Heat just won an NBA title.

tadscout
06-21-2006, 12:07 AM

:amen:

And the last two teams to win the Stanley Cup are from Florida and Carolina...

NorCal_Pacerfan
06-21-2006, 12:09 AM

Add that to the top of my rant, please! Bluaah is all I can think about that.

D-BONE
06-21-2006, 12:26 AM
Commercial Advertising.

This is hilarious. And I mean that in a GOOD way!

grace
06-21-2006, 01:05 AM

Uh, I think that's already been brought up. I seem to remember some thread talking about how they'd eventually put ads on the jerseys.

Do I think there are too many commercials during sporting events? Of course. Do I think there are too many commercials during movies on TV? :censored: yes. It is the way it is and there isn't a whole lot any of us can do about it.

NorCal_Pacerfan
06-21-2006, 01:23 AM
Uh, I think that's already been brought up. I seem to remember some thread talking about how they'd eventually put ads on the jerseys.

Do I think there are too many commercials during sporting events? Of course. Do I think there are too many commercials during movies on TV? :censored: yes. It is the way it is and there isn't a whole lot any of us can do about it.

Well, when it comes to watching live sports on TV, you're right, there isn't much we can do about it (besides mute or change the channel). As for movies on tv, I record them all to my computer before I watch and then I can skip through the commercials.

BoomBaby31
06-21-2006, 02:14 AM
Commercial Advertising.

I can't even begin to count how many commercials there are before, during and after the game. Even when they come back from a commercial break, they fake you out by ramming a few more commercials into your brain. It's disgusting. It's down right sick and pathetic. I can barely even watch TV anymore because I'm sick to death of being sold crap that I don't want or need. I'm sick to death of being told that crappy beer is good, or that if I buy Nike products I'm going to be somebody. In fact, commercials have the opposite affect on me. The more advertising I see for a product, the more turned off I am by it.

It's not the advertisements directly it's the indirect effects of advertisement because they generate so much money the NBA, NFL is no longer a sport it's a money hungry business. American players are the worst (not athletism) morally, greedy, whining etc.. Some of these guys are 30+ and have to be told how to dress for goodness sakes. We have multimillion dollar players that demand trades, will simply not play or play only to half of their ability. If they don't get traded to where they want, they throw some irrelevant remark or (as before) won't play. I'm not knocking America just solely talking about our sports being filled with a bunch of unappreciative *******s.
Other countries don't have this problem Example, we try so hard to recruit superstar Soccer players to gain popularity here in America the mega stars won't do it because they love the sport. The L.A MLS team literally offered David Beckham 3 times his salary 32 million a year to play here and he didn't if budge. There isn't one N.B.A that wouldn't stab his whole team in the back, his family etc.. and split for that type of cash. It's refreshing to watch the world cup; hear the supporters in the crowd chant their national anthem, pray, cry, shake and shiver. Then when the players score they are so filled with joy I've had tears in my eyes twice during this world cup because it was so touching. One imperticular was during an Iran game after a goal was scored the guy just fell do his knees, got all tear eyed, started to pray, and hugged everyone around him it was awesome. Here in America if people started praying or chanting the national anthem while another country was present it would be disrespectful and made a huge "controversy" by our media. I love sports but, they are 100% going down hill quickly. I think America wants more "pure" sports and this is why NASCAR is gaining so many more watchers every year because they don't have to deal with these situations. They pray before most races, and it's a pretty blue collar comfortable feeling sport. I don't love NASCAR as a sport but, I love NASCAR for what it stands for (if that makes since). Soccer will gain popularity, sooner or later be nice a pure first then go down hill rapidly just like the NBA and NFL.

Ron who?
06-21-2006, 02:23 AM
It's not the advertisements directly it's the indirect effects of advertisement because they generate so much money the NBA, NFL is no longer a sport it's a money hungry business. American players are the worst (not athletism) morally, greedy, whining etc.. Some of these guys are 30+ and have to be told how to dress for goodness sakes. We have multimillion dollar players that demand trades, will simply not play or play only to half of their ability. If they don't get traded to where they want, they throw some irrelevant remark or (as before) won't play. I'm not knocking America just solely talking about our sports being filled with a bunch of unappreciative *******s.
Other countries don't have this problem Example, we try so hard to recruit superstar Soccer players to gain popularity here in America the mega stars won't do it because they love the sport. The L.A MLS team literally offered David Beckham 3 times his salary 32 million a year to play here and he didn't if budge. There isn't one N.B.A that wouldn't stab his whole team in the back, his family etc.. and split for that type of cash. It's refreshing to watch the world cup; hear the supporters in the crowd chant their national anthem, pray, cry, shake and shiver. Then when the players score they are so filled with joy I've had tears in my eyes twice during this world cup because it was so touching. One imperticular was during an Iran game after a goal was scored the guy just fell do his knees, got all tear eyed, started to pray, and hugged everyone around him it was awesome. Here in America if people started praying or chanting the national anthem while another country was present it would be disrespectful and made a huge "controversy" by our media. I love sports but, they are 100% going down hill quickly. I think America wants more "pure" sports and this is why NASCAR is gaining so many more watchers every year because they don't have to deal with these situations. They pray before most races, and it's a pretty blue collar comfortable feeling sport. I don't love NASCAR as a sport but, I love NASCAR for what it stands for (if that makes since). Soccer will gain popularity, sooner or later be nice a pure first then go down hill rapidly just like the NBA and NFL.

quoted for truth...

the love of the game, the passion isnt half of what it used to/should be

Kestas
06-21-2006, 03:22 AM
Commercial Advertising.

that has little to do with sports. same logics apply to politics (especially in US, imho, and more and more so all around the civilised world) as well as culture, arts, leisure, etc. and advertising, obviously, does wonders for the ones advertising, in any field. we could discuss if that is actually benneficial for the consumer (advertising costs HUGE money, which goes into the price of advertised goods or services ;) though it creaties income for other industries or services, which live on advertising), but this is OT and totally pointless, imho.

NorCal_Pacerfan
06-21-2006, 03:32 AM
BoomBaby31 - thank you, good post. I'm feelin' it.

I just want to say that if you haven't yet, watch a good match of World Cup play and you can enjoy a full half of pure sport, with the crowd into the game and it's just a nice relief not to be bombarded with ads.

Trust me, too many commercials make you soft where you should be strong - in your head.

DisplacedKnick
06-21-2006, 06:55 AM
I just want to say that if you haven't yet, watch a good match of World Cup play and you can enjoy a full half of pure sport, with the crowd into the game and it's just a nice relief not to be bombarded with ads.

For now.

In my younger days, when I lived where they played hockey, I used to go to games. They must have changed the rules because they have commercials during periods through the playoffs - used to be play didn't stop for any longer than it took to drop the puck, re-set the goal or break up a fight.

Mourning
06-21-2006, 07:26 AM
There are large amounts of commercials with regards to the World Cup. The difference is that with soccer you can only advertize before, after or at half-time during the game. I love the NBA, but personally I would love it if the number of time outs would be limited a little more.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

FrenchConnection
06-21-2006, 08:18 AM
:amen:

And the last two teams to win the Stanley Cup are from Florida and Carolina...

Oh god, don't get me started on this one boy! This makes me almost as sick at Wade's FT numbers. Oh yeah, I now hate Wade as much as I hated Jordan.

FlavaDave
06-21-2006, 08:34 AM
Remind me: how much did you pay to watch the American NBA Finals on TV?

able
06-21-2006, 08:45 AM
likely as much as I did, nothing just like the WC football, which btw has surpassed the Olympics as the biggest event in terms of money and viewers.

grace
06-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Well, when it comes to watching live sports on TV, you're right, there isn't much we can do about it (besides mute or change the channel). As for movies on tv, I record them all to my computer before I watch and then I can skip through the commercials.

Well, thanks to TiVo I don't watch anything live if I can help it. If I catch up to real time I usually look for something else to watch for awhile so when I go back I can ff through the stuff I don't want to watch.

Oh god, don't get me started on this one boy! This makes me almost as sick at Wade's FT numbers. Oh yeah, I now hate Wade as much as I hated Jordan.

You've got to be kidding. I didn't start hating Jordan until after he came back from retirement the first time.

DisplacedKnick
06-21-2006, 09:23 AM
There are large amounts of commercials with regards to the World Cup. The difference is that with soccer you can only advertize before, after or at half-time during the game. I love the NBA, but personally I would love it if the number of time outs would be limited a little more.

Regards,

The NCAA's are an even bigger issue. The TV timeouts are so long that teams that rely on depth and wearing teams out that way lose their advantage. I remember one underdog coach who won a 1st rd game playing 6 people saying something like, "The TV timeouts are so long that I could design a new offense so us getting tired wasn't a problem."

Slick Pinkham
06-21-2006, 09:29 AM
I don't like the length of TV timeouts and the fact that games starting at 9:20 PM or so aren't over until after midnight. That goes for baseball, football, and basketball. I hate 9PM prime-time starts.

Other than that, American sports is just fine.

Bball
06-21-2006, 09:32 AM
Ragnar,

It's hard to put a commercial spot in a game where the only break literally from the game is at half-time.

They've managed to do it with auto racing so I'm sure they could do it with soccer. I agree with Ragnar, the lack of commercials probably has more to do with lack of interest in buying spots.

They can do picture in picture, banner ads, etc and if they could, they would.

-Bball

able
06-21-2006, 09:42 AM
They've managed to do it with auto racing so I'm sure they could do it with soccer. I agree with Ragnar, the lack of commercials probably has more to do with lack of interest in buying spots.

-Bball
The amount paid for commercial time on any of the WC games surpasses ANY sporting event in the world, not to mention the boards in the stadiums.

Total amount of money made exceeds the 1.6 Billion

Ragnar
06-21-2006, 09:48 AM
There are plenty of advertisers for the World Cup, and there are plenty of Americans watching. The difference is that American sports are molded AROUND commercials (the refs stop the game for commercials). Football, or Soccer, doesn't stop the game to sell you something. The advertisers can sell before, in the middle, and after the game. If you aren't familar with how popular the World Cup is here and abroad, then I don't think you are paying attention. But obviously it isn't as popular here as in the rest of THE WORLD (pretty much).

Hey, if you like being told how to act, what to think and how to spend your money, that's your prerogative. But I still have the right to voice my disgust about it.

I never said one word about it not being popular abroad I said it was not popular HERE IN THE US. I am sure there are some people interested in it. Hey I watch F1 and that’s not very well represented in the US either. I am not knocking it for its lack of popularity I am just pointing out the obvious truth that it is not very popular in the US and if you actually think it is then you need to get out more.

You think that because I am not concerned about commercials I want to be told how to live or act? Come on you can’t be serious with that absurd statement. Those commercials pay for those sports. They underwrite the TV time so you CAN SEE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. Do you think the TV stations would air it without someone paying for it? Sure sometimes they will take a loss if they think they could build it long term. But I guarantee you the US TV rights to the world cup cost about as much as the US TV rights to F1 (almost nothing F1 TV rights are owned by a 16 year old kid)

FrenchConnection
06-21-2006, 09:51 AM

-Bball

Nothing happens in auto racing anyways.:D In soccer you could miss a goal or a penalty or a booking.

There are no natural breaks in soccer except for halftime. Also, the ads are so expensive for World Cup matches because there are so few of them and so many people are watching.

I never said one word about it not being popular abroad I said it was not popular HERE IN THE US. I am sure there are some people interested in it. Hey I watch F1 and that’s not very well represented in the US either. I am not knocking it for its lack of popularity I am just pointing out the obvious truth that it is not very popular in the US and if you actually think it is then you need to get out more.

You think that because I am not concerned about commercials I want to be told how to live or act? Come on you can’t be serious with that absurd statement. Those commercials pay for those sports. They underwrite the TV time so you CAN SEE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. Do you think the TV stations would air it without someone paying for it? Sure sometimes they will take a loss if they think they could build it long term. But I guarantee you the US TV rights to the world cup cost about as much as the US TV rights to F1 (almost nothing F1 TV rights are owned by a 16 year old kid)

http://www.mediabuyerplanner.com/2005/11/03/world_cup_rights_skyrocket_for_/

Not so fast my friend. ABC paid a lot of money for the rights to the World Cup. These are not NFL or even NBA numbers, but it is not the "almost nothing" that OLN paid for hockey or the nothing that NBC paid for the NHL Stanley Cup Finals.

Ragnar
06-21-2006, 11:49 AM
Not only is it not NBA money its for the next two world cups plus the next two womens world cups. Yes its far more than I expected but its pretty sad in realtion to what they would get anywhere else in the world just for this one world cup let alone the next one.

I think ABC will lose a ton of money on this, somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 million if they paid 100 for it.

With the amount of hispanics in the US they could possible make money on this but the rest of the country wont even notice.

Bball
06-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Nothing happens in auto racing anyways.:D In soccer you could miss a goal

If you miss a goal you might miss the only score in the game. :D

There are no natural breaks in soccer except for halftime. Also, the ads are so expensive for World Cup matches because there are so few of them and so many people are watching.

My point was that there didn't need to be natural breaks in the game for advertising. You could do it via split-screens, picture in picture, banner type ads, crawls, even just having the announcers mention "This segment of the World Cup is brought to you by the 5th Street Grocery in Hoboken, New Jersey"

If the demand for ads was there, American TV would be doing it.

-Bball

Kegboy
06-21-2006, 12:42 PM
I disagree with the notion that basketball would be better if there were fewer commercials. You'd either have to sit through more jibber jabber from Bill Walton, or watch some of the horrendous things they do during timeouts at arenas. For those who don't know, it's not all Pacemates. In fact, they usually only perform once in the first half, and twice in the 3rd quarter. They're pretty much out every timeout in the 4th, but then it's cheerleading, not dancing.

Lastly, those who think there'd be less timeouts due to TV have never seen Rick Carlisle coach a game.

able
06-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Not only is it not NBA money its for the next two world cups plus the next two womens world cups. Yes its far more than I expected but its pretty sad in realtion to what they would get anywhere else in the world just for this one world cup let alone the next one.

I think ABC will lose a ton of money on this, somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 million if they paid 100 for it.

With the amount of hispanics in the US they could possible make money on this but the rest of the country wont even notice.
I guess you missed this part then:
"Univision is paying $325 million for the Spanish-language rights"

Don't forget that those rights are only for first broadcast in the USA, nothing else, not even re-runs.

Bball
06-21-2006, 01:52 PM
I guess you missed this part then:
"Univision is paying $325 million for the Spanish-language rights"

Don't forget that those rights are only for first broadcast in the USA, nothing else, not even re-runs.

Re-runs??? I've never watched one live this year, I can't imagine watching a replay. ;)

-Bball

Mourning
06-21-2006, 02:18 PM
If you miss a goal you might miss the only score in the game. :D

My point was that there didn't need to be natural breaks in the game for advertising. You could do it via split-screens, picture in picture, banner type ads, crawls, even just having the announcers mention "This segment of the World Cup is brought to you by the 5th Street Grocery in Hoboken, New Jersey"

If the demand for ads was there, American TV would be doing it.

-Bball

Soccer is so much more then just scoring. The beauty of a long pass heading exactly over the defenders, evading off-side, the tackling and also the tactics and probing of the opponent, the duels, etc.

You can't say it's just scoring then you are missing a LARGE part of the sport. Basketball isn't only scoring either.

With regards to interruptions because of commercials .... I think the sky would fall IF that were implemented. Seriously, I don't see it happenning ANYTIME soon.

I rather have what we have now, 3 large commercial blocks, before, at half-time and after the game and some smaller ones in the pre- and post-game analyses and interviews, but that's about it. NO TIMEOUTS!!! EVER!!! PLEASE!!!

And I do think losing one big time out or 2 smaller ones would speed up the NBA game a lot and make it a lot more interesting and easy to watch. But, it won't ever happen. I have difficulty watching some of the US news channels, so many interruptions. In 30 minutes there must be about 16-18 minutes of commercials, ridiculous.

Regards,

FrenchConnection
06-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Re-runs??? I've never watched one live this year, I can't imagine watching a replay. ;)

-Bball

You seem to state this with pride, but remember this is how people in some parts of the US think about the NBA. FWIW, I have watched a lot of the World Cup and have enjoyed the Footy, especially the play of Argentina.

There are ads attached to the score in the upper right corner of the screen. And the announcers do say "This segment is presneted by X company" during broadcasts. They tried showing ads during play in the last World Cup and it was really distracting. What companies do pay a lot for are ads in the stadium, which change for every game and are targeted to the two countries playing. They find revenue streams. And yes, Mourning, the game is really beautiful. You can't really call yourself a football fan until you can actually enjoy a nil-nil draw, and this didn't happen for me until about 2 years ago. But then again, I still remember a 0-0 regular season game between the Sabres and Flyers from about 5 years ago. The chances at the end were just spectacular, with great goaltending and really hard hits deciding the game. Funny that I like a lot of scoring in basketball, but I think that in football and hockey easy goals cheapen the game. And BTW, good luck against Argentina. You are going to need it.

Mourning
06-21-2006, 03:56 PM
You seem to state this with pride, but remember this is how people in some parts of the US think about the NBA. FWIW, I have watched a lot of the World Cup and have enjoyed the Footy, especially the play of Argentina.

There are ads attached to the score in the upper right corner of the screen. And the announcers do say "This segment is presneted by X company" during broadcasts. They tried showing ads during play in the last World Cup and it was really distracting. What companies do pay a lot for are ads in the stadium, which change for every game and are targeted to the two countries playing. They find revenue streams. And yes, Mourning, the game is really beautiful. You can't really call yourself a football fan until you can actually enjoy a nil-nil draw, and this didn't happen for me until about 2 years ago. But then again, I still remember a 0-0 regular season game between the Sabres and Flyers from about 5 years ago. The chances at the end were just spectacular, with great goaltending and really hard hits deciding the game. Funny that I like a lot of scoring in basketball, but I think that in football and hockey easy goals cheapen the game. And BTW, good luck against Argentina. You are going to need it.

Thx! ;) It's a difficult and so far a very tense game. It's almost like watching a chess game sometimes. Pretty tactical so far. IF you look for it you can see the teams carefully probing each other. The midfield is where the battle is mainly thought and so far Argentina seems to have a very slight advantage there. However, moments can decide games. I think if one of the teams score the game will explode with attacks over and forth.

I just hope we come out on top.

Ok, enough OT now :D:D:D;).

Regards,

NorCal_Pacerfan
06-21-2006, 10:32 PM
You think that because I am not concerned about commercials I want to be told how to live or act? Come on you canít be serious with that absurd statement.

No offense intended here. I shouldn't have stated it like that towards you. It's more of a rhetorical comment. Like it or not, commercials 'program' viewers.

Those commercials pay for those sports. They underwrite the TV time so you CAN SEE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. Do you think the TV stations would air it without someone paying for it? Sure sometimes they will take a loss if they think they could build it long term. But I guarantee you the US TV rights to the world cup cost about as much as the US TV rights to F1 (almost nothing F1 TV rights are owned by a 16 year old kid)

Those commercials pay for those sports? Sorry, not buying that one bit. The cost of the sport itself is easily paid for by fans attending games and buying stuff at games. The commercials are nothing more than a huge bowl of gravy. A few commercials, like at half-time, are more than enough to pay for the broadcast. The rest is pure fat-cat profit. Everything is so bloated beyond belief. Most of the profit goes right into the bank accounts of a select few.

I disagree with the notion that basketball would be better if there were fewer commercials. You'd either have to sit through more jibber jabber from Bill Walton, or watch some of the horrendous things they do during timeouts at arenas. For those who don't know, it's not all Pacemates. In fact, they usually only perform once in the first half, and twice in the 3rd quarter. They're pretty much out every timeout in the 4th, but then it's cheerleading, not dancing.

Lastly, those who think there'd be less timeouts due to TV have never seen Rick Carlisle coach a game.

I think you're putting the cart before the horse here. The reason that they do all that boring break stuff is to entertain you while they play more commercials to the tv audience. They're called "official timeouts" - AKA - commercial break.

Robertmto
06-23-2006, 03:36 AM
What's wrong with American Sports?

We couldn't win a match in the World Cup.
We only scored one of our amazing two goals in that World Cup

We are only the third best country in Basketball, even tho that was as much the coaching/player selection as it was our talent. (I still can't believe Emeka got no PT @ the center position, he was the second best big man behind Duncan)

Hell we couldn't even advance past the 2nd round in the WBC. Our pastime eh? And we got a good draw in that. I'm not sure we would have got past the first round in any of the other pools.

There is no tourney to decide what country is the best in football, maybe we'd win, for some reason I doubt it. :(

Our best sport is curling!!

Anthem
06-23-2006, 03:49 AM
Commercial Advertising.
Maybe we're watching a different NBA. The first thing I thought when I started watching some of the Euroball snippets was "wow, that's a lot of distracting advertising."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8LnSTJuCuI8&mode=related&search=bargnani

Just watch the advertising in the background.

Robertmto
06-23-2006, 03:52 AM
Maybe we're watching a different NBA. The first thing I thought when I started watching some of the Euroball snippets was "wow, that's a lot of distracting advertising."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8LnSTJuCuI8&mode=related&search=bargnani

Just watch the advertising in the background.

Just look at the Jerseys

Anthem
06-23-2006, 03:59 AM
Just look at the Jerseys
I mind that less than the animated billboards that move while the ball's in play. If I was a player, I'd hate that.

I just don't see how people could say American Sports are over-commercialized but European sports are fine. Sports are entertainment, and entertainment is a commercial activity. There's no getting around it, and it's not just an American phenomenom.

EDIT: Liked the music, though. I guess Euro-ball really is old school.

Flax
06-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Of course this is not just American phenomenon. But there is a difference how the game flow is managed, for example, in Eurolegue and NBA. The difference in pure game time is just 8 minutes (10 per quarter in Eurolegue and 12 minutes in NBA). Including all time-outs, breaks between quarters and commercial breaks, rarely Eurolegue broadcast exceeds 90 minutes during the regular season. What is average broadcast of the routine NBA game, not counting play-offs? Remember, pure game difference is just 8 bloody minutes.

And no way football (you call it soccer) will be broadcasted with split screens for adds in EU. In US - may be. But not in EU. The reaction of fans would be hysterical, I guarantee :D

Chauncey
06-23-2006, 09:11 AM
I can't believe there are 40 posts in this thread.

Its not going to change.

BillS
06-23-2006, 10:05 AM
Soccer is so much more then just scoring. The beauty of a long pass heading exactly over the defenders, evading off-side, the tackling and also the tactics and probing of the opponent, the duels, etc.

Well, unless it's the US team, whose ballhandling skills seem to be about on a par with most other countries' Under-19 leagues... It's very clear that there are some fundamentals our players don't have - yet.

I have always enjoyed finesse games (thus my interest also in baseball and cricket), and it frustrates me to see the US having problems competing in soccer. However, with the huge popularity of soccer for youth in the US, the fact that European World Cup games are on DURING THE DAY WHEN KIDS CAN WATCH THEM, I expect the profile of the sport in the US to go through the roof in less than 15 years, along with a surge in the abilities of the US national team.

The number of games available on TV this year compared to even just 4 years ago is staggering. Compared to 8 years ago? Fuggedaboudit.

Anthem
06-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Of course this is not just American phenomenon. But there is a difference how the game flow is managed, for example, in Eurolegue and NBA. The difference in pure game time is just 8 minutes (10 per quarter in Eurolegue and 12 minutes in NBA). Including all time-outs, breaks between quarters and commercial breaks, rarely Eurolegue broadcast exceeds 90 minutes during the regular season. What is average broadcast of the routine NBA game, not counting play-offs? Remember, pure game difference is just 8 bloody minutes.
Well, I'm guessing they don't take a half-hour halftime in the Euroleage. So that cuts it down a bit.

Not counting the halftime, you're probably looking at 2 hours instead of 90 minutes. A lot of that is commentary. But I'll live with the ads (because I can TiVo them) before I'll live with animated signs at the floor level. That really detracts from the product, to me anyway.

FrenchConnection
06-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Ron Artest!.

Fixed

ChicagoJ
06-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Those commercials pay for those sports? Sorry, not buying that one bit. The cost of the sport itself is easily paid for by fans attending games and buying stuff at games. The commercials are nothing more than a huge bowl of gravy. A few commercials, like at half-time, are more than enough to pay for the broadcast. The rest is pure fat-cat profit. Everything is so bloated beyond belief. Most of the profit goes right into the bank accounts of a select few.

Oh no... that's 100% true. Tickets revenue and the royalty from merchadise are dwarfed by television money. I can dig up some stats from some of my former clients or you can see for yourself in Paul Kagan's publications.

Further, the teams are spending as much as possible on players that the profits are not huge.

Only Donald Sterling makes a healthy profit margin in the NBA. Most (~60%) of the revenue goes right into the bank accounts of the players. Once the front office, ticket/ sales staff, and (if necessary) arena maintenance are paid, there isn't much left for the owners.

You don't own a professional sports franchise for the purpose of making a lot of money. You make it somewhere else and then throw it away on a very expensive "toy" - your own team.

Back to the original topic at hand, the problem with American Sports is a four-letter word:

ESPN.

Too many highlight clips, glorification of athletes, and no substance.

(And the problem with politics is a series of three-letter words: CNN, Fox, NBC, CBS, ABC, etc. - too many soundbites, and no substance.)

Anthem
06-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Back to the original topic at hand, the problem with American Sports is a four-letter word:

ESPN.
Amen!

Kstat
06-23-2006, 07:54 PM
if its such a problem, people would stop watching it.....

Hicks
06-23-2006, 08:21 PM
if its such a problem, people would stop watching it.....

People are stupid.

Kstat
06-23-2006, 08:29 PM
People are stupid.

Then people are to blame, not ESPN.

Hicks
06-23-2006, 08:31 PM
No, ESPN takes blame for providing the idiots with food.

Steve McQueen
06-23-2006, 08:33 PM
Ragnar,

Yeah, don't wanna miss any of the excitement of a bunch of guys kicking a ball back and forth in the middle of a field :laugh:

Thats what bores me about soccer....it's 90% a waste of time (guys kicking the ball back and forth, 30' from the goal), 10% actual excitement (guys actually within scoring distance)

Maybe if it were played on a smaller field and with more athletic competitors, then myself and many more would consider watching it.