PDA

View Full Version : For UB....a defensive pt gaurd that can handle the ball and shoot

indygeezer
06-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Get the smelling salts ready...

This may be too good for UB to handle:

Guard hopefuls impress Hawks

By Sekou Smith | Monday, June 19, 2006, 11:17 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

I may not be in Atlanta but that doesn’t mean I’m not in the mix of the pre-draft workouts that are going on. And one of my spies was in the gym today and relayed some of the goings on. All three guards who were in town this morning - Marcus Williams, Rajon Rondo and Randy Foye - were reportedly impressive. In fact, my spy went on to say that all three were “extremely” impressive.

The funny thing, he said, is that all three are so dramatically different that having them in a combined workout actually accentuated each of their finer qualities.

Marcus Williams shot the ball well and showed off what the Hawks had already seen on film, he’s a straight line PG in the “Jason Kidd” mold in terms of he doesn’t beat you with a bunch of fancy tricks. He’s great on the screen and roll and he’s going to make the other guys around him flourish because he’s such a good up the floor passer (meaning he knows how to find guys on the break and can turn the corner in the halfcourt and either get a shot or create one for someone else). As we all have read or heard before, his measurables aren’t what jump out at you. But his savvy and natural PG abilities are what set him apart.

Rajon Rondo was probably even more impressive than initially expected. He was a “terror” in the defensive drills and a guy that those who observed the workout believe can someday be an All-Defensive type of player. He’ was certainly the athlete he’s been advertised to be and is a physical specimen, perhaps without peer at his position in this draft. While his shot (the form) is in need of some tweaking, there’s nothing else in his repertoire that needs major work. According to my spy, he left everyone thinking that the unquestioned two best point guard prospects in this draft were on the floor Monday morning.

blanket
06-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Re: For UB....a defensive pt gaurd that can handle the ball and shoot

Rondo?

defensive PG?
check.

handle the ball?
check.

shoot?
ummm.... no.

That being said, if he's available 17 I'd probably take him.

Eindar
06-20-2006, 07:24 PM
I dunno about the "shoot" part. Rondo was pretty bad in college, and this is Sekou's way of saying "he could learn to shoot" which is what they said about Tinsley, and probably Jamison Brewer, also.

indygeezer
06-20-2006, 08:27 PM
I was basing the "can shoot" part on a NBADraft.net synopsis I read a couple of days ago:

Rajon Rondo
Birthdate: 2/22/86
NBA Position: Point Guard
College: Kentucky
Class: Sophomore
Ht: 6-2
Wt: 171
Hometown: Louisville, Kentucky
High School: Oak Hill Academy
Team Site Profile

2005 Stats

NBA Comparison: Mookie Blalock

Strengths: A lightning quick point guard with the ability to penetrate seemingliy at will. Has incredible body control and takes the ball to the basket and finishes exceptionally well for a PG. He has a scorers mentality, but also passes the ball well especially on the dribble drive. Owns great ball handling skills which become lethal combined with his quickness. Many people thought he was the best player on his high school team that included Josh Smith (drafted 17th by Atlanta Hawks in 2004). He has progressed into a solid shooter, that combined with his quickness has made him a very difficult player to defend.

Weaknesses: Still must develop a better basketball understanding. Could stand to put on some weight and add some muscle mass. His outside shot has become better but with improvement in this area, defenders will have to respect that facet of his game which will make it impossible to keep him from getting into the lane. Still must become more under control as he can become erratic at times. His defense still must improve. Must learn to be a complete point guard with the ability to dictate the tempo and get everyone involved.

Notes: Had 55 points and 17 assists in a game in a tournament in Europe for Oak Hill Academy. He also set the school record at Oak hill with 27 assist then followed that performance up by breaking his own record with 31 assist

He doesn't have to be a great shooter, just better than Tinsley was his rookie year and I'll be happy.

SoupIsGood
06-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Y'know, if his only glaring weakness is shooting, I'd take him. Maybe he can't hit the back side of a barn, but he could work out well if we surround him with a lot of good shooters.

Now sure, we aren't a great shooting team, but I think we can become one pretty easily. Guys like Peja, Saras, Granger, and Cro are a good start. JO and DH also give him some easy targets to hit inside. We'd just need a deadeye starting SG, and would need to sign another vet bench player who can hit shots.

I think packaging any of Tinsley, Jax, Foster, or AJ could bring us a solid 2 who can shoot.

Anthem
06-20-2006, 09:42 PM
As much as I love shooting, I could go with this. I'd just require him to put in a ton of time with Chuck Person.

SoupIsGood
06-20-2006, 10:34 PM
As much as I love shooting, I could go with this. I'd just require him to put in a ton of time with Chuck Person.

Yeah I forgot to mention that. With Person around, I don't worry quite as much when taking a bad shooter. He can usually at least help them become average.

Ragnar
06-20-2006, 11:12 PM
Marcus Willams sounds far far better to me. We have had good defenders at the point and we have won more games and made it further in the playoffs when we have a real pg, not a defensive monster who cant initiate the offense.

indygeezer
06-21-2006, 07:24 AM
Marcus Willams sounds far far better to me. We have had good defenders at the point and we have won more games and made it further in the playoffs when we have a real pg, not a defensive monster who cant initiate the offense.

But will he drop to the P's? Also I don't like what I read here about off court troubles and turnovers.
=====

NBADRAFT.NET

Marcus Williams
Birthdate: 12/3/85
NBA Position: Point Guard
College: Connecticut
Class: Junior
Ht: 6-2
Wt: 200
Hometown: Los Angeles, CA
High School: Oak Hill Academy
Team Site Profile
2005 Stats
NBA Comparison: Deron Williams

Strengths: Williams has improved tremendously since his freshman year when he veraged 9.6 points, 3.8 rebounds, and 7.8 assists in 31 minutes/game ... He has a great "feel" for the game, something he didn't show freshman year ... A tremendous passer who led the entire nation in assists per game at 8.1 ... He controls the tempo of the game as well as any guard in the Big East ... He displays a good right hand, finishing fairly well on drives with it, though he is naturally left-handed ... His three-point shooting percentage rose over 20% last season to a respectable 40% ... He's a threat from the outside now which allows him to penetrate and dish or finish more often ... When big men challenge him in the paint, he uses a crafty floater/tear drop type of shot that he has really perfected ... He is practically unstoppable in the open court because his decision making is so quick and precise ... Whether it is pulling up for the jumper if his man plays off him or hitting a wing player filling the lane, Williams makes the appropriate decision ... He has a killer crossover that he uses to get by his man on the perimeter and is athletic, getting good lift on his jumper ... Defensively he does a good job staying in front of his man and limiting drives, he averages 1.1 stl/game …Williams was productive as a freshman where he average 4.3/game assists in only 14 minutes/game.

Weaknesses: One of the main things Williams needs to work on is his turnovers ... Though he makes the right decision on the break, oftentimes he turns the ball over after drive in the lane while trying to feed teammates ... Actually needs to be more selfish at times, especially late in games when teammates are struggling ... Some of the bigger concerns with Williams is his off the court behavior. He only played in 16 games as a freshmen for failing to qualify academically and missed playing in UConn's championship run. Also, more recently, Williams and fellow UConn guard A.J. Price allegedly stole 10 laptop computers from UConn dorm rooms. There could be serious repercussions from such allegations ... Williams needs to keep his focus on basketball if he is going to continue to become the star player that he showed the potential to become last season.

Ragnar
06-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Yes thats bad. If he is stealing laptops when he is about to become a NBA player he is an idiot who we dont need.

microwave_oven
06-21-2006, 11:18 AM
If you want a true point guard, then get Jordan Farmar. He should be there at 17, and he is a winner. I think you could compare him to Jason Kidd before you could with Williams.

Robertmto
06-21-2006, 11:31 PM
If you want a true point guard, then get Jordan Farmar. He should be there at 17, and he is a winner. I think you could compare him to Jason Kidd before you could with Williams.

Agreed

Farmar > Williams

pizza guy
06-22-2006, 12:05 AM

:amen: