PDA

View Full Version : Greg Cote is a bonafide idiot...

Kstat
06-20-2006, 03:40 PM
I hope he's prepared to pay Cuban's $250,000 fine...

Utterly irresponsible journalism. I heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy? Is this highschool gossip?

#1 rule of journalism: ALWAYS HAVE TWO SOURCES. Where the hell did this tool go to school?

http://blogs.herald.com/random_evidence/

The Cuban-Quote Controversy

In my column in today's Miami Herald I quoted Mavericks owner Mark Cuban as having yelled the following at NBA commissioner David Stern in the emotional moments following Sunday night's controversial Heat overtime win in Miami: " you! [Bleep] you! Your league is rigged!"

Cuban, in his blog today, denied having said that. In an e-mail to me just after noon today, he wrote, "I never said a word to the commissioner [after the game]. Not a single word. Stared at him. Yes. Said a word. No."

[b]Someone near the scorer's table who said he heard Cuban say what I quoted him saying passed the information to someone I trust who informed me. My source in turn trusted the person who reported hearing it.

For the record, I never believed Cuban actually believed the fix was on. I believed then, and do now, that, in context, an outspoken owner was venting in the heat of the moment at a raw, emotional time.

In any case, however, I was wrong to use the quote. That doesn't mean the words were never said, denial notwithstanding. I was wrong, journalistically, to put quotation marks around words I did not personally hear. I would be wrong even if Cuban had not denied having said it.

Stern, asked today by Boog Sciambi on 790 The Ticket about that quote, said: "That did not happen to my knowledge."

CBS SportsLine.com reported today that Cuban, after yelling at referee Joe DeRosa on the court after the final buzzer, "...then stared and screamed toward commissioner David Stern and a group of league officials..."

In that same story, it was reported Cuban had been fined $250,000 by the NBA for "several [unspecified] acts of misconduct" following the game.

SoupIsGood
06-20-2006, 03:42 PM
What a tool.

Leisure Suit Larry
06-20-2006, 03:46 PM
So they aren't even sure he said this? They are just fining him?

Kstat
06-20-2006, 03:49 PM
So they aren't even sure he said this? They are just fining him?

Depends.

If they used his article as a source, they better retract the fine faster than Cuban can say "lawsuit"....

Trader Joe
06-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Irresponsible journalism at its finest.

Bball
06-20-2006, 04:37 PM
$250,000.00 here... $250,000.00 there... Pretty soon they'll be talking about some real money.

-Bball

vapacersfan
06-20-2006, 04:47 PM
Wait, I'm confused.

I was under the impression Cuban had NOT been fined...when was his fine announced.

I have been away from the cpu all afternoon, but this is the first I have heard od this

If true, this journalist is a freaking tool and I really hope the NBA retracts the fine

And BBall, that's easy for you to say, when you are not the one paying the fine

Leisure Suit Larry
06-20-2006, 04:53 PM
Wait, I'm confused.

I was under the impression Cuban had NOT been fined...when was his fine announced.

I have been away from the cpu all afternoon, but this is the first I have heard od this

If true, this journalist is a freaking tool and I really hope the NBA retracts the fine

I first noticed this afternoon, maybe an hour or so ago

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuHX5zNjB43PbOtRA7wu9z45nYcB?slug=ap-nbafinals-cubanfined&prov=ap&type=lgns

FlavaDave
06-20-2006, 04:53 PM

Easy for bBall to say, easy for a multi-billionare to do.

vapacersfan
06-20-2006, 04:58 PM
Nevermind, I missed that the first time on the blackberry

My guess is the nba will maintain the fine for running out on the court, but way to make high school drama into reporting

Easy for bBall to say, easy for a multi-billionare to do.

I have been around enough rich people and pro athletes (not sure I have ever met a billionare, well I have met them but it was at a event I was working) but I know how damn stingy they are with there money

Its easy to say ut aint a thing, but I can assure you they feel differently. Esp when it stems from a bull**** rumor

Bball
06-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Wait, I'm confused.

That was sarcasm...
One time a politician, whose name I've forgotten, said something like that (altho I think it was "A million here, a million there... pretty soon we'll be talking about some real money"). I hope he was being sarcastic too.

-Bball

vapacersfan
06-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Wow BBall, way to make me feel stupid

Haha

I have never heard that quote, but likewise I hope he was joking

Robertmto
06-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Just now on PTI Stern said he did not hear Cuban say "your league is rigged"!!!

Anthem
06-20-2006, 06:41 PM
That was sarcasm...
One time a politician, whose name I've forgotten, said something like that (altho I think it was "A million here, a million there... pretty soon we'll be talking about some real money"). I hope he was being sarcastic too.

-Bball
I'm pretty sure that originated as a Tom Clancy joke...

bulldog
06-20-2006, 07:30 PM
He acted like a lunatic regardless of what was said, so there should be a fine.

But, isn't $250,000 a little steep (not for his pockets, obviously, but in comparison to other fines)? It seems like the fine is for something serious, like, say, questioning the integrity of the entire league. I think they think he said it; at least, that's what I heard from a guy who knows a guy that thinks that.

Slick Pinkham
06-20-2006, 07:32 PM
That was sarcasm...

-Bball

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/e/everett_dirksen.html