PDA

View Full Version : Our very own record holder..MBoyle

RWB
06-19-2006, 09:11 AM
Noticed this on the WIBC site.....

http://www.emmisindymediakit.com/wibc/sports.htm

Mark Boyle
Mark is the play-by-play announcer for the Indiana Pacers Radio Network. Since joining the Pacers in 1988, Boyle has handled the play-by-play on every regular season and playoff game that the club has been involved in, and his streak of 1,139 consecutive games is the longest current run in the Eastern Conference.

Anthem
06-19-2006, 09:15 AM
That's actually pretty impressive.

You're a machine, Mark!

Unclebuck
06-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Who has a longer streak.

I remember when Mr. Boyle was hired after a 5 year period of having a different play-by-play guy every year (and some were horible) and it was obvious that the Pacers had finally found a great play-by-play guy

Putnam
06-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Who has a longer streak.

I remember when Mr. Boyle was hired after a 5 year period of having a different play-by-play guy every year (and some were horible) and it was obvious that the Pacers had finally found a great play-by-play guy

Mark Boyle is a gem.

How many were listening during the game when Reggie's number was retired? Kevin Lee got Dale Davis for an interview but garbled the introduction and called Dale a former "Pisser." (Combining "Pacer" and "Piston")

After the interview, Mark asked Kevin, "How was it you described Dale, again?"

Kevin carefully enunciated, "Dale is a former member of the PA-cers."

And Mark still kept at him: "But I thought you said something different a minute ago."

It was hilarious.

timmanis2000
06-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Mr. Boyle does a great job. Congrat,s on the streak.

Chauncey
06-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Who has a longer streak.

Historically or right now?

Historically I think its Chick Hearn - Broadcast 3,338 consecutive games for the Los Angeles Lakers (November 21, 1965 to December 16, 2001)

indygeezer
06-19-2006, 11:59 AM
I gotta admit M. Boyle has won me over (and not because he posts here)...I no longer miss Jerry Baker we have a more than accpetable replacement. I enjoy MJB everybit as much as I ever did Bake. MJB's style is just irreverant enough to be entertaining while giving us a good view of the game. He is definately NOT wrapped up in himself like 99.9% of the "personalities".

Congrats Mark

(I miss spellchecker)

Will Galen
06-19-2006, 12:13 PM
(I miss spellchecker)

Download iespell. http://www.iespell.com

It's free. I use it all the time.

Bball
06-19-2006, 01:15 PM
Download iespell. http://www.iespell.com

It's free. I use it all the time.

Me two. Its grate. Aye love it!

;)

-Bball

Gyron
06-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Congrats on the streak Mr. Boyle!

317Kim
06-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Keep up the great work, Mr. Boyle! :)

sweabs
06-19-2006, 01:54 PM
Me two. Its grate. Aye love it!

;)

-Bball

:D Hah - nice. And exactly the reason why I don't use spell checkers.

The best way to check is by just re-reading and using a simple dictionary.

Congrats, Mr. Boyle. Keep up the outstanding work.

Stigmata
06-19-2006, 02:26 PM
^ Is that Miles in your avatar rcarey? Nice!

I love to listen to Mark and Slick, but it's too bad WIBC turns down their power late at night because alot of times I can't hear the broadcast clearly. I live in Westfield, IN but does anyone else have this problem?

Kegboy
06-19-2006, 02:27 PM
I don't see why people worry about spell checkers or reviewing grammar. PD already has an automatic post checker, he's called Graham Mernatzi.

mboyle1313
06-19-2006, 04:16 PM
All,

Thanks for the kind words. For those keeping score at home, the streak is now at 1,599. I'm told that Al McCoy in Phoenix and Ralph Lawler with the Clippers have longer current streaks, but I don't know the particulars.

And, yes, Chick's streak was well over 3,000. Rest assured it's safe, at least from this precinct. I'd have to be in my 70's to get there, and I plan on being on a beach by then.

Though I take pride in not missing any work, this is a case of being in the right place at the right time as much as anything else. The Pacers have always provided me with great support and a tremendous working environment. Management understands the value of credibility, and as a result we are given much more latitude to be frank and candid than most other NBA broadcasters. That, as much as anything else, is the reason I've stayed all these years.

Oh, and the fact that I'm a bit difficult and probably couldn't get another job.

MJB

ChicagoJ
06-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Mark, I find that comment interesting, because many of us have been critical that the IndyStar has historically treated the Pacers with kid gloves.

I've always found you and Slick to be much more candid than the written press (and I'm thankful for your objective, yet entertaining approach) but I'm just curious if you think this perception is off-base. I also find Quinn's commentary on television to be far more candid than anything (prior to Mike Well's arrival) from the printed press.

I realize you probably can't answer that question, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

mboyle1313
06-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Jay,

As Quinn is on the air at the same time we are, I wouldn't have any idea whether your perceptions of his approach are accurate.

The newspaper and televison coverage are another matter. The local television sposrtcasts are, in my view, vehicles in entertainment rather than journalism and should be taken for what they are. As far as the nespaper is concerned, I think Mike Wells does a nice job and tries to point things out to the extent that he can. It should be remembered that he is a beat writer, not a columnist; consequently, he is limited in just how much opinion he can engage in within the framework of a given piece.

MJB

Bball
06-19-2006, 04:44 PM
All,

Thanks for the kind words. For those keeping score at home, the streak is now at 1,599. I'm told that Al McCoy in Phoenix and Ralph Lawler with the Clippers have longer current streaks, but I don't know the particulars.

And, yes, Chick's streak was well over 3,000. Rest assured it's safe, at least from this precinct. I'd have to be in my 70's to get there, and I plan on being on a beach by then.

Though I take pride in not missing any work, this is a case of being in the right place at the right time as much as anything else. The Pacers have always provided me with great support and a tremendous working environment. Management understands the value of credibility, and as a result we are given much more latitude to be frank and candid than most other NBA broadcasters. That, as much as anything else, is the reason I've stayed all these years.

Oh, and the fact that I'm a bit difficult and probably couldn't get another job.

MJB

You are certainly one of the best. Thanks for the job you do.

-Bball

Unclebuck
06-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Mark, what no baseball this offseason?

Leisure Suit Larry
06-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Didn't Mark Boyle have some words for Donnie Walsh or someone a couple years ago?

mboyle1313
06-19-2006, 04:56 PM
Jay,

As Quinn is on the air at the same time we are, I wouldn't have any idea whether your perceptions of his approach are accurate.

The newspaper and televison coverage are another matter. The local television sposrtcasts are, in my view, vehicles in entertainment rather than journalism and should be taken for what they are. As far as the nespaper is concerned, I think Mike Wells does a nice job and tries to point things out to the extent that he can. It should be remembered that he is a beat writer, not a columnist; consequently, he is limited in just how much opinion he can engage in within the framework of a given piece.

MJB

Leisure Suit Larry
Jay,

MJB

As president of the Dave Calabro fan club, I'm offended. ;)

mboyle1313
Buck,

No baseball this summer, though I will head to Billings next month to see a few games games as a fan.

And, yes, Larry, I did have some harsh words for Donnie in a magazine piece last summer. As I believe I've shared in this forum previously, I regret that I made those thoughts public and have since discussed this matter with Donnie.

That said, I maintain the working conditions that prevail in this organization are among the best in the NBA.

MJB

Leisure Suit Larry
06-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Buck,

No baseball this summer, though I will head to Billings next month to see a few games games as a fan.

And, yes, Larry, I did have some harsh words for Donnie in a magazine piece last summer. As I believe I've shared in this forum previously, I regret that I made those thoughts public and have since discussed this matter with Donnie.

That said, I maintain the working conditions that prevail in this organization are among the best in the NBA.

MJB

That's cool, I'm sorry if I brought up a sore subject.

mboyle1313
06-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Larry,

Assuming you're serious, I think you midunderstood the tenor of my earlier post. I think Mr. Calabro does a nice job, but I wouldn't consider any of the local television anchors journalists.

For that matter, just to be clear, I don't consider myself a journalist, either.

MJB

Leisure Suit Larry
06-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Larry,

Assuming you're serious, I think you midunderstood the tenor of my earlier post. I think Mr. Calabro does a nice job, but I wouldn't consider any of the local television anchors journalists.

For that matter, just to be clear, I don't consider myself a journalist, either.

MJB

No I was just kidding that's why I put the ;). I'm really more a Rich Nye fan, Calabro is cool though.

vapacersfan
06-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Didn't Mark Boyle have some words for Donnie Walsh or someone a couple years ago?

Not that it needs to be rehashed, but that was the reason Mr.Boyle started posting here.

Originally Posted by mboyle1313
Folks,

A friend directed me to this forum, and I found your comments regarding the piece I wrote for Indy Men's Magazine well thought out and interesting.

I thought I'd provide a little background on the story. The people at Indy Men's Magazine approached me about doing something back in June, and I agreed, with the stipulation that I would have final approval on what appeared in the magazine. The story you read was one I submitted on a Friday, with the understanding that I would have until Monday to make final changes before the piece went to press. After discussing the situation with people I respect, I decided that calling Donnie out in such a manner was inapropriate, regardless of how upset I was about the incident. I e-mailed the magazine on Saturday, instructing them to run the piece without the reference to Donnie. They informed me that they had gone ahead and submitted it, ignoring the fact that they had given me a Monday deadline, and claimed that it was too late to make changes.

Though disappointed in an approach by this magazine that I consider disingenuous at best and dishonest at worst, those are my words and I'll stand by them. In the end, I believe that my feelings were legitimate, but I agree with most of you that my methods were wrong and not keeping with my general philosophy of confining such issues to the people involved. I feel badly about those thoughts getting into print, something I've discussed with Donnie.

Normally I wouldn't respond to comments about me or my work, either positive or negative, in a forum like this one. However, in this case, it's clear to me that all of you are more than casual Pacer fans and I thought you deserved an explanation from me regarding the Magazine piece.

Thanks for listening.

Regards,
Mark Boyle

ChicagoJ
06-19-2006, 05:17 PM
It should be remembered that he is a beat writer, not a columnist; consequently, he is limited in just how much opinion he can engage in within the framework of a given piece.

MJB

Mark,

That's a great point. I think we (myself included) often forget or under estimate that variable.

Kaufman
06-19-2006, 05:56 PM
Mark, as I've said before, appreciate all that you bring to our state and our team. Minnesota's loss, our gain.

Anthem
06-19-2006, 10:14 PM
I don't see why people worry about spell checkers or reviewing grammar. PD already has an automatic post checker, he's called Graham Mernatzi.
Hey, I'm not as bad as I used to be.

And it's "Mernatsi." :death:

indygeezer
06-19-2006, 10:22 PM
Hey, I'm not as bad as I used to be.

And it's "Mernatsi." :death:

His only mistake was in keeping the T in there. :-p

I'm not an IE user...Mozilla Firefox has stopped nearly all of the attacks that destroyed my 'puter at least twice. IE is a Microsoft product and thus under attack much more frequently (thanks guys) and so I stay away now.

Anone know of a Mozilla spellchecker?

Bball
06-19-2006, 10:29 PM
Anone know of a Mozilla spellchecker?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mozilla+spell+checker&btnG=Google+Search

Google is your friend! :D

-Bball

indygeezer
06-19-2006, 10:56 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mozilla+spell+checker&btnG=Google+Search

Google is your friend! :D

-Bball

Show-off.

what happens if you google GOOGLE?

Bball
06-19-2006, 11:00 PM
Show-off.

Let's find out...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=GOOGLE&btnG=Google+Search

-Bball :D

Anthem
06-19-2006, 11:28 PM
Wouldn't that, like, tear a hole in the fabric of the universe?

What's the worst that could happen?

BillS
06-20-2006, 08:28 AM
Thanks, Mark, for the hard work and everything you bring to the Pacers, both at courtside and elsewhere!

06-20-2006, 11:58 AM
haha! No way!? I didnt knew "mboyle1313" was THE Mark Boyle?
Dont know what to say except that i love your work, you are the best! :worship:

Wayne Jarvis
06-20-2006, 12:31 PM
I hope I'm not out of line here, but I'd like to add a request/suggestion for Mr. Boyle.

I know on a few occasions Mark fills in on WIBC sports talk, or is a guest during the off-season. Back in the old WNDE days Mark played the audio of some guy (Jimmy something ?) singing the National anthem in L.A. - quite a unique rendition! If he could somehow manage to play that again (or post it on the internet), I'd be grateful and suspect others would really be amused.

As others have stated, thanks to Mr. Boyle for his work.

OTD
06-20-2006, 03:08 PM
If you can get WIBC at all at night you are lucky. I live in Kokomo, and at 6 pm forget it they are gone. I sent a e-mail to them a few years ago and got a replie form the Man. They have ask the feds to alow them to keep their power up but have been turned down every time. I thought was very toughtful of him to ans me.

mboyle1313
06-20-2006, 03:14 PM
Wayne,

Alas, I no longer have that audio. The guy sang the anthem before a game at the old Forum in LA one night we were there many years ago, and it lasted a good three minutes. Easily the most hilarious version I've ever heard.

MJB

Wayne Jarvis
06-20-2006, 04:06 PM
Wayne,

Alas, I no longer have that audio. The guy sang the anthem before a game at the old Forum in LA one night we were there many years ago, and it lasted a good three minutes. Easily the most hilarious version I've ever heard.

MJB
Ah, that's too bad. That guy also sang a song, something like "Under the Sycamores", on the final episode of the old Twin Peaks TV show - not funny like the anthem, but still oddly disturbing...

Thanks anyway.

blanket
06-20-2006, 04:47 PM
Ah, that's too bad. That guy also sang a song, something like "Under the Sycamores", on the final episode of the old Twin Peaks TV show - not funny like the anthem, but still oddly disturbing...

Thanks anyway.

This piqued my interest, so I Googled it.

Turns out the guy's name is "Little" Jimmy Scott (you almost had it!).

I'm not sure where you'll find a recording of him singing the National Anthem, but that's a start...

Anthem
06-20-2006, 06:43 PM
It's odd reading the word "Anthem" on this board. It messes with my head.

indygeezer
06-20-2006, 07:15 PM

Why? It's on my Medical insurance card and only messes with my wallet!

Kegboy
06-20-2006, 08:49 PM

Just imagine the insanity if we draft Eric Hicks.

Anthem
06-20-2006, 09:20 PM
Just imagine the insanity if we draft Eric Hicks.
Would Hicks then be PD's second best Hicks?

Kegboy
06-20-2006, 09:30 PM
Would Hicks then be PD's second best Hicks?

No, he'd probably just change his name back to Dr. Cox.

Buckett
06-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Hey Beeeeeedog,

Tell them about the time you couldn't control your laughter for a good two or three minutes after some guy started breakdancing at the free throw line following a game a few years back. Easily one of my favorite broadcasting moments.

J Douche

mboyle1313
06-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Mr. B,

Good to hear from you. I assume you're alive (that appears obvious) and well (less clear, but I'm hopeful).

That guy break dancing was one of my favoite episodes. Ah, the good old days.

MJB

Buckett
06-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Mr. B,

Good to hear from you. I assume you're alive (that appears obvious) and well (less clear, but I'm hopeful).

That guy break dancing was one of my favoite episodes. Ah, the good old days.

MJB

One of my all-time favorites...only because I had no idea why you were laughing...which of course made me laugh too. Alive and doing quite well, thank you. Just gearing up for hurricane season and getting a lot of crap from Heat fans since I was pulling for the Mavs.

Hope you are doing well also. Tell El Capitan (while I know his access is limited) that I found a house I'd like to sell him down here. It's mullet-friendly.

GO!!!!!
06-22-2006, 05:54 AM
Congrats Mark and it's allways a pleasure, to the out of state fans your a life saver and bring the Pacers dream so much closer to the real fans

I can't imagine life with out you and Slick and dread to think of the past with just a stupid gamecast....

I doubt i'll ever get live tv coverage of the games down here on a regular basis and to be honest, between your coverage and downloadable stats i'm happy.....

Keep up the good work and keep Slick Honest... he can't retire for a long time yet eather

Congratulations

RWB
06-22-2006, 07:20 AM
I don't live in Indy and seeing the above post from Buckett, I take it Jeff Burkett no longer works at WIBC?

His bleacher columns were great and was a true Colt fan. I do worry abour his soul though if he has moved to Florida. If he became a Buc fan that's ok, but if he starts rooting for the fishes there will be he!! to pay. :devil: ;)

Buckett
06-22-2006, 07:29 AM
I don't live in Indy and seeing the above post from Buckett, I take it Jeff Burkett no longer works at WIBC?

His bleacher columns were great and was a true Colt fan. I do worry abour his soul though if he has moved to Florida. If he became a Buc fan that's ok, but if he starts rooting for the fishes there will be he!! to pay. :devil: ;)

Yep, I'm down in Floridiot now. Boyle ran me off. :D

Still a Colts fan, still have season tickets even though I couldn't make it back for a game last year. I'm just ensuring I have a seat when the new stadium opens up. :) We've gone to the Colts-Jax game in Jax the last two years and will be going again this year. Also may make a trip to Dallas for that game as well.

Not a Bucs fan, certainly not a Dolphins fan. Always a Colts fan.

RWB
06-22-2006, 07:38 AM
Jeff, thanks for the update. Hope you received some tips from Boomer while here, just in case you have to wear a Goofy or Mickey suit now. :D

indygeezer
06-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Yep, I'm down in Floridiot now. Boyle ran me off. :D

Still a Colts fan, still have season tickets even though I couldn't make it back for a game last year. I'm just ensuring I have a seat when the new stadium opens up. :) We've gone to the Colts-Jax game in Jax the last two years and will be going again this year. Also may make a trip to Dallas for that game as well.

Not a Bucs fan, certainly not a Dolphins fan. Always a Colts fan.

Just an OT stadium update Jeff. I drive the spaghetti bowl daily. Going west bound on I-70 once you get past Lilly you can really see the progress. I can now easily see the lower bowl and the staircase effect the concrete is shaping up as. Still lots of Rebar (steel) sticking up in the air, but it's taking on a recognizable form.

Side note....my older son was working heavy equipment on the job at first but was laid-off when the fiasco with the bean company hit the fan. He's working elsewhere now.

Kaufman
06-22-2006, 10:35 PM
IS this Buckett from the Jersey Johnny and Buckett show on WIBC? I also am not in Indianapolis though I refer to it as home and Lexington Ky as a temporary residence for me. I hope to get back there in the next couple years.

If this is that Buckett, man you were great for sports radio in Indy. There were a few people who really made it bigger - I think it started with sportstalk on WIBC from 7-9, but now that I think about it a bit harder, maybe it was the Sunday AM show on WNDE with dare I guess Kristi Lee or some woman, and Mark Boyle, maybe. Lets also give some credit to Jim Barbour and the Mark Patricks, Bob Lameys, and other people that I couldn't or wouldn't know how to start thanking.

So who is El Capitan, if you wouldn't mind filling us in on your nickname?

grace
06-23-2006, 01:42 AM

You get infinite number of pages of Google stuff you never heard of.

RWB
06-23-2006, 06:58 AM
IS this Buckett from the Jersey Johnny and Buckett show on WIBC?

:ding:

Buckett
06-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Just an OT stadium update Jeff. I drive the spaghetti bowl daily. Going west bound on I-70 once you get past Lilly you can really see the progress. I can now easily see the lower bowl and the staircase effect the concrete is shaping up as. Still lots of Rebar (steel) sticking up in the air, but it's taking on a recognizable form.

Side note....my older son was working heavy equipment on the job at first but was laid-off when the fiasco with the bean company hit the fan. He's working elsewhere now.

Geezer, thanx for the update. I'll be up in Indy in July for a short time and I plan on going down to the site to see the progress. :)

Kaufman, El Capitan was one of the producers at WIBC. A guy I worked with for several yeas and the eventual short-time successor to me as the producer of the Pacers Radio Network.

RWB, I avoid Mickey land like the plague. Its three hours north of me and has nothing to offer.

If you guys want to know anything and everything about the sport of racing, Boyle would be happy to provide the information. ;)

Kaufman
06-23-2006, 09:59 AM
Mark... what do you think about the IRL race in Richmond this weekend? Another Penske win?

ChicagoJ
06-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Oh my... this won't be pretty.

Mark, to counterbalance that negative vibe, what's your all-time favorite Sinatra song?

Buckett
06-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Oh my... this won't be pretty.

Mark, to counterbalance that negative vibe, what's your all-time favorite Sinatra song?

Suckup. :D

B, answer Kaufman's question!

RWB
06-23-2006, 10:56 AM

B, answer Kaufman's question!

I believe Mr. Boyle usually checks the forum a little later in the evening so his answer might take a while.

Speaking of suckup....notice how Mark receives the Mr. Boyle treatment? Post more Jeff and you may move up to Mr. Buckett. ;)

Kaufman
06-23-2006, 11:03 AM
Speaking of suckup....notice how Mark receives the Mr. Boyle treatment? Post more Jeff and you may move up to Mr. Buckett. ;)

Don't you remember a few months ago when one of the now banned members was addressing him as "hey Boyle"?

So, how about that Penske/Ganassi domination this year...

mboyle1313
06-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Kaufman,

I see it as Penske all the way. Unless, of course, somebody else sneaks in. Either way, I look for a great race and am hoping all the Mensa members that make up the NASCAR fan base enjoy it tremendously.

As for Sinatra, Jay, can there be any doubt that "My Way" is the best? Hard to believe that song was written by Paul Anka (who can forget the epic "Having My Baby" that Mr. Anka penned and performed many years ago).

MJB

Buckett
06-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Kaufman,

I see it as Penske all the way. Unless, of course, somebody else sneaks in. Either way, I look for a great race and am hoping all the Mensa members that make up the NASCAR fan base enjoy it tremendously.

Mark, Mark, Mark.....

While NASCAR does race this weekend, the earlier posts were referring to the IndyCar race at Richmond. Not that you didn't know that already. :)

Bball
06-23-2006, 12:52 PM
Kaufman,

As for Sinatra, Jay, can there be any doubt that "My Way" is the best? Hard to believe that song was written by Paul Anka (who can forget the epic "Having My Baby" that Mr. Anka penned and performed many years ago).

MJB

...Or the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson theme song... (AKA: "Toot Sweet")

-Bball

ChicagoJ
06-23-2006, 12:53 PM

Well, yeah... but I've been stalking Mark since longer than some of these kids have been alive/ Pacers fans. :zip:

RWB
06-23-2006, 12:59 PM
...Or the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson theme song... (AKA: "Toot Sweet")

-Bball

But, could anyone match the genius known as Barry?

State Farm Insurance (Like A Good Neighbor)
Music by Barry Manilow, Jerry Gavin and Keith Reinhard
State Farm Insurance

Stuck On Me (Band-Aid Brand)
Music by Barry Manilow and Donald B. Wood
Band-Aid Brand Adhesive Bandages

Stridex
Music by Barry Manilow
Stridex Acne Fighting Products

Bathroom Bowl Blues (Green Bowlene)
Music by Barry Manilow and Lois Wise
Bowlene Toilet Bowl Cleaner

Dodge
Music by Barry Manilow
DODGE Vehicles

Anthem
06-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Mensa members... classic.

mboyle1313
06-23-2006, 01:11 PM
JBurkett,

Nascar, IRL, IRP, what's the difference? They're all events where guys drive around in circles trying not to crash while thousands of people who couldn't tell you who Indiana's two US Senators are (but could undoubdtedly tell you what the last driver in the field ate for breakfast and the consistency of his ensuing bowel movement) watch in orgasmic rapture.

Yeah, that's the kind of guy I'd like to hang with.

MJB

Kaufman
06-23-2006, 01:27 PM
Lugar... and... Bayh???

Is Lugar still alive??

Buckett
06-23-2006, 01:49 PM
JBurkett,

Nascar, IRL, IRP, what's the difference? They're all events where guys drive around in circles trying not to crash while thousands of people who couldn't tell you who Indiana's two US Senators are (but could undoubdtedly tell you what the last driver in the field ate for breakfast and the consistency of his ensuing bowel movement) watch in orgasmic rapture.

MJB

Ahhhhh, so that's the reason you'd invite me out with you guys after games and then totally ignore me. I see. I'm the stupid kid all the smart kids invite over...the stupid kid then gets all worked up because the cool kids invite him over, only to have his dreams crushed like so many ants following the massive, relentless ridicule.

For shame, Boyle. For shame.

Well, it's not like I didn't already know I was the stupid kid...

Leisure Suit Larry
06-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Lugar... and... Bayh???

Is Lugar still alive??

Yes, Lugar is still alive and a good Senator.

grace
06-23-2006, 01:57 PM
JBurkett,

MJB

I will not argue with him about racing.
I try very hard to forget that Evan Bayh is one of Indiana's Senators.
I WILL NOT ARGUE WITH HIM ABOUT RACING!!!

Oh screw it. I won't argue with or debate it with you, but I will ask you not to lump all auto racing fans into one category. Just as Kstat et al get cranky when people assume all Pistons fans are thugs etc. I see red when someone infers that I'm a moron because I happen to like NASCAR and the IRL.

I have a college degree.
I've been a productive member of the work force for over 20 years.
I vote in every election.
I don't know what Tony Stewart had for breakfast but I do know he's given a heck of a lot of money to various charities and he and Home Depot have built playgrounds across America.
I am not a Jeff Gordon fan, but I do admire him for his campaign to promote bone marrow donation.
Most of all I wish my uncle hadn't gotten a brain tumor. I would have liked for him to have been able to continue his hobby as a race car driver.

P.S. It's not IRP anymore. It's O'Reilly Raceway Park at Indianapolis.

RWB
06-23-2006, 02:05 PM
You forgot one additional thing Grace. You do not look like Mary Hulman George. :-p

mboyle1313
06-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Grace,

Please accept my apology. Though I can see how my previous depiction might be interpreted as all encompassing, I meant it as a generalization. I do not assume that all face fans are imbeciles any more than I think that all Republicans are homophobes.

Oops.

MJB

All,

Perhaps it's not necessary, but I should mention that I hope all of you know these posts are meant to be taken with a grain of salt.

I've found out the hard way over the years that not everyone is plugged into my sense of humor, particularly when it's delivered in written rather than verbal form.

MJB

P.S.: My typing skills aren't the best. Clearly, I meant race fans, not face fans.

Not even sure what a face fan is.

Bball
06-23-2006, 03:07 PM
I've found out the hard way over the years that not everyone is plugged into my sense of humor, particularly when it's delivered in written rather than verbal form.

MJB

You have a sense of humor? I'll be sure and listen for it...

;)

Humor is a funny thing...

:D
-Bball

Leisure Suit Larry
06-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Grace,

Please accept my apology. Though I can see how my previous depiction might be interpreted as all encompassing, I meant it as a generalization. I do not assume that all face fans are imbeciles any more than I think that all Republicans are homophobes.

Oops.

MJB

All,

Perhaps it's not necessary, but I should mention that I hope all of you know these posts are meant to be taken with a grain of salt.

MJB

P.S.: My typing skills aren't the best. Clearly, I meant race fans, not face fans.

Not even sure what a face fan is.

Most Republicans aren't homophobes, we aren't scared of gays, we just don't believe they should be able to get married.

Robertmto
06-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Most Republicans aren't homophobes, we aren't scared of gays, we just don't believe they should be able to get married.

SECOND

ChicagoJ
06-23-2006, 06:02 PM
Someone missed the satire...

Sollozzo
06-23-2006, 07:08 PM
JBurkett,

MJB

Just don't forget what the races that feature the "guys who drive in circles trying not to crash" have done for the city of Indianapolis for almost a century. The Indianapolis 500 is probably taken for granted amongst locals who have no racing interest. I'd hate to see an Indianapolis that existed without "the race."

Not to mention the money brought into the local economy from the 500 and 400, and to a lesser extent.......the f1 race.