PDA

View Full Version : Pacers: Analysis Of Roster Reveals Pacers’ Needs

317Kim
06-18-2006, 07:19 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/draft_needs_060615.html

Analysis Of Roster Reveals Pacers’ Needs

By Conrad Brunner | Indianapolis, June 16, 2006
<HR>
With the draft approaching on June 27 and the free-agent market opening in July, it's important to know what the Pacers might be attempting to acquire in order to improve their standing in the Eastern Conference. Though their roster is well-stocked with talent, an in-depth analysis, not only by position but by overall team skills, reveals needs that are likely to influence the decision-makers in the coming months.

POINT GUARD <HR>
<TABLE width=65 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/anthony_johnson.jpg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Starter: Anthony Johnson (26.4 minutes, 9.2 points, 4.3 assists).
Backups: Jamaal Tinsley (42 games, 9.3 points, 5.0 assists); Sarunas Jasikevicius (20.8 minutes, 7.3 points, 3.0 assists), Eddie Gill* (41 games, 1.1 points).
Free Agents: Gill.
Outlook: Though Tinsley has star-quality talent, he has been unable to remain healthy for the past three seasons. Johnson, a solid workman who exploded for 40 points in the playoff finale, has earned the team's respect. After a strong start, Jasikevicius hit the wall and struggled to adjust to the NBA pace, particularly defensively. Gill was rarely used.
Need: For one player to be established clearly and unequivocally as the starter, because this position is too important to be clouded by uncertainty. What remains to be seen is if that player is on the current roster.

SHOOTING GUARD <HR>
<TABLE width=65 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/stephen_jackson.jpg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Starter: Stephen Jackson (16.4 points, 3.9 rebounds, 2.8 assists, .411 FG).
Backup: Fred Jones* (9.6 points).
Free Agents: Jones (restricted).
Outlook: Jackson did not deal well with the pressure of replacing Reggie Miller as the starter and struggled throughout the season, both with his inconsistent productivity and erratic emotions. He appears to be a player more comfortable in a secondary role, rather than primary. Jones provided solid scoring and defense off the bench.
Need: Given Jackson's makeup and the possibility of another team outbidding the Pacers for Jones' services, a strong backup, at the very least.

SMALL FORWARD <HR>
<TABLE width=65 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/predrag_stojakovic.jpg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Starter: Peja Stojakovic* (18.2 points, 5.8 rebounds, .401 3FG).
Backups: Danny Granger (7.5 points, 4.9 rebounds).
Free Agents: Stojakovic.
Outlook: If Stojakovic re-signs, this will be the team's strongest position. Stojakovic enjoyed a strong resurgence after joining the Pacers, and Danny Granger has the look of a future star after a strong rookie season.
Need: For Stojakovic to remain in Indianapolis, otherwise this would become a trouble spot, at least in terms of depth.

POWER FORWARD <HR>
<TABLE width=65 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/jermaine_oneal.jpg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Starter: Jermaine O'Neal (51 games, 20.1 points, 9.3 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 2.29 blocks).
Backups: Austin Croshere (8.2 points, 5.3 rebounds).
Free Agents: None.
Outlook: Two straight truncated seasons have created concerns about O'Neal's ability to remain healthy, offering Croshere more opportunity than expected to re-establish his value. O'Neal has vowed to lose weight, get in better shape and have the best season of his career.
Need: For O'Neal to fulfill that promise.

CENTER <HR>
<TABLE width=65 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/jeff_foster.jpg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Starter: Jeff Foster (63 games, 5.9 points, 9.1 rebounds).
Backups: David Harrison (67 games, 5.7 points, 3.8 rebounds); Scot Pollard* (45 games, 3.8 points, 4.8 rebounds).
Free Agents: Pollard.
Outlook: Foster has battled injury problems the last two seasons, opening the door for Harrison, but the young center has been slow to develop. Pollard also has had health issues, mitigating his effectiveness.
Need: Particularly if Pollard leaves, a strong physical presence to complement O'Neal, and a 15-foot jump shot wouldn't hurt.

TEAM <HR>
Offense: The Pacers have more perimeter firepower than most and O'Neal provides a strong post presence, but they lack players with the creative ability to make something happen when the offense breaks down.
Defense: In the backcourt, the Pacers have been leaky for years, putting far too much pressure on the interior defenders to rotate and provide help. O'Neal and Harrison provide shot-blocking but team rebounding also has been a problem.
Needs: The ideal would be to find a player capable of creating plays, offensively, while shoring up the perimeter defense, although a secondary need would be to strengthen the frontcourt rotation.

* Indicates free agent

Young
06-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Needs: The ideal would be to find a player capable of creating plays, offensively, while shoring up the perimeter defense, although a secondary need would be to strengthen the frontcourt rotation.

Brandon Roy or Randy Foye would work. :)

Anthem
06-18-2006, 08:14 PM
Pretty good writup by Conrad.

Bball
06-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Starter: Stephen Jackson (16.4 points, 3.9 rebounds, 2.8 assists, .411 FG).
Outlook: Jackson did not deal well with the pressure of replacing Reggie Miller as the starter and struggled throughout the season, both with his inconsistent productivity and erratic emotions. He appears to be a player more comfortable in a secondary role, rather than primary. Jones provided solid scoring and defense off the bench.
Need: Given Jackson's makeup and the possibility of another team outbidding the Pacers for Jones' services, a strong backup, at the very least.

Given Jackson's makeup, and the potential loss of Jones, the Pacers need a strong backup at the very least. :confused:

Is this a signal Sjax might not be as 'gone' as some of us have figured? The whole thing makes it sound like his role might change before his area code.

-Bball

pizza guy
06-18-2006, 08:36 PM
I think "at the very least" suggests something other than that Bball. Conrad is just not in a position to say, "we REALLY need help at SG because we're losing one to FA, and the other is a clown that we're going to trade." "At the very least" speaks volumes to me.

Bball
06-18-2006, 09:51 PM
I think "at the very least" suggests something other than that Bball. Conrad is just not in a position to say, "we REALLY need help at SG because we're losing one to FA, and the other is a clown that we're going to trade." "At the very least" speaks volumes to me.

Yip... that makes sense.

-Bball

Suaveness
06-18-2006, 10:14 PM
The Pacers have more perimeter firepower than most

Where? Last time I checked, Peja was the only capable of shooting consistantly...

CableKC
06-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Need: For O'Neal to fulfill that promise.

^^^That .... :( .... and a need for a solid Backup PF WHEN JONeal gets injured....unless we shift Foster over to become the 1st Big Man off the bench.

D-BONE
06-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Where? Last time I checked, Peja was the only capable of shooting consistantly...

My reaction, too.

JayRedd
06-19-2006, 02:26 PM

Agreed. I don't think you'll ever see me mentioning "firepower" and "perimeter" in the same sentence regarding the Pacers. Unless I was writing, "I wish I had firepower like in Super Mario Bros. so that I could light all of our permeter players ablaze." At least then we couldn't overpay Peja.

DisplacedKnick
06-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Pretty good writup by Conrad.

Much better than I expected - he pretty much nailed the Pacer needs though I agree that I'm not sure perimeter shooting is a strength. With Peja you're OK - middle of the league IMO. Without him it's weak.

Still, I was expecting some sort of fluff piece where he'd write, frex, "Stephen Jackson showed signs that he was ready to become a premier perimeter player this season - he just needs to become more consistent." Et cetera

Conrad exceeded my expectations.

CableKC
06-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Got this from DraftExpress....which is more of a recap from NBA TV about team needs.

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/draft/draft_miller/indiana_teamneeds_draft.asx

Also...on the same webpage, there is a good NBATV analysis of some of the likely top 20 picks in the draft.

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/draft/draft_miller/indiana_teamneeds_draft.asx

I was impressed by the Rodney Carney profile they had.....he's like Ronnie Brewer...except that he can shoot.

SoupIsGood
06-19-2006, 11:36 PM
Agreed. I don't think you'll ever see me mentioning "firepower" and "perimeter" in the same sentence regarding the Pacers. Unless I was writing, "I wish I had firepower like in Super Mario Bros. so that I could light all of our permeter players ablaze." At least then we couldn't overpay Peja.

:lol: