PDA

View Full Version : Europeans (or other non-Americans) in the Draft?

Anthem
06-18-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm noticing that pretty much all of the guys projected in the first round this year are American products. Is that because no good Europeans put in for the draft this year, because they're spending time in American colleges, or because they're not on reporters' radar yet?

If there are 3 or 4 surprise foreign picks in the first round, does that push some of the college talent down to us?

I usually don't pay a lot of attention to the draft, so I don't know if this is normal or not.

shags
06-18-2006, 05:22 PM
I'm noticing that pretty much all of the guys projected in the first round this year are American products. Is that because no good Europeans put in for the draft this year, because they're spending time in American colleges, or because they're not on reporters' radar yet?

If there are 3 or 4 surprise foreign picks in the first round, does that push some of the college talent down to us?

I usually don't pay a lot of attention to the draft, so I don't know if this is normal or not.

This has been considered one of the weakest drafts for European prospects in years. Early on in the year, there was some wondering whether Bargnani would be the only European drafted in the first round. Foreign prospects have the advantage of not being on the roster immediately, which always helps when good teams are drafting at the end of the first round, or when teams have multiple picks.

Seed
06-19-2006, 08:13 AM
Tiago Splitter, Rudy Fernandez, Renaldas Seibutis: 3 of the more dominant Euroleague prospects decided to skip this year and wait for the next one (the are still young enough to allow it).

An interesting 2nd round potential pick is Yotam Halperin (PG, Israel) who is expected to train for ..Indy.. this week. (Indy is just one of the teams watching him, he's more likely to end up elsewhere).

JayRedd
06-19-2006, 03:00 PM
This has been considered one of the weakest drafts for European prospects in years.

Americans too

Kstat
06-19-2006, 03:20 PM
I see one all-star in this entire draft, if that.

I've been a big Tiago Splitter fan for a long time, but the kid hasn't developed as I thought he would.

BoomBaby31
06-19-2006, 03:48 PM
Sergio Rodriguiz from Spain is suppose to be awesome, European players are on the rise in the NBA but, shocking or not alot of them want to stay in Europe because it's more of a team game then a show off business like Sauras was saying this year. Alot of them only come over here for the money, not because they are dieing to enter the NBA.

Kstat
06-19-2006, 06:31 PM
well, that and maybe they know they're not good enough.....