PDA

View Full Version : DW on ch13

OTD
06-16-2006, 06:52 PM
RC will probably have a contract extrenion before the season starts. OJ is not going to betraded. I for one hope that RC can pull this team togather. No one could do a better job the past 2 years, most teams lose one prayer and they are belly up. Only one weakness I could see, is that He would not make Jackson stop complaining to the refs. and stop holding the ball till the last sec.

Lord Helmet
06-16-2006, 07:05 PM
OJ? You mean AJ, right?

317Kim
06-16-2006, 07:09 PM
I thought it was JO. :shrug:

Hicks
06-16-2006, 07:10 PM
Keeping OJ Simpson on the roster is about the only way to lower the reputation of our players from the past 2 years. :laugh:

I think he meant JO. ;)

Lord Helmet
06-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Keeping OJ Simpson on the roster is about the only way to lower the reputation of our players from the past 2 years. :laugh:

I think he meant JO. ;)
Yeah.

Evan_The_Dude
06-16-2006, 07:18 PM
OJ would be the 2-guard with a killers instinct we need so badly...

rel
06-16-2006, 07:46 PM
maybe we found a way to get OJ Mayo w/o him going to college....which would be sweet

Young
06-16-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm a little worried about keeping Rick past next season. I feel like he has lost this team, I don't like that.

Shade
06-16-2006, 08:27 PM
What were Walsh's exact words concerning JO not being traded?

Trader Joe
06-16-2006, 09:09 PM

:lmao: :lol2: :lol: :lolchair:

Post of the year material right there.

PacerFan31
06-16-2006, 09:29 PM
What were Walsh's exact words concerning JO not being traded?

And while your at it, would someone also like to remind us of what Donnie said before Jalen Rose was traded also?

grace
06-16-2006, 10:09 PM
He said he wasn't being shopped.

Know why the contract extension isn't until next week? Sunday Donnie and Larry are getting together to thumb wrestle to the death to see if they keep Rick or let him go.

Unclebuck
06-16-2006, 10:11 PM
Did anyone else besides OTD see DW on WTHR ?

Anthem
06-16-2006, 10:22 PM
Anybody record this?

BigMac
06-16-2006, 11:53 PM
Anybody record this?

WTHR Did. Try this link. If it does not work go to www.wthr.com (http://www.wthr.com)

javascript:playVideo('836151',%20'Donnie%20Walsh%2 0-%20complete%20interview',%20'v',%20'Sport',%20'408 000',%20'Homepage',%20'',%20'');

blanket
06-17-2006, 12:20 AM
mms://a487.m.akastream.net/7/487/7621/v001/

didn't sound to me like a contract extension for Rick is necessarily gonna happen, just that he'll be the coach for this season.

Also, I think he showed his hand in regard to Tinsley. The reporter asked what's going on with Jamaal and DW's first comment was something like "we don't talk about potential trades." I might have that a bit wrong, but that was the tone I took away from it...

microwave_oven
06-17-2006, 01:50 AM
After hearing that, you have to believe that Jamaal is on his way out.

Peck
06-17-2006, 02:13 AM
Actually I'm glad I watched that. When you guys first posted about this last evening & I read what was said without actually hearing it, I was about to lose my mind thinking this was going to be the same old same old from Donnie about "no kneejerk trades", etc., etc.

But to my suprise he was honest & open about problems last season & he said that they were looking to make changes, not that they were just listening to other teams offers. That's kind of a new statement for him to make.

Overall I thought that may have been the best interview I've ever seen or heard him do.

indygeezer
06-17-2006, 04:17 AM
Actually I'm glad I watched that. When you guys first posted about this last evening & I read what was said without actually hearing it, I was about to lose my mind thinking this was going to be the same old same old from Donnie about "no kneejerk trades", etc., etc.

But to my suprise he was honest & open about problems last season & he said that they were looking to make changes, not that they were just listening to other teams offers. That's kind of a new statement for him to make.

Overall I thought that may have been the best interview I've ever seen or heard him do.

Agree with Peck. One other...he didn't look or sound like a guy thinking of retirement in a year. He seemed like he still has the interest and drive to go at it as long as a Holzman or Aurebach IMO. I can't imagine him sitting around the house watching Wheel of Fortune all day. And doddling on his grandchildren may be great fun for him but you can only take that for about 2 weeks and then ya gotta do something sane.

Will Galen
06-17-2006, 04:36 AM
Agree with Peck. One other...he didn't look or sound like a guy thinking of retirement in a year. He seemed like he still has the interest and drive to go at it as long as a Holzman or Aurebach IMO. I can't imagine him sitting around the house watching Wheel of Fortune all day. And doddling on his grandchildren may be great fun for him but you can only take that for about 2 weeks and then ya gotta do something sane.

The voice of experience, huh? (Giggle, giggle, snort)

Back to topic. The Pacers keep mentioning trading two or three people. Donnie said that was a lot of change. Plus he wants to resign the Pacers free agents. Whether they resign Gill or not will probably depend on what happens with the other three point guards, but I think he's gone.

Reading between the lines I think the Pacers want a couple nice players in the draft, and want to trade Tinsley and Jackson, and resign, Peja, Scot, and Fred. I really doubt if it goes down exactly like that though.

I would also venture to guess that the two players Bird is interested in in the first round are Brewer, and that Spanish point guard.

fooddaman
06-17-2006, 08:31 AM

Yes, and it would give us the much needed slasher ...;)

Sorry, couldn't resist:D

Unclebuck
06-17-2006, 09:54 AM
I don't know what is more interesting, listening to what DW had to say or the many different interpretations on what DW had to say.

Here is my take

- Tinsley is gone.
- Rick will coach the Pacers next season, no extension (I think the Simon's aren't willing to pay two coaches right now)
- JO will be back unless the Pacers
- DW will not accept the on court behavior again

OTD
06-17-2006, 09:59 AM
Yep my mistake I meant JO but maybe OJ would be good against Shack LOL

BlueNGold
06-17-2006, 10:24 AM
I don't know what is more interesting, listening to what DW had to say or the many different interpretations on what DW had to say.

Here is my take

- Tinsley is gone.
- Rick will coach the Pacers next season, no extension (I think the Simon's aren't willing to pay two coaches right now)
- DW will not accept the on court behavior again

DW could not have made it more clear that Tinsley is out without saying it. Clearly, Tin man is guilty of more than injury problems.

I agree with your assessment of Rick's situation and the Simon's position. ...but I think Rick has a shot of being retained past next year. I think it will depend directly on how next season goes.

I think what he said about JO was generally the truth. He is not untouchable, but will be traded if the right deal comes along. He is awfully good, but he is overpaid based on his health situation. If JO has another setback physically, he may not be worth much on the open market...so I am in favor of moving him for the right deal.

I hope your last point is right. I think Bird will wear the pants if RC cannot. I doubt Tin man and Jax will be around for Rick to deal with, so that should help.

Anthem
06-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Unless they what? Get KG in return?

Unclebuck
06-17-2006, 11:09 AM
Unless they what? Get KG in return?

Oops I didn't finish my thought

They aren't looking to trade JO, but they are open to the idea if a very good offer is made.

You say well isn't that the same with every player. No. Jax and JT are going to be traded no matter what offer they get

Jermaniac
06-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Jermaine O'Neal will be in a Pacers uniform come next season. "We're really not throwing him out there as a trade player," Walsh said. "If you're gonna do that there's only two or three players in the league you'd even consider, and I don't think that's gonna happen. So any rumors that you hear about him, I think, are invalid."

YESUR, "2-3 players you'd even consider."

Robertmto
06-17-2006, 12:06 PM
YESUR, "2-3 players you'd even consider."

Bonner, Mo Pete and CV

:D

Bball
06-17-2006, 02:09 PM
OJ would be someone with the ability to knife thru the lane.

There are books written about OJ's defense so no problems there.

Peyton might be "The Glove" by OJ could surely be the other 'Glove'.... that said, it's hard to say if that would truly fit OJ in the end.

OJ has shown he could be a leader as he led the police thru the freeways of Los Angelos.

Maybe Kato could stay at DW's?

-Bball

bulldog
06-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Bonner, Mo Pete and CV
:laugh:

grace
06-17-2006, 02:49 PM
Jax and JT are going to be traded no matter what offer they get

No matter what they get? Even I don't think Larry is that stupid.

SoupIsGood
06-18-2006, 08:55 AM
I'm getting the feeling that next year is Rick's last shot. If he does well, we extend him, if not.... bye-bye Ricky.

I guess he deserves that last chance with a sane team, too.

pizza guy
06-18-2006, 10:01 AM
From watching the video, here's what I took from a little reading between the lines.

Rick has another year to try, and his contract extension depends on the team's success.

JTins is not on the best of terms with DW. "Where ever Jamaal is, we've got people working with him..." Wow, that doesn't sound much like "We really like Jamaal and we'll do anything to keep him."

JO is safe. Of course, we all know DW's "We're not shopping Jalen" policy, but taking his entire comment concerning JO, I think he's safe and he will be in a Pacers' uni next year. IMO, he's in the same boat as Rick - if it's not next year, his time as a Pacer may be in jeopardy.

SJax is gone. He never said his name, but you could tell that DW wants to change the appearance of the team, the respect, and the quality of the people who are playing here. None of it ever mentioned SJax, but it was obvious that's who he was talking about.

There will be some moves. I'm not sure to what extent, but there will be moves. I could see us getting rid of JTins and SJax, and maybe moving up in the draft. Not much more unless we neglect our FAs to sign another. It'll be a fun summer.

hoopsforlife
06-18-2006, 10:54 AM
From watching the video, here's what I took from a little reading between the lines.

JTins is not on the best of terms with DW. "Where ever Jamaal is, we've got people working with him..." Wow, that doesn't sound much like "We really like Jamaal and we'll do anything to keep him."

This is what I got from DW. We have hired two new Pacer trainers.

Los Angeles
06-18-2006, 07:58 PM
I'm getting the feeling that next year is Rick's last shot. If he does well, we extend him, if not.... bye-bye Ricky.

I guess he deserves that last chance with a sane team, too.
Bad business. If he does well without a contract extension, he can pit two teams against each other in a bidding war, and that means paying way too much for the coach just as the company is in need to pinch pennies (loss of ticket sales, loss of interest).

The way I see it, they only have two choices: if you want him past next year, sign him now while he's cheap, or let him go.

After seeing him in action for the last three years, his bosses either want his style for the next 4 years, or they don't.

Bball
06-18-2006, 08:14 PM
Bad business. If he does well without a contract extension, he can pit two teams against each other in a bidding war, and that means paying way too much for the coach just as the company is in need to pinch pennies (loss of ticket sales, loss of interest).

The way I see it, they only have two choices: if you want him past next year, sign him now while he's cheap, or let him go.

After seeing him in action for the last three years, his bosses either want his style for the next 4 years, or they don't.

Maybe if they offer an extension at all it is not 4 years and thus, part of the problem (on the business end).

-Bball

Unclebuck
06-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Usually extensions are for two years

grace
06-18-2006, 09:44 PM
You know what? If Rick can turn this team around he's going to be in demand. For all we know Isiah will steal him away from the Pacers. Then where will Larry be?

No, I don't think it will happen, but it could.

Los Angeles
06-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Usually extensions are for two years
Fair enough, next 3 years, not four. Either way, the decision shouldn't be that complicated.

JayRedd
06-19-2006, 02:39 PM

Too bad we didn't have this guy two years ago. After Stern saw what Orenthal James did in the stands, Artest probably would have only gotten 20 games.

Young
06-19-2006, 02:45 PM
You know what? If Rick can turn this team around he's going to be in demand. For all we know Isiah will steal him away from the Pacers. Then where will Larry be?

I don't think that Isiah would ever hire Rick, the guy who replaced him in Indiana, but that's just my opinion.